Sign in to follow this  
Lady Kyrah

How about no private servers?

So you say i cant hack, server hop, combat log or ghost on some private server?

Private servers usually have the players location saved to one server so yes you cant server hop or ghost people.

Combat log sure you can but people will just wait for you to log back in.

Hack you can but its harder due to white listing and active admins banning hackers regularly.

Private servers also have alot of support software to see if people are injecting scripts or hacks in game.

Private servers usually have the players location saved to one server so yes you cant server hop or ghost people.

Combat log sure you can but people will just wait for you to log back in.

Hack you can but its harder due to white listing and active admins banning hackers regularly.

Private servers also have alot of support software to see if people are injecting scripts or hacks in game.

It's that "support software" that causes much of the problems. It allows them to in theory do the exact same thing as the hackers, except for the fact that they run the server so they can never be caught or punished.

I like private servers. They prevent ghosting/ server hopping and allow us to have multiple characters at once instead of being linked to a single global account.

But this isn't TF2, even though it was apparently just a comparison. I get the point, but I wouldn't shit bricks about it. I cannot imagine 9 out of 10 DayZ servers being "totally custom" if that stuff was allowed.

so you missed the 9 out of 10 private hive servers with "150.000 vehicles :: auto-refill script :: spawn with as50 :: donate for full gear access!" in the mod?

• Like 1

is there anyway to block these "private" servers ? 

private servers are the problem that caused me to leave the mod.. nothing but power hungry kids making their friends spawn in top end gear and kicking people who killed them legit

• Like 1

Private Servers are the fix for server hopping.

I say 'Yeigh' for Private Servers.

It's not about people giving up control; sure there are a lot of people who will abuse admin commands such as giving weapons in the database; you'll find admin abuse in public hives too.

I've encountered dozens of servers in which the administrator will restart just to find good loot; or kicking people to make room for their friends.

It's about finding the right server, public AND private; the server which you like and that has 0% administration interaction except for banning hackers.

You don't have to play in private servers, but one thing which they don't bring is server hopping due to the one instance of that database.

I had a private hive in the mod, sure I would return weapons if a player was killed by a hacker (only if there was definitive evidence provided of a hacker killing them), but that soon stopped; now I have no interaction with the servers, I just play like anybody else and ignore any requests by other players to do X and Y, along with me being the only administrator and the only person with access to databases.

Edited by ColinM9991

I don't see why you would have an issue with private hives, if you don't like them, their rules or whatever changes they have, just don't play there, it won't affect you or your experiance on any public server, get over yourself and let them play how they want.

Private servers on the public hive are another matter entirely. Those should all play by the same rules because what happens there affects every other public server. With loot the way it is currently it does provide an unfair advantage to have a locked server, but once loot is fixed it will essentially be the same as hopping on a low/empty server. But there's still enough of a distinction that they should eliminate the ability to put a password on a private server that's on the public hive.

No to private hives, it totally ruins the purpose of survival and game atmosphere. Just log in to a server and hope you find what's needed to survive. Games nowadays are too softcore, which ruins every single freaking game. I believe server hopping should be fixed first and then the private hives, like a 10 second disconnect or respawning somewhere else when logged out and players nearby. Let us see what the staff throw at us as the game gets updated, let's just hope for the best =)

• Like 1

Private Servers are the fix for server hopping.

I say 'Yeigh' for Private Servers.

It's not about people giving up control; sure there are a lot of people who will abuse admin commands such as giving weapons in the database; you'll find admin abuse in public hives too.

I've encountered dozens of servers in which the administrator will restart just to find good loot; or kicking people to make room for their friends.

It's about finding the right server, public AND private; the server which you like and that has 0% administration interaction except for banning hackers.

You don't have to play in private servers, but one thing which they don't bring is server hopping due to the one instance of that database.

On a public hive if you encounter a bad server you can always take your character elsewhere. On a Private server if you gear up and encounter a badmin you have to start over. 

My point is that allowing the 1337haxxorprivatehivedonatorweapons1000000000vehicle servers will kill the public hive. It's easy to say "QQ just go play on the public hive" but if the community abandons the public hive in favor of the "1337haxxorprivatehivedonatorweapons1000000000vehicle servers" then the public hives will die and you will be forced to play on a badmin server.

You're not supposed to have control over your gaming experience.

What? I'm not allowed to have control over my gaming experience? Should I not be able to change my graphical settings or controls, too?

This. In the mod I never found a private hive/server that had trustworthy admins. The admins were always cliquish, biased, power hungry douche bags. Sorry correction. There was one server were they weren't.  Forgot about that one. But by the time I found it, I had RL stuff happening and never got to play it often.

