ghua

Currency - what would it be?

Depending on what direction the game is heading, regarding permanent storage and so on, I would think a currency is most likely to become items you use often, not so much ammunition, perhaps medical supplies. - We haven't seen the full extent of the sickness system yet, it might be one of the killing factors we'd have to pay attention to, perhaps even more so then beeing worried about a bullet.

Trading is done with one hand. The other hand holds a pinless grenade.

As a small businessman in a free-fire market, insurance is essential.

• Like 1

Currencies such as cash and bank notes are only given their value due to the government backing them.

Well, that's not entirely true. Currencies have value because PEOPLE trust them. I bet you remember caps in fallout, it was interesting currency.

I asked the question because I am curious if there is any item that could be potentialy recognized as currency. By currency I mean some common conversion base. Let's say batteries - even kids know that mosin costs 10 batteries, gas mask 2 batteries and it is one battery for 2 cans of food. Simples.

If there is common conversion base, it is easier to barter - how many masks should it be for mosin and 8 cans of tuna?

Currency is loot and inventory. Trade :D

No need for a real type of money. There is no government or anything silly like that. So if you want something, trade for it.

It's like living in prison. pack of smokes for 5 sodas.

Edited by muggerfugger

Well, that's not entirely true. Currencies have value because PEOPLE trust them. I bet you remember caps in fallout, it was interesting currency.

I asked the question because I am curious if there is any item that could be potentialy recognized as currency. By currency I mean some common conversion base. Let's say batteries - even kids know that mosin costs 10 batteries, gas mask 2 batteries and it is one battery for 2 cans of food. Simples.

If there is common conversion base, it is easier to barter - how many masks should it be for mosin and 8 cans of tuna?

Well, we could always use this thread as a discussion to establish what could be, by the communities standards, the value of specific items. Let's start talking about the current meta (obviously the new patch is coming, and may effect values slightly)

For starters:

We know that beans and rice are the best foods for the amount of energy you get from them. 

We can fill up on water at pumps, so there's not a whole lot of value there. Maybe there is some value to canteens, as they would be attractive to players running long distances without needed to drink from a pump.

Ammo is an obvious item that could be used as currency. 60 round double clips are good. say, 3 - 60 round double clips would be equal to 1 bare bones M4? Not sure there since their rarity is going up. 

Usually with games like this, someone sits down and does a table showing values, and people tweak it based on what they've researched.

This post is mainly made to get people talking about what they think things are worth.

Edited by Gekkonidae
  • Like 1

This post is mainly made to get people talking about what they think things are worth.

Exactly. I just found a flaw in batteries - you can respawn, give your battery to your friend and kill yourself.

• Like 1

We could invent a point system. Say 1 bag of rice was worth 1 point. a 60 round double clip is worth 4 points, etc. What should we call the points? If this were to be made and at least loosely accepted by the community, you'd want a good name for these points.

Yes, this is a feeble attempt at creating an economy, but if enough people were on board, those of us that want to trade (without any shenanigans) could have an easy way to look up the general value of something.

Exactly. I just found a flaw in batteries - you can respawn, give your battery to your friend and kill yourself.

Yeah anything you can newly spawn with is pretty much useless. Though, in all fairness, I would trade a lower end can of food for a stack of 6 rags, for example. Batteries are worthless until there is more of a need for them. And even then, you could just die a bunch and be stocked on batteries, so their value is heavily diminished. 

in the leaked 3d models it showed cash as a future item like russian cash.

Screw that, let's create a community based black-market economy now lol

in the leaked 3d models it showed cash as a future item like russian cash.

More than likely "trash" loot like the empty cans, toilet roll etc. that used to spawn as loot in the mod. Money is worthless once society breaks down.

• Like 2

it should be sth small and stackable, ammo is not bad ;)

also - ammo gets used so it would be limited amount of it in the wild ;)

I am gonna make poll when we get enough options ;)

Edited by Ghua

I agree. Ammo isn't bad. So let's come up with their worth then. Bullets outside of a mag? or bullets in the mag? Remember, the mag itself would be worth something, so how could we calculate their worth based on their rarity?

