Sign in to follow this  
Zeeb (DayZ)

<<<< Grass density needs to be improved. >>>>

We're talking about the mosin and the M4, and how grass renders in the distance.

Then you come along, talking about semi-automatics, and why not to use <<<>>>>

#1 There are no semi-automatics in the game.

#2 <<<Everyone has the right to use these how they want>>> <<<They look better than full stops anyways>>>

Yes, M4 is? Can switch to auto and semi, another word for that is select fire.

Another point I picked up from reading the Jack Reacher books (he was an ex gold medal sniper in the USA Army) is that the curvature of the Earth, and gravity play a heck of a role in distances over 1000 meters.

At distances over 1000 meters the number of shooters that are proficient at this range are very very few in the real world, and they have to practice all the time.

Would be nice to see that balance here.

Snipers are bullies at the end of the day.

I changed the title, maybe then the trolls will move on to another thread, hopefully.

grass isnt eating that much performance if they would turn it up.

we also have to say that many people play on really REALLY crappy PCs...

It is a new game, released in 2014(kinda), so they should focus on high-end 2012-2013 PC's, but I see your point.

We're talking about the mosin and the M4, and how grass renders in the distance.

Then you come along, talking about semi-automatics, and why not to use <<<>>>>

#1 There are no semi-automatics in the game.

#2 <<<Everyone has the right to use these how they want>>> <<<They look better than full stops anyways>>>

It's not hard to understand, the grass render distance is simply a technical limitation. Fixing it would either lag the game, or it would require some roundabout way that probably brings more issues than it solves. Currently the roles of both the M4 and Mosin, make it so that this technical limitation is only a small inconvenience. It's not about people not understanding, it's about it being too trivial of an issue to actually worry about for now. And yes I indeed made a little mistake of accidentally typing semi-auto instead of bolt-action. But it seems you were quick to just home into that error just for the sake of doing so.

Edited by Ghostflux
  • Like 1

Not sure but, I think they fixed that problem in Arma 3 by making players that are far away from you "sink" in the ground a little bit so you can't see them too easily, i'd have to find the source of this however.

I don't see why this could not happen in DayZ SA, this is defenitly something the developers have to consider.

i played a game called Joint Operations Typoon rising where this was done as well. The grass wasnt visible but if someone was hiding in the grass you would only see the parts of their body that were sticking out at long distances. has always bugged me when games dont use this technique ever since! haha

Fixing it would either lag the game, or it would require some roundabout way that probably brings more issues than it solves.

Let me remind you that they have their own engine, which means they have the possiblity to shape it anyway they want including performance and how objects impact it, besides they are game developers, it is their job.

And stop fu*king talking about the guns, the whole thread was about grass density in the first place, if that was not obvious enough I was so kind to change the title for people with low IQ such as yourself.

Move along troll.

Edited by Zeeb
  • Like 1

I tried to hit a steady target from about 600 meters. Not 1 of the 10 bullets i fired hit him, although the zeroing and aiming was right. It just hit somewhere to the left or right from him, for some reason. Probably because it's actually hard to hit a target at that range in real life.

Yeah this is something thats really annoying me, watched a youtube video of psisyndicate the other day and towards the end he had acog m4 and tried to shoot someone from 500 metres away standing up and the person was above him and the bullets were not hitting where he was aiming and hes like 'dude this gun is sooo unnacurate' and im just thinking, yes it would be fucking inaccurate in real life, probably about two of thirty bullets would actually hit the target so stop crying its realistic and thats a good thing when your on the other end of the bullets.

Let me remind you that they have their own engine, which means they have the possiblity to shape it anyway they want including performance and how objects impact it, besides they are game developers, it is their job.

Writing things in bold like that is quite derogatory.

If the engine and the developers were the only two things to consider, then yes you would be correct. Unfortunately, they can't just magically change a few things in their code and expect it all to work. Such things take time, money and the consumer needs to have the hardware to support such a thing.

Hello there

FYI implying through an image that a user should hang themselves is not tolerable, Zeeb.

Dont do anything like that again.

Rgds

LoK

Why does people on this forum constantly miss the points of the threads? Where does all these mentally challenged people come from? Basements?

Wow, twice in 2 minutes youve come to my attention. Not good.

If folk are misunderstanding you, perhaps a clearer explanation or some such is needed.

What is NOT needed is lazy insults. Rethink your attitude please.

L

• Like 1

Wow, twice in 2 minutes youve come to my attention. Not good.

If folk are misunderstanding you, perhaps a clearer explanation or some such is needed.

What is NOT needed is lazy insults. Rethink your attitude please.

L

FTP1.jpg

Edited by Zeeb
  • Like 1

Hello there

Zeeb is now on a short enforced holiday.

If one is berated by a moderator, please listen.

rgds

LoK

• Like 5

Couldn't the game render the distant grass in the scoped view? That is after all the real problem isn't it? At least then its not going to melt Grannies laptop or cousin Jonnys Vtec because it has to render at 1200 metres at all times which i think is an unnecessary waste of resources!

