crazykage

Vehicles: For or against them?

Wait... Vehicles with customisation confirmed?

Time to get me into my supercharged Hilux...

Wait... Vehicles with customisation confirmed?

Time to get me into my supercharged Hilux...

imma pimp my beanmobile

why would vehicles be rare ? :o

how many do you see a day in busy towns cities ? hundreds or thousands vehicles should be everywhere near big towns and cities in game.

do they need to be in game hell yes ! why would there not be any ? did the zombies steal them for a big rallies of the undead :lol:

i think the mod didn't have enough vehicles in my honest opinion.

there should be more bicycles , nearly every person has a bicycle, mopeds again very very common should be in game. double decker buses lorries vans trucks ambulances. every type just no silly ones like a humvee with a mg on :lol:  just because there is many vehicles abandoned doesn't mean all have feul or work. maybe we could and should add a scrapyard ! ;)

also a idea i had about vehicles was to find the keys for that vehicle in local residential buildings. so car outside house go in and check for keys maybe a dead zobie bodie has the keys on them in there  :) or they just hidden in cupboards or anywhere in buildings.

supermarket could maybe have keys in till and so on.

police station could have police zombies outside with one of those who has the keys (this means you have to kill those to get keys for cop car) this adds dimension and purpose again .

so vehicles do need to be added.

We need cars to fix it!! That was a massive part of the original DayZ mod back in the day.

Having a fixed up car was very rare back then.

Since the last thread where I made this comment got its discussion derailed by a troll, Ill leave this here in the hopes of further intelligent debate:

Personally, I think vehicles should either be non existent, extremely rare, or so complex as to require a large amount of team effort (several people working together, not just 2 or three). I think they just make the game too easy. You don't have to "travel" anymore. No need to plan your route, worry about food or water for the trip (currently not a huge concern, but "alpha"),infiltrate, observe, loot, then leave, retreat to the tree line, and wipe the sweat off your brow.

Now, we can just hop in the sedan and drive real fast down the road. Stop at the first town we happen to see. All the doors closed? Good. Loot loot loot. Drop everything into the trunk. Now on to the next...Which leads to the problem that entire servers will end up looted dry in a matter of an hour or two by 2 guys and a truck.

Honestly, I would rather there not be any vehicles.

Bicycles, I think, would not be too bad. But that's where I draw the line.

Thoughts?

U conveniently forgot that cars are noisy

I want vehicles.

But they should be harder to obtain, to repair and gas for them should be rare.

Also, I think vehicles should be server bound. So it belongs to the server, not the player repairing/driving it.

I also think that roadblocks should be present, or at least they should be possible to craft.

• Like 1

I am fine with vehicles as long as they keep it realistic.  Like a damaged car needs to be fixed, you would need a pump to scavenge for fuel and maybe a battery to get it started.

Also, for this to happen, other parts should be fixable, for example the gas stations, some generators and what not. This would open up new ways of how the game is played and in a more cooperative role. This would elliminate some banditry and KOS as people try to coordinate more.

Say for example, a group decides to get a town running. Clear it and get some vehicles, get some power on and the gas station running to get some fuel... with all this invested, you would need to protect it.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Towns and building should be able to be fixed up..

This is exactly what I was thinking. Towns and building should be able to be fixed up..

Hell fucking yes!

Here's how I think the vehicles should work...

- There should be about 100 vehicles in random locations throughout the map. This would result in an average vehicle density of 0.4/km2 (assuming map size doesn't change), but obviously that density would increase a fair amount in towns and be next to zero out in the middle of nowhere, save for maybe the odd random vehicle in a barn somewhere.

- Vehicles should spawn in with a random levels of brokeness, be it that they've been crashed, have parts missing or require fuel, water or oil. Vehicles with no oil left should have a ruined engine that cannot be fixed, and these should represent a small proportion of all vehicles.

