minime1000

Non-permadeath server option in the future?

So, what are you asking for exactly? You have a mosin with a long range scope and a hundred rounds, a tactical vest, hunting backpack, TTsKO clothing, canteens, compass, food, med-kit, etc. Then you get shot, and you respawn on the coast with all that gear except for the bullets and supplies you used in the fight? What happens to your body? Does it still have all that gear? Is the gear damaged from the firefight? Does this mean your friend can just shoot you in the face and duplicate all your gear? Will everyone just be fully geared all the time? Do you even spawn on the coast or is there a death timer before you wake up again?

There are so many incompatibilities with the DayZ gameplay. People are going to rage at you, but I'm just wondering if you've really considered what you mean?

Easy, you drop some gear like most mmos for an instance. You are fully geared and when you die, you drop lets say 2 or 3 items randomly. Then you spawn without those items. Maybe better items have a higher chance of dropping, etc. Same with gear damage: Everything might remain the same or after each death it goes down a step in quality. It is not that hard.

People who are against it can just ignore the servers that have non-permadeath enabled. And classical servers will still be a majority so there is no problem.

Edited by myshl0ng

But it won't be forced on you. There will just be a few servers and whoever likes it, can join it. You can still keep playing on classical servers that will surely be majority.

Not allowing it because you think it will ruin the game (when it will not affect you in any way) is kind of selfish.

I will try and ask Rocket about this on e-mail or twitter with my buddies. What he thinks about this and the reasoning.

Edit: And the amount of new players this would bring would also be good. They would first come for non-permadeath and maybe discover that classical is better and go over to that. Everybody wins, including Rocket and BI. Why cut out potential buyers who could come in and integrate with the rest.

The issue people have is that the game you want here is not DayZ.

As I said in my previous post, the tension and fear that go with the battle for survival are completely lost when you remove the penalty for death. Interacting with other players would lose the adrenaline rush and uncertainty, because even if they shoot you, you're not going to lose anything.

DayZ at its very core is a survival experience. You want to take that out of the game, and turn DayZ into something it's not. It doesn't matter if it's squirrelled away on some private hive somewhere, what you would essentially be playing there is a mod of DayZ, because you have so utterly changed the core experience of the game that you can no longer really call it by its original name - exactly the same as the DayZ mod formed from ARMA 2.

• Like 2

And that is why it should be a server option so those that do want to play it (just like those who wanted to play DayZ instead of Arma2) can do so. Even if they do not add such an option, when the full game is released there will surely be mods that do this so why not just make it easier. And it will not drastically change the DayZ formula. You still have to hunt, avoid zombies and avoid other players. Non-permadeath doesn't mean you are immortal. And again, it doesn't affect those who do not like it in any way so why not put it in.

And that is why it should be a server option so those that do want to play it (just like those who wanted to play DayZ instead of Arma2) can do so. Even if they do not add such an option, when the full game is released there will surely be mods that do this so why not just make it easier. And it will not drastically change the DayZ formula. You still have to hunt, avoid zombies and avoid other players. Non-permadeath doesn't mean you are immortal. And again, it doesn't affect those who do not like it in any way so why not put it in.

To take your argument to a somewhat illogical extreme, that's like me saying 'hey, DayZ would make a brilliant MOBA game - why not put that mode in? You wouldn't have to play it if you didn't like it - it wouldn't affect people who don't want to play it.'

In situations like this, where a proposed change would make such a drastic change to the way the game feels and the players behave, it's not a case of 'well if you don't like it don't play it', it's a case of 'this is absolutely not what our game is' - if there's enough demand for something like this, someone out there will make a mod that does it, but it's not the place of the developers to enable things that make massive changes to the way the game plays just based on the whims of a very small percentage of the playerbase.

You still have to hunt, avoid zombies and avoid other players.

Why bother? If I die, it's not going to matter even the slightest bit, because I'll just respawn with all/most of my gear.

• Like 1

To take your argument to a somewhat illogical extreme, that's like me saying 'hey, DayZ would make a brilliant MOBA game - why not put that mode in? You wouldn't have to play it if you didn't like it - it wouldn't affect people who don't want to play it.'

In situations like this, where a proposed change would make such a drastic change to the way the game feels and the players behave, it's not a case of 'well if you don't like it don't play it', it's a case of 'this is absolutely not what our game is' - if there's enough demand for something like this, someone out there will make a mod that does it, but it's not the place of the developers to enable things that make massive changes to the way the game plays just based on the whims of a very small percentage of the playerbase.

Why bother? If I die, it's not going to matter even the slightest bit, because I'll just respawn with all/most of my gear.

MOBA comparison is a straw man.

Respawning with some of your gear broken and some of it dropped is nowhere near a drastic change. DayZ mod having servers that spawn you with gear or respawning with gear proves that people want it. Outright refusing to put in a server option that doesn't affect others in absolutely any way is illogical.

And people would bother to hunt, avoid zombies and avoid other players for the very reason that it is a RP mode filled with players who are RPers. That is the very reason for the server mode. And when some KOS kid jumps on the server and ruins the RP then the penalty for it being a game and letting a non-RPer ruin an RPers game won't be that great thanks to non-permadeath.

