McBonkhead

The KOS conundrum, problem/solution.

I'm not even going to bother reading any of this garbage. You people act like you are suppose to gear up and then do nothing. Find other players and hold hands and Talk about rainbows and shit. Go play minecraft if you want peace. Here we collect guns not to just wear as some trophy but to blow away any threat to our survival. If you see the name Castiel on the list then note that is one person that will blow your face off. Sorry but I can careless about your cry baby ways

I'm not even going to bother reading any of this garbage. You people act like you are suppose to gear up and then do nothing. Find other players and hold hands and Talk about rainbows and shit. Go play minecraft if you want peace. Here we collect guns not to just wear as some trophy but to blow away any threat to our survival. If you see the name Castiel on the list then note that is one person that will blow your face off. Sorry but I can careless about your cry baby ways

Oh no, an internet tough guy.

Survival is a horrible argument,because if you want to survive you go in one of the northern towns without any military loot and stay there.You shoot people because you want to,not for his beans.

PTSD is not at all like the OP thinks it is. When you get ptsd you are generally just reserved, and quiet, occasionally you are overcome with grief/depression and for me it was mostly when I was extremely inebriated. With PTSD you are a thousand times more likely to sit in your room with no motivation and break down crying than you are to get the shakes and go 'insane'.

Since we all missed the last zombie apocalypse we don't really know what it's going to be like... or would be like. IMO people (as a whole) aren't as likely to be working together, they're going to do what's necessary to protect themselves and only the ones they care about, even if that means turning away that family who was looking for food for their two small children. The ability of a human to survive is incredible and there have been a lot of people who have resorted to canibalism in history in order to survive, they weren't necessarily psychopaths or anything, they were just unwilling to be defeated by whatever hardship was before them. As far as KoS... in a real life zombie apocalypse you'd probably run into that once... but you'd do it till you died. I'm ok with it, my goal in dayz is to be a shadow. If that means never going to cherno or elektro because it's a stupid risk then I'm ok with it. But in reality a zombie apocalypse is retarded anyway because society would easily contain and destroy it (think nuke...). I've never been kos'ed in dayz... so I don't see it as, as much of a problem as things like glitching through walls on upper stories and falling to your death randomly. I say KOS should be a server admin controlled punishment system (and by that I mean server admins should have control over rather their server implements a punish system or not).

• Like 1

People will always kill people. It's what we do.

I shot a guy in the face with the Mosin because he was hot-mic'd and typing to me. I saw him and said hey, he said hey back. He then stopped talking and started typing.. idk why.. but he was hot-mic'd the whole time. I even told him he was hot-mic'd and I could hear him typing on his keyboard. After he either refused to listen, or didn't understand me.. I shot him. No telling how many other people could hear him and were maybe drawn to the sound.. Hopefully my shot scared them off.. I'll never know as I ran out of Elektro after that..

People will always kill people. It's what we do.

Edited by BLFonsworth

Forcing people's avatars to adopt personality disorders and behave differently then the player desires is NOT the way to do it (regardless of what your self awarded PhD in psychology/psychiatry says.)

Assigning a value to every avatar (beyond blood donor) is probably the most constructive way.

Every avatar upon spawning should be assigned a skill that resets and randomizes on death. Players will be able to see which skill their avatar was incarnated with in the paper doll menu.The skill should grant a substantial ability that would make said avatar desirable for a friendly encounter or grouping. 

When players use their skills they slowly increase in potency making living longer a rewarding experience and adds more value to the life. a player who has lived a very long time (in-game terms) could have the ability to create/perform some amazing feats.

These skills could include:

Cook - the player has the ability to process foodstuffs and get 3x the nutrition out of the base ingredients. player can neutralize food poisoning etc...

Mechanic/handyman - player can repair/upgrade vehicles (once implemented), fix tools, repair electronics, etc...

Tailor - by using rags and other articles of clothing, the avatar can repair and enhance articles of clothing

Nurse/doctor- avatar can perform medical treatment 3x as fast with 2x the result and with a much lower chance of infection. They can also successfully "operate" on players in the field and bring them back from death, if their skills reach that point.

Tracker/outdoors-man - player can "see" paths left by other players/zombies/animals for up to 1 hour after they have past. by examining the tracks, they can identify male female, animal species, direction. players can fish better than others with bigger for frequent catches

farmer/botanist - player can grow food faster with larger harvest. player can create medicines,tonics, and ointments with local plantlife.(once pickables are in)

adding a value to your avatar; adding something they you can trade with another such as a skill or service is how you give players a reason NOT to KOS.

Right now (and justifiably) the game is early in its development players are merely bean dispensers.

*edited for spelling

Edited by Bubbajones
  • Like 1

dayz cannot survive as an openworld deathmatch shooter with a touch of fail at being a zombie survival game...

The exact same argument was made thousands of times times by thousands of angry folks just like you during the mod days, then 850,000 people turned around and purchased the Standalone knowing that PvP was a central, ever-present and core mechanic of the game. So maybe you're not such a strong authority on what will and will not contribute to DayZ's survival as a game.

Yes, it's a zombie game and, yes, it's a survival game. Good on you for figuring those two out. But, I'm sorry, it also happens to be a PvP game. It is all of these things at once. A major part of the struggle to survive in DayZ is learning how to survive other players' attempts to murder you. They don't need a reason to murder you and nobody is going to swoop in with a magic wand and "punish" them for doing so. You need to learn to deal with it yourself.

They're going to keep murdering you if you let them. They're not going to stop because zombies get more plentiful or powerful. They're not going to stop if you give them "skills" to practice. They're not going to "go play ARMA or CoD" or whatever other games you want to suggest. They're just going to keep shooting at you, because that's what they want to do.

