rybo

Do you kill non VOIP Players?

Do you kill non VOIP players?  

157 members have voted

1. 1. Do you kill non VOIP players?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends
    • Cuff them strip them down to nothing and feed them rotten fruit..

Like many people have said so far; If a stranger is armed and making no effort to communicate verbally I will kill them, I don't like to kill on sight but in the time I wait for someone to type or put their hands up they could shoot me. Invest in a headset or mic, it will go a long way to establishing at least a fragile trust.

As of yet, I play on a laptop, without an integral mic. As a college student, I can't really afford to just go out and buy one.

You can buy basic mics from something like £1.50/$2.50, I have a crappy back-up mic that clips to clothing or objects and it only cost about £3.

As for your story, you could have summed it up with "I ran in to a bunch of idiots". Most people running in a group will use third-party VOIP software or even Steam voice chat, not local, and almost everyone will know you could hear them on local because no mic ! = no speakers.

Edited by Ulfhedjinn

As of yet, I play on a laptop, without an integral mic. As a college student, I can't really afford to just go out and buy one. I am working to save up money for a shiny new gaming PC that will have a mic.

However, the number of immature dickheads that try to kill me because I "don't have a mic, and they can't trust me" was rather funny, but now it is more sad/aggravating. Example:

I was leaving Electro, walking through the suburbs/ agri-fields west of the city, when I come across three new-ish players (they had shovels, axes, and backpacks). I had a .357. They asked me if I wanted to team up, and I agreed through text, so long as I took rearguard and they stayed a reasonable distance ahead. A few minutes later, one of them (through VOIP, like a dumbass, because I could hear everything he and his friends were saying) starts talking about how he didn't trust me because I didn't have a mic, even though I had been personable through text for the last 5 minutes, even sharing out food and medicine when asked. They agreed to jump me in a few minutes, a plan that was ended by a .357 round through the back of each of their heads. When they raged at me in VOIP, calling me a traitor and a teamkilling sonofabitch, I told them that I couldn't really trust them.When they asked me why, I replied that I could hear them over their mics, especially concerning all the nasty things they wanted to do to me. They shut up.

So, just because I don't have a mic, doesn't mean I am any more "untrustworthy" than any other survival-focused player in Day Z. I like to believe I am  MORE trustworthy, as I often have the jump on people (due to their mics) and choose to let them go rather than cause a scene.

You said it yourself. A mic makes a world of difference in determining if a player is a clown or not. Even better when they cross com....

Also you can find desk mic's for under $5. Being in college you can also get a free one from the tech lab if you ask for one in the storage closet. Or one of the other crap tons of ways to obtain a mic. I hate when people say "I can't afford a mic" when they could afford a PC and the game...

Nothing wrong with obtaining peace meal either. Such as first buying the PC. While later buying the game then a bit longer for the mic. I was young once too.

Edited by RyBo

I do this for fear of not knowing what they'll do. If they were friendly, that really sucks, but if you don't talk then expect to respawn. Communication is a tool that can save your life. Use it or have no option.

Basically this. You can't trust a guy who is just staring at your gear, w/o talking

If they don't use voip I will just execute them on the spot. Can't wait to long on 1 spot just because some guy has to type everything out.

twice so far in my dayz standalone adventures ive been killed for not using my mic, even after i type "FRIENDLY, DONT SHOOT"

i find that 95% of the people that KOS or kill players for not having VOIP are children that get a kick out of it. since then ive started using a mic and i kill every kid i hear over my headset

Luls, why use a mic then? Sell out? Also wouldn't the route you have chosen prove to be even more childish?

Hope I don't run past you singing..

Jokes aside I could see allot of people going this route.

Edited by RyBo

I choose all of them because it really all depends on my mood and my character.

This game is to amazing to stick to one way of playing.

I role play this game in lots of different ways, so yeah...all of the above.

No, why would I kill them? If they don't talk, don't make any aggressive moves, then I couldn't care less, go about your business.

If they make any movement that can be interpreted as hostile then either I will shoot them, or my friends will. But that goes to people that use their mic as well, I don't see a difference between them

What do I care if some guy looting in a house can use his microphone or not -.-

I treat both mic users and mutes the exact same way. Stay away, speak or type your peace with your weapon shouldered or lowered, else die.

To keep this going in light of a recent post on how many people kill none VOIP players I'd like to bump once for more poll results.

Set me on fire if needed...

If you don't have a mic, you are dead.  No ifs, ands, or buts.

And what if the person is mute in real like me and don't have a choice but use text?

And what if the person is mute in real like me and don't have a choice but use text?

If I wasn't planning on playing with you to begin with, I would kill you if I came across you.  

Depends on the situation.

If the silent player keeps their distances or moves away when I tell them to back off, I'll leave them alone.

Move towards me, equip a weapon or point an already help weapon at me; the silent player is getting axed/shot.

• Like 1

I've been without a mic for a week or so and the obvious problems that come with it. So from the flip side, playing without VOIP I will generally avoid contact but if I get caught out and with no easy exit I kill without stopping to type a rambling conversation.

Edited by ricp

I give a person 4 seconds to type or talk. You never know, their silence could just be their way of keeping you standing there so his/her buddy can line up a shot. Otherwise, I see no reason to kill non voip'ers. I would imagine many players not having headsets, just speakers. I look at it this way, if they can't talk, they better start typing. You can't shoot me while you are typing, and that actually makes me feel more secure while in a confrontation.

I give a person 4 seconds to type or talk. You never know, their silence could just be their way of keeping you standing there so his/her buddy can line up a shot. Otherwise, I see no reason to kill non voip'ers. I would imagine many players not having headsets, just speakers. I look at it this way, if they can't talk, they better start typing. You can't shoot me while you are typing, and that actually makes me feel more secure while in a confrontation.

If you stand still that is your problem not the other way around really. And if you have been killed just standing there waiting for someone to reply, i don't feel sorry for you. I actually feel sorry for all the people who get killed and and new to the game and have not figured out all the key bindings and such, and what it all means, and get killed because of it.

i try not to kill, but its hard to judge intentions when people dont use mic..

i once killed a french guy with a mic, since french is supposed to be this sexy language and he was shouting at me sounding nasty.. could be the fact that i was chasing him with an axe, but i told the man to stop.

To paraphrase from South Park;

VOIP or die, mothafucka, mothafucka VOIP or die! You better have a mic or I'mma cap you in yo' eye!