Sign in to follow this  
Lady Kyrah

How about no private servers?

AND NO PRIVATE HIVE.

It seems that the main reason people want private servers is that they refuse to lose control on their game environment, they want to be able to punish players that do not play how they think the game should be played, or they want to turn the game into something it isn't.

Others want to be able to play "only with their friends" with password protected servers. To me, this goes against what DayZ stands for, you don't get to make the rules, nor do you get to pick who you play with. Just like real life, if you are stuck with people you don't like, you have to deal with it.

If you let people start their own "community" they will try as hard as they can to make their server different from what DayZ is, just for the hope of being remembered, we already had a great example with the mod, with a million of pointless modifications that only cheapen the game.

We don't need an easy mode, we don't need "options that let admins adjust the game experience they want", or "training servers" this isn't Garry's mod, TF2 or SecondLife, this is about taking in the full experience, it's also about losing and learning from your mistakes.

Dean & co, find settings that you like and lock the game as such, no matter what they are we will be glad to take on the challenge you've set.

Edited by Lady Kyrah
  • Like 27

I don't care if they have private servers.   But I also want their characters to remain on their private servers.  If you come to public, you start over.  Plain and simple.

People can lock their private servers so only they can log on and loot, without worrying about players.  Then bring that geared player into the real world with us?  No thanks.

• Like 5

Main reason private servers are wanted is to squash hackers, server hopping, combat logging, and ghosting.

You can't do those with the stupid public hive structure that is in place on public servers.

White listing and more control over the server does an excellent job of stopping the bs in dayz.

• Like 5

There's no private servers (today) because there's no need for them.. the game is so "young" atm that a private server (with not so good performances, and no contents, and bugs) wouldn't make sense at all. There will be private servers in the future? Certainly yes! .. and this is not a decision of the developer, but the community: if they will not release a official version, there will be someone to leak the files, that would be even worse.

For the moment, personally, i'm ok with no dedicate private servers... but in some months i will certainly have one since i like to customize it (as at the moment i have my servers sitting there waiting, since i dismissed the dayz mod ones...).

PS: when i say private servers.. i mean PRIVATE HIVE (nor private servers on official HIVE).

Edited by WalkerDown

Main reason private servers are wanted is to squash hackers, server hopping, combat logging, and ghosting.

You can't do those with the stupid public hive structure that is in place on public servers.

White listing and more control over the server does an excellent job of stopping the bs in dayz.

this +1

So far I don't see a big deal about private servers if they have their separate hives. I'll enjoy this because you won't have people that server hop or ghost to name an example. Depending on what rules are allowed you may also probably see more custom servers with certain rulesets, but these are labeled afaik.

You can actually find a place that fits your playstyle and play there. I see nothing bad in it, as it's optional. Just give servers clear labels and be off with it.

And it's not like every private server will turn into a playground for a few buddies that kick everyone who joins. It can happen as it happens already (so far they risk losing their servers for that BS though, if they can't read or understand TOS) and I saw some weird stuff in the mod too. But that's reputation then, too. One can just pick another server.

They want a private hive to fix temporary issues?

No, no white listing either, you don't get to pick who you are playing with. You're not supposed to have control over your gaming experience.

• Like 2

Once again if private servers are on dayz one day what will it hurt you? Like you said as long as there person stays on there server it's fine....When the game is done I think people should be able to play ever how they want.

Problem is.

Private server.

Pub hive.

Clan buddies arm up in safety, log out in a convenient place, log onto populated server, shitwreck random people, die, repeat the above.

This. Is a problem.

They want a private hive to fix temporary issues?

No, no white listing either, you don't get to pick who you are playing with. You're not supposed to have control over your gaming experience.

That's the thing those are not temporary issues. Outside of having each public server save the player location I really do not see how they could get rid of those problems.

The problem is the public hive itself.

• Like 1

Once again if private servers are on dayz one day what will it hurt you? Like you said as long as there person stays on there server it's fine....When the game is done I think people should be able to play ever how they want.

I have thousands of servers in my TF2 blacklist and it's still not enough, i still land on modified servers 9 times out of 10 when all i want is to play the game as it was made.

• Like 2

But this isn't TF2, even though it was apparently just a comparison. I get the point, but I wouldn't shit bricks about it. I cannot imagine 9 out of 10 DayZ servers being "totally custom" if that stuff was allowed.

Weird stuff will certainly happen, but I can live with that by avoiding those (apparently abusive) servers simply because having a server with a private hive and no other modifications is suitable for me. Heck, force any "private server" to use a personal hive, no problem for me either. That should also prevent certain abuse. Gearing up in safety on a personal server to fuck shit up on a public one, if both were to use the public hive.

Anyone who wants to play "normally" can simply look at the labels or put them into the filter. Entering "public" into the filter should be more than enough in most cases.

