Sign in to follow this  
Flight96

My opinion on Killing on sight...

Now i see ALOT of complaining around here about 'KoS' and i thought i'd just give my opinion and perspective on the matter.

Being a dayZ mod player for years now and a dayZ SA player and reading all of the back and forth arguments on the forums have made me think of this point.

Generally speaking, once your character is geared and sufficiently fed, clothed and watered, what is there left to do? Interact with players.Whether that be through negative or positive means  I.E Banditry, heroism or Killing on sight, etc etc.

Now what is the PRIMARY goal of non-KoSers, heroes, and just your average ordinary dayZ survivor after doing the above? (Gearing) meeting friendlies to ally with and complete tasks with. That is where the problem begins. Meeting and revealing yourself to strangers in this apocalyptic game is potential suicide. You are potentially putting the fate of the entire situation in their hands and that is simply NOT how to survive. It is only logical to NOT engage with armed strangers regardless of situation, it simply invites hostile behavior like prodding an on edge, caged animal. The person you reveal yourself to may NOT EVEN BE a regular KoSer, he may be a starving survivor in need of food.

If someone unexpectedly comes into sight while you are not expecting anything or anyone to do so it is startling; be it a zombie or a player. As humans (of course keep in mind were in a zombie apocalypse here..humanity as we know it has fallen..hell on earth is the theme and mood of the title..etc..), our NATURAL reaction is to go into defense mind state, 'who are you', 'what do you have that can hurt me', Those are standard mentalities in an apocalyptic world such as this.

Going by that ^ logic you would expect your average (EVEN NON-KoSer) to shoot first (on sight..) and ask questions later when dealing with armed strangers even unarmed strangers as we can now beat each other with our fists. Re-enforcing the need to be cautious.

If you truly have the need to meet friendlies to survive with, the right way to do it isn't in the 'heat of the moment' in game.. its via the forums or other means. There's always the potential of STILL being betrayed by people you meet on the forums so if you also truly feel its too much of a risk to your survival or if past experience says otherwise, then being alone is simply your greatest strength and your worst enemy, an aspect brought out of you via the glory of DayZ.

Now, lets just say the primary goal of KoSers is to of course..KoS. But let's look at exactly why they KoS. If you look past the mindless killers and the players that just want to watch the world burn your left with people that are potentially starving, have no problems with being alone OR (My primary point) already HAVE friends to play with. Yes, people not looking to meet new people and have plenty of people they legitimately trust to play with are categorized as KoSers. Even though they are simply using the same kill or be killed, on edge, zombie apocalypse mentality that you would expect.

Just my 2 cents. I have plenty of more to say, but i'm tired as hell.

• Like 2

I only KOS people with guns that have seen me. Most people either kill everyone, or kill people who have guns, so it's the safe option. People with axes and such can't hurt me unless they're close, so I'll caution them and tell them to be on their way.

Example: Spawned in the fire station, guy comes upstairs with an m4 and I quickly axe him to death, because he's obviously trying to get some distance to shoot me. Another guy comes up armed with a mosin, so I shoot him.

Example 2: I go downstairs in the Airtraffic control tower in Balota and see a guy with a large backpack with no weapon. I tell him that there's nothing upstairs (It was the truth) and to move out of the building and go elsewhere before I leave. He runs up the stairs to me, so I shoot him.

Example 3: I'm just about to leave Balota after searching the barracks. A guy with an axe comes round the corner with an axe and gets on the ground saying "friendly!". I tell him that I'm not going to shoot him and that the barracks had been cleared out. I moved past him and used alt to make sure he wasn't following me.

i think people think way to much about KoS...

just my opinion ;)

• Like 6

Example 4: I hear shots and cries but dont see anybody. After a guy surfaces, I shoot him because of prevention.

Then I recognize that he was fleeing from another guy. After that the other guys kills me. KoS < KoS < KoS

The only way I can interact with my environment is shooting things.

• Like 2

Example 5: I see that the thing before me is a man so it is natural to stab the crotch with a shovel.

Edited by Mookzen

Who cares? KoSing/PvPing is the most fun (in my opinion). Whether with gun or axe.

Killing on sight is the heart and soul of DayZ. 

• Like 2

I have lost track on how many KoS threads I've read which describe why people do it. It is common sense as to why people KoS eachother, it Should also be common sense after playing this game for a while that if you want a buddy to play with, you either find one via communication outside of this game or you play with the friends you may or may not already have.