If you fancy yourself such a survivor, then my advice is to suck it the fuck up and start surviving.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 1

Stop reading the OP once you thought this game was a simulator.

1. There is no "fraternity of murderers".. Any such fraternity implodes upon itself after a short time. 

3. No.. Murderers generally do not cooperate. There are three possible motivations for murder:

Armies, intelligence agencies and certain governments. Enough said.

Go play minecraft if you want peace. 

I take some small degree of offence at the implication that Minecraft can't be PvP-oriented :P

OMG here we go again with crappy ideas how to castrate game insead of adding new content to give players other things to do.

Ppl forget about this but zombie apocalypse scenario include death of most humanity. There are two types who survive psyhopats and ppl who doesn't trust anybody. There is no place for guys running around shouting friendly in the middle of Balota (aka asking for death). If you are one of them you are part of 99% of population who will die in a few frist days. If you want to play as a normal guy learn how to survive.

Another thing is most of you new players forget about that this is early alpha 90% of content is still not here whitch make most of ppl who areplaying now bored thats why they get involved in PvP. When new content will arive PvP the probability of encounters will fall.

That would be WAY too complicated to put in a game that is ONLY based on multiplayer. I'd love to see it though.

I can imagine playing a night time game and one of the characters that you killed before appears right behind you and shoots you and a fake death screen shows up but actually you go unconcious. It doesn't hurt to dream.

KOS will go down massively when zombies are a problem, Right now they are just worthless, they were in the mod aswell.

Once teaming up becomes usefull to staying alive, the KOS will not be an issue. All that needs to happen is more zombies, stronger zombies, zombies that will climb thru windows, stalk you. hunt you. Going into a town should get 50 plus zombies after you if you're not super carefull. In cherno or elecktro, 100's. ZOMBIES EVERYWHERE. And they need to be a real threat. 

It should also be possible to play as a zombie, be able to alert other zombies to survivors location. 

Edited by sai
  • Like 1

KOS will go down massively when zombies are a problem, Right now they are just worthless, the were in the mod aswell.

Once teaming up becomes usefull to staying alive, the KOS will not be an issue. All that needs to happen is more zombies, stronger zombies, zombies that will climb thru windows, stalk you. hunt you. Going into a town should get 50 plus zombies after you if you're not super carefull. In cherno or elecktro, 100's. ZOMBIES EVERYWHERE. And they need to be a real threat. 

It should also be possible to play as a zombie, be able to alert other zombies to survivors location. 

I don't know but yesterday I went to explore the great city of Chernogorsk without my clan mates and I almost died, I found around 50-70 zombies, I killed them all because I didn't feel like running away and they die 1 shot kill and I had ammo, but holy shit that was a lot of zombies and wasted ammo considering how little loot I found in the city. It's a little unrealistic though, there should be around 5.000 zombies chasing my ass for being the only one shooting an M4 in the entire city. 

Making them a lot more in number and a real danger would work, but 100 moving zombies ON SIGHT is a lot of CPU and GPU usage considering that the CPU is aware of EVERY zombie and living thing in a 225 square Kms map, besides lots of players can barely run the game as it is right now. 

I don't know but yesterday I went to explore the great city of Chernogorsk without my clan mates and I almost died, I found around 50-70 zombies, I killed them all because I didn't feel like running away and they die 1 shot kill and I had ammo, but holy shit that was a lot of zombies and wasted ammo considering how little loot I found in the city. It's a little unrealistic though, there should be around 5.000 zombies chasing my ass for being the only one shooting an M4 in the entire city. 

Making them a lot more in number and a real danger would work, but 100 moving zombies ON SIGHT is a lot of CPU and GPU usage considering that the CPU is aware of EVERY zombie and living thing in a 225 square Kms map, besides lots of players can barely run the game as it is right now. 

Talking about the mod? You must of ran over the whole place looking for them, because that never happens to me. Unless I look for them myself.

I think the zombies and game in general needs a graphic reduction. As it is there is no way we are going to get lots of zombies as you've stated. Doesn't mean it needs to look bad. 

I do dislike the KoS mentality but more often than not I do just shoot nearby players that are armed. It's just not worth the risk.

It's unarmed players I love bumping into. A group of 4 and I held up a player in a house demanding he comes out or we'll storm it and kill him. He came out, so we told him to drop his food and water as maintaining 5 people means we were low. He said he didn't have any so I cuffed him. Searching him, we found rice and water. We told him he shouldn't have lied and force fed him disinfectant. We began leaving, he freed himself and chased us telling us we "fucked him". He tried to attack one of us so I put a round in his leg before a friend axed him a few times and we watched him bleed out.

I'm an out-and-out bandit but we would've left him alive to find his own way, I hate just killing people but I do love interacting with players properly, albeit in an aggressive way. This kind of system would be brilliant IF it was done right as I think my character would fit quite well in the "insane" category.

• Like 1

Here's a great clip from a TED Talks on the history of violence. It's a good incite into all this, as DayZ is all about the gritty realities of a zombie horror simulator.

The 12 minute mark is particularly interesting on the KOS subject.

http://www.ted.com/talks/steven_pinker_on_the_myth_of_violence.html

Edited by McBonkhead

KoS is the true and absolute heart and soul of DayZ. 

There isn't a problem with the game. It's fucking great the way it is.

If you have a problem with it, then make different choices.

/end thread ?

Edited by Gekkonidae

I'm glad somebody is finally addressing KOS. Some people play like that all the time, some never do, and still others go back and forth depending on stuff. Good thing we talked that out. 

• Like 2

/end thread ?

I'm not sure... Have ALL the ProKOS players chimed in yet?   :P

• Like 1

I liked 2,4 and 5.

Agreed! I like the first point too. Building drama isn't hard when you had to shoot zombie family members on day one. 

• Like 1