mangozapp

'No-Fuel' Vehicles and Moby Dick...

Oh what it is to have the sea air in your lungs...!

Ideas for vehicles that do not require fuel (the obvious choice come the Apocalypse).

• One and two-man canoes/kayaks  (silent, fast coastal transport). These might be lifted and carried inland to hide.
  • A small rowing boat (I've run past so many since the mod began... just imagine...  
  • Bicycles that can be folded/dismantled and carried (instead of back-pack) to put inside another vehicle.
  • A racing bicycle (fast on road, slow across fields, unusable in woodland)
  • A mountain bike (slower on-road but usable in woods etc.)
  • A hand-cart, shopping trolley and craftable sled (from wood, tent etc). These allowing transport of large objects/stockpiles by hand (i.e. moving an engine to a damaged vehicle)

Going for broke...

• A Robinson-Crusoe craftable raft propelled with paddles. Option to craft sail from tents.
  • A small sailing yacht.
  • Helicopters? Never... But hot-air balloons - just imagine that for an end-game...   [Craft Hot Air Balloon from 4 Parachutes, Propane bottle? Y/N]

​       OK. Yeah, so those last are pushing it... But nothing ventured, nothing gained.

And another idea relating to the sea that I may post independently another time...

The open sea needs a reason. We have islands coming but, in my opinion, fishing could make it something truly useful to survivors. Nothing new there... But rather than some dice-roll event to catch fish I've been thinking about drifting schools of fish marked by something subtle, a bubbling/darkening of the ocean or seaguls flying above. There need be no resource-hogging fish actually rendered in the water just something to signify you've located one of these drifting zones where a large amount of fish can be caught. 

This addition would give the player a reason to voyage into the open sea instead of merely crossing it as fast as possible to reach an island. Certain schools may be of high value, making them the 'heli-crashes of the sea'. And... Oh crap, another idea... Spawning ship wrecks. Oh damn, I wish I could code  :rolleyes:

Edited by Harmonica
  • Like 9

Yeah baby...

I think this has been made using decommissioned parachutes... Something a survivor might find at a heli crash or Military loot spawn.

Edited by Harmonica
  • Like 1

Going for broke...

• A Robinson-Crusoe craftable raft propelled with paddles. Option to craft sail from tents.
  • A small sailing yacht.
  • Helicopters? Never... But hot-air balloons - just imagine that for an end-game...   [Craft Hot Air Balloon from 10 Tents, gas stove? Y/N]

​       .

This whole section had me at awe.  Please go on with more.

• Like 2

...Please go on with more.

Now you've done it.

• Like 1

Like the ideas man, but a hot air balloon just seem impractical to me. It's basically just a moble tower that everyone would take pot shots at lol. Also the fact that it does not have a way to steer its self.

...It's basically just a moble tower that everyone would take pot shots at lol. Also the fact that it does not have a way to steer its self.

Exactly what might make it a very entertaining expedition/end-game scenario. ...Where it goes, nobody knows!

...You'd need to be free to move and fire inside the basket... And wear a parachute maybe.

Just imagine seeing one rising out of a valley in the distance.. That huge balloon drifting over you at 400m alt.

...Being inside the 'basket' with you two mates and hearing the dreaded sniper bullet whistling past... a hole through the cloth... opening up the propane to try to keep it airborne... 

:D

Edited by Harmonica
  • Like 2

Exactly what might make it a very entertaining expedition/end-game scenario. ...Where it goes, nobody knows!

...You'd need to be free to move and fire inside the basket... And wear a parachute maybe.

Just imagine seeing one rising out of a valley in the distance.. That huge balloon drifting over you at 400m alt.

...Being inside the 'basket' with you two mates and hearing the dreaded sniper bullet whistling past... a hole through the cloth... opening up the propane to try to keep it airborne...

:D

True man not saying it would be fun, but for that matter I would love having a powered parachute. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kFbPCTgLkbM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powered_parachute

Edited by kingrex
  • Like 1

a powered parachute.

Yep, with you on that. It's the kind of simple flying machine that might just be valid for a survivor with a minimum of tools/facilities at his disposal.

I really hope they don't put UH-1H helicopters or something of that kind into the game when they begin working on vehicles - though fun they're just so completely out of context, imo... Those kind's of vehicles require massive resources and continual, highly skilled servicing to keep airborne... a level of technical support and expertise that just ain't going to be available in a DayZ scenario. Unless there happens to be some uncannily preserved military airbase on the map with it's all it's supplies, engineers and support personnel intact.  

• Like 2

I was kind of hoping there would be helicopters, but now you mention it: it does sound rather unrealistic, and I think realism is crucial for this game. Perhaps if they added in some kind of learning system? You could find a book that teaches you helicopter maintenance. Or even one for engine maintenance, one for piloting it, etc. That way using a helicopter is something you really have to work towards. Also, you (and your group if you don't play lone wolf) can jealously guard your top secret books and others would try to steal them. :D

To be honest I wouldn't know the first thing about putting a new engine in a car, I can change the tires, lights and wind-screen wipers and that's about it. >< So if a Zombie apocalypse happens tomorrow first thing I'm going to do is get my hands on a 'how to'.  ^^

Oh yeah, and loving the ideas for vehicles, especially the Kayak.  :D

Edited by Survivor_Sabre
  • Like 1

While an interesting idea, I don't think Moby-Dick is suited to the DayZ atmosphere. As for realism, sperm whales are not known to attack boats, and what are you going to attack the whale with? There are no harpoon cannons and it wouldn't be realistic to include them, there is no whaling in Chernarus. What would you even do with a whale anyways? Also, from what I understand, sperm whales prefer the high seas, the open ocean, and make very deep dives for extended periods, so good luck even seeing one. In addition to all that, Moby-Dick takes place in the early 19th century, the whale would be long since dead.