I also got tired of all the modding of DayZ that was going on. Between the two it ruined the game for me. Leave the game the way its made. We don't need the DayZ SA to be modded. If you want to mod something you got Arma 2 and a ton of other games that allow it. By modding the SA you lose the core of DayZ. If you want to make your own game so bad go to school, learn programming, and do so.

So lets throw mapping out of the window. Lets force players to only be able to play one way, or the highway.

Maybe I'd like to see players making maps and other things for their private servers? I never even played Chernarus on the mod, I always played Namalsk or some of the other maps. Why? It was refreshing to have the option of where to survive.

What? I'm not allowed to have control over my gaming experience? Should I not be able to change my graphical settings or controls, too?

Sure, to a point.

Otherwise we might see people argueing that buildings should be semi transparent :)

Sure, to a point.

Otherwise we might see people argueing that buildings should be semi transparent :)

WHAT THE FUCK. So if I'm getting lag from shadows or having a high view distance, I shouldn't be able to turn it down because of what reason again? HOLY SHIT YOUR LOGIC IS FLAWED.

What if I find a certain set of controls uncomfortable? Oh, boy, I should just deal with it! Moving that voice chat key or changign which button opens the inventory is going to make the game SO SOFTCORE! WOW!

No, no, no, no.

MAPPING / MODDING = YES

SHITTY PRIVATE HIVES WITH SPAWN WITH SNIPPERS AN GHILLIES = NO

• Like 1

On a public hive if you encounter a bad server you can always take your character elsewhere. On a Private server if you gear up and encounter a badmin you have to start over. 

My point is that allowing the 1337haxxorprivatehivedonatorweapons1000000000vehicle servers will kill the public hive. It's easy to say "QQ just go play on the public hive" but if the community abandons the public hive in favor of the "1337haxxorprivatehivedonatorweapons1000000000vehicle servers" then the public hives will die and you will be forced to play on a badmin server.

It is easy to do so actually, if you're afraid of public hives disappearing then purchase a server host, purchase a MySQL host and allow multiple hives, instances or incoming-outgoing connections to create your public hive which you have control over. I paid money to bring a server in to my house, I paid for my copy of server 2008 R2, I pay my internet bills and I paid for all of my equipment; I should be allowed to host what ever variation I want to have a cheat-free experience.

Again, if you don't like private hives then don't play there; simple as.

It's funny how you all complain about server hoppers, then complain about private hives; do any of you see the logic in that?

Edited by ColinM9991

It is easy to do so actually, if you're afraid of public hives disappearing then purchase a server host, purchase a MySQL host and allow multiple hives, instances or incoming-outgoing connections to create your public hive which you have control over. I paid money to bring a server in to my house, I paid for my copy of server 2008 R2, I pay my internet bills and I paid for all of my equipment; I should be allowed to host what ever variation I want to have a cheat-free experience.

Again, if you don't like private hives then don't play there; simple as.

It's funny how you all complain about server hoppers, then complain about private hives; do any of you see the logic in that?

It's funny how you act like the only solution to server hopping is private hive madmin glory holes. 

There are already solutions ready to go but not implemented yet due to server load. 

Just because you have money to buy whatever server equipment you want it doesn't mean that you should be able to have the power to destroy other players experience. 

Main reason private servers are wanted is to squash hackers, server hopping, combat logging, and ghosting.

You can't do those with the stupid public hive structure that is in place on public servers.

White listing and more control over the server does an excellent job of stopping the bs in dayz.

They're writing the game from scratch. Hopefully they should be able to monitor a players movement across servers (as well as other players).

If they make a heatmap, they can track your character. If the servers track joins/leaves they can also see roughly what was occuring when that join/leave occured. A simple 'only moved Xm on this server before logging back into the previous one' flag could highlight suspicious activity in the case of ghosters. If there isn't a direct anti-combat log function (30+s idle before leave) then it could also spot this kind of action (recent logs with multiple players in the area after gunfire/interaction. Likewise for players hopping for loot... Once a player is flagged, mods could watch a highlight reel of the ingame action to see what happened (if that's even needed, I'm sure the server logs would tell the whole story anyway). Punishment - inventory loss and return anyone wrongly killed back to their previous location and equipment status.

Edited by phlOgistOn

It's funny how you act like the only solution to server hopping is private hive madmin glory holes. 

There are already solutions ready to go but not implemented yet due to server load. 

Just because you have money to buy whatever server equipment you want it doesn't mean that you should be able to have the power to destroy other players experience. 

