Legacy (DayZ)

The one and only Anti-PVP/PvP Discussion thread! Whine/discuss here!

Just need severs with the friendly fire off. Arma2 had it and the dreaded bananna phone so why not this?

Did you read the OP? It's part of the god damn game man. You know how boring it would be if there was no fear in the back of your mind that another player might be right around the corner ready to kill you.

People would also abuse it by getting good gear on a no friendly fire server then using it all on PvP servers

The mod has purple-fever already, as bad as any mmo.

If you create l33t gear, players will min/max to get it.

Is the game about surviving in a zombie apocalypse on a day-to-day, moment-to-moment basis? Or is it about min/maxing to accumulate the best gear?

I want to play the former. If I want to play the latter, WoW has already perfected it.

The focus of this mod's gameplay isn't real clear right now.

Emergent police forces. I'm sure there's good survivors who want to go all Brotherhood of Steel on this game's ass. Give clan patch functionality on uniforms' date=' so bandits and friendlies know who not to screw with, who they can trust. Bandits can recognize their own. Private militaries can be reputed and feared.

It's just a matter of enabling [i']people to be moral and penalize the immoral. Same as the R L.

So what happens when a few bandits kill some good guys and start wearing the captured outfits? :D

They would never want that ability, its all about gimping one side and giving the power to the other, just like any MMO

How would having clan patches gimp one side?

You don't read do you. He said that the bandits should be able to kill and get that specific 'clan' clothing and wear it.

I would imagine that the US servers are even worse because every game I've played the US servers seem to have more rage/bm/and unsocial behaviour.

I never shoot first' date=' which I think will cost me many "You are Dead"'s in the long run. That's ok, cause I want to be a good guy. Just shooting everyone on sight is the easy option, and as we know the easy way is for the weak.

[/quote']

First off, how do you get rage when side chat is turned off? And second, you can call KoS weak, but in the end only one of us is alive and that's what matters the most. Dismissing the victor is the last resort of the truly weak.

My phrasing was poor. I meant "every other game I've played in the US servers". I don't play DayZ on US servers due to latency issues.

I disagree with you on the latter point. I never said I intentionally will let myself be shot and lose because I'm such a care bear. What I mean is playing without KoS mentality and surviving is much harder and requires a lot of skill, patience and planning. You have to be very aware of your surroundings, position snipers or observers in overwatch and do everything you can so you won't be suprised by other players who will often shoot you without question.

Most times you can just avoid the other players when you track their movements well enough, but if you have to confront them you can have a sniper and yourself aiming at said individual and ask whether he's friendly and act accordingly. Not shooting on sight doesn't mean you offer yourself to be shot at, but only that you have to play more tactfully.

Everyone and their brother with a Makarov can just shoot on sight and I think this reduces the overall excitement and enjoyment of the survivor interaction element. So if you pick this easy way, it demonstrates you only care about yourself and your gear. This kind of behavior could turn the game into a loot gathering game and reduce meaningful survivor interaction. It is a sign of weakness to allow a few betrayals and PKs to frustrate you into being a bandit. If everyone did this, soon we'd have nothing but a bandit filled deathmat... oh wait, shit.

I recommend not killing on sight to everyone not classifying themselves as a bandit. It adds more meaningful player interaction and it also requires you to play more carefully. I restate my case: only caring about yourself and your gear is not the best mindset for this game. It belongs in there as anyone can play the way they want, but it should not be the only mindset, lest the deathmatches continue.

check out my signature for Dean Hall specifically stating in a fresh interview, that banditry will not be punished in any way. let's see those tears carebears :D

PVP isnt the problem its the people. Bandits make since, but most people in this game arnt bandits, thier cold blooded killers. Bandits move in, take what they need and leave. Sure they will kill you but they will take your stuff and keep it moving. People on here wait on roof tops and hills to snipe you, just to kill you. They are basicly bullies and have issues. They seem to get something out of shooting unarmed players from the roofs. I dont see much difficulty in that, so if shooting a unarmed player gets you a sense of acomplishment then by all means continue. Now what about those complaing about pvp, that it should go. Thats just stupid, by now its pretty easy to avoid zombies so if theres no pvp then really you dont need all the weapons, because realisticly the only reason you need a gun is to defend against a real player. So in the end its as stated before if you want to survive make a group of your friends or avoid main cities.

Sugestion- Leave pvp and just create some reasons to choose one or the other

First one I killed I felt guilty.

Just killed two on the NW airfield. One spawned a meter before me. Now I am glad it wasn't me. :D And I got the water bottle I needed.

Anyone with a gun has to die ... only way to survive. :heart:

The REAL PROBLEM is there is NO BANDIT in that game.

