kantsler

Should this be called fun?

There are 3 different types of day z play styles that involve what one does after spawn.

1)

There are those days where you were either at work, or at college, you come on, fresh spawn, and start looting the nearest buildings and taking your time with it, this is the type of person i like to call the "Honest Survivor", If you were as passive as this, you wouldn't even be thinking of military barracks or whatever, you want to be heading to a small town to hopefully find somebody to put your hand up to them and have a nice relaxed experience.

2)You spawn, you run, you gun. this is what i call the "bandit whore" where you need to feel like you have accomplished something through killing other players, literally running straight towards fire stations, server hopping for gear and listening for gunshots, or watching the hills.

3)this is the most unique, I'd call this type of play style the "whiny bitch" play style. You complain about glitching zombies, you claim players are hacking for not dying in one shot, you throw tantrums when you get sniped, you cba playing dayz because you cba taking the time and effort to meet up with friends on the vast, sandbox, map. do i need to repeat this? go and play dead island or killing floor if you want faster paced zombie mayhem. 

• Like 1

In its current state, it's easy to gear up much faster.

I lost all my gear this morning after a successful run last night. I was fully geared and ready for a lot of survival tasks. Logged out last night just fine. Logged in this morning and I'm a new spawn. Well Damn.

I went to an empty server and was geared up in an hour.

I don't have everything I want but I have enough to feel like I have a chance in a full server. Is this the way to play? In the current alpha? Why not?

The final game will not be so easy but there will also be a lot more content and challenges. You're playing a bare bones early access alpha version that is very buggy. Best thing is play, find bugs and report them. That's what this version is for. You paid $30 US for the alpha and will not have to pay a dime more for the retail release.

If it's not for you now, it maybe a year from now or two years from now. You have plenty of time to come back and check in on progress.

It's way too early to draw any conclusions based on the current state of the game.

I am ruined. I love it now. I will love every iteration. I can't play anything else anymore. I need help. But that's just me...isn't it?

Edited by Sinphaltimus
  • Like 1

...30 minutes of server hopping down time due to no loot....

We position a sniper on one of the roofs and the rest spread in the town. after 2 hours of hopping full servers...

In cherno we hop around 10 server....

I expect to have 80% fun and 20% work in any game and so far dayz provides 80% work and 20% fun and 19% of the fun is talking to my group member on teamspeak :/

In my opinion the game is about PVP and those who say different kid them self.

Yeah...no beans for you, good Sir. Server hopping because you loot and later because you want to kill someone? You missed the point it seems...

Easy one: If you don't have fun(As you said: DayZ provides 1% fun for you at the moment), don't play it or wait some months and come back to look if the changes make it more fun for you.

Excuse me, if I misinterpreted something but the core of your post is: You played 12 hours, to gear up so you can pvp and are annoyed that you didn't find people to fight and that in the end, when you found someone, he killed you and that you have to start over again.

PvP is important and all - but, here it comes, DayZ is NOT about PvP. At the current state it seems to be like that, because you gear up fast (and you can gear up WAY faster than 6 hours - even without looking at a onlinemap) and there are no real threats beside other players - but that doesn'T make DayZ  "about PvP" - I mean...PVP with 30-40 players on a 225 km² map?

Edited by LaughingJack
  • Like 1

Is it worth it? Well you tell me. You spend $20 bucks on a game that gave you 12 hours of gameplay in the first go round. And the great thing about it is, now that you died you can spend another 12 hours doing the same. So if anything you spent 2 days playing 24 hours worth of a video game for $20 bucks. Sounds legit right? 

Well my friend, I dont have a problem spending money for games because they do give me a lot of fun per hour if we count it this way. The reason im writing this post is because there is some thing that is not entirely clear to me that pulls me back to play this game but I must say that for me, Death is a way too harsh penalty in the game. I could take the loss of gear but the process of gearing up again takes too long. Also I like playing in groups and its gets really touch for me when my group is playing some where and i know it will take me around 20 minutes just to get to them naked.. Maybe when there will be vehicles in the game it will change the way we travel and loot.

