Sign in to follow this  
crazyandlazy

Question for Mosin experts

What cause a mosin's bullet to go slightly to the left? I read somewhere that damaged scopes make the bullet go to the left? It it true?

I have been testing it out with my worn long range scope and I did not notice anything like the above? Is there only bullet drop to be considered?

Where did you find your Mosin? I've been looking all over (mostly the north) for one and cannot seem to come across one. Plenty of M4's, no Mosin's though.. 

I've found them in cars and the long white barns.

• Like 2

Where did you find your Mosin? I've been looking all over (mostly the north) for one and cannot seem to come across one. Plenty of M4's, no Mosin's though.. 

Search the three apartment building complexes ;]. Search cars. 

• Like 1

What cause a mosin's bullet to go slightly to the left? I read somewhere that damaged scopes make the bullet go to the left? It it true?

I have been testing it out with my worn long range scope and I did not notice anything like the above? Is there only bullet drop to be considered?

I woulden't look to much into why it's happening at the moment , I think there is some hidden damage for your gun that hasent been shown yet , or some issues with accuracy or ballistics idk

From what i have seen the mosin is very inaccurate if you get the zeroing wrong, For example i tried to snipe a guy at about 200m but it was set to 400m and it totally missed, So be careful with your zeroing and you should be fine.

Bullet drop and wind.

If you've ever played ArmA 2 then you'll know this already.

I've only noticed the Mosin deviates to the left at about 800m. Otherwise I have not noticed any deviation at ranges less than that.

• Like 1

From what i have seen the mosin is very inaccurate if you get the zeroing wrong, For example i tried to snipe a guy at about 200m but it was set to 400m and it totally missed, So be careful with your zeroing and you should be fine.

Yeah you have to be at least close with your zero. Also aim center mass and you should be fine. Hit a zombie at about 550 yards while zero'd at 600. Cross hairs on the belly, round hit the head.

Bullet drop and wind.

^ this is true.

Although what the OP is describing I literally watched in a video last night.

A player was laying down, roughly 800m (that was his zero) the target was standing still, he took 3 shots.

First was off (pulled left as OP stated, not by much though) Second he corrected but bullet still missed by inches (to the left) Third was an adjusted shot to the right of target, bullet pulled slightly left and hit target in the head (target had ballistic helmet lol) point is, there may be some truth to OP, which is why he was asking for mosin experts, not dayz sniper experts, he wants to know if there's any real-life issue that may cause this slight pull to the left. (I assume)

• Like 1

I've only noticed the Mosin deviates to the left at about 800m. Otherwise I have not noticed any deviation at ranges less than that.

Cool thanks for sharing your info!

which is why he was asking for mosin experts, not dayz sniper experts, he wants to know if there's any real-life issue that may cause this slight pull to the left. (I assum

I am not a mosin expert but no there is nothing IRL that causes them to get pulled to the left and if there was you zeroing the rifle would account for it. :thumbsup:

I suggest takin' it out and practice on some zombs or a wall at about 800meters. You'll get a feel for where the round lands and after a little bit of time, you'll be pulling off headshots like nobodies business. 

From my experience, bullets do indeed curve to the left noticeably when using a scope damaged or below. I haven't use a worn scope yet so I can't chime in on that. I can also confirm the slight(very little) left curve on pristine scopes when shooting at over 800m.

However, if you add a bipod to your mosin (perferably in pristine condition) you will almost always (9/10 shots for me) hit right on the target. This is of course assuming your zeroing is correct.

• Like 1

I've heard the top floor of school's spawn mosins pretty often.

• Like 1

I've heard the top floor of school's spawn mosins pretty often.

It used to all the time, now I find the revolver or .45 there almost every time.

Ok guys tested it out with my worn long range scope. The bullets stray left 90% of the time. I tested on four zombies. Will test more and post results.

Anyone is welcome to chime in. More scope status/stray data would help us understand the left stray a little bit. Knowledge is power,

Bullet drop and wind.

If you've ever played ArmA 2 then you'll know this already.

Nope. I tried shooting a Mosin in two different directions, the cross wind would have come from either side and each time it shot to the left. The only  thing I can think of (however unlikely) is that Rocket is trying to be a little too realistic. Some people will tell you (in real life) that the mosin is most accurate with the BAYONET EXTENDED. Something about barrel harmonics or whatnot. I personally have not verified this with my Mosin M44 because the damn thing just aint accurate for shit :lol:, not compared to this game at least. Who knows, maybe people in Russia just take really good care of their 100 year old guns.  

Someone test this with the bayonet extended vs. retracted and tell me what you find. 

Edited by wolfsburg62

Nope. I tried shooting a Mosin in two different directions, the cross wind would have come from either side and each time it shot to the left. The only  thing I can think of (however unlikely) is that Rocket is trying to be a little too realistic. Some people will tell you (in real life) that the mosin is most accurate with the BAYONET EXTENDED. Something about barrel harmonics or whatnot. I personally have not verified this with my Mosin M44 because the damn thing just aint accurate for shit :lol:, not compared to this game at least. Who knows, maybe people in Russia just take really good care of their 100 year old guns.  

hmmmmm i hadn't thought of that, i'll have to go find a bayonet. i've gotta pristine lrs with bipod and still some of my shots will pull slightly to the left. 

also whose doing target practice on zombies? set up a snipers nest with approx ranges on likely target buildings, wait for server hoppers. Nothing feels better than dropping a hopper. although you'll likely only get one or two shots before they prone and log off, so make sure your ranges are right and try and place your shots slightly left of center mass just to be sure. 

Some people will tell you (in real life) that the mosin is most accurate with the BAYONET EXTENDED.

PSA: In-game the bayonet only serves to reduce your accuracy and make your gun more visible. Discard it immediately. :lol:

It's not wind though, it's something to do with the models, probably a bug, but possibly intentional and depending on item condition. Maybe it could even be something to do with the proxy attachment system.

Anyways I'm 99% certain it's an issue with the models.

• Like 1

I want to keep this alive. I just got character wiped but I want to hear testing results for Pristine long range scopes.