conan the librarian

Suggestion - disable VOIP during gameplay

Besides, it is PC after all.. people will always come up with workarounds for intentional and non-intentional problems.

You like most others on this thread are being intentionally thick, just to hold onto your advantage of in game telepathy.

It's pretty simple - Dayz will not activate if any VOIP is running - no admin rights, no 'invasion of privacy' (fuck, what you must be on to equate this to invasion of privacy - what a chump) and no need for PC scans.. DayZ will simply not run if there are other certain programs running.

Simples, even if you are being intentionally thick.

Welcome to the world of computer programs, sandboxing, virtualization and also "i have a spare laptop for TeamSpeak". Where one program can run into a context where they only see what you want it to see.

Edited by Lady Kyrah

I do not like the fact that a lot of grouped bandits speak effectively silently during the game, by speaking on skype/teamspeak or any other medium that allows them to gossip out of the range of people that may be close to them. I for one am as lone wolf who does his own thing, only then to be jumped by a bunch of silent bandits who then mug me or kill me.

VOIP should be disabled during gameplay, and when walkie talkies are introduced in their fullness, that is when you can communicate long distances, but still you will need to speak in game for them to work, alerting anyone of your prescence.

Me and my bro (before he left to go to australia :() used to chat all the time just using the in game proximity chat function, as we would do in real life.

I know there is a shit ton of other things that need to be addressed, but I hope this will eventually be implemented.

Not going to happen, sorry. TeamSpeak, Ventrilo, Skype and other VOIP platforms are now an embedded part of the gaming landscape. And you suggestion is naieve if you think that will fix the problem. I run games on my desktop, but TS server and client from my laptop to avoid sound conflicts that seem to plague my system if they run on the same box.

You just have to suck it up and play the game.

The only "fix" I can see is the "epicness factor" of VOIP in the game.

Something you don't have when using team speak. Yeah, sure, third party comms have some advantages, but come on.

Picture this scenario: A guy being hunted by bandits in some abandoned town. They lost sight, are searching left and right and are yelling to each other. "Where the fuck's the rat gone, eh?! Cooooome out little rat! Eh yo over here, check that house, too!" (and stuff like that).

Sorry, but totally mute people are kinda lame in situations where you have tension between other groups or individuals. Be creative and combine stuff, have your "internal comms" but also shout to people and allies alike. Adds immersion and thus fun. Use VOIP, don't just replace it completely with something else.

The only fix would be some serious dev time spent improving the VOIP system so it's simple to use, clear, low bandwidth/lag, just make it more natural to use.

Idiots, naysayers, unimaginative silent bandits.

The majority will take you down - i will continue to make your lives miseries until this is made a reality, I can still see you, hear your footsteps. I will kill you, loot your body, and combat log. Then I will server hop and kill your friends.

I will not stop doing this until you stop the telepathy.

Untitled.png

As for bandits using this to their advantage to kill people. Let me quote my favourite villain General Zod

If you love these people so muchyou can mourn for them!!

Edited by chmielu1258

At the end of the day, a game like this can only provide with a stable enough and versatile enough platform to be able to run things on it, but after that it's up to the user and the community to make full use of it. In this case, as suggested, using in game voice means interaction with other players, what most of us want anyway, because I doubt all of you just want to shoot people down with no form of interaction. Cmon, you can play a single player FPS for that. If you spent money on this means you are looking for a form of environment and player interaction. At some point, you will want to talk to somebody in front of you. The facility is there already. It works pretty well, from what ive seen so far. It is even directional, which helps with team work more than teamspeak, as you can tell where your mate is just by his-her voice, being next to your left or behind you. Something i remember from using ACRE on Arma2.

It's up to us, the player base. The dev is already giving us all the tools we will ever need. There are already a great bunch in this pre-alpha, you just need to use your common sense and your creativity. If you're not willing to do that then why play this game? go play COD.

PS you even have the taunt hand signal, what more do you want lol

just put force voip in game. problem solved

Edited by Tumoa

I would hate for this to happen in any matter of any game !

Hate ? Any game that would that much access to my system would never be even installed. 

Also forcing constant VOIP is a bad idea, not all people play in quite environment or have their own room for that matter. 

Or even better, you are trying to sneak up on someone and you mother comes in angry because you didn't do the dishes, so much for sneaking up. 

Edited by chmielu1258
  • Like 1

I have a couple extra computers and a phone that I could use to communicate through. I don't think I'm alone in this. We must accept the third party communication systems as they're not going anywhere.

• Like 1

Hate ? Any game that would that much access to my system would never be even installed. 

Also forcing constant VOIP is a bad idea, not all people play in quite environment or have their own room for that matter. 

Or even better, you are trying to sneak up on someone and you mother comes in angry because you didn't do the dishes, so much for sneaking up. 

every mic has disable outside noices option atleast i have you have to use mic close up in order to it take your voice

At the end of the day, a game like this can only provide with a stable enough and versatile enough platform to be able to run things on it, but after that it's up to the user and the community to make full use of it. In this case, as suggested, using in game voice means interaction with other players, what most of us want anyway, because I doubt all of you just want to shoot people down with no form of interaction. Cmon, you can play a single player FPS for that. If you spent money on this means you are looking for a form of environment and player interaction. At some point, you will want to talk to somebody in front of you. The facility is there already. It works pretty well, from what ive seen so far. It is even directional, which helps with team work more than teamspeak, as you can tell where your mate is just by his-her voice, being next to your left or behind you. Something i remember from using ACRE on Arma2.

It's up to us, the player base. The dev is already giving us all the tools we will ever need. There are already a great bunch in this pre-alpha, you just need to use your common sense and your creativity. If you're not willing to do that then why play this game? go play COD.