There are only murderers killing you and disconnecting to avoid your friends/zombie aggro/repositionning.

Banditry takes some balls.

In DayZ, I just see exploiters.

Fix that then enjoy real bandits!

No, the real problem is that it's too easy to get your hands on a military grade weapon.

In my opinion, there should not be any .50 cal barret or M4 in an apocalypse scenario. Civilians would not be able to use them anyway.

I got a sniper once, the DMR, and it was ridiculous how powerful I was then. Then another sniper got me, and i'm all pathetic again until I find another sniper rifle. It's becoming some sort of a sniping simulation out there.

I love the fact that there's pvp in the game (and i killed my share of players), but the loot regulation needs a LOT of work, IMO.

No' date=' the real problem is that it's too easy to get your hands on a military grade weapon.

In my opinion, there should not be any .50 cal barret or M4 in an apocalypse scenario. Civilians would not be able to use them anyway.

I got a sniper once, the DMR, and it was ridiculous how powerful I was then. Then another sniper got me, and i'm all pathetic again until I find another sniper rifle. It's becoming some sort of a sniping simulation out there.

I love the fact that there's pvp in the game (and i killed my share of players), but the loot regulation needs a LOT of work, IMO.

[/quote']

Thats an other problem of importance.

But thats not what breaks the gameplay mechanics at the moment.

People need to think TWICE before going in a firefight. NO ONE DOES at the moment cause everyone can deco at any point.

THAT is game breaking. Immersion breaking. Love breaking. Leg breaking.

I really hope that Rocket will have the capacity (knowing the arma 2 engine) to properly fix that.

If you want my opinion on PvP i think that the current system of PvP is pretty much ok. What the system is missing is some form of benefits for being in a group, something to make players actually want to group up with other people instead of just shoot on sight. Currently there is no point in doing anything but kill other players you see because only good things can come out of killing them (in all honesty i am alright with that). There is also really no point in grouping up with a person because the benefits of that are severely outweighed by the benefits of killing the person. So what i am suggesting is keep all the benefits of killing people, that should remain a still good option when confronting a player, but balance that option with the option of grouping with people, make the benefits of each equal. I am completely against the total removal of PvP (that would just ruin DayZ) and i am against a humanity system because that is just too unrealistic. The simple but effective fix for the PvP problem is to do something to encourage players grouping with other players they dont know.

Make settlements that can be built but there has to a group of x number of survivors first......

Just tossing out random ideas: fyi for the hyper-sensitive ones before they get their panties all in a bunch and start posting about how stupid the idea is.

check out my signature for Dean Hall specifically stating in a fresh interview' date=' that banditry will not be punished in any way. let's see those tears carebears :D

[/quote']

And that video is why the thread should be closed, he's clearly stated it will never be punished or stifled in any way.

check out my signature for Dean Hall specifically stating in a fresh interview' date=' that banditry will not be punished in any way. let's see those tears carebears :D

[/quote']

And that video is why the thread should be closed, he's clearly stated it will never be punished or stifled in any way.

Why, exactly, do you care so much that this discussion be closed? Here's a novel idea... Go read another section of the forums. Let people who want to discuss amongst themselves whatever topics are important to them.

I'm comfortable speaking for everyone in this thread that not a single person posting in this thread, in its entirety, expects that PVP is going to be removed.

Most would probably even agree that a handicapping or otherwise system of punishment for PVP will never be implemented.

The discussion more or less switches from "Let's bitch about how much we hate PVP" (which is fine. Bitching and moaning can be theraputic.) to "Let's try to come up with some sort of system that reduces PVP by way of introducing other valuable gameplay options." (which is cool, because a nugget of a good idea can stem from anywhere) to defense from dicks like yourself who only want to argue for the sake of being that awesomesauce internet tough guy. (which isn't all that cool, because it doesn't accomplish anything)

If you don't want to read this shit and see how many carebears enjoy Dayz enough to want to come here and speak with other likeminded people, go read something else.

Desiring this thread to close simply because it holds an opinion that you disagree with is beyond ridiculous. Good job.

[/quote']

Why, exactly, do you care so much that this discussion be closed? Here's a novel idea... Go read another section of the forums. Let people who want to discuss amongst themselves whatever topics are important to them.

I'm comfortable speaking for everyone in this thread that not a single person posting in this thread, in its entirety, expects that PVP is going to be removed.

Most would probably even agree that a handicapping or otherwise system of punishment for PVP will never be implemented.

