AustinHyx

Confusion on why FPS is so bad?

I bought DayZ SA a week or so after it was put on the market, I have always had a love hate relationship with DayZ Mod, and standalone is not helping it one bit. For what ever reason I have FPS lower then what I would expect.

My hardware is:  

GPU: GTX 650 Ti Boost SC Edition

CPU: AMD 4350 Vishera 4.1 Ghz Quad Core

RAM: 8GB G Skill DDR3 SDRAM

I use System Rquirments Lab quite often to find out wether a game can run decent on my PC. I am aware that it can be wrong, but with the case of DayZ it gives me this http://gyazo.com/7da78a60cf720538847183df5d93817b

Im not sure if 30 to 40 FPS in open areas and in fields is what SRL considers above the recommended hardware performance is normal, or if standalone just runs that way on certain pieces of hardware.

If someone can give me some information on what mgiht be my issue i would appreciate it greatly. I have searched all over and tried all the changes and fixes and hasn't changed much, other then a few extra frames. 

ArmA is an intensive engine that does not take advantage of the full power of your CPU or GPU.

Post all your graphics settings up, there are certain things in the ArmA/DayZ SA engine that kill FPS that aren't really needed! If you want to do some research yourself look up ArmA 2 graphics/FPS optimisation

Post all your graphics settings up, there are certain things in the ArmA/DayZ SA engine that kill FPS that aren't really needed! If you want to do some research yourself look up ArmA 2 graphics/FPS optimisation

Alpha.

Yeah, pretty much both of these ^^

My hardware is:  

GPU: GTX 650 Ti Boost SC Edition

CPU: AMD 4350 Vishera 4.1 Ghz Quad Core

RAM: 8GB G Skill DDR3 SDRAM

I use System Rquirments Lab quite often to find out wether a game can run decent on my PC. I am aware that it can be wrong, but with the case of DayZ it gives me this http://gyazo.com/7da78a60cf720538847183df5d93817b

Im not sure if 30 to 40 FPS in open areas and in fields is what SRL considers above the recommended hardware performance is normal, or if standalone just runs that way on certain pieces of hardware.

If someone can give me some information on what mgiht be my issue i would appreciate it greatly. I have searched all over and tried all the changes and fixes and hasn't changed much, other then a few extra frames. 

30 to 40 FPS with those settings and that hardware seems to be about right. Remember, the RV engine isn't going to get you the FPS of a CoD or BF game. It isn't optimised for that. It is optimised for large maps / large scale MP games.

Best advice, Set all settings on max and scale them back until you get something that you can both look at without barfing and play at a reasonably fluid level. Ignore the FPS numbers and just play.

I have already tried all the optimization tutorials that I could find, thats why I have resorted to here. I know its alpha but If my friends get 120 FPS and I get 40 then I know its not just the game.

If your friend is getting 120 FPS then we need to be talking to him right now!

Edited by DJPorterNZ

30 to 40 FPS with those settings and that hardware seems to be about right. Remember, the RV engine isn't going to get you the FPS of a CoD or BF game. It isn't optimised for that. It is optimised for large maps / large scale MP games.

Best advice, Set all settings on max and scale them back until you get something that you can both look at without barfing and play at a reasonably fluid level. Ignore the FPS numbers and just play.

If your friend is getting 120 FPS then we need to be talking to him right now!

My friend has a a VERY good PC, I assume he gets 120 but he has said before that he gets around 90ish. I dont play CoD on PC, but I do play BF. Its hard to ignore something that changes the atmosphere.

Considering ArmA 2 has a HORRIBLE engine and I get 60 to 80 frames on it....yes. Im not complaining, I would rather have more, especially sense it seems I should be.

Yea on DayZ mod, but on standalone I get 30-40. And on ArmA 3 I get 60 ish,

Alpha.

I'd actually be more inclined to say "specs".

Alpha.

That is so fucking useless... future features are going to decrease overall performance. >.>

• Like 1

That is so fucking useless... future features are going to decrease overall performance. >.>

Umm... Go watch the video I just posted in the gallery... Dean was just talking with Sacriel about how much more the FPS is going to increase over the coming months...  They're still shifting tons of stuff server side.  They're aiming for 60 fps on mid-level rigs and OP's is definitely upper-middle.

Just have patience...

Edit: I posted part 3 in the gallery... I think it was in part 2 that Dean talks about that but I can't remember now.

Edited by TheLastEmp

A single gtx 650 ti boost is set up to play games on medium settings, im running 2 gtx 660 ti and still hit as low as 40 fps when screen is full, so good luck on hitting 120 fps.

And optimisation will massively improve performance so it will all even out.

Compare performance in the PlanetSide 2 alpha to performance now that it's been better optimised for example.

I never saw a performance boost like planetside2 pushed out with the last 2 performance patches in 15 years of gaming, so comparing it might cause oversized expectations.XD

But yes, wait for it! but its indeed pretty low on your specs, i get 30-40 on lowest settings even on a 9800 gtx+ 512mb ram, quadcore 2,5; 4gb ram...

I never saw a performance boost like planetside2 pushed out with the last 2 performance patches in 15 years of gaming, so comparing it might cause oversized expectations.XD

But yes, wait for it! but its indeed pretty low on your specs, i get 30-40 on lowest settings even on a 9800 gtx+ 512mb ram, quadcore 2,5; 4gb ram...

Really? It's not been that big an improvement for me. I just don't drop as many frames in massive firefights any more.

Really? It's not been that big an improvement for me. I just don't drop as many frames in massive firefights any more.

Well, you have to consider my poor hardware, in front of the first perofrmance patch it was straight out unplayable on my specs, after first patch barely playable, after second patch i get up to 40+ frames. That is, compared to the initial performance on my specs, like a completly different game. So yeah, for me it is the biggest improvement on a system on which improvements realy count, i have ever seen.   :)

please excuse the horrible grammar.

Edited by SprStnd

Umm... Go watch the video I just posted in the gallery... 

No. Adding more AI and more zombies = more CPU strain

Compare performance in the PlanetSide 2 alpha to performance now that it's been better optimised for example.

Seeing as I'm on a laptop that plays DayZ at 15 FPS, I hadn't noticed.

Umm... Go watch the video I just posted in the gallery... Dean was just talking with Sacriel about how much more the FPS is going to increase over the coming months...  They're still shifting tons of stuff server side.  They're aiming for 60 fps on mid-level rigs and OP's is definitely upper-middle.

Just have patience...

Edit: I posted part 3 in the gallery... I think it was in part 2 that Dean talks about that but I can't remember now.

What would be considered a mid-level rig?

my specs are..

http://puu.sh/6zyVU.png

"YOU SHOULD HAVE A GREAT EXPERIENCE RUNNING THIS PRODUCT!"

not in the current stage :D