Gravelsack

Goal: Escape from Chernarus

Summary: Players must repair a vehicle and drive it off the map to "win".

You must cross the map with a full fuel tank and at least 90% repaired.

You must cross the map on a road

A vehicle may rescue as many survivors at a time as there are seats. If you and 4 of your buddies fix a car and drive it off the map, all four of you "win".

Only motorized vehicles are allowed. No bicycles.

A reward is given for successfully escaping Chernarus. This reward rolls over to the next survivor.

Pros:

-Promotes teamwork by giving players a common goal to work towards

-Gives you something to do with vehicles besides drive them around for teh lulz

-Encourages exploration

Cons:

-Possibly exploitable by large groups

-You tell me

How about, if you find a radio (walkie talkie), you will hear or get a message (maybe every hour or something) that rescue is on the way to the island (helicopter, boat, cargo trucks). They will give you the 6 digit map coordinates and a time (use the watch). Maybe use U.N. npc's as the rescuers.

That would be pretty cool too. The radio airlift would be a good option for lone wolf types.

How about this: Radios all transmit the same coordinates and time, but the rescue chopper only has room for one survivor. This would create small pvp hotspots in semi random locations (I'm thinking mountaintops, castles, etc.) as players converged there for rescue.

It will not be survival sandbox anymore.it would be like left4dead.. so i say no

couldnt be avery hour would have to be a 24 hour thing so you have to survive longer plus it would kill any loot you find for the next life. more stats would be needed and so on

When you escape' date=' then what? More zombies or we discover paradise?

[/quote']

I was thinking about that. There would be many options. Of course you could just start over with a new character that has some bonus for having rescued the previous one, but that's a little uninspired.

What if when you escape Chernarus you then spawn on a new map? It's been said that the mod is easily portable onto new maps. The maps could ranked in a tier system, so that once you get to the higher maps, you are playing with veterans of the game.

Perhaps you could use the vehicles to travel from one map to the others. You could only get to certain maps by using vehicles with adequate range. For example: You find a four door sedan, and you can drive to the next closest map. You find a helicopter, and you can reach distant island maps. This would open up the world considerably.

Think about it: Chernarus is just the beginning of the journey!

Survival is the goal. That's what I love about DayZ. There is no end game like my wow buddy asked. This game lets the goal be stay alive and further your own ambitions.

A possible objective that I would like to see is a rescue. A reason to stay alive. I don't find that reason now. I don't know if Rocket and The Devs is planning any kind of backstory or something. But lets say, 1-2-3 times a week any day any time. A rescue helicopter or a boat down the coast arrives at random spots. If you spot the vehicle (or hear it's call on the com-radio, if it's going to be implemented) run to it, it will just stay for 5 min or so. If you make it, end, or if you'd like to stay to evacuate with your friend, then stay and wait for him. You hit a high score table or something, THE list of survivors.

Maybe instead of "winning", whatever event with prereqs could trigger other events on the map to occur and given enough time, reoccur. Events like triggering the release of multiple large roving zombie packs which must all be cleared. Or perhaps a battleship will pull up off coast and NPC SEAL teams could establish a beachhead with military hospital, advanced loot drops etc.

After having just run back from the Northwestern spawn bug location, it's clear that the map of Chernarus is HUGE!!!, albiet only the southeastern quadrant is "built up" with forests, roads and structures.

Venturing out into the deep wastelands would be a death sentance, unless you knew exactly where you were going and had the means to get there (i.e.) a vehicle.

Maybe a carrier could appear FAR FAR offshore, just within max helicopter range (one way)...

As a possible endgame, what would you say to having to make it to the wasteland base, obtain some form of retrovirus/cure, and then head back to chern to innoculate zombies, converting them back into normal... Imagine the karma!!!

Yeah whatever... no ending require, just endless perpetual survival trying to dodge thieves and search for beans.... Like purgatory....

a boat down the coast arrives at random spots.

I like the idea of a rescue boat in addition to a chopper

You hit a high score table or something' date=' THE list of survivors.

[/quote']

I like this idea as an incentive.

whatever event with prereqs could trigger other events like triggering the release of multiple large roving zombie packs which must all be cleared. Or perhaps a battleship will pull up off coast and NPC SEAL teams could establish a beachhead with military hospital' date=' advanced loot drops etc.

[/quote']

I like the idea of triggered world events. What about if rescuing survivors would build up the infrastructure on the server.

For example: Rescue 100 survivors on the server, the trains begin running on the server. Rescue 1000 survivors, the electricity comes on. It would give people a reason to work together...especially the electricity,

Chard' pid='179327' dateline='1340487765']

Yeah whatever... no ending require' date=' just endless perpetual survival trying to dodge thieves and search for beans.... Like purgatory....

[/quote']

That made me lol.

The downside with a chopper or a rescue boat would be the snipers that camp near, just to shoot the players that moving toward the vehicle. BUT, it will be heavy armed NPC in the boat/chopper that will shoot at the sniper if that will happen. Kind of bad mechanic but would prevent some pointless kills (game-ruining). OR let's say two guys running toward the chopper and one of them are a douche and shoots the other guy, then the NPC would start shooting at the idiot.

I don't know what kind of event that would occur after some survivors escape. But it would be nice if something happen. Maybe the rescue chopper drops some med-supplies/food and water or something. Like the survivors that have escaped tells them that there is lots of people there that needs help.

