Sign in to follow this  
crazyandlazy

The Mosin can't hit properly at a steep elevation?

What are you on about? :P Your original post was about your shots falling short of the target when shooting from an elevated position. Where did this "shooting into the scenery" come from?

Regardless, my initial post still stands, even without glitching scenery etc, a zeroing of 100m will not hit a target 100m downhill, the bullets will fall short. You need to increase your zeroing to account for that.

Now you're back-peddling. The problem was not his zeroing. 

The OP is correct, and you are wrong.. and yet you're being confrontational and acting like a "know it all".

50 bucks says you've never even fired a gun IRL.

I have experienced a similar issue where I was laying prone on a hill over-looking a town, and my M4 fired shots directly into the hill 1 inch infront of the barrel of the gun. In other words, the gun was "looking" into an object that was not visibly there. Originally I thought this was possibly due to my zeroing, but I adjusted it up and down, and the same result occurred.

Get your facts straight before correcting someone, or you just look "VERY SILLY".

You don't need to shoot a gun in real life to work out the zeroing mate :P And I can't find anything unfriendly in my intial post, he called me clueless if you had bothered to check.

Now, for simplicity, let's ignore the air resistance on the bullet. The velocities are not accurate, it is just for an example.

On the flat :

Muzzle velocity = 100 m/s

"Line of sight distance" to target = 100 m

Elevation = 0 m

Now let's calculate the angle, above the ground level, that the gun must be inclined at to reach that target, it comes out at about 2.8 degrees.

On an elevated position:

Muzzle velocity = 100 m/s

"Line of sight distance" to target = 100 m

Elevation = 50 m

The same calculation gives about 6.4 degrees. That corresponds to a higher zeroing.

So you do need to adjust for the elevation, the op said that he didn't, so it's one possible reason the shots were missing.

Edited by Kalvarin

Sigh.. You just keep going. Dude, it had NOTHING TO DO WITH HIS ZEROING.. It's a known bug. Go look at the Bug Tracker. He called you clueless because you're acting clueless. You obviously did not read the entire thread before posting.

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:59 PM

Dchil, on 09 Jan 2014 - 5:57 PM, said:snapback.png

The angled distance down the hill may be much larger than the distance you see on the map, try upping your zero a 100m or more next time this happens.

I tried both 50 and 100. It did not work. The fight lasted 5 minutes. If it had not been for the trees I would've died way sooner cause of the bug.

Edited by Etherimp

Sigh.. You just keep going. Dude, it had NOTHING TO DO WITH HIS ZEROING.. It's a known bug. Go look at the Bug Tracker. He called you clueless because you're acting clueless. You obviously did not read the entire thread before posting.

Are you just trolling me now? It didn't work at 50 m, so he upped it to 100 m and it still missed. If he had said he had upped it all the way to 400 m and saw no difference, I would of been satisfied.

It is possible there is a bug, but you must account for the elevation when zeroing, and I can't just know off the top of my head if increasing it by 50 m would do it.

Edited by Kalvarin

Are you just trolling me now? It didn't work at 50 m, so he upped it to 100 m and it still missed. If he had said he had upped it all the way to 400 m and saw no difference, I would of been satisfied.

It is possible there is a bug, but you must account for the elevation when zeroing, and I can't just know off the top of my head if increasing it by 50 m would do it.

lol ahahahahaha xD. Do you realize how silly you are being right now?

If you look at the picture I posted in the first post you would see that the distance is nowhere near 200 let alone 400. lol. I think you don't even own SA. 

Edited by CrazyandLazy

lol ahahahahaha xD. Do you realize how silly you are being right now?

If you look at the picture I posted in the first post you would see that the distance is nowhere near 200 let alone 400. lol. I think you don't even own SA. 

Can't say silly is what I am feeling... perhaps confused as to why everyone keeps posting absolute nonsense :P

Ermm... when firing from an elevated position the zeroing should NOT be equal to the distance to target... it should be higher. I just explained that... are you even reading what I posted?

A weapon zeroed for 100m on the flat will hit a target at 100m range on the flat. A weapon zeroed for 100m will NOT hit a target at 100m range at the bottom of a hill. The zeroing must be higher to account for the elevation, even if that means setting it to 200m for a 100m shot.

What part don't you understand?

Can't say silly is what I am feeling... perhaps confused as to why everyone keeps posting absolute nonsense :P

Ermm... when firing from an elevated position the zeroing should NOT be equal to the distance to target... it should be higher. I just explained that... are you even reading what I posted?

A weapon zeroed for 100m on the flat will hit a target at 100m range on the flat. A weapon zeroed for 100m will NOT hit a target at 100m range at the bottom of a hill. The zeroing must be higher to account for the elevation, even if that means setting it to 200m for a 100m shot.

What part don't you understand?

Oh my sides xD.

Dude tell me how much I should zero for this picture. There is a dead guy lying on the ground. I am at a little bit higher ground but the steep wall bug hasn't kicked in. What should be the correct zeroing. I think you will know the correct zero distance for this right?

2LHml8y.jpg

Well, now you've pointed out the body fair enough :D

Didn't see it when I first looked, assumed you was taking shots at positions near the railroad. Shooting at targets at quite a large range and elevation difference would require increasing the zeroing, but here he is almost on top of you so it wouldn't matter :)

I assumed the body was a tree root, my bad : P

Several times I've been lying down on a hill looking down and shooting and the bullets have hit invisible stuff right in front of me instead. Crouching instead solved that.

As for zeroing, if someone is 100m away from you in the horizontal plan but far below you (down hill) then they are further away so you would think you need to increase your zeroing. Unfortunately, zeroing assumes you are firing horizontally and is calibrated as such. If someone was, as the crow flies, 100m down hill from you and you had your zeroing set to 100 your bullet would go right over their head (assuming you aim at the head). What you need to do when firing down hill is reduce the zeroing.

