Katabasis

Light RP, Community Growth, Private Server Discussion

Great ideas. I'll update this thread after patch with an event. Aldo what do you mean by seeded?

I mean encourage your clan mates to sit idle in the server, even if they just find a bush alt-tab and do something else.

I would never join a 0/40 server, but once it hits about 10/40 it comes on my radar and I might join. I'm sure I'm not the only one filtering the server list by population.

Edited by bad_mojo
  • Like 1

I play with a small group but I am interested in this. I like the ideas of personal back stories and motivation driving individual character actions but I also like the idea of factions forming and fighting for control of Chernarus. (Not that there's any reason you can't have both.) 

Was this server supposed to be daylight 24/7? It was dark when I logged in today...don't know if that was intentional, caused by the patch, ???

Every other time I've logged in the sun really hasn't moved. 

Also I've been playing on this server consistently and will continue to do so (as long as it goes back to being not dark) but I never see you on Kata. If there's anything i can do to help popularize the server though, let me know. 

God I cannot wait. I'm just worried we started the community too soon and we will run out of steam and funds before it hits the sweet spot. Worst case scenario we descend on a hardcore server for a few months while we save up money for round 2. I'm just paranoid about running out of money. I can't front the 100 bucks a month on my own. We have enough currently until March 11 though so I'm prob just paranoid for no reason.

Hey, I'd be willing to send money to keep a good server up.

Greetings!  Since seeing some of your videos posted in the Gallery section, I have been playing on your server, albeit alone 99% of the time.  My ping is not too bad (typically 65ish) and don't run into too many technical issues so I hope to keep playing on your server.  I never seem to find it listed in my history though.   I really like the RP aspect, and what you trying to do as well.

I look forward to some interaction in more populated areas once I get brave enough.

Since playing primarily 1st person view, going back to the 3rd person view seems awkward on different servers.

Anyway, hope to run into a group to run around with at some point.

Ump

I've since died and my new character has a different look that I've found I prefer. So time to update the backstory.

I had awoken in a crashed military vehicle, the rest of my squad dead. Peeling myself from the wreck, I headed into my barracks, which was a short walk away from the wreck, and changed into a fresh uniform. Being a combat medic, the uniform wasn't camouflaged, but rather an olive green color. I put my sidearm in my holster and gathered up some canteens, a radio, and a spare mag in a burlap sack and turned to leave. On my way out, I saw a masked man carrying a rifle look at me and yell "Hey there's a live one over here" and he fired at me. I tripped back inside, and looked for a weapon. There was no time to load the pistol so I grabbed a combat knife and stabbed the manin the neck as he came in. I grabbed my burlap sack and ran off into the woods.

I don't believe all men are like that. I feel there is good in everyone. That's why I'll use my medical and field knowledge to help those I can. But I'll be careful... None of you crazies or those infected will take me down.. No sir.

Well this sucks, server is still pitch black. Is it just me or was this server 24/7 daylight?

I don't wanna play on another server! :(

Well this sucks, server is still pitch black. Is it just me or was this server 24/7 daylight?

I don't wanna play on another server! :(

Believe it gets reset every time a patch is released. Sorry, when he gets around to it, he'll probably fix it, I wouldn't mind night time servers if it wasn't the dark side of the moon.

Believe it gets reset every time a patch is released. Sorry, when he gets around to it, he'll probably fix it, I wouldn't mind night time servers if it wasn't the dark side of the moon.

The problem with night is that people cheat by turning up their brightness. Always day is more fair for everyone.

• Like 1

It is now early morning .. SO SORRY! I was at work (i live on the west coast) and couldnt update till now.  If 8am is a bad time for the server to be at let me know.  I find switching up the time every few weeks to be kinda interesting.  To those of you worried about low server pop, I think it has just been because of the patch announcement.  Currently there are over 11 and I literally just turned it back to daylight.  Thanks for bearing with me.  Also feel free to come into teamspeak for those of you who are over 18.

Hey, I'd be willing to send money to keep a good server up.

That would be sweet!  If you decide to just message me and I can give you details.

Was this server supposed to be daylight 24/7? It was dark when I logged in today...don't know if that was intentional, caused by the patch, ???

Every other time I've logged in the sun really hasn't moved. 

Also I've been playing on this server consistently and will continue to do so (as long as it goes back to being not dark) but I never see you on Kata. If there's anything i can do to help popularize the server though, let me know. 

I fixed it .. sorry I was at work.  Also glad to see you enjoying the server!  I have a good feeling about the communities future once we start getting a lot of people around.  Groups will form and stories will be had ... great times!

I play with a small group but I am interested in this. I like the ideas of personal back stories and motivation driving individual character actions but I also like the idea of factions forming and fighting for control of Chernarus. (Not that there's any reason you can't have both.) 

I have this vision in my head that is a conglomeration of eve online, darkfall, d&d, cs, and ultima online and I really think dayz might be the best playground to attempt this type of synergy...  I just hope people have patience and stick it out for the long haul.  Current game mechanics limit what we can currently do.

Greetings!  Since seeing some of your videos posted in the Gallery section, I have been playing on your server, albeit alone 99% of the time.  My ping is not too bad (typically 65ish) and don't run into too many technical issues so I hope to keep playing on your server.  I never seem to find it listed in my history though.   I really like the RP aspect, and what you trying to do as well.

I look forward to some interaction in more populated areas once I get brave enough.

Since playing primarily 1st person view, going back to the 3rd person view seems awkward on different servers.

Anyway, hope to run into a group to run around with at some point.