Going the other direction, I took a look at this guys food breakdown (which is really helpful): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOODoxaOQ0c#t=325

Based on what energy/water these items give you I took a wild stab at food value using the point system I described. Keep in mind this could easily be converted to be more in line with the 'bullet currency' system if we could get a better idea of their value first:

item       point value?

Canteen       3

Water Bottle 1

Soda            1

Bag of Rice  4

Powdered Milk 1

Cereal          1

Nanner         2

Apple            2

Orange         2

Kiwi              1

Beans          2

Spaghetti      2

Tuna            2

Sardines      1

Keep in mind that this is a wild stab, so don't flame me for it. If you think i'm wrong about something, please correct me. I'm just generating ideas here. With this information available, it isn't hard to at least give a guess as to what food could somewhat be realistically valued at.

Edited by Gekkonidae

lol

Why wouldn't you just kill me and take what you want?

because, ruined? Even in 3rd world countries wrought with death they've had a currency/barter system of some sort.

Whatever is valuable.

Bullets maybe, or fuel, or whatever. People establish a currency by what they deem valuable, in certain circumstances a blood bag might be worth a gun and loads of ammo, in others it is worth nothing, it depends what your needs are

I can't see how a currency would be  something we need...

You want something you don't have, you look for it, trade it or kill for it.

Currency... Seriously, what were you thinking? I mean, beside increase your number of posts.

• Like 1

Whatever is valuable.

Bullets maybe, or fuel, or whatever. People establish a currency by what they deem valuable, in certain circumstances a blood bag might be worth a gun and loads of ammo, in others it is worth nothing, it depends what your needs are

Good point.

This has me thinking, generally, when i'm playing in support of a team, I generally strive to carry anything that would cover most situations. Here's my list of valued items for that role:

canteens

rice

couple cans of beans

saline bags (with the iv already attached and ready to go)

bandages

blood test kits

1 blood bag

epi pen

disinfect spray

ammo clips/boxes for mosins

loose pistol ammo

Hello there

Leaves.

They literally grow on trees and everyone can be an instant millionaire and pretend to be Rocket.

In game currency will be viral and self creating over time. Expect the bater system to rule for the moment.

Rgds

LoK

PS I meant BARTER. Mistake left for prosperity.

Edited by orlok
  • Like 2

In situations similar to the standalone, trade actually starts up again pretty quickly, using a combination barter system / actual currency exchange. In most situations, the "standard" barter commodities used as a form of currency often take the form of relatively small objects that can be easily carried, have obvious value, and can't be found absolutely everywhere (Law of supply and demand)

In my studies, the most common form of commodities used are:

1) alcohol, especially hard alcohols. Can be used as fuel, medical disinfectant, caloric intake, etc. Can be made relatively easily, and guarantees a safe source of potable water.

2) vehicle fuels, especially diesel. Not as many uses as alcohol, but useful regardless.

3)ammunition, especially longarm ammunition. Has an obvious value.

4) cellular phone communication, either the phones themselves, or prepaid cards with a certain number of minutes.

Commodities can also include access to resources necessary for survival, like access to electricity, locations of potable water, medical treatment, or safe shelter for a night.

If we (players) would have to come up with idea of a currency in the game - what would it be?

I think it should be batteries - every player have on at the beginning and keeps it. Would it encourage more player kills?

I would offer you bullets for your stuff.Being a professional I would of course give you the ammo first and rapid delivery would be guaranteed. Directly into your brain. Then I take your stuff.

Edited by Irenicus

Even in 3rd world countries wrought with death they've had a currency/barter system of some sort.

That's because surrounding those 3rd world countries are 1st and 2nd world countries where that currency has value.

If the entire globe was a "3rd world country wrought with death" then currency would cease to have value.