Sign in to follow this  
braiboo

Being killed by server hoppers ruining game

2013-12-24_00002_zps6ff8de9c.jpg

Thats the best fix I have found for server hoping so far. All that gear "they worked hard" for gone after one 7.62 to the dome.

yeah!! it's like digital fishing, you just sit and wait on low pop servers, much more rewarding than shooting fresh spawns on the coast. Here is where the pain is!

In my opinion the best solution is going to be when they scale the amount of loot compared to how many ppl are on the server and also loot respawn compared again to the amount of players in the server. The more players the better the loot, this gives incentive for ppl to actually join a busy server and stay there. The End.

yup close and remove this shite...

server hopping has been ruining SA since day 1 and for fucks sake there has been 100 remedies posted but nothing done by the devs...

problem 1, servers only respawn loot on restart...

problem 2, no server changing timer

how easy would it be to put a 3 minute timer on switching servers...insta fix

Hey buddy that's called ghosting, we're just talking about server hoppers right now.

I have another name for it but it would probably get me banned.

Well then they should limit an area you can spawn to so that you can’t spawn five times on five servers at a known rich loot site. Spawning a third time at the same place should mean a loss of loot that was collected on first spawn at the site if they then go on to a fourth time same site then all loot from the second spawn at that site should be lost. System in place for an hours game play.

Edited by sav112

thinking about it as it only happens in 4 or 5 areas a no spawn zone where you cant log in or out in that area will stop this and also stop combat logging making it more dangerous to enter.

My end-game usually involves camping a jail of one of the airfields just to see how long I can survive.  I've killed dozens of server hoppers this way because of the login reload sound, but there was one yesterday who either logged in without making the sound (audio glitch?) or passed through the outer wall and immediately killed my friend and then logged out.  Not a fun way to die in Dayz, but I guess worth it for the other hopper kills.

Eventually I/we kill someone from a group and they get their friends to spawn in all around and eventually kill us.

Just one time I would like a group of players to approach on foot, surround, and annihilate me and my team mates.  That is the way to go :)

• Like 2

My god this screen shot...mmmmmmmm..... that's it I'm dropping my m4 and going to find mosin with longe range scope.

Don't drop it, I still carry both, from town to town I run the Mosin, and once im looting I pick up my M4.

My friend has lost a M4 through a floor becuase of this.

yeah!! it's like digital fishing, you just sit and wait on low pop servers, much more rewarding than shooting fresh spawns on the coast. Here is where the pain is!

Yessir, they love those servers with 3-4 players, if you shut the doors on them, it makes it alot more appealing.

Edited by Radioactiv
  • Like 1

My current character today made it to the north west airfeild and after staking it out to make sure no one was around,entered a building closing all doors behind me and looted it,just about to open doors and leave building and bang bang ,you are dead.This is about the 4th goddamn time in 10 plays this has happened,i can except that everyone kills on sight and i can except everyone farms loot points by server hopping but not this.

I think all players spawning in should be teleported at least half a mile from built up or high value loot areas.

There is no evidence in what you say that makes it 100% to be a server hopper, just because you looked all over the place doesnt mean he wasnt hiding and looking at you. Unless you actually heard him logging in inside the building and then shooting you, which makes you the noob.

My end-game usually involves camping a jail of one of the airfields just to see how long I can survive.  I've killed dozens of server hoppers this way because of the login reload sound, but there was one yesterday who either logged in without making the sound (audio glitch?) or passed through the outer wall and immediately killed my friend and then logged out.  Not a fun way to die in Dayz, but I guess worth it for the other hopper kills.

Eventually I/we kill someone from a group and they get their friends to spawn in all around and eventually kill us.

Just one time I would like a group of players to approach on foot, surround, and annihilate me and my team mates.  That is the way to go :)

Camping is not viable game tactics now becouse of ghosting yeah.

Camping is not viable game tactics now becouse of ghosting yeah.

