elf cakes

Why aren't PvE servers allowed?

There are no such things as PvE servers mate. They don't exist. You can put that in the title of your server if you want but it's meaningless. It's against the rules and no real PvE servers will ever exist.

And nobody is restricting how anyone plays. You can play HOWEVER YOU WANT on a regular server. PvE, PvP or (as most people do) a mix.

Get it?

*Puts on shades*

Edited by Flight96

Why aren't this type of server allowed? I'm not a massive fan of them, but why are the devs against it? surely people can play however they want? don't you think it's unfair that just because it's not the popular opinion that they aren't allowed? people can have their server removed WITHOUT REFUND? that's ridiculous. if there's no legitimate reason then why not?

inb4 they shouldnt be allowed because being a carebear is wrong, jesus just let them be. if they're on their own then surely they're not harming anyone else.

What are you talking about, not allowed? Looking at the server browser right this minute I see all kinds of custom rules on different servers:

Private game pls keep out

24/7 Day, No KOS, Sweet Lootz

ALL WEAPONS ARE DISABLED

no PVP

no KOS

PVE

PVE Play nice or be gone

no KOS you will be banned!

Wraith.Wing Lootfarm -- Resets every 20 min

Seems you can find any type of server you want just by looking.

i'm only trying to make the point that i don't think it's fair that people are having money taken off them for trying to make a safe zone for people who want to play like that.

They are not having money taken off them, they are forfeiting a refund due to not meeting their end of a bargain.

Basically, they say "yes, I'll play by the rules I've agreed to", then they break their promise.

They are dishonest and do not deserve your pity.

Edited by Max Planck
  • Like 2

There are no such things as PvE servers mate. They don't exist. You can put that in the title of your server if you want but it's meaningless. It's against the rules and no real PvE servers will ever exist.

And nobody is restricting how anyone plays. You can play HOWEVER YOU WANT on a regular server. PvE, PvP or (as most people do) a mix.

Get it?

Genuine PvE servers that have not been removed kick and ban people who kill. I have seen it before.

Genuine PvE servers that have not been removed kick and ban people who kill. I have seen it before.

That's against the rules and they will lose their hosting privileges if they actually try to enforce "PvE only."

Also, there are no real time kill messages so admins have no way to kick you for killing.

Trust me, I join "no KoS" servers all the time and gun folks down left and right. I haven't been kicked yet.

(just gonna make a blanket comment over everyone who's against my arguement because it seems like my opinion is the minority and to reply to all the people against it would take longer than time itself) i'm only trying to make the point that i don't think it's fair that people are having money taken off them for trying to make a safe zone for people who want to play like that. 

what's wrong with that? if your arguement is that it's breaching the terms of the server contract, then ask why is it in the contract? if people don't want to join a non-pvp server then it's not like they have to. 

to all the people saying it hinders the game - that is completely irrelevant because the people on these servers clearly want to play it like that and have just as much fun as everyone else. 

but even then, you people won't back down because this has become a flame war. i'll probably leave this topic now because no one is ever going to win this arguement, and i can't be arsed repeating my original statement which very few people have seemed to properly read.

this shouldnt be an argument at all.

the game follows a certain vision, a vision to which many in the community subscribe. the core game as envisioned is designed to explicitely allow malicious acts and player versus player actions. as this game is under development, servers are available as managed hosting solutions, under a certain ruleset, to which hosters have to agree. the developer can ensure, that the testing servers all follow the same rulesets and thus test data is meaningful. if a hoster is in breach of the license agreement under which he is provided with the dedicated server files and updates, he is in breach of contract, and thus has forfeit his right to host. its that simple.

there is obviously a demand for PvE servers, and they will come, they will be realized as private hives, as to not throw the balance of the public game out of the window and allow for exploitive actions. but until the game is finalized and private hives implemented, the testing needs to be conducted on the servers following universal, public, equally binding rules. if you cannothandle the requirements of testing a game before its finalized according to the rules set by the games creator, you should wait until the variant of the game you wish for is realized.

• Like 4

there is obviously a demand for PvE servers, and they will come, they will be realized as private hives

There is no guarantee of this at all. As of the current server hosting rules, private hives are not allowed.