- No one vehicle on the map should ever be fully functional at spawn (which should only happen on a server restart, which would be rare once loot/zombie respawning is in)

- Parts required would either need to be found in buildings (garages, residential etc) or liberated from another vehicle.

- Liquids would need to be topped up, so fuel (which should be quite rare) would need to be syphoned out of other vehicles or petrol stations (using a pump, a hose and a container of some sort), water could be carried in the traditional way or syphoned into a larger container from somewhere, and oil could be contained in oil drums/barrels, containers or drained out of broken vehicles.

- The containers should be a realistic size. So, for example, a 20l container of something should take up almost an entire mountain backpack. This would mean people would have to work in teams if they wanted any hope of getting a vehicle running

- Vehicles could run without coolant or oil, but not for long. Running one without oil would permanently ruin the engine. Running one without water would cause it to overheat and stop after a short period. It shouldn't be possible to get it running again until it has either cooled down (30mins+) or has had coolant added

- Vehicle damage would contribute to the state of the parts and fluids in it. So, for example, shooting a radiator of a car, for example, would cause it to leak coolant and eventually overheat. Obviously, shooting other parts like tyres should cause damage that needs to be repaired. Not all damage would disable the vehicle.

It sounds fairly complicated but I don't think it would be that difficult to implement given how vehicles work in the mod (and assuming the devs aren't making significant changes to how they work for SA). However, I believe it would add a very interesting dynamic to the game and the following would happen;

- People would team up to get a vehicle running

- People would steal vehicles or parts of vehicles from other players. This would result in a lot of cautious behaviour from vehicle owners and a lot of underhand tactics from those trying to get the vehicles.

- Shooting at a running vehicle in an attempt to kill its owner(s) would likely damage it, so people would have to think carefully about how they might attack or ambush players with running vehicles. Whilst emptying an assault rifle clip at it would likely kill the occupants, it would also likely disable the vehicle so that you can't immediately take it.

- They would be a finite resource and require care to keep and maintain

What say you, Internet?

I'm not in favor of vehicles being added this early in the alpha. Later when the game is more stable and has more features, vehicles will probably become necessary

For them, there are two reasons I'd like to list:

1. This isn't the 1850s, vehicles should be everywhere and not all of them should be broken.

Although vehicles everywhere might not sound like a good idea, it is realistic. Make fuel a scarce thing and make the gas stations deplete the fuel.

Every restart, the gas stations should have a chance to start with a bit of fuel, no fuel, or much fuel.

2. The game will get boring, running is already time consuming and kidnapping won't be as fun without vehicles.

I mean come on, think of the lulz you could have when you put a burlap sack on someone's head and fly them into that small island kms from the shore, leaving them to starve.

1. Working vehicles might not be everywhere depending on if folks had time to evacuate the infected zone.

2. You might be surprised what you can find trekking through the woods. It could also be fun making your victim walk barefoot and naked in the snow.  If your into that sort of thing.  

Sort of surprised this is even a discussion. 

Of course we need features and goals to work toward and vehicles are one of those goals. They are bullet magnets so I think some are overstating how over powered they are and before the 10,000+ fully repaired vehicle servers they were not that easy to repair or come by. Anyone who thinks it should take more than an hour or two of looting and repairing is being absurd, it is a game and taking an hour to find parts and repair a vehicle is not easy mode by any definition. 

• Like 1

I would very much like vehicles, it would make the world more interesting. However, people shouldn't just be able to repair them straight off. Maybe add manuals around for all the types of vehicles and you have to actually have picked that up and made your character read it before you can fix a car with a broken engine or a helicopter's tail rotor(separate manual for learning to fly too). And not like the books where you just read it so then it gets posted on a wiki or something, you'd have to actually use it in-game and then you should be able to destroy it once you've used it so you have something to bargin with if you get taken hostage by bandits.

yes vehicles are a must, but i just hope they are not too abundant. i also hope there wont be like idk.. tanks or turrets or anything like that, would be lame.

