StonedProphet

Why people need to stop complaining - Rant from veteran gamer/player

Listen people. I've got my own set of kids and wife IRL and have a limited time to play. And yes, I have games like BF4, X-Com EW, Hitman Abs, and all manner of other games on 360. So I could easily thrown my hands up and say "why would I play a half broken game in alpha that I can't even stay alive long enough to have a decent amount of fun in?". But I don't say that, and will never. Why?

1) This isn't a game, it's more like a giant ongoing interactive testing/development process that just so happens to include a couple hundred thousand testers. And only approximately 10 or so developers. We should just be happy the game functions well enough for it to work on this scale at all. We should continue to provide MEANINGFUL bugs and issues with the game that will help improve the gameplay and stability of the overall experience. Not say "Yo, whenz they gonna adds da rockets?! My character iz no workins right! I keeps on dyins when I am runnin arounds!" Not that many people are ACTUALLY saying these exact phrases or implying them ALL the time, but I'm sure you get my intended point.

It is human nature to be focused on the negative. We are bred to identify problems and fix them, and if we can not fix them, we whine about them. Our job as players of this game should be to help make it better with positive feedback and tips to fellow players and present information on game breaking bugs to the community and devs. With such a small team working this project and such a huge, immediate install base, it is no wonder that people will get frustrated. Not everyone is going to have a consistent experience in terms of connection issues, bugs, and player interactions. The idea, while somewhat game breaking, that our character can migrate from sever to server, keeping its character data and inventory saved on the central "hive" server is an achievement alone and will, obviously, not always work as intended.

2)There are no rules. Did anyone see any rules posted or enforced, other than those by individual admins or personal severs? No? Me neither. I see a giant, open ended, persistent world where the only goal is survival. Does it say how you survive? No. Sure, we could all be good little players, never shoot anyone and take there stuff, hand out food and meds to anyone we meet. But why? Does that happen in real life? If the intention was for everyone to be working together then there would be a friendly fire option and it would forced upon us. Can people just shoot someone and take there stuff, or not, and log out and back into another sever and repeat the process? Absolutely. It's annoying, and unfortunate, and I'm sure will be dealt with in some way down the line, but right now it's part of the experience. Deal with it. "But what if I don't want to deal with it and it's destroying my experience?" Well then there are 100's of other servers to try. Or, how about this. STOP PLAYING until you are satisfied that some things are fixed. Just like any other open world game where PvP is active, you will have to deal with issues like this. If you don't like it, don't play it.

KoS is not so much an "issue" as it is a personality type and play style. Again, there are no rules and if KoS means survival to some people, then that is their choice and their right at this point in the games development cycle. There plenty of other games out there that provide some sort if similar experience without this issue. From my humble perspective, the idea of KoS, "Bandits" or whatever is what makes the game tense, interesting , unique, and fun. There is always an inherent sense of danger everywhere you go. When you see something move, you freeze. If it's a player, you start to sweat bullets. Does he/she have a gun? Are they alone? Am I alone? Is someone watching me right now? I mean for the love of god, the game BREEDS that kind if experience. As the game continues to improve and evolve, those confrontations will become more impactful and enjoyable for everyone. Remember, this is permadeath. You die, you start over, unless you have friends with defibs with you, which isn't even proven to work all the time or at all. Hey! Just like real life!

Those of you constantly complaining about these issues, getting shot, hacked, mugged, etc...; just remember if this keeps happening to you, you are doing something to make it happen. Not every single server is filled with people KoSing everyone they see, so maybe it's you that is allowing it to happen. Maybe you were running across the airfield in broad daylight when you joined a server that has 30 people on it. Maybe you didn't know that people camp out at airfields to spam loot drops and kill people for their shit. Well, no you know, and if you keep going there and doing the same things, them it's your own fault. This game is unforgiving and has a learning curve akin to any survival game or scenario. If your playing COD or a shooter online and you constantly go one route and get killed every time, do you yell at the screen and shout profanities? Sure, but maybe u should learn something from what you're doing. Same thing here. You have options, so use them. The map is HUGE and the closest airfield might not be the best option if there are a ton of other people on the same server.

3) "Whats the point of this game? I just walk around and get stuff like shoes and wrenches!" That's the whole point! Don't drop those wrenches! On some servers, they are the most basic form of commerce and should be treated like gold! Wrenches and gray t-shirts! Ok, seriously though, there is no specific goal other than seeing how long you can last. I mean, hey, it's a zombie apocalypse! Should we be meeting elves and wizards and going on side quests? Hell no. Let's just say we had an actual z-apocalypse, and this was 4 years later. Towns have been looted. Buildings destroyed, no gas for cars, no power, limited water? Sorry, that sound pretty plausible to me. If anything this game is more of a simulator than an actual action/rpg/stealth game. If you look at all the little details of the game, most of it is exactly what could happen in real life. There would be canned food, limited sources of water, no cars, limited weapons, etc...