Camping is very viable, you just need a good camping location, which most people lack. Camping is probably the safest way to pvp currently in dayz.

yup close and remove this shite...

server hopping has been ruining SA since day 1 and for fucks sake there has been 100 remedies posted but nothing done by the devs...

problem 1, servers only respawn loot on restart...

problem 2, no server changing timer

how easy would it be to put a 3 minute timer on switching servers...insta fix

Personally I'd see a desync fix first, it's most likely not about how hard it is to fix something but rather the importance of fixing it and honestly, since it is an alpha release, I'm not sure that such things have the highest priorities right now. A 3 minute timer on switching servers right now would be a disaster due to desync... picked the wrong server? Oh tough luck, you can't join another one for 3 minutes... oh hey, guess what... you didn't win the server lottery this time either... should I try a third time or should I just go play something else. Last night I tried 8 different servers and I couldn't do jack shit on either of them, that's almost 30 minutes of relogging time with a 3 minute login timer.

With everything you add you have the potential to screw something else up though and the open alpha has been out what, ~one month. I'm sure they're going to add something eventually.

There is no evidence in what you say that makes it 100% to be a server hopper, just because you looked all over the place doesnt mean he wasnt hiding and looking at you. Unless you actually heard him logging in inside the building and then shooting you, which makes you the noob.

i closed the door behind me on entering the building checked every room and was preparing to open the door to leave the building before being killed.

Personally I'd see a desync fix first, it's most likely not about how hard it is to fix something but rather the importance of fixing it and honestly, since it is an alpha release, I'm not sure that such things have the highest priorities right now. A 3 minute timer on switching servers right now would be a disaster due to desync... picked the wrong server? Oh tough luck, you can't join another one for 3 minutes... oh hey, guess what... you didn't win the server lottery this time either... should I try a third time or should I just go play something else. Last night I tried 8 different servers and I couldn't do jack shit on either of them, that's almost 30 minutes of relogging time with a 3 minute login timer.

With everything you add you have the potential to screw something else up though and the open alpha has been out what, ~one month. I'm sure they're going to add something eventually.

i agree the desync is the biggest problem right now,and a server timer would not fix the problem just cause more frustration.

I've actually adopted a new play-style when I play on my own; a fun little game I call 'Pop the hopper'.

All you need to do is join a low populated server, find a jail building or barracks, wait for the reloading sound and then blast that hopper before they can even start to move.

Fun times.

i closed the door behind me on entering the building checked every room and was preparing to open the door to leave the building before being killed.

i agree the desync is the biggest problem right now,and a server timer would not fix the problem just cause more frustration.

Thats still not proof for server hopping, you dont think ive seen people close the doors to building waiting for them to come out and then shoot them? You dont think its possible for him to seen your through any of all those windows in your building? You dont think its just a coincidence that he sees a closed door building going there to loot and there you come out and he kills you? yeah, all that happens. But yes server hoppers exist, if they kill you, its you who sucked.

Can't believe ppl are actually bitching about this, not only is the sound of reloading a weapon extremely loud when you first log in there's also depending on the server a 10 to 30 second window of inactivity, the person with the real disadvantage is the logger. Ppl get to eager to loot that they forget they are playing a game where ppl are out to get them. 

That sound doesn't go very far if you didn't know. What, do you think it extended across the tarmac or something? People painstakingly check everywhere as they go along which is a lot of time for someone being careful. If they've carefully checked the other side of the runway 3 or 4 times in the last 7 minutes, they SHOULD be rewarded with their safety for a minute or two. Instead, dicks like you blink into existence in prime positions to cover huge areas with sniper rifles, put your fucking cursors over them and end their super fucking long journey up the the air fields.

"Ppl get to eager to loot that they forget they are playing a game where ppl are out to get them." Yeah, PEOPLE, not apparitions appearing out of know where at any time in places you've just checked and "KNOW" (should know) that people can't be.

• Like 1

Thats still not proof for server hopping, you dont think ive seen people close the doors to building waiting for them to come out and then shoot them? You dont think its possible for him to seen your through any of all those windows in your building? You dont think its just a coincidence that he sees a closed door building going there to loot and there you come out and he kills you? yeah, all that happens. But yes server hoppers exist, if they kill you, its you who sucked.

i have explained twice now i didnt  LEAVE THE BUILDING OR OPEN THE DOOR ! there were no windows in the corridor to shoot me through and i checked every room in the building theres no need to be an arse.