Edited by MystoganXIX

I have lost track on how many KoS threads I've read which describe why people do it. It is common sense as to why people KoS eachother, it Should also be common sense after playing this game for a while that if you want a buddy to play with, you either find one via communication outside of this game or you play with the friends you may or may not already have.

It's really unfortunate that the above stated is not common sense around here. Proof is in the threads.

I played for 4 days where I ran from city to city on 25+ player servers. When I got to each city I would WALK right down main street. I was only shot at a few times, and I think all of them were outside of the cities. Stay calm, walk on. At the end of my trip I died in the ATC tower NEAF when I fell out through the wall :|  Leaving the solid ground is more dangerous than KOS.

• Like 1

More zombies and enviromental dangers / less firearms and even lesser ammuniton makes you think twice before shoot people on sight in a crowded server. When you get dozens of ammo and rifle and even a pistol what else you gonna do but shooting someone to make your miserable life better?

IMO the environment the situation should force you to co operate and even form temporary raid groups to stom deep into the cities and bases to reach better loot. KoS is the only option for many players to entertain themselves because apart from the other players theres not that much thing to do. I see a lot of posts regarding the firearm variety. High tech sniper weapons, assault rifles, thermals and such. For the love of god BF4 and CoD offer a lot of those. I'd like to see simple guns and rare military grade weapons. 

I feel like you're selling this game short if you believe the right way to meet people is on these forums.

I bet you think the right way to communicate is with teamspeak.

You're entitled to your opinion, but if I had that opinion, I wouldn't be playing much DayZ because this game would bore the shit out of me. Killing someone or being killed is so boring to me, I couldn't spend hours gearing up for that. But, I can easily spend hours gearing up for the chance to meet someone new, to have a new experiences in the game, to witness something incredible, to die in horribly terrifying ways.

I've met a few friends randomly in dayz, ended up adding them to steam and on xbox live after playing for a few hours. While they might not be best of friends, for me there is something special about our friendship that stands above friendships arranged on a forum or clan site, or even a more organized game. We shared an experience early on, we put our trust in each other, we stood shoulder to shoulder and faced what dayz threw at us, it bonded us. While it might sound cheesy and all, it's the truth. The same philosophy is used in the workplace, coworkers will all go play paintball because it brings them together as a team, having a common enemy makes them allies.

I have never (ok a few times) KoS unless it be a scummy camping sniper. 

It gets me shot and killed a few times playing this way, but you do find friendlies out there, if only to travel with for an hour or two.

Shooting someone because you are scared of losing your gear is taking away the best aspects of DayZ - player interaction.  You might be missing a great adventure if you shoot a guy instantly.

I think playing with strangers is better than teaming up with buddies because the tension of whether you trust them or not is always there in the back of your mind  - and the tension between 2 humans is always the best thing about zombie movies/games.

My 2 cents.

I only KOS people with guns that have seen me.

So you only KOS people that haven't KOSed you?

Don't get me wrong.  I kill everyone I see.  I have a necklace made of teeth and 9v batteries.

I'd say the primary reason for kos, is the extremely low risk, versus extremely high reward. You live, and the other player dies. You continue forward, and the other player is set back to zero. Especially when you see the other player before they see you, there is no reason whatsoever to let them live, even long enough to know you're there.

Coupled with this, the major reason the risk is so low is due to the instant death/unconsiousness.

If it took anything more than one bullet (or one spray of bullets) to kill a player, especially an unsuspecting one, people would consider the fact that they might die if that player gets a chance to attack in return.

TLDR: Instant death encourages/reinforces kos.

Just hording gear is boring to me; I'm in the game for the tense player on player interactions. People who KoS are scared of losing their stuff to the point of firing at anything and everything. Interaction is much more worth it than some gear in my eyes. Met some guy in Balota airfield, and we both had M4s, but i decided to try my luck even though he hadn't seen me, and eventually we teamed up and headed up to the military base. It was late so I hid and got off, and guess what? He never backstabbed me, and I never thought to kill him first off. We ended up snagging ourselves a bunch of loot, each of us looking out for the other as we searched.

Now i see ALOT of complaining around here about 'KoS' and i thought i'd just give my opinion and perspective on the matter.

Being a dayZ mod player for years now and a dayZ SA player and reading all of the back and forth arguments on the forums have made me think of this point.

Generally speaking, once your character is geared and sufficiently fed, clothed and watered, what is there left to do? Interact with players.Whether that be through negative or positive means  I.E Banditry, heroism or Killing on sight, etc etc.

