Sign in to follow this  
jimmyjoerocks

How do you protect yourself against betrayal?

Found a link over on Reddit about player interactions on DayZ and a lot of it was centered around trying to figure out if a player is about to betray you or not (or if they are friendly at all). It got me wondering: What signs do you look for when you've come into contact with another player?

Pardon me for the off-topic reply but your avatar makes me sad. :(

• Like 1

What signs do you look for when you've come into contact with another player?

None, I kill them if they look that they have some loot that's worth checking out.

The easiest way to avoid betrayal is obviously: Say hello in a cheery voice right before you shoot them in the face.

However, if you're looking for signs: hesitation, jumpy movement, players trying to get behind you while talking. Anything that would make it obvious they're going to gun for you as soon as they can are bad. 

Ultimately though, I think it's very hard to tell when someone is bullshitting you. Some people (myself included) are very convincing when it comes to saying they are friendly and will stand by you. Many times you can end up dead.

I usually only kill someone in the scenario where i would want to team up with them if I think they are going to inevitably do the same thing to me, at some point. Some people are easier to read than others.

Edited by Gekkonidae

Never let your guard down and also accept that everyone dies in DayZ.

+ Do they keep distance.

+ Are they are polite.

+ Are they guarded.

+ Do they lower/shoulder weapons.

Any disregard for your safety or disrespect/irony/sarcasm is a warning sign. They come off as overly friendly, insincere or trying to convince you to do certain things, are all alarm signs. Don't get tunnel vision, people aren't more friendly, because you really really hope they are friendly. So if you want it too much, you might miss any warning signs.

Just because you meet a friendly player, doesn't mean you have to marry him. You're also in constant danger from other players, while you're feeling out your new found friend(figuratively!).

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 2

You can only be friends for so long, 

every man has a dream of ruling, there are only so many kingdoms......

It's easier to just dissapear then fight it out

You can tell a lot by watching their hands.... if they are raised high above their heads in a friendly fashion, they are probably harmless for the moment.

If they hold any kind of sharp, blunt or fire-arm-like-object, it is high time for caution.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

there's not a better way to become acquainted than the good old axe-to-face method.

i generally don't trust anyone, but i'll ignore people if they seem to be ignoring me. raising a weapon means it's on. no turning back.

Be always on the ambush position by being always hidden in the trees or in cover and concealment to be in the most advantageous position before negotiating. For me, the formula should be SECURITY FIRST BEFORE FRIENDLINESS. The key is to be intimidating at first by telling him to drop his weapons and his bag on the floor, if they do then good but If it's taking too long, give them a minimum of 5 seconds or you will open fire and seriously open fire to kill if they don't comply.

Hello there

I simply trust no one and lonewolf it unless absolutely necessary and then go solo again asap,

Rgds

LoK

I only play with my friends, and girlfriend.  They're generally in the same room with me.

If they turn on me?

I cuts' them.

I cuts' them deeeeep.

It works remarkably well as a deterrent.  

For everyone else I meet in the game?  Oh, I just kill those fools.

Trust is hard to do in this game, but when it works...And Oh God Does It Work, it is beautiful...

(One lonely teardrop runs down half my face. It stops. I have to squint my left eye really hard to get it to continue to move. That doesn't work so I tilt my head to the left. Ahhhh, there it goes.)

Easy, I don't put myself in a position to be betrayed.

So, I don't run up to them going FRIENDLYFRIENDLYOMFGWTFBBQSAUCEFRIENDLYINCHERNO. I either just avoid them or shoot them and eat their beans.

Found a link over on Reddit about player interactions on DayZ and a lot of it was centered around trying to figure out if a player is about to betray you or not (or if they are friendly at all). It got me wondering: What signs do you look for when you've come into contact with another player?

Learn the art of interrogation. There are passive and aggressive varieties. People slip up all the time, especially when their comfortable. If they say their new, but mysteriously know all the DayZ lingo, then they are probably being deceptive. Maybe they got a trap, maybe its time to counter trap. How dope is that?

This is why DayZ is so attractive. RL stuff works here.

Orlok's suggestion is good for survivals sake. But its not that fun and breeds complete distrust that runs deep and limits your skill potential.

Edited by Bennet

Play with people you actually know, simple as that.

Another possible route is if you are fresh spawn/brand new, get some stuff, join a group/squad/clan in the recruitment area with minimal stuff. So, when you initially join them, you really don't have worth anything to be betrayed upon. By the time you are geared out with that group, you've gotten to know them for awhile via TS/ventrilo/mumble/etc so they prob won't betray you since you all should be geared out.

But I recommend the latter...

Edited by barcode120x

Never let your guard down and also accept that everyone dies in DayZ.

+ Do they keep distance.

+ Are they are polite.

+ Are they guarded.

+ Do they lower/shoulder weapons.

Strangely enough, I agree; I consider it MORE suspicious when someone doesn't act guarded / on-edge. After all, they have no more reason to trust me than I have reason to trust them. Then again, I also don't make it a habit of teaming up with strangers in the hostile lands of Chernarus, so most of my interaction is limited to short exchanges for trade or aid, and once that business is concluded, I expect us to peacefully go our separate ways. If, however, someone seems to have a blatant disregard for their OWN safety while we're working out the finer points of a trade, the paranoia in me starts screaming they have a friend on overwatch that's about to ruin my day.

I rarely friend anyone unless I have a buddy I am running with. In that case, one of us always keeps a gun on the guy.

Betrayal is part of the game.  Just always be cautious and, in my opinion, don't let people hang out with you.  Sure there is strength in numbers, but I am not willing to die for someone I've never met who may be after my beans.

Play with people you actually know, simple as that.

Another possible route is if you are fresh spawn/brand new, get some stuff, join a group/squad/clan in the recruitment area with minimal stuff. So, when you initially join them, you really don't have worth anything to be betrayed upon. By the time you are geared out with that group, you've gotten to know them for awhile via TS/ventrilo/mumble/etc so they prob won't betray you since you all should be geared out.

But I recommend the latter...

I can tell you that playing with people that you actually know doesn't protect you from betrayal.

Not that it was an incident from SA, but from a MUD with permadeath - where I was betrayed by someone I had played with for 2½ years, which was also someone I talked with outside of the game.

Be always on the ambush position by being always hidden in the trees or in cover and concealment to be in the most advantageous position before negotiating. For me, the formula should be SECURITY FIRST BEFORE FRIENDLINESS. The key is to be intimidating at first by telling him to drop his weapons and his bag on the floor, if they do then good but If it's taking too long, give them a minimum of 5 seconds or you will open fire and seriously open fire to kill if they don't comply.

My only issue with this approach is that it could get you both started off on the wrong foot, thus allowing him to rationalize killing you later on.

I could handle the betrayal as long as it was thought out and planned in a "hey I'm betraying you right now." sort of way. I would prefer someone to lure me to a spot or maybe even to a mate of theirs and then pull a gun on me and try and hundcuff me with a sort of "sorry bro" and now your about to die. (or maybe give me a sporting chance!)

I'd probably rage hard, if we were just walking along the street and then "You Are Dead." appeared.

If they seem kind of figity and don't stand still, I usually have a hard time trusting them