Also maybe when the game develops a bit more it will have more players on once server so meeting some one will not be so rare as it is now.

Well my friend, I dont have a problem spending money for games because they do give me a lot of fun per hour if we count it this way. The reason im writing this post is because there is some thing that is not entirely clear to me that pulls me back to play this game but I must say that for me, Death is a way too harsh penalty in the game. I could take the loss of gear but the process of gearing up again takes too long. Also I like playing in groups and its gets really touch for me when my group is playing some where and i know it will take me around 20 minutes just to get to them naked.. Maybe when there will be vehicles in the game it will change the way we travel and loot.

Also maybe when the game develops a bit more it will have more players on once server so meeting some one will not be so rare as it is now.

I understand you, but i think that you, like the OP, are playing the wrong game. Just read some of the posts on this thread to see why it IS the game for some people.

Thats another Point. HALF the fun for me at the start was that i had NO damm clue where i was nor where i was going. I found so many places that left we in awe and wonder. Not that the wonder is gone now but i generaly know where to go.

Yes me and the friend who introduced me to the mod a year or so ago still refer to our 'baby steps' in dayz!

Still comes up when we're down the pub and mention DayZ - exploring from Elektro for the first time, finding tapolka damn and thinking you're miles away from anywhere, and then up the hill seeing Rog and thinking what the feck is that! Rog became our rendez vous during our first weeks exploring hehe.

My friend fell off the steps after panicking when he heard the engine of an approaching car once while we were at the castle hahaa what a burk. Old times.

Edited by Richard III in Leicester
  • Like 1

I guess my point is, this isn't Captain Shooty McShooterman's Team Deathmatch Extravaganza.

You are absolutely right. This is in NO WAY Captain Shooty McShooterman's Team Deathmatch Extravaganza, its Captain Shooty McShooterman's Team Deathmatch Extravaganza. Big, big difference.

• Like 1

Hey OP, i can relate to what you said, and trust me it was the same early on in the mod days for me. I  spend ages gearing up or meeting a friend, only to be shot dead by the fit person i saw. Its very dissapointing, and i found myself sat there thinking "what was the point".

The i found out about tents, they give a purpose to looting, and a safety net when you die. The first thing i try to do n a new mod server now is get a tent up. Then i am "established" on that sever. I even stow my rifle (even i its the only one i got) and go out to look for another feeling safe that if i die i have  spare gun with some food drink and hunting gear stashed away.

When basebuilding comes along you will have much more to do and ways to make death less painfull. Like instead of spawning in a city, you could spawn in a lowwer traffic area that was near your camp :)

this actually sounds great. I would like some sort of a base to spawn near too and make a group effort of building it and adding things to it. then later on chilling inside of it with a camp fire etc. Tents are also awesome but from what I recall in dayz mods they used to disappear every time the server restarts so you could not trust a tent back then, maybe they changed it later when I stop playing.

Death is a way too harsh penalty in the game. I could take the loss of gear but the process of gearing up again takes too Long.

NEIN !

Permadeath IS what sets dayZ appart. It should be harder, ALOT harder. ( but maybe...last night i played with a friend and 2 randoms and we all HAD TO share beans an d Rice to survive. It was a night Server and it was glorious...one of the best experiences as of yet and WAY WAY WAY !!! better than the electro fuckfest my other friends do all day ;) )  Maybe you wanna try something like WAR Z or something of the other Zombie games that are out there.

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel
  • Like 2

this actually sounds great. I would like some sort of a base to spawn near too and make a group effort of building it and adding things to it. then later on chilling inside of it with a camp fire etc. Tents are also awesome but from what I recall in dayz mods they used to disappear every time the server restarts so you could not trust a tent back then, maybe they changed it later when I stop playing.

Well as it stands i think its there untill the owner dies. Once you die if its not used for 7 days it gets cleaned up. Everything like stashes, tents, wire, sandbags is all persistant over restarts :)

PS, with tents bieng so rare in the mod now, blowing the wheels of a car at your prefered campsite can be a better option :)

OP is lost about some of the basic concepts.