It's early alpha now, so they're not doing anything to enforce the rules, but there is no guarantee private hives will be a thing at release.

I personally hope they will not be permitted.

That's against the rules and they will lose their hosting privileges if they actually try to enforce "PvE only."

Also, there are no real time kill messages so admins have no way to kick you for killing.

Trust me, I join "no KoS" servers all the time and gun folks down left and right. I haven't been kicked yet.

Well WHILE they ARE NOT REMOVED they are genuine pve servers.

Well you aren't playing on a genuine server, admins have kicked and banned people for this stuff.

Edited by Space Milk

There is no guarantee of this at all. As of the current server hosting rules, private hives are not allowed.

It's early alpha now, so they're not doing anything to enforce the rules, but there is no guarantee private hives will be a thing at release.

I personally hope they will not be permitted.

DayZ originates in the modding community. I cannot possibly imagine how Dean and BI would explicitely forbid modding of DayZ, and even if they did, there is always a way. there are private WoW servers, so modified DayZ servers disconnected from the official hive will come one way or the other.

Imagine if all the people who wanted PvE could go to PvE only servers. That means a much higher concentration of PvP-minded players on the regular servers. And all of a sudden the DayZ experience is skewed for the people who want to play the game as it was intended... those who want to be able to come across other players and *not know* if they're going to be friendly or not.

• Like 4

Imagine if all the people who wanted PvE could go to PvE only servers. That means a much higher concentration of PvP-minded players on the regular servers. And all of a sudden the DayZ experience is skewed for the people who want to play the game as it was intended... those who want to be able to come across other players and *not know* if they're going to be friendly or not.

2 options you present:

A: Make PvP AND PvE people happy, disrupt normal people experience.

B: make normal people happy, disrupt PvP and PvE server experience

PvP make up a HUGE chunk of the player base, just so you know.

Seem the problem is thus: People jump on these pve servers because they want to group up and play together, or experience some solitude and explore, without mindlessly getting shot. I fail to see what's wrong with that, and why there's such an opposition to it.

There's plenty of regions in the world, that in case of a zombie apocalypse, you would not see another person. You would not need to, as you would just be surviving in the woods.

Take Alaska for example. My hometown has maybe 700 people. Figure they get hit, 3/4 of that populations dead or zombies. Now while the main two mile strip through town has about 500 people there, the rest live as far as 40 miles out of town. I lived twenty out, then 3 miles off the highway. Unacessable in the winter when not plowed, and the roads practically a tundra swamp in the summer. Chances of another person is slim.

Rules out people, now were down to needing to hunt for the winter, scavenging water, berries, fishing. Chances of a zombie from town traversing the tundra to your location is slim. They would get stuck in the foot falls. So then you'd set up a location, using spruce branches woven together, making somewhat of a bed, keeping your body heat from being absorbed into the ground.

All sounds like a bunch of pve oriented stuff right? Deep survival, what this game claims to be: survival.

So then why are players with this in mind, forced to suffer the machinations of mouth breathing kos'ers?

I don't see dayz advertising itself as the next call of duty.

• Like 3

Seem the problem is thus: People jump on these pve servers because they want to group up and play together, or experience some solitude and explore, without mindlessly getting shot. I fail to see what's wrong with that, and why there's such an opposition to it.

There's plenty of regions in the world, that in case of a zombie apocalypse, you would not see another person. You would not need to, as you would just be surviving in the woods.

Take Alaska for example. My hometown has maybe 700 people. Figure they get hit, 3/4 of that populations dead or zombies. Now while the main two mile strip through town has about 500 people there, the rest live as far as 40 miles out of town. I lived twenty out, then 3 miles off the highway. Unacessable in the winter when not plowed, and the roads practically a tundra swamp in the summer. Chances of another person is slim.

Rules out people, now were down to needing to hunt for the winter, scavenging water, berries, fishing. Chances of a zombie from town traversing the tundra to your location is slim. They would get stuck in the foot falls. So then you'd set up a location, using spruce branches woven together, making somewhat of a bed, keeping your body heat from being absorbed into the ground.

All sounds like a bunch of pve oriented stuff right? Deep survival, what this game claims to be: survival.