PS you even have the taunt hand signal, what more do you want lol

I think the devs should implement things like 'ACRE style' radios in several types:

• Short range "walkietalkie' kinds of radios that use a very limited number of channels, i think it's important to make eavesdropping possible.
  • Noise based on the transmitter distance.
  • Different types of transmitters, you might be heard loud and clear by someone, but he only picks up static because your transmitter doesn't have the power.
  • Line of sight: radio waves typically are line of sight dependent, the signal strength will decrease dramatically if there is a mountain in the way.
  • CB transmitter/receivers : could emit if hooked to a battery, either in a vehicle or as a static "guetto" station, doesn't have the power of a radio tower but can use the walkie talkie frequencies on top of it's own.
  • Long range static "radio stations" that reach on huge distances over a fixed frequency, but requires a working generator to work, groups could take temporary (or permanent, who knows) control of a specific tower and every player would eventually know which frequency is which tower, they would act like non loot based hotspots and could be heard by any old radio receiver (much more common than walkie talkies).

I think it could be used to "defuse" community tensions, being able to talk with other players without being directly face to face is a good way to initiate contact, but to make it deliberate, as the distance increase, the requirements for using those equipments would increase too.

• Like 1

steam OS.

I had this thought myself, but how would it get implemented, and then i thought what if dayz could be rung in a special mode in steam OS, where only in game VOIP/radios was allowed, yes steam OS is in alfa, but so is dayz, and this might actually be possible in the future, and would make one great f****** gameing experience.

And yes you could just use a secondary laptop/phone but most people wouldn't, and then you would have to use annoying Earplugs under your headset.

every mic has disable outside noices option atleast i have you have to use mic close up in order to it take your voice

They work to some extent, still it will be unfair towards some people. 

Long story short, there is no chance at all to block external program from game level, they will loose countless players with that. It is also highly unlikely that they will made voip always on. 

All you can do is 

afc.gif

• Like 1

If a bunch of silent bandits are coordinating and not speaking then I combat log.

"B-b-but 3rd party speak isn't again the rules!!!" And neither is combat logging yet, so two can play at that game.

Also outside voip is in my opinion same type of advantage as 3rd person view, which allows you to see what you normally would not be able to see. 

You like most others on this thread are being intentionally thick, just to hold onto your advantage of in game telepathy.

It's pretty simple - Dayz will not activate if any VOIP is running - no admin rights, no 'invasion of privacy' (fuck, what you must be on to equate this to invasion of privacy - what a chump) and no need for PC scans.. DayZ will simply not run if there are other certain programs running.

Simples, even if you are being intentionally thick.

You clearly don't understand how these things work. How, without running a scan on the RAM, would the game detect which programs you have running? How would it detect which programs have VOIP capabilities? If it goes by program name, like teamspeak.exe, what's to stop people from running a portable version with a renamed .exe file?

Also, in what way would this destroy the functionality of radios? I can think of two examples off the top of my head where they would still be useful.

Example A: I am part of a fairly large (8-10 people) squad, and we commonly split into two sub-squads and move into different teamspeak channels to avoid confusion. When we do this, we have to make sure each squad is in a different place, and whenever one squad is moving towns, they inform the other squad via steam chat. If the leader of each squad had a radio, we could keep each other updated about our movements without having to stop to type (and most likely get shot), and we could have two squads operating in the same area.

Example B: We are not KOS kids. We are bandits. We hold players up, handcuff them, take anything useful that we need (but don't completely fuck them over), give the person food and water if we have some to spare, then leave. Sometimes, we find a friendly player and don't want to accidentally kill them. Rather than inviting a random into our teamspeak just so we know where they are, we could give them our radio frequency. That way, they can contact us if they need to, and if we spot a player and have to engage, we can confirm that it's not them.

So in what way are radios useless if people use teamspeak? I'm sure there are plenty of other uses that I can't think of right now. If you like to play alone, great, play however you like to play. But don't get butthurt and start insulting people just because you don't like the way they play.

</rant>

Edited by Zer0HD2
  • Like 1

So basically you're saying that DayZ should be able to access my operating system, see what applications I'm running, and actively prevent certain ones from working? There's a name for that, genius. It's called spyware. We've been over this idea many times before and the answer is a big, fat

NO.

• Like 3

just put force voip in game. problem solved

Soooo, force the game to have a open mic, with no PTT?
Damn thats a bad idea.

Would force us players to listen to more crap from others, simply because they cant turn they're mic off during gameplay.

Can't we put this to rest? It's a ridiculous idea and not viable. You can't block VOIP programs on the OS level for obvious reasons. And even if you could, people would find different ways, like using a second computer a smartphone or whatever else they can think of. Secondly, having the mic in always on mode would be the worst thing that could be done. Some people have screaming kids in the background, a mother or girlfriend who won't shut up, a friend sitting next to them talking, you name it. And the "cancel out background noise option" does not do what you think it does. It doesn't magically detect what's in the background and what isn't. It simply records from two different angles, where one is closer to your mouth, thus making our voice louder, and the background quieter and then just renders out the noise that is quieter (the background noise).

• Like 2

You should drop this subject, there is absolutely nothing that can be done to stop 3rd party communication.

• Like 1

Best there can be is radios allowing communication with other random players who have them and are within range.

Let's go even further. When it is night time and your turn your gamma up, the game detects it and shuts your monitor off as punishment.

Sorry but ingame changes are one thing, affecting how other programs on your PC work is a whole other thing and will never happen. TS/Ventrilo ghosting is just one of those things you have to deal with on PC gaming.

• Like 1