Freedom. Expecting nothing and always alert  for everything.

You don't expect other players to do what you expect. Actually if they do the unexpected that's where the fun starts.

I usually plan my evening on Chern. I don't run as a drooling gear freak. I know that everything I carry right now is worth absolutely nothing if the avatar gets reset. Being geared up gives a false sense of security as you can be shot and then what ? Start the cycle again...

So as i shared and depending on time available, a session might be only a cross country hike from a hamlet to the next, carefully taking memory notes of land marks.

I tend to explore villages a lot and some patterns show up. Big green houses are village doctors or similar given they more often than not have medical supplies, low light wood frame houses with decorative corners have usually tons of food, etc.

This knowledge is not lost. It will become useful in the future re-incarnation of my avatar.

How you spent all those hours doing absolutely nothing productive apart from sprinting to gear and then setting up ambushes, and on top of that, because i see nothing wrong with it, and there's where you lose reason... you whine about your own choice.

Well done.

• Like 2

The creator of DayZ used to call it an anti-game. It was never intended to be "fun", not in the sense of you being constantly entertained and rewarded.

It was intended to fill the gap in the market for a realistic zombie survival simulator, for people who want to experience such a thing.

So right it needed stating twice. So I'll repost. They should pin that statement somewhere for all to see.

• Like 1

And I'll tell you, OP, my character story. In short:

Me, and my friends are having a good time in Day Z, as by now, 4 days alive, we experienced:

~6 hours of eating/drinking/screening good places.

~30 hours of looting/gearing/modding weaps.

~ 50 hours of walking around the Chernarus, loosing ourselves in the wild as well, cuz of bad coordination xD

~ 20 hours of PVP of different kind. I.e. we had simple firefights in towns, as well as few raids on the towns, We experienced both 'hero' and 'bandit' actions. And I was robbed myself ones!

Conclusion:

For me this game IS fun. But only IF you know how, and can, entertain yourself. In it's early aplha (Thus with only few thing to do ingame) you can enjoy the game, enjoy surviving it. It's a combination of both PVE and PVP, and some RP, that gives alot of fun mostly, when you interact with other players for random stuff to hapen (Never know what thay guy with an axe in his hand will do..), and when you looting different stuff because you need to eat, drink, and reload you gun.

As stated before, DayZ right now is mainly PvP. I like the idea of PvP. I will admit I am one of those evil terrible KoSers. I won't argue why I do it, but to me the game IS about PvP. Zombies can be buffed, loot can be nerfed, but in the end, the only threat that can out THINK you is the Dev team or a player.

DayZ is not meant to be fun. At least, not all of the time. DayZ is all about the isolation and fear of not knowing where you are and not knowing what is around the next corner. It might be some joy, or it might be your crushing defeat, the latter of which being far more likely than the former. DayZ us nothing short of brutal and surviving it for any length of time can be difficult, and if you think it's hard now, wait until the zombies are fixed! But what makes DayZ magic is the sense of joy and achievement you get when you actually beat the odds. It might be a small victory, relative to other games, but its a victory in an otherwise abysmal circumstance and that should always be celebrated. The other thing it does is get your pulse racing. Very few games do that for me, but DayZ gives adrenaline rushes in droves.

If you don't think you can handle putting a significant amount of time into a character and then losing them (and you will lose them eventually; death is the only thing that's a certainty in Chernarus), then this game isn't for you. It's not for everyone and that's fine, but if it's not for you, then don't play it because you'll get exactly zero sympathy from the community if you choose to whinge about it.

Run smart, run safe.  :beans:

Hello there

Part of the fun, for me, is NOT knoing where I am, Not knowing where the best loot is etc, when one "knows" the game, for me, most of the fun is gone.

I love the uncertainty and the unknown.

The minute one knows the mechanics enough to make a plan to get quickly geared up, thats when I stop playing. As after that its just a pure PvP game and holds little interest for me.

I agree with most of that. I remember what that was like in the mod and its been a long time since I felt that loneliness and uncertainty.