Edited by Combine
  • Like 1

But that's a problem they need to fix with 14m dolars. I bealive they will, and we all can forget about stupid private hives. Anyway its waaay to early for them to even talk about private hives when game is not even 50% complete. Sorry for grammar

But that's a problem they need to fix with 14m dolars. I bealive they will, and we all can forget about stupid private hives. Anyway its waaay to early for them to even talk about private hives when game is not even 50% complete. Sorry for grammar

New:

Server: Initial implementation for Sub-Private Hives (ongoing)

Server: Initial implementation for regular & hardcore Public Hive

Fixed:

Server: Dedicated Server crash related to player skeleton

Server: Player location rubberbanding (ongoing)

Server: Large delay in item manipulation and "inventory tetris"

New Change log

• Like 1

Wait, They already said that with the hives running off a "shard" of the databse then the server files wont be accessable so they carnt mod it. I HATE modded servers.....but i love private hives......theres a big difference.  Your topic seems more aimed at abusers of admin rights or mod servers. 

The concept of the private hive is brilliant, solves all the issues metioned by gibonez. And has a lot of other advantages.

Community - You get to know players better, who are the bandit groups....who can be trusted, and who to just avoid lol. Everyone gets bored a bit in dayz endgame and knowing all that info you can really have some fun. Pranks on friendly groups, trading, shared camps.

Consiquences - So you attempt an ambush at a camp in the forrest. The opposition gets the upper hand, no logging out now because if you do they will know exactly where you are and be ready. Also trashing a camp used to get around a server quick. Little bargins that were made to leave camps alone are suddenly broken....then when you all realise you got pretty much nothing left the bargins start happening again. 

The public hive was always a flawed concept to me from the frist time i heard how it worked. Remember asking a friend "so can we just join this server with noone on then go to the 60 player one"  ....answer "yep". Next day i started researching private hives. Found a great 10-20 player vanilla z hive. Best time i ever had on dayz was on that server.

• Like 1

in the mod i used to hate when i joined a server and i was spawning with a sniper and alot of gear this is why i used to play origins...i hope that ppl would not be able to change the starting gear :0

Edited by TheCourierVX
  • Like 1

In other words "madmining" 

For Admins absolute power corrupts absolutely. Case in point: every DayZ Private hive I played on consistently. 

Its all fine and dandy to say "We want to stop the haxxors and combat loggers", it never stops there for admins, they always will use their powers to abuse and destroy the integrity of the game for their own benefit, if not now then later on. It always happens though. 

• Like 1

For Admins absolute power corrupts absolutely. Case in point: every DayZ Private hive I played on consistently. 

Its all fine and dandy to say "We want to stop the haxxors and combat loggers", it never stops there for admins, they always will use their powers to abuse and destroy the integrity of the game for their own benefit, if not now then later on. It always happens though. 

Then join another server or just stick to public hives.

You always have the choice.

Keep in mind that's your experience. That does not necessarily means all admins are bad or end up being bad. It's just not that there's any "formal training" so in theory anyone can become one given luck / money / time / the right friends, and of course bad apples are among them. I've been in comms where you had nice admins, was one myself. Some others were less than nice, one guy was rather abusive but got kicked out eventually. It depends on the type of person.

In short: There's probably no "THE admins".

Then join another server or just stick to public hives.

You always have the choice.

The majority of the community will always go where it is "easiest". 

(Example: Everyone plays on daytime servers right now)

That means that the majority of the community will populate private hives for the benefits advertised by admins, leaving the public hives empty. Forcing everyone to play under the harsh hand of someone who has enough money to buy admin and decide who plays and who doesn't. 

So you say i cant hack, server hop, combat log or ghost on some private server?

• Like 1

Keep in mind that's your experience. That does not necessarily means all admins are bad or end up being bad. It's just not that there's any "formal training" so in theory anyone can become one given luck / money / time / the right friends, and of course bad apples are among them. I've been in comms where you had nice admins, was one myself. Some others were less than nice, one guy was rather abusive but got kicked out eventually. It depends on the type of person.

In short: There's probably no "THE admins".

I've been on "one" server where the admins were "fair". 

Not all are assholes but there is a clear majority that buys admin to have complete control over their personal experience. 

This. In the mod I never found a private hive/server that had trustworthy admins. The admins were always cliquish, biased, power hungry douche bags. Sorry correction. There was one server were they weren't.  Forgot about that one. But by the time I found it, I had RL stuff happening and never got to play it often.

I also got tired of all the modding of DayZ that was going on. Between the two it ruined the game for me. Leave the game the way its made. We don't need the DayZ SA to be modded. If you want to mod something you got Arma 2 and a ton of other games that allow it. By modding the SA you lose the core of DayZ. If you want to make your own game so bad go to school, learn programming, and do so.

• Like 1

This.

Are you sure you know how internet works? You can't stop people of doing "things" with your own opinion... we will have private servers (while in fact you can run your own private server already... with some limitation).