Ump

hahah glad to finally hear from you.  Ive seen your name on several times yet I dont think we have met ingame.  Feel free to join up in teamspeak and hang out.  I have found that 3rd person camera after playing 1st person so long feels VERY ODD!  I think teamspeak is a good place to meet people but I would love it if more people would meet ingame and come up w/ long term group goals.  Would be epic.  I have one right now that I am not at liberty to talk about yet lol.

I've since died and my new character has a different look that I've found I prefer. So time to update the backstory.

I had awoken in a crashed military vehicle, the rest of my squad dead. Peeling myself from the wreck, I headed into my barracks, which was a short walk away from the wreck, and changed into a fresh uniform. Being a combat medic, the uniform wasn't camouflaged, but rather an olive green color. I put my sidearm in my holster and gathered up some canteens, a radio, and a spare mag in a burlap sack and turned to leave. On my way out, I saw a masked man carrying a rifle look at me and yell "Hey there's a live one over here" and he fired at me. I tripped back inside, and looked for a weapon. There was no time to load the pistol so I grabbed a combat knife and stabbed the manin the neck as he came in. I grabbed my burlap sack and ran off into the woods.

I don't believe all men are like that. I feel there is good in everyone. That's why I'll use my medical and field knowledge to help those I can. But I'll be careful... None of you crazies or those infected will take me down.. No sir.

Love it!  Currently, I (brink) am on a Chechnyan recon mission . . . trust me when I say you do not want to run into us wearing anything that could be interpreted as Chernarus Military gear....If we meet you may learn more.

The problem with night is that people cheat by turning up their brightness. Always day is more fair for everyone.

If i could figure out how to make nighttime work I wouldnt mind making it a bit more varied in daytime.... maybe start the server at 7pm and then 1 hour or so every server restart would be dusk.  That may be a kinda sweet spot. depends on how dark it gets ... testing it requires multiple server restarts tho so I may do it early in the am.

Edited by Katabasis

server has been updated back yet again to daytime only ...  patches will ALWAYS revert it to using current GMT ... as soon as i see there is a patch I try and update ..sorry it takes so long sometimes.

EDIT:  server may not be getting updated correctly .. putting in a support ticket .. will update this post

EDIT2: so the server seems to be at 7am (morning daylight) but in the server settings it still shows as "use current GMT".  If you see that the server is ever in nighttime please add 213hybrid on steam and let me know and i will change it asap

Edited by Katabasis

So myself and a few others have been wondering about the validity of having a server currently with the way Dayz is functioning.  Currently it seems like if the server isn't full or close to it, most of our community is playing on other servers (which is fine).  I am debating whether we need a server at all at this point in time if we are functioning on other servers for the vast majority of our playtime.  I personally have only played on our server but I have been running into few players since the server population is so low. 

The other thing we have be thinking about is the fact that there isnt much for a roleplay group to function around yet.  Beyond forced interactions of story, backgrounds, etc., there doesnt seem to be any endgame systems in place such as camps, a truly indepth medic system, etc.  So there is no need for much player or group interaction.  No requirement to have many resources etc.  Anyone can find a gun/food/meds in a short amount of time and then proceed to do whatever they want. 

At some point these things will change.  The game will get more permanent systems in place to aid in engame content (and player made content), the health system will be more complex than "eat beans till I am full health/use a splint" and resources will actually have a meaning (then owning a city will be lucrative and also something to fight over).  Without these systems in place I am beginning to doubt if a light RP community can really thrive. 

The community will continue to grow but maybe we chose another server as a home.  I have done absolutely zero in regards to server managmeent (because there has been no need as well as no ability, I have no options I can chose as server admin to really enact any change to the game, nor should I).  So it isnt like we are gaining any real benefit from having our own controllable server.  Currently we have the server until March 11th.  I have not gotten any donations towards paying off the server past March 11th so it isnt like if we decide to not have a server I have to refund people (if I had to I certainly would). 

Thoughts?  What are we gaining by having our own server that we wouldnt get from just declaring ARC as our primary home?  In the future we would revisit the issue of course once things like private hives/tents/player fortifications are in.

I don't hate RP, I love role playing games. 

But it destroys what DayZ is.  A 'game' where there are never any rules of any kind, where, just like in real life, everything that happens is because of people interacting, and the only 'rules' that govern their behavior are calculations about self-interest, desires, attitudes, etc. That's what makes DayZ special. That's the only way it rises above the grime of the Arma2 engine, the genre, etc. 

Everyone in DayZ is already forced to roleplay all the time, but they're forced to play the role of a human being.  

I'm sorry but I just couldn't stand leaving this post be, I had to bump this old thread to point out what a stupid post this is. If you honestly think people act the way they do in DayZ like they do in real life, you either have never experienced real life or haven't played DayZ. That, or you're full of shit. Roleplaying is great for DayZ because it makes people act like human beings with personalities and stories to tell, how people would actually act in a post apocalyptic scenario. Not just "I'm going to kill you because I found good loot and have nothing to do now". Really, people in DayZ just kill each other on sight and for fun, that's not generally how humans would behave. Even in a zombie apocalypse where you're trying to look out for yourself, trying to kill all of the few remaining humans that you find so that it's just you versus what used to be the majority of the population of the planet would be a really moronic idea in reality. Seriously, what would cause you to say something so incredibly dumb? You honestly must hate roleplaying in any multiplayer game because the way you justify your opinion is the same thing you could say about any multiplayer game with roleplaying potential. People in DayZ generally do NOT roleplay as real human beings, end of story.

Hello there

No need to necro.

Closing.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1