I've been graphing this out on excel, and given the numbers I used (had to use quite low bullet speed or the angles being changed were so small)), to hit someone 500m away horizontally would require my gun to be elevated 18.5 degrees. To shoot someone on a hill inclined at 30 degrees 500m away (down hill) from me my gun would have to be elevated by 14 degrees. Both elevations are measured relative to a straight line between me and my target. Since elevation angle is proportional to zeroing (higher elevation angle = higher zeroing) and down hill targets required lower elevation than straight targets we can see that you must reduce your zeroing when firing down hill.

Taken to the extreme, if you are firing directly down then what would happen if you use zeroing? Your bullet would never hit the target.

When I am playing a dirty, sky scraper camping sniper on BF4 (...) if I use my range finder to shoot at someone 200m below in the head the bullets will always fly high, I have to reduce me zeroing to compensate.

The reverse is more forgiving, your zeroing should be quite reasonably when firing up hill. To hit a target 500m away up a 30 degree hill I needed an elevation of 19.5 degrees. At 45 degrees it was pretty much similar.

Shooting down hill, reduce your zeroing.

Edited by Nanoha
  • Like 2

Several times I've been lying down on a hill looking down and shooting and the bullets have hit invisible stuff right in front of me instead. Crouching instead solved that.

As for zeroing, if someone is 100m away from you in the horizontal plan but far below you (down hill) then they are further away so you would think you need to increase your zeroing. Unfortunately, zeroing assumes you are firing horizontally and is calibrated as such. If someone was, as the crow flies, 100m down hill from you and you had your zeroing set to 100 your bullet would go right over their head (assuming you aim at the head). What you need to do when firing down hill is reduce the zeroing.

I've been graphing this out on excel, and given the numbers I used (had to use quite low bullet speed or the angles being changed were so small)), to hit someone 500m away horizontally would require my gun to be elevated 18.5 degrees. To shoot someone on a hill inclined at 30 degrees 500m away (down hill) from me my gun would have to be elevated by 14 degrees. Both elevations are measured relative to a straight line between me and my target. Since elevation angle is proportional to zeroing (higher elevation angle = higher zeroing) and down hill targets required lower elevation than straight targets we can see that you must reduce your zeroing when firing down hill.

Taken to the extreme, if you are firing directly down then what would happen if you use zeroing? Your bullet would never hit the target.

When I am playing a dirty, sky scraper camping sniper on BF4 (...) if I use my range finder to shoot at someone 200m below in the head the bullets will always fly high, I have to reduce me zeroing to compensate.

The reverse is more forgiving, your zeroing should be quite reasonably when firing up hill. To hit a target 500m away up a 30 degree hill I needed an elevation of 19.5 degrees. At 45 degrees it was pretty much similar.

Shooting down hill, reduce your zeroing.

Would you mind if you give me the excel? Just me? If not then I'd understand also :]

Thanks!!!

I can confirm this bug.

Scenario: From a slight decline NW of elektro I fired on a group of 4 camping elektro from the NE hill near the power plant. They were elevated and i was prone, bipod deployed, distance of 650ish meters. I zeroed at 700. After the first kill his mates looted his body. I crawled forward MAYBE 6 inches to flatten grass obscuring my scope, fired, and hit SOMETHING slighlty below the gun barrel.

With nothing else to go on, I'm blaming it on grass clipping. And this will be fixed so enjoy sniping from a crouch if you can't stand this bug.

Edited by UbuntuFoo

this is the worst bug in the game for me, everytime when you shoot downhill at an enemy the bullet hits an invisible wall 2 inches from your face, with all weapons.....uphill is fine.

Edited by King_Soggy

Don't know if anyone else experienced this, but I find it a hell of alot easier to fight short-range (in elevation) without any scope.

Not just because you see more around the gun, but also because I find it helps to avoid the bug for some reason... Would

be nice if anyone could confirm that for me, if not, don't sweat it. Even if it's superstition I'll probably remove the scopes in the

same scenarios.

Additonally, I've shot multiple shots where it seems as if the bullet has hit the grass a few feet away, not ground, but taller grass..

No idea if some grass is bulletproof, or something to do with the bug you are talking about. Feels kinda wonky.

Hopefully this issue is beeing handled, which I'm pretty sure it is. So soon we can hit stuff where we aim and zero in. Untill then;

happy city-fighting.

Edited by problembarn

in real life, shooting up or down a hill, u allways have to aim lower than usual. how much lower depends of the ammuniton u use. 

im not shure if this is implemented in this game .

This will be fixed once the new physics system comes into play.

You sure? Was this confirmed?

The current bug has nothing to do with physics. The reason bullets hit terrain when looking up / down hills is because the hills in this game aren't modeled as an actual slope, but are actually stairs; basically blocks like a hill you would make out of legos.

The way they are visually represented isn't how you interact with them, but the invisible "edges" still catch rounds. It's obnoxious

I'm going with that redchain on the screen. That means you're lagging like crazy.

In my opinion the red chain simply means someone entered your "Networkbubble" and you are getting synced.

So if someone joins the server or walks into your networkbubble you get synced.

I have made absolutely no attempt to verify the accuracy of any weapon in this game, from the scoped rifle to the baseball bat. They all seem to be "somewhat out" to some degree so I'm not keen to get all worked up about it. At the moment I'm going with the "if I hit, I hit, if I don't, well.. then... meh". I'm sure that as the game progresses the accuracy and physics will improve and I'm sure it's really important to some players desperately trying to snipe from 1k away, but for the rest of us playing the game I'm guessing there are bigger fish to fry.