You want goals? Well, this game doesn't have any specific ones so make them for yourself. Pull up a map online and find some landmarks. Hike your way north. Find a castle. Get to the highest point on the map. If you have friends who play with you, take over a town. It's basically a sandbox that you can play how you want, but always with the constant threat of zombie attacks and player attacks. Don't like such an open ended game? Again, DONT PLAY.

In closing, there are many issues with the game as a whole that sometimes limit it's playability. There many features some of us want to see, and some that are already being worked on. This is an experience where we are able to craft our own story and discover how to survive and make things. Did u know you can fix a broken leg with sticks and either duct tape or bandages? Many of you did, but little things like that are what make this game great. And they will continue to evolve, and luckily with input from us as the testers. Yes we paid money for this game, but we are lucky to be involved with the process as much as we are now and to have a dev team that is so interactive and receptive. Stop complaining about things you can't change or that everyone already knows about. Look before you post. This is an alpha and when something doesn't work, we need to remember that fact.

• Like 13

Read it, the OP makes some pretty valid points. I tip my hat to you, good sir.

• Like 1

not gonna read this

Then don't waste time posting in the thread, he spent a good amount of time making good points. Don't wanna read it? Don't? But stfu about it.

• Like 6

you made a post complaining about people who complain.  

Win.

I could honestly care less if 2 people read this. I hope some of the people that have complained or were thinking about these things would understand some basic realities of this game. I would never complain about other peoples style of play and choices made in a game where there are no rules and no one to enforce them if there were any. I don't go around killing people but I won't be mad if I get killed or shot at. That's what makes the game fun. Play the game the way it is or don't play at all.

And yes, it could be viewed as a post complaining about people who complain, but honestly the post itself was to point out certain facts about how to view the game as a whole and not to rant about peoples complaining posts. Anyone can say whatever they want, but they shouldn't be yelled at for it. They should be redirected with alternative opinions that have contrasting view that show the game and certain play styles in a way that can be understood.

All I want is for game improvement and to enjoy myself playing, even if that means getting killed 3 times after I keep spawning. Either way, you make the game what it is by simply playing it.

Edited by StonedProphet
  • Like 1

I read this, and I don't know what it's about. It was well written though.

I think it was a rant about people ranting?...

There is a thin line between complaining and neutrally showing up areas where improvement would be profitable.

The devs dont take complainers seriously, and your essay will not make them stop complaining.

Edited by 27 others
  • Like 1

Read it. 9/10. Would read again. 

One thing I'd like to add: All of the tools that provide a "DayZ experience" are already in play.. DayZ is less about shooting or zombies or surviving even, and more about player interactions, exploration, discovery, tension, fear, and bravery.

If you're bored with this game or annoyed at the shooting mechanics (like I am), remember that there's a much deeper experience in DayZ than just shooting or gathering gear.. Some of the best experiences I've had in the game have come from being under-geared and having to survive on my wits in a situation where people WERE shooting me on sight.. OR, where I used player interaction to defuse a situation or make a friend.. or taunt an enemy.

Anyway.. Just remember there's more to this game than meets the eye.

update: still haven't read this

Update: Nobody gives any more fucks now than the did the last time you posted. Too Long, didn't read? More like "Too Stupid, Couldn't Read."

• Like 3

+1 man, fantastic post really agree with almost all of it. I don't mind KoSers because there would be those people in what I consider as close to a real life situation. Think about the maniacs we have in society, all the murderers, the people who slipped through the cracks? Imagine the Meurls of society running free with a gun, this is the inner psychopath's opportunity to do it without repercussions, just as it would be in a real life scenario.

I appreciate that you took the time and effort to write this comprehensive complaint of why you shouldn`t complain, but the problem is all, or most of the the people raging don`t take time to think reasonably let alone read a long guide for why they shouldnt complain. They just go to the forum and instantly press the "post new topic" button, because they`re angry. It`s the same reason you get people calling customer service for a common problem with a product even if they have a FAQ on their website.

• Like 1

1) This isn't a game, it's more like a giant ongoing interactive testing/development process that just so happens to include a couple hundred thousand testers. And only approximately 10 or so developers.

Stopped reading RIGHT there.

Not sure whats worse; you or the people throwing their beans at you.

Edited by Flight96

good read

Oh look another 16 year old forum staff. How strange that the mental age of this forum seems to be so low.

No link at all.

• Like 1