So there already are options to turn off corsshairs, force 1rst person perspective and full game will probably have more.

Why not have non-permadeath server option for people who like to roleplay and not let it ruined by some KOS kids? I and many others (especially streamers who are the main attraction) would love to go around hunting and camping and enjoy the scenery without the fear that some hacker or KOS kid can just take it all away instantly.

People who like non-permadeath could rent their own server. It will hurt nobody as people can still play on classical permadeath ones, just like 1pp/3pp people can play on their servers.

No, go play a different game please. Seriously. 

Then the solution you're looking for is a private hive community, as someone's already pointed out to you in this thread.

Yeah, I will most likely look into private hives and run if possible on public servers. But why not give a server option which has exactly the same effect without the hassle of setting up your own hive for every server or group of servers.

Although I'm usually open to allowing players to choose how they want to play a game, there should be a basic set of rules in place for any video game that should never be forsaken, as these rules help glue the game together in terms of mechanics, immersion, balance and so on. This is especially true for multiplayer-eccentric games like DayZ.

The biggest theme that allows DayZ to stick out from most other FPS games is the constant sense of danger while playing the game. There are many factors that play into why the game's atmosphere is particularly tense, and one of the core reasons is how death is permanent and unforgiving. Remove this drawback and the game becomes significantly less threatening and tense in virtually every scenario, which ruins the main appeal of the game.

Not to mention the balance ramifications this would have on regular servers, where people all geared up from these no-perma-death servers can hop onto a regular server and have an unfair advantage over the players who chose to play legitimately. Let's also not forget how this would greatly reduce the longevity of the game, as gearing up is an essential part of the experience and never risking to lose this gear means stagnation will set in quickly.

But why not give a server option which has exactly the same effect without the hassle of setting up your own hive for every server or group of servers.

You would need your own private hive anyway. A server with an option like that would otherwise be a perfect looting-ground if connected to the public hive.

DayZ needs to be more hardcore and unforgiving not less.

Wait until there are private hives and then you can do whatever you want on your own server. There is no way that servers like you described would be allowed on the official hives.

• Like 1

Yeah, I will most likely look into private hives and run if possible on public servers. But why not give a server option which has exactly the same effect without the hassle of setting up your own hive for every server or group of servers.

Yeah, there is absolutely no way anything like this would ever ever ever be allowed as part of the main hive, for so many obvious reasons, so if it ever was made 'officially' possible (unlikely), it would definitely be limited to private hives only.

N       N     EEEEE   V         V    EEEEE    RRR             !!!!!!

NN     N     E             V       V     E            R    R             !!!!!

N  N   N     EEE          V     V     EEE        RRR                !!!

N   N  N     E                V  V       E            RR                    !

N     NN     E                 VV        E            R  R

N       N     EEEEE         V         EEEEE   R    R               !!!

So there already are options to turn off corsshairs, force 1rst person perspective and full game will probably have more.

Why not have non-permadeath server option for people who like to roleplay and not let it ruined by some KOS kids? I and many others (especially streamers who are the main attraction) would love to go around hunting and camping and enjoy the scenery without the fear that some hacker or KOS kid can just take it all away instantly.

People who like non-permadeath could rent their own server. It will hurt nobody as people can still play on classical permadeath ones, just like 1pp/3pp people can play on their servers.

Sure, lets get rids of guns while we're at it, give them swords and make it a Lord of the Rings game. DERP.

No.

Permadeath is DayZ.

If they are gonna make different hives for FPS and 3rd person view then surely they can make a separate hive for RP mode. And if they do not separate hives then how is looting in a 3rd person view server ignoring all threats thanks to corner peeking and then going to a FPS server any different from doing the same with RP servers. And you can still die in a RP server and maybe lose the very item you came there to loot. There is no reason for this to not be a gamemode as it does not affect others who do not like it.

Playing without perma death is taking away a core element of DayZ gameplay. That's like CoD kiddies playing without quick-scopes  :lol:

Yea, if it's on your own server then yes I wouldn't care. To all the other people complaining at HIS idea, y'all are being childish.

>No permadeath

>Roleplay

Right?

Start your plans for your private hive/server and stop trying to argue your point.  Ain't gonna happen champ.

No. I'm a supporter of PvE, but there still has to be something that stops people doing bone-head stuff. This is not comparable to the 1PP/3PP debate. This changes the fundamental premise of DayZ: SURVIVE!

No. I'm a supporter of PvE, but there still has to be something that stops people doing bone-head stuff. This is not comparable to the 1PP/3PP debate. This changes the fundamental premise of DayZ: SURVIVE!

no permadeath doesn't make you immortal so you still have to survive. Only KOS kids cannot ruin the RP for those that want to RP.

no permadeath doesn't make you immortal so you still have to survive. Only KOS kids cannot ruin the RP for those that want to RP.

I don't think you fully understand what permadeath means, do you? Not having permadeath won't stop people shooting on sight, it just means you will spawn with all your gear. Which for the record, is one of the stupidest fucking ideas I've ever read. One of the main features of DayZ is that if you die, you lose all your shit and have to start over. If you don't like that, go play another game or sack up and deal with it.

Non-permadeath server option in the future?

No.