So then why are players with this in mind, forced to suffer the machinations of mouth breathing kos'ers?

I don't see dayz advertising itself as the next call of duty.

The problem with it, is that its on the same hive as the normal dayz, so people can loot farm(well when gear spawning happens), and  gear totally un hindered, then move to a regular server, with said gear ... thats what they are used for, and skews gear loot availabity etc. Its all happened before. You want a generic skoot n loot, there are tons o them out there, go buy skyrim, or one o the fallouts, and enjoy, the player interaction is what dayz is about, there is nothing stopping you getting a group o like minded people together, and enforcing your view on any server, but it has to be done in game, not with admin powers.

there is obviously a demand for PvE servers, and they will come, they will be realized as private hives, as to not throw the balance of the public game out of the window and allow for exploitive actions. but until the game is finalized and private hives implemented, the testing needs to be conducted on the servers following universal, public, equally binding rules. if you cannothandle the requirements of testing a game before its finalized according to the rules set by the games creator, you should wait until the variant of the game you wish for is realized.

The issue mainly is that 99% of the player base go around shouting that PvE is explicitly and ABSOLUTELY never ever going to happen.

We all know private hives are coming and we all know private hives will allow true PvE servers without the downfall of moronic server hoppers using them as loot stations.

There will be Normal Servers, PvP Servers, PvE Servers (and all manner of other custom setups)

In all likelihood a server with a non standard set of rules will be forced to have a private hive to keep the normal servers true to their vision.

So to everyone against PvE.  Why do you have a problem with this?  (Im not talking about now, im talking about once its possible)

To the people who say go play a different game :  Tell me a single game out there with the realism of survival that DayZ has, with an open world the size of DayZ, with the zombie count of DayZ and the simulated vehicles and weapons in DayZ?  With First Person view?

I know of none.  State of Decay is an arcade game in 3rd person only, 7 Days to Die is unrealistic and like minecraft, The Dead Linger is unrealistic with shoddily put together worlds and terrible gunplay.

Edited by TemplarGFX
  • Like 1

There's plenty of regions in the world, that in case of a zombie apocalypse, you would not see another person. You would not need to, as you would just be surviving in the woods. ...

Chances of another person is slim.

Rules out people, now were down to needing to hunt for the winter, scavenging water, berries, fishing. Chances of a zombie from town traversing the tundra to your location is slim. ...

The only time I ever see other players or zombies in game is when I go into town for supplies.  If you want solitude, Chernarus has it.  If you don't wan t to be "mindlessly shot" in your little group, figure out how to have a couple of sentries to guard against attack.   If you're generally a solo player, figure out how to sneak around and move in and out of town quietly and unseen.   If you cannot or will not adapt then you'll die.

Edited by Six_Ten
  • Like 1

2 options you present:

A: Make PvP AND PvE people happy, disrupt normal people experience.

B: make normal people happy, disrupt PvP and PvE server experience

PvP make up a HUGE chunk of the player base, just so you know.

But PvE was never a big part in DayZ,why are those people here anyway? The zombies were always just annoying at most once you had any kind of weapon.

Also,where do you get " HUGE chunk"? Did you make a guess? Did you make a poll? Are you Santa Claus and know everyone?

And DayZ was,is and will ever be mostly about PvP.No changing done here.Sure,the zombies will be harder and more numerous,but i doupt they will ever be the main threat.

I have a better idea!

ONE! Stop breaking the rules you agreed to by kicking/banning people for killing others. If you break an agreement you get whatever punishment BI decides is right.

TWO! Come play with the rest of us, you can be friendly in a world full or murderers and no one will begrudge you for it.

THREE! If you wanna be friendly, don't be an idiot. Screaming "I'M FRIENDLYI'M FRIENDLYI'M FRIENDLYI'M FRIENDLYI'M FRIENDLY" over direct every time you walk into Cherno is not actually a good idea. Be smart, stay hidden, and if you find someone gain the upper hand before opening dialogue (IE Pointing a gun at their head so if they try and spin round real fast when you tell them not to you can shoot them)

So, rather than quarantining yourself from the general populace come bring a point of light to the darkness of Chernarus in this zombie infested age, you friendly bastards you.

