Punkrawks

Found a server hopper in Balota [VIDEO]

Was camping Balota for server hoppers and happened to catch one while his game loaded. I cuffed him and had a dilemma. Let him go, handcuffed - unable to defend himself or feed himself.. or.. OR I could just kill him and make him start over. I was merciful and did the right thing.

• Like 17

So mad. You still have no proof he was a server hopper and you are the one being a dick in this video.

So mad. You still have no proof he was a server hopper and you are the one being a dick in this video.

True, he could have just spawned in. But who in their right mind would log out in a prison?!  You're destined to die when you log on.

It's highly unlikely it's not a server hopper.

You did a great job, kill those hoppers/combat loggers. However you should have fed him with disinfectant.

Edited by Wh1spY
  • Like 1

If someone logs in at a military spawn point there is maybe a 95% chance that they're server hopping. You'd have to be a complete idiot (or in a hurry) to legitimately log out somewhere like that.

• Like 2

If someone logs in at a military spawn point there is maybe a 95% chance that they're server hopping. You'd have to be a complete idiot (or in a hurry) to legitimately log out somewhere like that.

Says who? Airports are this game's true PvP zones, people stay there for DAYS. Last group I asked if I could hang out with them told me to go to Balota because that would be best since that's where they are for most of the time (none was playing at a time). BESIDES, what's wrong with server hopping? If it wasn't for server hopping the dumbass OP wouldn't get all the gear that guy hoarded for him.

We all know, that anyone who logs in to a high yield military loot spawn is a server hopping loot farmer, who will shoot you on sight, unless you instantly kill him.

+Beans for denying the enemy his gear!!

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 2

Says the server hopper tired of getting killed when hopping servers

I'm sorry but a guy this geared knows better. I specifically pick low population servers to camp (between 1-5 people) So the odds of someone THAT geared jumping to a low pop, night time server, INSIDE a military building.. I'd bet my beans that he's a server hopper looking for gear.

Was I a dick in killing him? Maybe. Do I feel bad about it? No.

• Like 1

I have been thinking about doing the same think many times... Now I have to do... Over watched krasnostav for a hour once... saw 4 hoppers (different i think) using the same spot every time...

We all know, that anyone who logs in to a high yield military loot spawn is a server hopping loot farmer, who will shoot you on sight, unless you instantly kill him.

This.

And if they genuinely weren't a server hopper, they've just learnt the hard away about suitable log out locations.

and what if that guy was getting chased and his internet crapped out, didn't go back to the game for a day or two. lets say he forgot where he was when he last logged in, so to play it safe he chose a small pop serve to spawn in, just so he didn't spawn in in the middle of the runway or somewhere very visible.

do you see where i am going with this??? there are to many variables, and you seemed to choose the one that suited your KOS style of game play you have towards people that you suspect of be server hoppers.

there was no way you know for 100% he was a hopper, and could have killed a guy that actualy worked for his gear.

so to quote the second post on this thread "you are the one being a dick in this video"

• Like 1

and what if that guy was getting chased and his internet crapped out, didn't go back to the game for a day or two. lets say he forgot where he was when he last logged in, so to play it safe he chose a small pop serve to spawn in, just so he didn't spawn in in the middle of the runway or somewhere very visible.

do you see where i am going with this??? there are to many variables, and you seemed to choose the one that suited your KOS style of game play you have towards people that you suspect of be server hoppers.

there was no way you know for 100% he was a hopper, and could have killed a guy that actualy worked for his gear.

so to quote the second post on this thread "you are the one being a dick in this video"

Too many variables? What am I, a cop following some code? I'll kill who I please but just be glad that I'm targeting people MOST LIKELY to be server hoppers. If I had killed some random geared guy in the woods then yeah, I could see your point. But a server with 3 people, popping into a military building? Signature server hopper. So you're right, I wasn't 100% sure, but I was 99% sure and that's good enough for me.

• Like 1

Too many variables? What am I, a cop following some code? I'll kill who I please but just be glad that I'm targeting people MOST LIKELY to be server hoppers. If I had killed some random geared guy in the woods then yeah, I could see your point. But a server with 3 people, popping into a military building? Signature server hopper. So you're right, I wasn't 100% sure, but I was 99% sure and that's good enough for me.

not to repeat myself but i already said how he could have landed on a small pop server and where he logged out, but again that was you jumping to conclusions again.

also i wouldn't have given 99% and nothing close to it, server hopping is bad but so is KOS'ing.

both are ruining this game, but using one to combat against the other is not the right way around it. 

the phrase two wrongs don't make a right mean anything to you?

not to repeat myself but i already said how he could have landed on a small pop server and where he logged out, but again that was you jumping to conclusions again.

also i wouldn't have given 99% and nothing close to it, server hopping is bad but so is KOS'ing.

both are ruining this game, but using one to combat against the other is not the right way around it. 

the phrase two wrongs don't make a right mean anything to you?