Vehicles I would like to see in the game (but make them rare and hard to repair),

In a descending order of least rare to rarest

-Bicycles

-Cars/Trucks/Jeeps/Vans

-Buses

-BTR's/Humvee's 

-Helicopters

Vehicles I would NOT like to see in the game and reasons why, 

-Planes, because realistically it isn't considered 'easy' to fly a plane hence not everyone should be able to do it

and helicopters are easier to fly then planes? if anything, they are even harder.

Vehicles have their place in the game. what is needed are some simple ground rules for their implementation.

• all vehicles begin broken down - dead batteries and filled with gas that has expired. (gas has a shelf life of about a year unless preserved then it goes bad)
  • vehicles should have numerous parts (various engine components, suspension, exhaust, electrical, etc.... these parts must be scavenged from other vehicles of the same model (no bus engine blocks in compact cars...)
  • most car parts will be in a ruined state
  • ruined parts cannot be repaired
  • repairing parts and vehicles requires a mechanical skill that is only gained through experience and dies with the player.
  • there is no gas; it has to be crafted (ethanol/bio-diesel).
  • vehicles have to be converted to work with crafted gas (requiring parts and skills)
  • vehicles need keys to start. hot-wiring is a skill that comes from experience and dies with the player.

if done right; if made very difficult and requiring interaction with other players and their skills to complete a car, it could be some serious end-game content.

Rocket mentioned vehicles during the Ask Me Anything he did.

He stated things like Helicopters and Airplanes will probably be in the game but he believes they should be very hard to maintain. 

man are you kidding me? can't wait for vehicles.. really looking forward to seeing scramblers again!

arma2oa_2012_08_20_20_50_03_662.png

Sidenote...i think it should be possible to refuel those Little Gastanks on the bigger White ones that are behind some residential buildings.

This I can agree with as long as there's a good chance to blow yourself up while doing it. How bad do you really want to refuel your gas canister using some sketchy rig you MacGyvered... That bad huh? Ok buddy, hang on while i back up a kilometer or so...

To be honest, unless a car was perfectly fine and hadn't been damaged we probably wouldn't be able to fix it. Like when you have a problem with a car you know more then a toolbox and some old car parts to fix it. The only reason I wouldn't mind vehicles is that it'd give me something to do.

I think the main people that want the vehicles are the hackers.

Mhhh a Toolbox like the yellow case and ammo boxes ? Very good idea !

I wonder how People whould react to cars. I mean. What holds someone back to just headshot the Driver from 500 meters away or ambush the car-Party at a gasstation ? kekekekeke.

Oh and something like this should be possible :too:  volkswagen-camper-01.jpg?i

Nice pic. Vehicles (mainly cars at least) bring a whole new survival and morality to the game.

Imagine you are trying to get to point A from point B....you just need a ride. You see a vehicle driving and you shout for a ride. Either you get one, they drive past, or try and kill you.

Let's say they drive past (90% of the time) and low and behold, you see the same car gassing up or looting a building or whatever situation. What do you do?

A whole lot of options. Are you gonna continue to make your way on foot to your location or cut your time down by 80% and take advantage of the asshole(s) that denied you a seat.

Vehicles are a must because they can drastically turn you from pacifist to Bandit to murderer in a heartbeat....well, at least me anyway.

Personally can't see any real downsides to vehicles, a big yes to vehicles for me!

Edited by Problematic

i remember in early days of mod on our clan server we invited 3 other clans. What ended up happening is every few days when we would go on supply runs (1 bus + 2 atv's) we would randomly run into another clan on a run, and a massive fire fight would ensue. Basically anyone that wasn't on the run would jump in cars and come flying to the city this was happening at. It was probably the most fun i ever had in that game when you had these firefights pulling in players from all corners of the map. I am definitly pro vehicles because this sort of player driven game play is impossible without them.

• Like 1