Sign in to follow this  
Nainakai

Sawn-off Shotgun, not what you'd think.

That is not how shotguns work buddy.[/]

Err, yes it is.

A very short barrel means that the shot is still expanding linearly and laterally as it leave the muzzle instead of mainly linearly in a normal 26" barrel.

The patterning on both the full-length and sawn-off shotguns is significantly larger than it was in ARMA.

Comparison, 15 yards:

Game: ARMA--------IZH-43-------IZH-43 sawn-off

Spread: 15 in-----------28 in----------------95 in

Compared to real life at the same distance according to one test, shot size unknown.

30" barrels---------12" barrels

10 in--------------------12.5 in

You can judge for yourself which game was closer to "real life".... by the way, press "T" to switch to "both barrels at once" and in that mode your sawed-off should have the same patterns as the full-length, for now at least.

Not only does it have a spread over 3 times larger, but the sawed-off version is also 5 times less accurate than the full-length version. Still need to test more to fully verify.

tl;dr: you will get more pellets on target with the full-length. That means more damage which means better chance of killing people.

RL dispersion rates are affected by chokes etc. The only real way to tell would be to get your hands on one of these and fire it. I suspect they were made with a fixed cylinder or improved cylinder choke which would explain the large shot spread. You also wouldn't be able to fire any slugs though tighter chokes.

RL dispersion rates are affected by chokes etc. The only real way to tell would be to get your hands on one of these and fire it. I suspect they were made with a fixed cylinder or improved cylinder choke which would explain the large shot spread. You also wouldn't be able to fire any slugs though tighter chokes.

True.

The sawed-off version will of course have no choke. That being said it won't have anywhere near this amount of increased dispersion. In-game, any increase should be very slight. The barrels are still about 12 inches long, the dispersion would be very similar.

That is not how shotguns work buddy.[/]

Err, yes it is.

A very short barrel means that the shot is still expanding linearly and laterally as it leave the muzzle instead of mainly linearly in a normal 26" barrel.

Not what I was refering to.

What I was suggesting is even at 50 meters regardless of barrel length a buckshot if it hits you will do damage.

Odds of hitting you might be bad but if it does hit it will do quite a bit of damage.

High dispersion, low damage, 2/10, would not use.

Fixed it. 

Anyone try slugs instead of pellets? 

Edited by Solopopo

punching in this game makes me vomit,it completely ruins the point of being a fresh spawn with no way to defend him self.

In the mod finding a fire axe made me happy,in SA it does not matter.

Punching is fine, it just seems that there is a bug where a wild punch can KO someone, I have seen it in videos and this needs to be addressed.

Well I'm guessing this shotgun needs balancing, it should be a one shot KO, second shot kill or if very close then one shot kill no questions asked.

So its probably better to have the long barreled version atm till it gets fixed than?

I can confirm that the sawn off shoots confetti. Was at NEAF in one of the buildings with a cell. Was at the stairs, unloaded both barrels at a guy at the door(who was already hurt btw, heard him moaning) he didnt even bleed and finished me off with his M4, no problems. And I did hit him, I saw the pellet impacts. I was using snap loaders. I guess this needs testing, I still havent shot anyone with the normal shotgun variant.

Edit: Heck, look at this vid. He needs 2 shots to kill a zombie from point blank at 0:50 with the sawnoff. 

Edited by overdosed

Sounds like the same thing that the magnums were suffering from, speedloaded bullets doing nada in terms of damage, curious.

Yesterday I was invincible.

(at least from zombies)

I got caught out by zombies on my trek north and had nothing and i mean nothing because just a minute earlier I lost my pants + flashlight in an attempt

to pick up baggy pants (which also disappeared in  the ground)

The Zombies hit me over and over again and i took no damage and did not bleed.

I could knock them down shortly with my fist but they got up real quick and started attacking again.

Then I just ignored them since they scared the other players away from :)

Long story of a short encounter short : 

A guy rushes me with his fists, takes two 12G-Pellet rounds from my sawn-off to the chest, and does not die, or fall over, nor start to bleed, he knocked me out with a single punch to the face, end of story.

