ShyIsShy

DayZ's Absurd Public Server Hosting Polcies

So to run a server of your own you basically forfeit all control over to the developers. You cannot define your own rules or anything, you are held by the rules that you are given. In essence you are paying money or resources to have your name on a server list which will most likely not be noticed among the long line of other servers. Why don't you people see how fucking awful this set of policies are? If I host a server I want it to be my own server, I want complete control. I want to rule with an iron fist and kick/ban anybody who gets on my nerves.

I don't want to be the DayZ community I want my own damn community. Anybody hosting a DayZ public server is a fool with too much money or time.

Then wait till private hives are out 100%, this way your server does not directly affect the game play of the Regular Hive servers.

with admin access you have the right to kick players, set servertime and restart your server. there is no rule against kicking players or restarting servers!

Yes there is...

Obtained from: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/55657-start-here-a-beginners-guide-to-dayz-servers-and-administration/

IMPORTANT: There are RULES that you need to follow as a server administrator. They are as follows:
  • The server MAY NOT be passworded
  • You MAY NOT run any other mods, or keys.
  • You CANNOT kick other players for your friends and clanmates
  • You CANNOT lock the server for ANY reason at ANY time
  • You CANNOT edit the DayZ Mod mission files
  • Battleye MUST be installed and running at ALL TIMES
  • Minimum slot count of 40 (30 for countries where bandwidth is expensive i.e. developing countries)
  • You may only ban players for two reasons: Malicious talk, and racism.
  • You may only kick for disruptive behavior (such as continued VOIP over side channel).
Kicking for extremely excessive ping or desync is permitted, but if abused is grounds for blacklisting

i see. you might be right, but i think you perhaps confuse rules for the mod with rules for the standalone alpha.

Why don't you people see how fucking awful this set of policies are?

What do you mean, "You people?"

Sorry, couldn't resist. Getting on topic though, the rules are pretty draconian, there's no arguing that, but honestly it's up to individual people to decide whether or not those rules are worth the privilege of renting a server. Personally I'm perfectly content playing on other people's servers, others want the privilege of administrating their own servers. I certainly think there is room for discussion on this, but I suspect that these rules are only in place to keep problems at a minimum while they work on higher priority issues like certain game-breaking bugs that popped up in the most recent patch.

Obviously they make the server policy to keep people like the OP from abusing it. With every server connected to the hive, allowing admins to let themselves and their friends farm in peace isn't fair. Simply because you can afford a server doesn't give you an advantage over the rest of the players. 

Once private hives come out you can't set all of your silly restrictions and none of your players will be able to take their gear anywhere else. 

OP: 'I want to rule with an iron fist and kick/ban anybody who gets on my nerves.'

And there you have it ladies and gentlemen, here is the reason the *normal* dayz mod servers all turned to shit, and there were only a very few decent (whitelist) servers with admins left, because the bad ones kicked and banned all the players for getting on the admins nerves.

Hey there,

I perfectly like almost all the given rules. I believe the game/community is ment to run that way. BUT lets say you share the server fee with 2,3 or even 4 friends, shouldn't it be possible to at least reserve spots for those who pay for the server? I mean, who pays real money without gaining anything from it?

just my 2 cents

P.s.: Oh, and HELLO! to the whole DayZ community!

OP got my beans!

we paying for alpha and testing this game! and if we want to play WE HAVE TO PAY MORE, BECAUSE the server you set in, are OVERRUNNED!

and the EVILEST thing in my opinion are the PRICES of the servers! impertinent impertinent impertinent impertinent!

they made 20+mil Euro and doing nothing for us backers! i am still waiting on a PATCH because that what we got till now  are just cosmetics!

Edited by d4wn

Yeah I kinda agree that paying players should be entitled to reserved slots, afterall why should people pay for nothing. However...you know the rules and by renting a server in the games state you more or less agree to those rules.

What should be the case though is Server Companies should charge lower rates for Hive based servers and normal rates for Private Hive servers.

Albeit that its Alpha and private hives will come in the near future...i recommend not renting a server until then if you want full control.

Edited by TheWeedMan

So to run a server of your own you basically forfeit all control over to the developers. You cannot define your own rules or anything, you are held by the rules that you are given. In essence you are paying money or resources to have your name on a server list which will most likely not be noticed among the long line of other servers. Why don't you people see how fucking awful this set of policies are? If I host a server I want it to be my own server, I want complete control. I want to rule with an iron fist and kick/ban anybody who gets on my nerves.

I don't want to be the DayZ community I want my own damn community. Anybody hosting a DayZ public server is a fool with too much money or time.

I'm confused...

Doesnt the DAYZ mod already allow you to do all those things that you were just complaining you cant do in the SA?

Doesn't the DAYZ mod have more features currently then the SA?.

Why aren't you renting a server for the MOD right now?

Then don't fucking rent one. Easy as that. You want your own DayZ community? Good for you, but FUCKING WAIT! The "Alpha", not even the actual game, has been out for just over a month. Chill the fuck out. You'll have your shitty community eventually.

hes one of those wanabe admins who Ban any player that actually kills him on the server. and hes upset hell lose his listing if that happens..LOL

• Like 1

I'm confused...

Doesnt the DAYZ mod already allow you to do all those things that you were just complaining you cant do in the SA?

Doesn't the DAYZ mod have more features currently then the SA?.

Why aren't you renting a server for the MOD right now?

I guess its safe to say that he is just a poor troll and butthurt that he is not allowed to shut down his server for himself ( and maybe some buddies ) so they can farm unharmed and then jump fully geard on public servers to farm new spawns ...

• Like 1

hes one of those wanabe admins who Ban any player that actually kills him on the server. and hes upset hell lose his listing if that happens..LOL

He probably wants one of those "Spawn with gun and food/water, and all other basic survival items that we can't be bother to loot" Servers.

Edited by SpartanxApathy

Goddamnit. It's Alpha. You have no control right now. You are purely testing the game for BI right now. Don't like? Don't rent one yet. QQ

OP: 'I want to rule with an iron fist and kick/ban anybody who gets on my nerves.'

And there you have it ladies and gentlemen, here is the reason the *normal* dayz mod servers all turned to shit, and there were only a very few decent (whitelist) servers with admins left, because the bad ones kicked and banned all the players for getting on the admins nerves.

a.k.a. 

killing the admin.

Simple dude, If you dont like it, you dont have to RENT a server or play...

Although the forums are a way for you to communicate with the community your ideas, there is still a way to do it in a productive manner. Ranting and cussing about how you dont agree with the policies isnt going to get you anywhere.