That sound doesn't go very far if you didn't know. What, do you think it extended across the tarmac or something? People painstakingly check everywhere as they go along which is a lot of time for someone being careful. If they've carefully checked the other side of the runway 3 or 4 times in the last 7 minutes, they SHOULD be rewarded with their safety for a minute or two. Instead, dicks like you blink into existence in prime positions to cover huge areas with sniper rifles, put your fucking cursors over them and end their super fucking long journey up the the air fields.

"Ppl get to eager to loot that they forget they are playing a game where ppl are out to get them." Yeah, PEOPLE, not apparitions appearing out of know where at any time in places you've just checked and "KNOW" (should know) that people can't be.

thank you this is exactly what im talking about ,were playing against zombies and survivors not predators.

Lol I think I just ran into you! Northeast airfield swore I heard a shot but not to sure - looted all the buildings. Opened the door of the last one to hail of bullets - nothing hit ran around and climbed up the traffic control tower and that's when I got hit so god knows where he was shooting from. Rested and repaired myself about 10 mins and then waited another 15 but there was no sign. Sorry I had to go after that - the kitties needed feeding and I was not about to go AFK. Very clever leaving all the loot untouched. I had to eat about 6 cans of food and 2 of my water bottles to heal.

Also fair play for not ghosting as I was pretty messed up and could hardly see anything.

Edited by Jonah_Hobbes

i have explained twice now i didnt  LEAVE THE BUILDING OR OPEN THE DOOR ! there were no windows in the corridor to shoot me through and i checked every room in the building theres no need to be an arse.

thank you this is exactly what im talking about ,were playing against zombies and survivors not predators.

ye my statement still stands, if he logged inside the building while you were in it, you hear him log in.

Add respawning loot and more different loot. Im 100% sure that this will get rid of 50-70% of the current server hoppers, if not even more. It's not fun joining a server with basicly no loot, right? Loot is a motivation to keep playing this game, to push yourself to run up to the north-west and try to find better and better gear. Right now, there is such a small variation it quickly get's booring.

Actually respawning loot will make the problem worse. Then there'd be an even less chance of inst-magi-jumping into a server that had no loot.

Anyway, the fix is already on the roadmap. We just can't use it until it's fully ready, i.e. full release.

HINT: Private Server/Private DB

As long as Rocket is enarmoured with the Public Hive idea, this is what we are going to have to put up with. This, and ghosting.

• Like 1

I thought more military loot spawns would lessen the problem, but it hasn't.

One private server during the MOD days would have the military bases move around periodically (hell they're TENTS right?) so you'd have to find them at different places once in a while. That seemed to lessen the farming.

Crash sites were aswesome because of their transient nature. I'm beginning to think ANY military loot spawn should be dynamic.

One other thing -  it would be refreshing to at least get shot in the face once in a while, or SEE your attacker. every time I've died it's been BLAM BLAM BLAM Black screen. Lack of situational awareness or server hoppers? you decide. I usually don't kill anyone, but out of anger and frustration from being constantly Backshot, I myself killed the next guy i saw that way. It didn't make me feel any better. On the contrary I felt like a jerk. Meh... live and learn.

I also think that the lack of trust is exacerbated by the lack of sidechat.

My current character today made it to the north west airfeild and after staking it out to make sure no one was around,entered a building closing all doors behind me and looted it,just about to open doors and leave building and bang bang ,you are dead.This is about the 4th goddamn time in 10 plays this has happened,i can except that everyone kills on sight and i can except everyone farms loot points by server hopping but not this.

I think all players spawning in should be teleported at least half a mile from built up or high value loot areas.

Hello friend. I don't know what server you are playing on, but I might have been the one killing you. You see me and a friend walked all the way from the south coast to the NWAF, and when we got there, the server restarts. So we found a new server. I spawned inside a building. And all the doors were locked, so when I saw someone standing in one of the rooms, I immediately thought: server hopper, and almost crapped my pants. Got a nice clip of 5.56 bullets into him first though. So I'm sorry if you thought i was a server hopper, when my last server just went down. I'm not sorry for killing you though, because not having a KoS on the military bases and airfield is just plain stupid.

On the bright side, I didn't loot you, because I feared you were not alone. I ran straight for the forest, wiped my dirty arse, and changed my underpanties.