The discussion more or less switches from "Let's bitch about how much we hate PVP" (which is fine. Bitching and moaning can be theraputic.) to "Let's try to come up with some sort of system that reduces PVP by way of introducing other valuable gameplay options." (which is cool, because a nugget of a good idea can stem from anywhere) to defense from dicks like yourself who only want to argue for the sake of being that awesomesauce internet tough guy. (which isn't all that cool, because it doesn't accomplish anything)

If you don't want to read this shit and see how many carebears enjoy Dayz enough to want to come here and speak with other likeminded people, go read something else.

Desiring this thread to close simply because it holds an opinion that you disagree with is beyond ridiculous. Good job.

The whole purpose of this thread was to reduce the amount of whiny ass posts from individuals like yourself, who cannot cope with the game they want to play. Obviously, you can see that the mods have not done their job and kept this as the one and only place to piss & moan about PVP, so it's usefulness as a pinned thread has diminished.

I could go through the thread and pick out every single time someone suggested PVP be changed or removed, but that would be doing the work you should be doing.

Internet tough guy? Hardly. Placing a label on someone to diminish their credibility is a terrible last resort, i've had many conversations that may have been heated, yes, but i've never flipped my shit on someone and threatened them or anything of that nature.

You want to point the finger at someone? Look at yourself, 90% of all the posts you've contributed here has been you talking down to someone telling them how THEY are the problem, maybe you should take a moment and look at how much of a problem YOU are. You're the one who bitched, pissed & moaned that side chat got taken away, you're the one who complained about it taking effort to find a group because you're lazy, you're the one who likes to throw your 2 cents into a conversation to stir things up (much like this post) and when people reply you act like you're the one taking the high road and how you're so above it. Hell you even posted in that stupid LGBT thread telling people to not insult others.

There has been countless discussions taking place in this thread, and multiple ideas have been given. The only person that hasn't contributed is you.

Tl;dr, you're still a douche.

I'll deconstruct a few of your fallacies here though;

A) The LGBT thread where I told people not to insult each other? I'm pretty sure I only made mention that a clearly religiously-based counter-troll came into it, and I thought maybe he was going to take it too far. My bad.

B) I've been generally pretty reactionary in my dickishness.

C) You're the one who wants to close the thread because you don't want to hear it anymore.

D) Reading comprehension fail. Show me all those times people said they want PVP removed entirely, and I'll show you somebody who probably knows that is entirely unlikely.

That's what I said, wasn't it? That they don't really expect it to be removed?

E) You're still a douche.

If i wanted to play a game and deal with trolls id go play WOW. The way this game is headed the only players still playing it will be nubs trolls and griefers. The pvp aspect of a zombie survival game is great but there are people who hate pvp games and will drop it like most of my friends have. You cant go anywhere without being shot by a sniper and in all major cities you cant enter any building since there is barbwire and tank traps in all the doorways. You cant make a base camp since anything to place can be circumvented by just going to another server and walk 5 feet and log back on to previous server and you got past the barricade. It would be nice to give the servers the option to have player pvp or pve type servers. Player gear and spawn location should be saved on the server you play alot not on a centralized server it just alows people to server hop and farm gear without doing any work. This latest patch added a new griefer item the bear trap i cant wait for the servers to have hundreds of them all over in cherno and elektro. so for my final statement pvp should be set so servers can turn it off if you dont want to play pvp at all and yes this post will get flamed from the 90% troll community :@

Tl;dr' date=' you're still a douche.

I'll deconstruct a few of your fallacies here though;

A) The LGBT thread where I told people not to insult each other? I'm pretty sure I only made mention that a clearly religiously-based counter-troll came into it, and I thought maybe he was going to take it too far. My bad.

B) I've been generally pretty reactionary in my dickishness.

C) You're the one who wants to close the thread because you don't want to hear it anymore.

D) Reading comprehension fail. Show me all those times people said they want PVP removed entirely, and I'll show you somebody who probably knows that is entirely unlikely.

That's what I said, wasn't it? That they don't really expect it to be removed?

E) You're still a douche.

[/quote']

Oh you're so edgy. He refuted my points! Quick! Think of a witty insult! Go lobby some more for side chat to be brought back and PVP to be gimped. You have the argumentative skills of a turnip, go back to Darkfall or whatever shithole you crawled out of.

Also,

Has anyone here even actually played any of the recent Call of Duty games? Modern Warfare 3 is extraordinarily fun a game.

Thanks for making your further input null and void.

Oh you're so edgy. He refuted my points! Quick! Think of a witty insult! Go lobby some more for side chat to be brought back and PVP to be gimped. You have the argumentative skills of a turnip, go back to Darkfall or whatever shithole you crawled out of.