Just curious, what motivates you to play? Surely, you must know every stitch of Chernarus by now.

game is boring atm. Devs could change that with a single patch tho that would make it possible to stockpile loot for when u die ...so, dont lose hope yet lol

Edited by Highlander007

I agree with most of that. I remember what that was like in the mod and its been a long time since I felt that loneliness and uncertainty.

Just curious, what motivates you to play? Surely, you must know every stitch of Chernarus by now.

Hello there

I massively avoid external maps and databases and even spoilers.

I only play for limited times after major milestones not after every patch.

I dont use external apps like TS etc.

So, whilst I do know many coastal areas very well as well as Cherno and Elektro, I still dont know Chenarus all that well, unless ive fought in it in Arma2.

I often get Cherno and Elektro confused from time to time!

So, compared to many casual players, they'd probably think of me as a complete noob if they met me in game.

But, it keeps the game fresh and interesting for me.

Ive also not played any of the alternative Dayz mods out there. Vanilla only.

So when the Retail game finally "goes gold" I'll have bucket loads to play and compare.

Gotta avoid that instant gratification instinct most folk seem to possess.

Rgds

LoK

Edited by orlok
  • Like 3

Yep, 100% agree with the OP.

The game right now is 80% WORK looting, with 20% fun / pvp.  95% of players KOS.  We've stopped playing until something significant changes.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn!

Hello there

I massively avoid external maps and databases and even spoilers.

I only play for limited times after major milestones not after every patch.

I dont use external apps like TS etc.

So, whilst I do know many coastal areas very well as well as Cherno and Elektro, I still dont know Chenarus all that well, unless ive fought in it in Arma2.

I often get Cherno and Elektro confused from time to time!

So, compared to many casual players, they'd probably think of me as a complete noob if they met me in game.

But, it keeps the game fresh and interesting for me.

Ive also not played any of the alternative Dayz mods out there. Vanilla only.

So when the Retail game finally "goes gold" I'll have bucket loads to play and compare.

Gotta avoid that instant gratification instinct most folk seem to possess.

Rgds

LoK

Impressive restraint. I hate instant gratification, it makes gold lose its luster (I dare you to name that movie quote w/o google lol). Kinda wished I did this in the beginning.

hmm, dont know the quote, but in the book "the Lord of the Rings" there is a similar one. " All that is gold does not glitter", then again  thats a form of a well known saying.

Restraint and patience is key

L

Devs could change that with a single patch tho that would make it possible to stockpile loot for when u die ...so, dont lose hope yet lol

I am sorry but I totally disagree. If you can stockpile weapons, it becomes CoD... there would be no tension that you may die in a second and lose all your gear. there would be no need to attack other players for their gear. there would be no bandits. there would be no fun

I am sorry but I totally disagree. If you can stockpile weapons, it becomes CoD... there would be no tension that you may die in a second and lose all your gear. there would be no need to attack other players for their gear. there would be no bandits. there would be no fun

And I dont agree with you my friend because I have played games like warz (infestation) and you horde gear there and its never enough, the thirst of killing other players for their loot is even stronger

in Dayz gear almost dont matter since you cant pick up more then you can carry on your self. you can only have 1 main weapon and 1 secondary.

if you carry 2 main weapon you cant do anything with your hands or climb stairs which btw is totally unrealistic. If it was zombie apocalyps I would limb stairs with a piano on my back.

• Like 1

We play computer games for fun if im not mistaken.. 

This is actually not valid for DayZ I think. DayZ is more about emotion I think. Fun is just one kind of emotion. And I think that is what makes DayZ different from most other games. Most games really are only about having fun, though, but should all games be about fun? I don't think so. Look at other media like movies or books. Only a small part of them are about fun. It is all about entertainment.

• Like 1

Heh. If it was as simple as that to have ''world peace''. Players are avoiding each other right now mostly out of fear to lose everything after they die. I think there would be more of both killing and cooperating with strangers at the same time if devs implemented some kind of permanent storage system.

Edited by Highlander007