As for the rest it's pretty reasonable. Boats. Bicycles. I don't see many problems there.

Hot air balloons no. Helicopters before... that.

• Like 1

I don't think Moby-Dick is suited to the DayZ atmosphere. 

Whaa! What cowardly, land-lubberly prattling is this? What a tale t'would make indeed. No sir, if ye've ne'r caught a whale ye'll be nay friend of mine! 

bqirV4C.jpg

• Like 2

Hmm, yes. Indeed. I have been toying with the idea making a detailed suggestion about bicycles... what kinds there should be, what one could expect to find in Chernarus & how their maintainance repair and behaviour etc. could be modeled.

They are the obvious choice for a post-apocalyptic vehicle, after all. Surprising that there are all these threads about cars but practically none on muscle powered transportation. But I guess it is the same with this as with the obsession on military weapons...

While an interesting idea, I don't think Moby-Dick is suited to the DayZ atmosphere.

Endgame Idea:  Ambergris is the cure for the zombie Virus...

• Like 1

Endgame Idea:  Ambergris is the cure for the zombie Virus...

rofl.

EDIT: and subsequent chuckling. Much chuckling.

Edited by Harmonica

handcar.jpg

There should be some hand cars for use on all the new rail tracks that go all over the map. 

Can't believe how many times I thought about this! We should create a topic just for this! :)

• Like 1

Bicycles and shopping carts could also really have a revolutionary effect on the game. Bikes would increase the demand for food and increase the mobility of the average player. Shopping carts (or even wheel barrows) would facilitate larger projects down the line like base construction and auto repair, obviously with the player having to sacrifice a great deal of mobility and protection in order to move their items. You might even see the rise of slavery/indentured servitude if they add wheel barrows. Handcuff a guy to a wheel barrow? Sounds like Day-Z.

trolly.jpg

Edited by Old_Crow_Whiskey
  • Like 3

Edited by Harmonica

..argh.. deleted to 'multiquote' ...well that's thoroughly balls'ed this thread up  :blush:

Edited by Harmonica

player having to sacrifice a great deal of mobility and protection in order to move their items.

Yes indeedy, that was exactly what I were thinking you old crow, carrying engines around in your back-pack in the mod... Hmm. That kind of operation would be a really good method of forcing player interaction: having to gather a team together to transport a heavy item, planning and defending the route from the industrial to the broken vehicle, setting someone to fend off other players from the vehicle while the transport is taking place...All those kind of things add a huge dynamic. In my experiences wtih the Mod, as IRL (?), it's the journey and striving that is the really interesting part of things... Once you have the vehicle running... Well, then you're again at a loss looking for a mission. The more of a challenge these scenario's present the more you have to use your brain and think creatively.

Hmm. I did quite a bit of work myself a couple of months back on the design of an 'unreliability' system for vehicles. ...I can't post it right now as it needs finishing off and making intelligible. But, one of the key changes I was suggesting was making vehicles pushable and reactive to gravity/incline with or without a player present (and the obvious addition of a parking break). That would allow all sorts of crazy things and possibilities. One thing that I just thought would be hilarious was imagining a car stalling or failing to start... The clan inside having to jump out and push the thing before it would start... How funny and nerve-wracking would that be! [TDC] clan desperately bump starting their clapped out Trabant down the run-way at NWAF.   :D

Aye, I'm a bit busy with other things right now but when I get a chance I'll see if I can't quickly finish off my brief for unreliable engines   :rolleyes:(that's why I ain't continued into more depth with the suggestions here, thought I best finish off that idea before getting wrapped up in sailing etc.

Easy now.

Can't believe how many times I thought about this! We should create a topic just for this! :)

Defo, do it.   :)

To give you some support on this, you ain't alone with your dreams of some functionality with the rail system. A while ago I was playing on the Mod and following something a newbie asked (I think) I got a bit cheeky and put something on global chat saying I'd got a train working. ...I thought everyone would realise I was just taking the piss but loads of people believed me and were really excited about it. I think it's a thought that occurs to everyone when they see a train - "F***, I wish I could get that running!" That would be pushing the limitations of the apocalypse and character's believable capabilities but something of this sort... Again, a whole new element. Maybe these things would be one option for transporting a heavy engine etc. across the map to repair a car etc...? 

Edited by Harmonica
  • Like 1

All the major industrial centres have train tracks right up to them, I think it'd be a crying shame if they didn't implement some kind of hand cart for exactly the kind of thing you're talking about. It'd be great.

Totally agree about the engines as well, sure just pack it into your backpack - right next to the heli main rotor assembly and then off you go running to the airbase ! Haha was good enough for the mod, but they can get it right now =) 

Shopping carts are a great idea too - I'm almost certain they'll add them. Very 'The Road', which is supposedly the book that gave Rocket the inspiration to make DayZ in the first place. Such a good book too.

Edited by Richard III in Leicester

Shopping carts sound great - can't believe I didn't think about this when I looted the supermarket last time ;)

And extra-beans for using a Schwarzenegger vid ;)

• Like 1