Also,

He's arguing just to argue man, people like him never make sense. He'll live in some delusion where there was less banditry with bandit skins, less backstabbing, and where sidechat actually helped survivors (and not the bandits who zeroed in on morons). Stats be damned.

Also,

Lol, because the capability to enjoy two different styles of FPS means my input isn't legitimate.

I'm appreciative of your argumentative nature because, yes, as Septus says, I'm arguing just to argue. And you're returning each with more ammunition for me to enjoy myself. Where have I mentioned desiring to gimp PVP? Show me one quote I have ever made that has said 'I want PVP to be removed or a system of artifical punishment put in place'?

Show me that statement I made.

You're pretty quick with the insults, yourself. I've seen you do the exact same thing you railed me about previously (entering a thread to just make some half-assed insult). Hypocrisy is awesome when it's fueled by venomous bullshit, isn't it?

And as for Septus: I don't make sense to you because I desire a polite discussion filled with compromise or at least agree-to-disagree statements. You, on the other hand, want to win and rub it in the internet noses of all the people who don't have the same argument as you.

Also, I thought we went over this before? Stats without context are meaningless. Stats be damned because stats can be skewed to any viewpoint, when there isn't a foundational understanding of those statistics. But whatever floats your boat, my friend. I'm just here for the enjoyment of having the moral high ground, isn't that right, Aaron?

PS - Here's a link, so I can prove to you I'm not lazy!

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/27160-the-yogcast-video-sure-did-ruin-the-community/page__st__40

Whoa there, did you just post an inflamatory comment mid-thread without a point, further unnecessarily cluttering the forums with the kind of bullshitery you despise? Isn't that why I'm bad?

Edited by sevtron

Can we just get more incentive to group up instead of blowing each other away? Perhaps a % loot system which will increase rarer drops if you are in the vacinity of people and a % drop for killing other players. This would make it a more extremist nature. You can either group up and survive and have the oppertunity at better/more loot. Or be a dick and kill other players, and while forgoeing normal loot you get to loot others of their precious things. It would make being a bandit...a bandit and make being a survivor a survivor. Alls we have now are idiots camping on roofs shooting players for the lulz. and it is honestly making this game more frusterating then it is enjoyable.

Lol, because the capability to enjoy two different styles of FPS means my input isn't legitimate.

I'm appreciative of your argumentative nature because, yes, as Septus says, I'm arguing just to argue. And you're returning each with more ammunition for me to enjoy myself. Where have I mentioned desiring to gimp PVP? Show me one quote I have ever made that has said 'I want PVP to be removed or a system of artifical punishment put in place'?

Show me that statement I made.

You're pretty quick with the insults, yourself. I've seen you do the exact same thing you railed me about previously (entering a thread to just make some half-assed insult). Hypocrisy is awesome when it's fueled by venomous bullshit, isn't it?

And as for Septus: I don't make sense to you because I desire a polite discussion filled with compromise or at least agree-to-disagree statements. You, on the other hand, want to win and rub it in the internet noses of all the people who don't have the same argument as you.

Also, I thought we went over this before? Stats without context are meaningless. Stats be damned because stats can be skewed to any viewpoint, when there isn't a foundational understanding of those statistics. But whatever floats your boat, my friend. I'm just here for the enjoyment of having the moral high ground, isn't that right, Aaron?

PS - Here's a link, so I can prove to you I'm not lazy!

http://dayzmod.com/f...ty/page__st__40

Whoa there, did you just post an inflamatory comment mid-thread without a point, further unnecessarily cluttering the forums with the kind of bullshitery you despise? Isn't that why I'm bad?

Good god the typos!

And yes, I made a shitpost about Yogscast, nothing of value was lost etc. Keep rallying for side chat and PvP being gimped, it'll totally happen

That feeling when spawned, went to city and saw someone with makarow, told him i was friendly and had no weapons or items. He tried to shoot me for 5 minutes and didn't hit me once, then i just let him kill me with his axe because i felt bad for him losing 4 makarow clips trying to kill me.

Good god the typos!

And yes, I made a shitpost about Yogscast, nothing of value was lost etc. Keep rallying for side chat and PvP being gimped, it'll totally happen

Yeah, point out there are typos, and skip the entire point of the message. You win!

Again, read what I've said with a little comprehension/critical thinking skills. I do not think PVP is going to be removed or gimped. (Nor have I ever advocated any action to revoke any PVP rights) and I do think side chat is less harmful than it's portrayed,. I want to see things added which encourage more cooperative play rather than enduce more PVP play.

Were there any typos in this one, champ?

PS - Found one! Induce, not enduce!

Edited by sevtron