Cavalrus

Melee weapons clumsy?

So far been enjoying running around and surviving.

Biggest issues I've come across so far is that;

1. There's something off about the mouse aim, can't put my finger on it exactly but it's harder to use than it should be.

2. Melee weapons (apart from axe) suck and are hard to use. It feels like I have to be literally touching to land a strike, been using the big wrench thing, and it takes up to 10 hits to down a zombie, but a couple bites from them and your crippled needing bandages. I know you can circle strafe, I tried this today with two zombies and mid fight, I lost consciousness, presumably from fatigue as I wasn't bit and then woke up face down in the grass being dragged off somewhere by the zombie who presumably ate my face.

I just feel like one or two zombies should not be a threat to a fit human wielding a large blunt object, and due to spastic aiming and somehow wrong mouse controls they are.

Loving the game though, even if I accidentally ate a rotten banana!

• Like 3

I just don't bother with mellee weapons other than the axes. Life is easier this way.

• Like 4

I just don't bother with mellee weapons other than the axes. Life is easier this way.

This, if it isn't a fireaxe or a splitting axe you're wasting your time.

I have killed a fair few zombies by circling around them and holding the mouse button, beating them slowly to death. The thing about melee weapons is that the animation isn't synced up with the damaged. With an axe, it's a one-hit kill, so it's not very noticeable. But when you have to smash a zombie repeatedly with a blunt object, it becomes annoying to find half your hits don't land.The engine wasn't built for melee weapons, but I'm sure they'll improve.

As far as I remember Rocket said at some point that melee weapons apply damage where they actually hit something.

Also you can one-hit a zombie with a wench, you just have to hit his head. Done this a couple of times, sneaked up to zombie from behind and killed with a single hit to the head.

Although I must admit that it is not easy to hit the head. An overhead strike would make it easier.

Yeah melee is clunky at the moment but hey, it's alpha.

Besides, the fire-axe is all you need as it's a 1 hit kill even when it's badly damaged.

Run at a Zed with it raised, make your swing with it about 3 steps before contact, *crunch* (at least, 9.5 times out of 10 anyway) Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead....

Edited by =FOX= Damocles

I'll echo what others have said, unless you are using one of the two axes don't even try to melee anything.

bad workmans is blaming the tools ;)

I melee Zombies every time I respawn,

1. Aim for the head

2. They will fall either on their front or back, Back = Dead, Front=knocked down

3. If they are just knocked down, Get the free hits in.

4. Circle

It sure is clumsy, must be that darned alpha thing.

Some weapons are really horrible, like a showel.

On the other hand, baseball bat is okish, if you are just against 1 zombie. Ofcourse axes are good, maybe even too good, because 1 hit anywhere to kill with fireman axe is a bit stupid.

But I believe this will be ironed out down the road.

I'd rather run away like courage the cowardly dog than try to fight zombies with anything that's not a weapon or axe.

I will say that me and two buddys were held up by a new spawn last week at the construction site in Berenzino.  I had a Mosin, one had an M4, and the other had a magnum.

We saw the guy and said hello and he said:

"All right, drop you guns, this is a hold up."

We of course started laughing.

He then ran up and decked one player, moved to the second and actually knocked him out with a punch for like 3 minutes!  It was really a fairly good plan.  He had nothing to lose and it was actually really hard to put him down since he was staying very close to us, making shooting him or even running up and axing him difficult.  We did kill him though with close range handgun fire.

the point is, baseball bat, shovel and other big blunt weapon should do a bit more of damage.
is what i think.

• Like 1

the point is, baseball bat, shovel and other big blunt weapon should do a bit more of damage.

is what i think.

Way,way more

I find the kitchen knife to be my weapon of choice before I find an axe. You move very slowly with it, but if you hit the head it seems to have a very strong knockdown ability and actually hits where you aim.

Oh, and you have to have it raised to actually use it.

Edited by retro19
  • Like 1

They are clumsy, so I would suggest the splitting axe or fire axe, it's a 1 hit ko. It's expected to be clumsy though at this stage in development.

It sure is clumsy, must be that darned alpha thing.

Some weapons are really horrible, like a showel.

On the other hand, baseball bat is okish, if you are just against 1 zombie. Ofcourse axes are good, maybe even too good, because 1 hit anywhere to kill with fireman axe is a bit stupid.

But I believe this will be ironed out down the road.

I. Don't know about you but if you swing a fire axe at me chances are I'm going down in one hit! I think all melee weapons should kill in 1-3 hits, that's usually what it would take irl

So far been enjoying running around and surviving.

Biggest issues I've come across so far is that;

1. There's something off about the mouse aim, can't put my finger on it exactly but it's harder to use than it should be.

2. Melee weapons (apart from axe) suck and are hard to use. It feels like I have to be literally touching to land a strike, been using the big wrench thing, and it takes up to 10 hits to down a zombie, but a couple bites from them and your crippled needing bandages. I know you can circle strafe, I tried this today with two zombies and mid fight, I lost consciousness, presumably from fatigue as I wasn't bit and then woke up face down in the grass being dragged off somewhere by the zombie who presumably ate my face.

I just feel like one or two zombies should not be a threat to a fit human wielding a large blunt object, and due to spastic aiming and somehow wrong mouse controls they are.

Loving the game though, even if I accidentally ate a rotten banana!

Are you setting the range of your weapon? Use pageup and pagedown to set the distance of your target in meters. Also, bullets drop after traveling a certain distance. Mosin bullets drop to the left. Don't aim for the head all the time, just try to land any shot at all. Chances are it will kill them. Crouch when you fire. If you can prone that's even better. Also, make sure you aren't breathing too heavy. You can't whip out your gun after sprinting a mile and expect to hit your target. Make sure the attachments on your gun are in good condition. Scopes increase range. Also, make sure you are healthy. All of this affects accuracy. One slow careful shot is all it takes. Take your time, and do everything you can to improve your accuracy before you fire. Your second shot won't be easier. 

Edited by Solopopo

Why are most meele weapons so damn underpowered? In real life, a hit from an extinguisher would knock you down, and a few hits kill you. Yet here, I had to hit a guy 20 times with it to kill him!

Fire extinguisher, knife and fists are the only ones that hit in the head easily. I killed a zombie with a bayonet for fun and was surprised how easily I could hit them in the head. It takes 2 hits to the head to kill a zombie with a bayonet (first one knocks them out). Other one is the fire extinguisher, sprint at the zombies and hit just before you get to them. It will knock them out and you only need one more hit.

Other than that and the axes, they are pretty useless. Especially the crowbar. Even the fists kill a zombie quicker.

Edited by Sutinen

I. Don't know about you but if you swing a fire axe at me chances are I'm going down in one hit! I think all melee weapons should kill in 1-3 hits, that's usually what it would take irl

I was talking about zombies though and I think zombie should not go down in 1 hit, except when you hit him to the head with fireaxe.

So to me it seems that most weapons, except fireaxe, are a bit underpowered.

Yeah melee is weirdly balanced atm if i don't have an axe i just fists of fury everything punching is easy to aim with get a head shot they fall down and keep laying into their head and they'll just keep falling back down after they get up, it's weird that it's easier to fight a zombie with my bare hands than it is with a knife, hammer, wrench, whatever... or maybe i'm the reincarnate of bruce lee!