Just because you've had a bad experience in a few private hives, doesn't mean you have to assume that EVERYBODY who has a private hive spawns in weapons and what not for themselves.

I don't like Public Hives, you don't like Private Hives, but lets go with your ideas because you are obviously a much more valuable player and your ideas and opinions matter much more than anybody else, right to the point where you accuse all private hive owners of destroying the community.

Good job, I'll be sure to play only in Public Hives where people carry weapons over from their own servers, where server hoppers kill you because you turn your back or you enter a building where that person has just logged in, where you get in a firefight and somebody ghosts behind you just to kill you.

AND NO PRIVATE HIVE.

It seems that the main reason people want private servers is that they refuse to lose control on their game environment, they want to be able to punish players that do not play how they think the game should be played, or they want to turn the game into something it isn't.

Others want to be able to play "only with their friends" with password protected servers. To me, this goes against what DayZ stands for, you don't get to make the rules, nor do you get to pick who you play with. Just like real life, if you are stuck with people you don't like, you have to deal with it.

I think there are other reasons for private servers, such as for players who want to create a roleplaying environment and players running around calling everyone f****** and n****** and doing other stupid crap isn't exactly conducive to immersive roleplaying. 

Having a private server doesn't mean every private server would turn into 5000 vehicles/full kit/etc. servers.  Some admins might want to ever further restrict private servers and make them more difficult, less weapons, no vehicles, etc. but we don't even know right now what options would be available to private servers.

As long as your character on a private server remains on that server only, I don't see it as a big deal.

I don't even see public/private servers as a big issue right now.  Moreso is the server hopping, combat logging and haxxors (ZOMG!).  I'm pretty sure that the DayZ team is going to focus on getting the game closer to an official release state before they start worrying about a private server hive.

Just skip to SUMMARY: at the bottom. This got away from me and turned into a wall of text. Sorry :)

AND NO PRIVATE HIVE.

It seems that the main reason people want private servers is that they refuse to lose control on their game environment, they want to be able to punish players that do not play how they think the game should be played, or they want to turn the game into something it isn't.

Wanting to play on a private server has nothing to do with punishment for anyone. If you're only intention is to come to a server and KoS every moving thing you can find, then at it's simplest, I don't want to play with you. I'm not going to insist that you conform to my ideals in your sandbox, I'm going to build my own and invite like minded people to join me over here.

This is by far and awy to be preferred than shouting out all over the forums that there should be some arbitrary in-game penalties for banditry/KoS. Now that would be punishment, but for the record, it has no place in DayZ. Just as any reward system for Heroism has no place.

Others want to be able to play "only with their friends" with password protected servers. To me, this goes against what DayZ stands for, you don't get to make the rules, nor do you get to pick who you play with. Just like real life, if you are stuck with people you don't like, you have to deal with it.

If you let people start their own "community" they will try as hard as they can to make their server different from what DayZ is, just for the hope of being remembered, we already had a great example with the mod, with a million of pointless modifications that only cheapen the game.

At is simplest, most basic level, DayZ isn't anything. It isn't a game. It is a sandbox. A set of objects (clothes, food, guns, ammo, buildings, grass and trees) set down in a landscape where we are able to interact with whatever we find and use anyway we want, within the limits the enviroment allows. To this end, DayZ doesn't stand for anything that we don't allow it to, and if we think it stands for something, we have to remember that that is probably only our own ideas and bias' that we are projecting onto it. DayZ is a tool; a means to an end.

So, yes we want to play with our friends, and yes, we want to make the rules, and just as in real life, if we get stuck with people we don't like, we flip them to the curb.

We don't need to start our own community as we already have one. We may try to modify our version of DayZ running on our private server, that will depend on what tools we are given to do so. I don't see this as a problem. The fact that there are so many variations on the DayZ theme, not just small changes to the original or subsequent mod, show that the idea behind it is currently in vogue. Just looking at the gaming scene in general, the Zombie Apocolypse as a theme is everywhere ATM. DayZ, WarZ I mean, Infestation, State of Decay, Dying Light are all stand-alone examples. There is also a lot of promising work being done with the raft of DayZmods in the ArmA2 and ArmA3 engines. I've know I've missed a whole swath of others, but for brevity I've only listed ones that I have actual time-in-game with.

The point is, none of these in any way detract anything from any other. They are all valid and enjoyable in their own right. (Except that second one, which I won't talk about here >:( )

We don't need an easy mode, we don't need "options that let admins adjust the game experience they want", or "training servers" this isn't Garry's mod, TF2 or SecondLife, this is about taking in the full experience, it's also about losing and learning from your mistakes.