Also all this talk about snipers actually firing a bullet is probably only about 20% of a real snipers job, the other 80% is recon! So think about it its all well and good making a 1000, 900, 800, 700, or even 600 metre shot nigh on impossible with weightage, windage and Earth curvature but it doesn't help the poor guy trying to sneak stealthily about if the scoped lookout has this majorley unfair advantage and talks his three M4 wielding buddies into a three point attack on said poor guy over TS.

Just my opinion, don't have a cow!  :P

The game render mechanics for the playermodel is quite impressive tbh.

Still without grass after the render distance the playermodel is beeing so small that i dont see the problem described by OP.

Snipers can spot people after 600 meters almost only trough theyre scope since the playermodel is so little.

A full stocked M4 can hit up to 500 meters almost reliable, a normal M4 can not shoot reliable over ~150 meters wich is the render distance for grass.

Or, you know - dont fucking hide in the grass from snipers. There are so many superior ways to get better cover. Find a bush or a tree or use the terrain, by hiding behind a small elevation or in ravines. And if you get caught by a sniper while running through a huge field with zero cover, its your own freaking fault for not finding a better although slower way to approach your target.

• Like 1

I colloquially call it Cheesing it when encountering such fields and too lazy to bypass ... fists up .. and Cheese It!

Maybe Rendering can be extended (activated) when using a scope or otherwise sight on a gun.

Perhaps that would solve your problems OP? I mean, it might look weird seeing the grass all the sudden appear in your scope or periferal vision but it gives you the feature you want.

I think add some wind. Chernarus must have a giant glass dome around it. Sniping at long range will be a bit more difficult if the wind is pushing your bullets 1-2 meters off target vs 1-2 cm at closer ranges.

I know they want to avoid to render grass at such distances because of performance issues, but they have to find a solution that allows grass to render at the same distance buildings and other stuff does. It is way too easy to kill targets from far away at the moment and I hope this is something they will work on.

People are already bitching about FPS with everything the way it is, and you want to cut that in half again for... grass. There is no optimisation possible that is going to allow for a 4x volume increase to grass display. Sorry, the devs are all out of unicorn fairy dust. There are just some things that we are going to have to accept because the is a 'game' played in an computed enviroment and we don't have infinite resources to throw at it.

Or, you know - dont fucking hide in the grass from snipers. There are so many superior ways to get better cover. Find a bush or a tree or use the terrain, by hiding behind a small elevation or in ravines. And if you get caught by a sniper while running through a huge field with zero cover, its your own freaking fault for not finding a better although slower way to approach your target.

^ Tree trunks, buildings, cars, terrain all still render. Number one rule for taking sniper fire, take cover. Grass is concealment, not cover. If you're a moving target at 500+ meters, either 1, they're gonna miss (99% of the time), Or 2, they landed an incredible shot, you're dead, and credit's due regardless of whether it was luck or skill. Even if you think the shooter is within a range where grass will still render for them, you're safer at a full sprint, then laying in some grass out in the open.

Well in simple terms;

When you use the M4 its harder to kill prone targets in the fields since they hide in grass, generally speaking.

When you use Mosin its easier to kill targets from a distance since grass do not render from far away.

I know they want to avoid to render grass at such distances because of performance issues, but they have to find a solution that allows grass to render at the same distance buildings and other stuff does.

It is way too easy to kill targets from far away at the moment and I hope this is something they will work on.

Please refrain from "It is alpha" comments, since the very first message that appears when starting the game is a warning about alpha stage, but trolls will be trolling.

So well, what do you think?

They will possibly be adding a grass overlay texture to player models when viewed at a distance. This will help players blend into the ground while not needlessly drawing more grass. The problem with adding more grass at a distance is it would crush most peoples computers. Even the good ones, very quickly. This suggestion I pointed out has a very good post on redit with some examples of how it would work, I think its a great idea.

Ah can you give some proof to that statement??? because grass does eat alot of resources the way the RV engine handles them it eats to much infact lol why do you think they limit grass draw distance?? if it wasnt resource hungry wouldnt they make it draw to the same distance as other objects??

Try for your self go into your setting and drop object detail down to very low ( which makes less grass get rendered and then on very high  and tell me how much your fps is effected.

Then with those results imagine them drawing grass to the distance they draw larger objects to ...............

now one suggestion ( not sure if its been suggested here it has been alot in arma 3 forums) is to use a pip ( picture in picture) method to handle scope sights as this would allow you to draw grass in the area the scope is looking at . Even this method is actually quite high demands on cpu resources on amra 3 imy rig can handle pip at very high but many many peoples cant handle it well or at all so going this method would advantage those with good rigs and elimnate those with lesser rigs even using sniper rifles ( longer range scopes)

WHat i am getting at is its a problem its been one forr a very long time in RV engine games there is not likely a good fix that is easy or they would have done it.

Now if your a tech expert by all means step up tell us and BIS how to do it or otherwise we are complaining about something they know about but the fix may end up as bad or worse as the problem lol ...