• Like 1

So to everyone against PvE.  Why do you have a problem with this?  (Im not talking about now, im talking about once its possible)

In short, I don't. Private hives and whitelisted servers will make it work. But right now? No.

Edited by funky_mish

I have a better idea!

ONE! Stop breaking the rules you agreed to by kicking/banning people for killing others. If you break an agreement you get whatever punishment BI decides is right.

TWO! Come play with the rest of us, you can be friendly in a world full or murderers and no one will begrudge you for it.

THREE! If you wanna be friendly, don't be an idiot. Screaming "I'M FRIENDLYI'M FRIENDLYI'M FRIENDLYI'M FRIENDLYI'M FRIENDLY" over direct every time you walk into Cherno is not actually a good idea. Be smart, stay hidden, and if you find someone gain the upper hand before opening dialogue (IE Pointing a gun at their head so if they try and spin round real fast when you tell them not to you can shoot them)

So, rather than quarantining yourself from the general populace come bring a point of light to the darkness of Chernarus in this zombie infested age, you friendly bastards you.

I usually just walk past people saying"hello" in a friendly tone,often works :D

No one has a problem with PvE servers per se. The opposition is against PvE servers connected to the main hive, thus creating effective safe heavens for gear farming.

OP does not talk about an unspecified future, but about current instances of servers being revoked for breach of contract, for creating unofficial PvE rules and kicking players for not following them.

• Like 1

Why aren't this type of server allowed? I'm not a massive fan of them, but why are the devs against it? surely people can play however they want? don't you think it's unfair that just because it's not the popular opinion that they aren't allowed? people can have their server removed WITHOUT REFUND? that's ridiculous. if there's no legitimate reason then why not?

inb4 they shouldnt be allowed because being a carebear is wrong, jesus just let them be. if they're on their own then surely they're not harming anyone else.

Not at the moment they can't. Later we will be allowed to have a truly private server and we will have the ability to do whatever we like, but this is provisional on the fact that they won't be connected to the public hive. As of now, there are strict rules that need to be followed, even if you are the one paying for the server.

If you want to run and/or play on a PvE only server, you're going to have to suck it up and wait.

As an aside, the game development as seen in the current DayZ enviroment isn't up to offering any sort of robust PvE type experience ATM. The Zs are not enough of a threat and there is nothing else in the enviroment that is likely to add to that. When and if the Zs become a major threat, then maybe PvE will be viable. You could use the current implementation in some sort of player-driven RPG setup, but even that would be a little weak ATM.

Edited by DJPorterNZ

One thing I don't understand, and this may be venomous: why the hell do people have any say on a server they didn't pay for? Now if these were Bi's hosted servers, I could see it. These servers are paid for with earned money. Ever here of my house my rules? Far as I see it, if I log onto to someone's server, I'm a guest in his house. You do as asked, or you leave.

• Like 1

No one has a problem with PvE servers per se. The opposition is against PvE servers connected to the main hive, thus creating effective safe heavens for gear farming.

OP does not talk about an unspecified future, but about current instances of servers being revoked for breach of contract, for creating unofficial PvE rules and kicking players for not following them.

I agree 100%

A pve server should not be a looting tool. It should however, have eighty times the amount of zombies to deal with.

I have a better idea!

On a regular server? Maybe, but many PvPers leave PvP servers to hunt at regular servers. Doesn't matter what you do, people will shoot you for fun because they are fully geared up and have tons of ammo.

In short, I don't. Private hives and whitelisted servers will make it work. But right now? No.

Right now, I play PvE by finding the lowest population server I can with my new bambi and PvE on that server as there is no one around to screw up the fun.

I either wait till I die, or kill myself before returning to a "normal" style gameplay.

Not a single of of these HONEST PvE players want anything more to let you do whatever you want on your normal servers while they do whatever they want on their PvE servers. they WANT to be completely separate and independent of your normal servers.

People are complaining now (I assume) because firstly, the steam page does not make it in any way clear that this is a game focused on shooting people like in Call of Duty.  The description makes it sound mostly like a PvE game.  And secondly the current server population is playing like its Call of Duty.

• Like 2