Umm hellooooo' date=' all the world is infected.

[/quote']

Says who?

I think building up infrastructure, although a cool idea, just wouldn't really work. You'd have server X that already has electricity, trains, free NVGs and helicopter for every pleb upon spawn, whatever, and then server Y would have 3 survivors rescued and nobody playing it because, why bother?

I do like the idea of random world events though. There was that bug/hack type thing where NPCs would roll up in Hummers with GLs and blast zombies and bandits... the idea of the roaming zombie horde has been raised several times, and I think it's great. I think AI should be pretty much limited to zombies though.

The downside would be the snipers that camp near' date=' just to shoot the players that moving toward the vehicle.

[/quote']

There will always be snipers, no matter what you do. If you can't deal with them you'll never live long enough to get rescued anyway.

I think building up infrastructure' date=' although a cool idea, just wouldn't really work. You'd have server X that already has electricity, trains, free NVGs and helicopter for every pleb upon spawn, whatever, and then server Y would have 3 survivors rescued and nobody playing it because, why bother?

[/quote']

Yes, but the servers with the infrastructure would fill up quickly, and stay full. Also, working on the infrastructure of a server might give people more of a feeling of being connected to that particular server, so they might server hop less.

An idea:

Radios receive broadcast of an emergency supply drop/rescue operation. But the is located off the map grid. Could be in the wasteland or boats off shore. The broadcast would broadcast the grid location that the rescuers would be located at and the duration that they will be there for. (GPS would be a required item. Not sure if the GPS will show negative coordinates or off the map coordinates, but it should if not) The reason why they would be off the map would be because of all the helicopter crashes (that's the storyline reason). The gameplay reason would prevent people from just happening upon the site of the supplies. It would require a player to have a radio to receive the broadcasted coordinates, a GPS to know where they are, a compass to know where to go, and whatever supplies/vehicle necessary to get there.

The site would have advanced supplies or you could choose to be "rescued" which would simply respawn you with your current equipment but increase your blood to a higher than maximum value.

The supplies would be limited. You could only take one crate worth for each player. The idea being that the suppliers are keeping some for other players who may come. The gameplay reason would be to force you to choose what you want. The idea that comes to mind is the choice between weapons or med supplies, but right now the environment just isn't brutal enough for this to be a distinctive choice. Whatever supplies are given should be items that don't spawn or don't spawn very often. Antibiotics, for example. But that would only matter if there was higher infection.

Anyone have anything to change or add to this?

i like this idea, but it should be on the map so that A if someone is lucky enough to stumble upon this thing they deserve to get geared up for cheap, and B im just picturing the idea of it being in cherno's town square and people getting slaughtered on their way to investigate the sound of a helicopter and loud speakers/flood lights

What if when you escape Chernarus you then spawn on a new map? It's been said that the mod is easily portable onto new maps. The maps could ranked in a tier system' date=' so that once you get to the higher maps, you are playing with veterans of the game.

[/quote']

This is a BRILLIANT idea! But a lot of work i imagine.

A possible objective that I would like to see is a rescue. A reason to stay alive. I don't find that reason now. Lets say' date=' 1-2-3 times a week any day any time. A rescue helicopter or a boat down the coast arrives at random spots. If you spot the vehicle (or hear it's call on the com-radio, if it's going to be implemented) run to it, it will just stay for 5 min or so. If you make it, end, or if you'd like to stay to evacuate with your friend, then stay and wait for him. You hit a high score table or something, THE list of survivors.

[/quote']

Meanwhile this^ is a great idea too, but a lot easier to implement. I think making it in to the relatively small list of survivors should be enough motivation for people.

Also irregular medical supply drops and what not (antibiotics, worm clothes, all the survival stuff) delivered via helicopter with a previous radio warning would spice up things as well.

I don't like the idea of escaping the map via a driven vehicle, that is too easy for an endgame project. But I like the thinking and the overall suggestion. I prefer the modified idea of having a UN vehicle, like a Chinook or something, fly in once per server restart after a minimum of 18 hours running time or something - if you have the planned radio item, or are near a radio object in a house or something, then you hear the announcement of the town it is going to and have a chance of getting there with your buddies to escape Chernarus, the reward should be very slightly improved starting equipment, but I think a skin-change (i.e. total of 5-10 different survivor skins to provide replay reward value) would be better. This would not give experienced players an unfair advantage, but would be a cool way of showing off your skills and survivor 'lvl'. Of course, to stay in line with the harshness of the mod, when you die, you lose all ranks. So the top tier skins would be very highly respected, and truly feared!

I prefer the modified idea of having a UN vehicle' date=' like a Chinook or something, fly in once per server restart after a minimum of 18 hours running time or something - if you have the radio, or are near a radio in a house, then you hear the announcement of the town it is going to and have a chance of getting there

the reward should be a skin-change (i.e. total of 5-10 different survivor skins to provide replay reward value) would be better. This would not give experienced players an unfair advantage, but would be a cool way of showing off your skills and survivor 'lvl'. Of course, to stay in line with the harshness of the mod, when you die, you lose all ranks. So the top tier skins would be very highly respected, and truly feared!

[/quote']

I like these concepts quite a bit. I definitely like the skin change idea to show off your skills. It would be a good way to know what sort of a player you're dealing with.

Personally, I prefer the idea of rescued survivors leading to increased infrastructure on servers, but that idea is more than a little bit ambitious. Skin changes would be much easier to implement.