Server hopping is exploiting the game, KOS'ing is a playing style.. two completely different things. Who says it's wrong? You? KOS has always been a part of Dayz and is a legit survival tactic. I've been killed way too many times to yell "Friendly" to a fully armed player so I choose to KOS when alone. Don't like it? Tough beans.

You basically KOSed him. People should stop acting as you were some kind of a hero. You are a bandit like any other.

You basically KOSed him. People should stop acting as you were some kind of a hero. You are a bandit like any other.

And? Bandits are part of the game. If they weren't this would be "Sims with Zombies". At least I'm focusing my attention towards potential server hoppers rather than killing bambis in Kamyshovo. Yes there may be a few innocents mixed in but I won't risk my life by yelling "Friendly" only to get my nuts blown off. I kill to survive, and I have survived a long time.

I logged out while in the airstrip prison because I wanted to be on the second story and switch to a more populated server since I hadnt seen anyone in a couple hours and was getting a bit bored.

Ill forward my address that my medal and cookie can be sent to.

So I get X hours/night to play. After Y days of hard-fought survivalism I arrive at Balota with some tasty gear. Time runs out for me and I have to log out.

So, basically what you're saying is I can never log into a server with a low population - even if it is the same server I logged out of - if you are playing and I logged out somewhere you figure is a hopper-spot? Because your automatic assumption is that I'm server hopping and you, being such a fine, upstanding hero, will KOS me. Even though every assumption you made about me is completely wrong...  Cool beans. Next time you log in and someone pops you in the head you can congratulate them on being such a fine person and killing a server-hopping bastard like yourself.

Wait - what's that you say? You weren't server-hopping? You were just logging in to an area someone assumed might, possibly, maybe frequented by server-hoppers on a low-pop server... at night... heavily geared. (Excuse me while I go and laugh - a lot).

So I get X hours/night to play. After Y days of hard-fought survivalism I arrive at Balota with some tasty gear. Time runs out for me and I have to log out.

So, basically what you're saying is I can never log into a server with a low population - even if it is the same server I logged out of - if you are playing and I logged out somewhere you figure is a hopper-spot? Because your automatic assumption is that I'm server hopping and you, being such a fine, upstanding hero, will KOS me. Even though every assumption you made about me is completely wrong...  Cool beans. Next time you log in and someone pops you in the head you can congratulate them on being such a fine person and killing a server-hopping bastard like yourself.

Wait - what's that you say? You weren't server-hopping? You were just logging in to an area someone assumed might, possibly, maybe frequented by server-hoppers on a low-pop server... at night... heavily geared. (Excuse me while I go and laugh - a lot).

+11111111111 well put

I like the fact there is a whole topic discussing the morality of the forced death of 1 character. 

Anyway I feel you really can't blame KoSers at the time because the spawnrate of Zombies is so low at the moment you can run around Chern/Elek/Any Military camp shooting all of your ammo in the air and just finishing things off with an axe. And yes, I've tried. So the only real enemy at the time are other players. This will be fixed later on ofcourse but I actually like the interactions it produces at the moment aswell. 

I'm usually not an KoS kind of person and -if possible- will try to make contact but don't think I won't protect my character at all costs. 

And yeah, there is probably a 1% chance that guy wasn't server hopping, but I've also shot people at odds more doubtful.

Also, how long did you have to wait for an hopper to show up? Seems so unlikely someone spawns in the exact building of the exact Military Camp you're in, even with Balota being the most visited camp.

Edited by Problematic

So, your camping an building that is likely to be used for server hopping so you can KoS whoever pops in?

Well, have fun mate. Sound extremely boring too me, but if that's how you want to spend your gameing time, thats fine for me.

To server hoppers out there: Spawn outside of the building and be careful walking in. You never know who's camping behind the door. 

The real solution to server hopping: Log out timer. This will dramatically increase time consumption during server hopping, and it will be far less frequent. This will also totaly remove combat logging, and that means it will be possible to hold up other players again and rob them for their gear. And i also think that will further reduce server hopping. Personally i hope for a 3-5 min log out timer..

Edited by skoms

I think it's funny how many people are trying to defend server hoppers.  This story is great, the server hopper gets what they deserve, death for being a douche.  The only legitimate reason to be logging in to that building is if the server you were on restarted.  Almost all of the current playerbase would never log out there unless they were server hopping.

As for me saying this is a good story, I think that's all it is.  The guy isn't cuffed in the video, when he starts talking shit about the guy server hopping general voice chat isn't lit up.  I mean, it might have happened the way he said, but I think it's him and his buddy goofing around.  IF he showed a little bit before and the guy was actually cuffed in the video I might believe it.

Anyways, server hoppers suck.

I don't understand... he more than likely WASN'T a server hopper and logged or was kicked off under extenuating circumstances... as pointed out: why would ANYONE log off right in a prison?! Especially someone who makes a thing of server hopping? If they were any good at server hopping or put any strategic thought into it. They would go out a few tens of meters before logging off...

Im relatively new.  Are you all saying that the point is to pick 1 server and stay on only that server for life basically?  How often are new items seeded into the game?  Slim pickins on some of these high pop servers