Long version: 

I'm on one of the DE-Experimental servers, I've made my way to Zelenegorsk, was looking around the mid-square when someone runs up to me, we're simularily geared, all though he has no fire arms of any sorts.

I politely tell him via direct voice chat to not follow me, he does not respond, and moments later it's clear that he is not going to comply, I pull out my sawn off and fire a warning shot, he runs off around a corner, I think he'll be on his merry way so I can continue on mine.

Then he comes back and straight at me with his fists, where I then think this is all too silly, and plant the second round in the chamber into his chest, full hit, heard him groan and saw blood splatter, but he aint down, he's circling in a odd fashion as I reload ( snap-loader. ) and as he comes right at me again, he gets the first of my two new rounds into his chest, again - same result, but this time he goes in for a punch, and I'm out at the first try. 

To add insult to injury, the injury beeing that I was scratching my head quite a bit to the fact that he did not start to bleed, or was knocked out from two point blank shotgun shells. 

He suddenly has a voice in direct, wich he uses to toss all sorts of nasty names, to my surprise the voice is that of an adult, seemingly.

Four minutes later, I'm back on the coast, perplexed and confused about my encounter.

*Conclusion*

Does the sawn-off in combination with snap-loaded pellet-rounds somehow turn into blank cartridges; -  Or was he just extremely lucky?

Edited by Rauchsauger

I'm the first to admit my ignorance on shotgun / pellet dynamics, so I'll have to preface this with a couple assumed physics considerations: First, a choke shouldn't have a noticeable effect on muzzle velocity. Even in tapering the barrel, the inherent gaps of air in the pellet group ought to minimize any impact on restricted air flow through the choke-- this also applies to sawing the barrel, which is effectively nothing more than a choke modification (at least insofar as the ballistics are concerned.) Second, the only significant impact of a choke is shot spread, which the ideal grouping is strictly a matter of preference and shooter confidence.

One aspect that heavily favors choosing a shotgun over a rifle is margin of error. In using a rifle, accuracy errors are pronounced, where a misjudgment of even six inches can mean that your shot entirely fails to hit the target. Conversely, shotguns are much more forgiving, where even if your aim is off by a foot, it's possible that at least a handful of pellets will find their mark. A tighter choke will result in a tighter spread, which to my rudimentary understanding of shottie chokes, doesn't have any real tradeoff aside from reducing the likelihood of scoring a hit if your shot goes wide. General rule as I interpret it: If you're a solid marksman, confident in your aim, you want the tightest choke to keep the most pellets on your properly-aimed course. However, if you've opted for a shotgun because it's more forgiving, then a wider / looser choke (Not sure what the proper terminology is) will help ensure a wider shot dispersion, meaning that you'll likely hit fewer pellets on target even for properly aimed shots, but you won't whiff any shots when you're off target by a moderate MoA.

Aside from the obvious differences in physical size, my best consensus is that a sawn-off barrel behaves no differently than a stupidly-wide choke. Shouldn't have any more, or any less of any ballistic factor. Same velocity, same mass, same kinetic energy, the resulting pattern just starts fanning out much quicker, and more exponentially, than their full-size counterparts... Feel free to correct any misinformation contained within, though. :D

Edited by KlassenT

WHY do people think that shotguns are particularly lethal?

Remember when Raoul Moat shot that police officer in the face point blank?

Didn't die. - just blinded.

Not what I was refering to.

What I was suggesting is even at 50 meters regardless of barrel length a buckshot if it hits you will do damage.

Odds of hitting you might be bad but if it does hit it will do quite a bit of damage.

There is a video where a man is shot from 70m with shotgun... Did not seem to do damage at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=vFjNKTDNI8g#t=110

WHY do people think that shotguns are particularly lethal?

Remember when Raoul Moat shot that police officer in the face point blank?

Didn't die. - just blinded.

Reports also say he had "200 pellets lodged in his skull," which tells me it sure as hell wasn't 00 Buck. If you're using an antipersonnel load on an unarmored target, I daresay it's sure as shit lethal at point blank range.