Fine. You don't have to play there. Gamers are not a monolithic group. Different people want different things from their gaming time. Different people want different things from their time in DayZ.

Dean & co, find settings that you like and lock the game as such, no matter what they are we will be glad to take on the challenge you've set.

Rocket and the devs have already given us a pretty good road map of where they would like to go with DayZ. Pretty much passworded/private servers, private hives/dbases are already slated for inclusion. I don't see anything altering this path unless some unforseen technical hurdle pops up late in development. But I'd doubt the devs haven't tried to eliminate any possible crisis of design like that. They've done this before, after all.

SUMMARY:

We want to play with our friends, we want to make the rules, and we want the ability to make DayZ our own. And for that reason we want to be able to do this on a private server with a private hive/db so we don't inadvertantly affect your style of play in DayZ.

Since you have the same abilities, I don't see that anyting here isn't full of 'win' for anybody.

• Like 1

I don't even see public/private servers as a big issue right now.  Moreso is the server hopping, combat logging and haxxors (ZOMG!).  I'm pretty sure that the DayZ team is going to focus on getting the game closer to an official release state before they start worrying about a private server hive.

Exactly! NO PUBLIC SERVERS! NO PUBLIC HIVE!

I'm only partly kidding... *sigh*

Just because you've had a bad experience in a few private hives, doesn't mean you have to assume that EVERYBODY who has a private hive spawns in weapons and what not for themselves.

I don't like Public Hives, you don't like Private Hives, but lets go with your ideas because you are obviously a much more valuable player and your ideas and opinions matter much more than anybody else, right to the point where you accuse all private hive owners of destroying the community.

Good job, I'll be sure to play only in Public Hives where people carry weapons over from their own servers, where server hoppers kill you because you turn your back or you enter a building where that person has just logged in, where you get in a firefight and somebody ghosts behind you just to kill you.

If you had read my earlier posts I made it quite clear that I have played on private hives with "fair" admins. 

I never said my opinion mattered more than anyone else. I completely understand why people would want to be an admin so that they can micromanage their experience. I have no problem with you wanting that or sharing your opinion. I'm just trying to help you understand the point of view from people who don't have the disposable income to waste on servers to become admins. 

I am not defending ghosting or combat logging which WILL be fixed and SHOULD be fixed.

Maybe since you run all of your own servers you've never had to endure one where the person who owns the server fucks with your experience and bans if you if kill them. Many people here have experienced that though and don't want it. 

I enjoyed playing on private servers on the mod and look forward to them appearing for the SA, so long as they are easy to pick out from the public hive servers.

I avoid modded versions of the vanilla game but if people want to play on them then thats fine, I don't believe it affects the vanilla game in any way. If they are regulated properly then I don't see any issue with them at all, the benefits of no ghosting or sever hopping had a massive positive impact on my enjoyment of DayZ too.

If you had read my earlier posts I made it quite clear that I have played on private hives with "fair" admins. 

I never said my opinion mattered more than anyone else. I completely understand why people would want to be an admin so that they can micromanage their experience. I have no problem with you wanting that or sharing your opinion. I'm just trying to help you understand the point of view from people who don't have the disposable income to waste on servers to become admins. 

I am not defending ghosting or combat logging which WILL be fixed and SHOULD be fixed.

Maybe since you run all of your own servers you've never had to endure one where the person who owns the server fucks with your experience and bans if you if kill them. Many people here have experienced that though and don't want it. 

That's why it's best to find a good private hive.

People really take the whole private status too far and do spawn equipment for themselves, all of these rMod's, DayZ Fallujah and what not are too far also.

However, in the event that you come across my private hive when the SA server package is released; I would like to see people play on it of course, but I would like people to see that it's just the same as a public hive; only more independent which means that there will be nothing like hopping. However that's just my opinion, we're all entitled to our own.

I have yet to see a fix for ghosting and hopping etc, I may even prefer to play Public once they're released, if they're secured enough.

That's why it's best to find a good private hive.

People really take the whole private status too far and do spawn equipment for themselves, all of these rMod's, DayZ Fallujah and what not are too far also.

However, in the event that you come across my private hive when the SA server package is released; I would like to see people play on it of course, but I would like people to see that it's just the same as a public hive; only more independent which means that there will be nothing like hopping. However that's just my opinion, we're all entitled to our own.

I have yet to see a fix for ghosting and hopping etc, I may even prefer to play Public once they're released, if they're secured enough.

a GOOD private hive is the best way to play, but they tend to be few and far between. If yours is going to try to stay true to the way DayZ was meant to be then I'd gladly try it out.