Now what is the PRIMARY goal of non-KoSers, heroes, and just your average ordinary dayZ survivor after doing the above? (Gearing) meeting friendlies to ally with and complete tasks with. That is where the problem begins. Meeting and revealing yourself to strangers in this apocalyptic game is potential suicide. You are potentially putting the fate of the entire situation in their hands and that is simply NOT how to survive. It is only logical to NOT engage with armed strangers regardless of situation, it simply invites hostile behavior like prodding an on edge, caged animal. The person you reveal yourself to may NOT EVEN BE a regular KoSer, he may be a starving survivor in need of food.

If someone unexpectedly comes into sight while you are not expecting anything or anyone to do so it is startling; be it a zombie or a player. As humans (of course keep in mind were in a zombie apocalypse here..humanity as we know it has fallen..hell on earth is the theme and mood of the title..etc..), our NATURAL reaction is to go into defense mind state, 'who are you', 'what do you have that can hurt me', Those are standard mentalities in an apocalyptic world such as this.

Going by that ^ logic you would expect your average (EVEN NON-KoSer) to shoot first (on sight..) and ask questions later when dealing with armed strangers even unarmed strangers as we can now beat each other with our fists. Re-enforcing the need to be cautious.

If you truly have the need to meet friendlies to survive with, the right way to do it isn't in the 'heat of the moment' in game.. its via the forums or other means. There's always the potential of STILL being betrayed by people you meet on the forums so if you also truly feel its too much of a risk to your survival or if past experience says otherwise, then being alone is simply your greatest strength and your worst enemy, an aspect brought out of you via the glory of DayZ.

Now, lets just say the primary goal of KoSers is to of course..KoS. But let's look at exactly why they KoS. If you look past the mindless killers and the players that just want to watch the world burn your left with people that are potentially starving, have no problems with being alone OR (My primary point) already HAVE friends to play with. Yes, people not looking to meet new people and have plenty of people they legitimately trust to play with are categorized as KoSers. Even though they are simply using the same kill or be killed, on edge, zombie apocalypse mentality that you would expect.

you sir are everything that is RIGHT with this game..... this is how I decide in a split second if ur going to be fodder or im gunna fill your pack with goodies (no weapons just yet but ill get to that) if your gun is in its rdy pos. in my direction I shoot first, if I see a bandit act (shooting of fresh spawns ect) ur dead, if your don't respond to my hails text or voice you might as well hold a bulls eye.

on the flip side if you make me aware your in the area I may give u a pass. if u have something to offer food water meds ill gladly trade with you. if I get the drop on you (walk up behind you or have u pinned in building) and you follow instructions ill let you go. but tru test is if your trust me!!!! if I find a new guy and I have an extra holster or back pac ill give them up but I ask for something in return, like check that building for me ive got you covered and your willing to accept that I got your back I may even pass you a gun and ammo if we are together long enough. ive even been known to pic up and empty gun/holster combo and toss it on ground to a subdued spawner, as a rule of thumb tho never and I mean never give a gun or ammo to someone u just met

but I guess my point here is this is dayz if I want to hit u with an axe for my youtube im going to, it wouldn't be a survive or die game if u set limits on when and where a player can betray someone, also you have the option to leave server and find an empty one no one told any of u to join the 39/40 room, or u can spend your days in the woods, small towns less traversed. if u go to cherno or electro every time u spawn u deserve to get shot. these are places where there is an abundance of hiding places and alrdy looted buildings in the mod we would run "raids" on them where 10-15 of us would group up and close in on city from diff. areas letting anyone left in city know to leave or die until our supply raid was over....... if your a loner stay away from urban areas and roads keep to hillsides and tree lines move in the shadows.  play this game as if u could really die

But, the problem is, the main goal of DayZ is to survive the zombie apocalypse, and killing other people in case of DANGER, or to SURVIVE, not playing DayZ only for roaming the map looking for any players to KoS and not giving a shit about the whole zombie apocalypse, IT'S NOT A GODDAMN DEATHMATCH GAME.

Edited by Gdaddy22
  • Like 2

I'd say the primary reason for kos, is the extremely low risk, versus extremely high reward. You live, and the other player dies. You continue forward, and the other player is set back to zero. Especially when you see the other player before they see you, there is no reason whatsoever to let them live, even long enough to know you're there.

Coupled with this, the major reason the risk is so low is due to the instant death/unconsiousness.

If it took anything more than one bullet (or one spray of bullets) to kill a player, especially an unsuspecting one, people would consider the fact that they might die if that player gets a chance to attack in return.

TLDR: Instant death encourages/reinforces kos.

Maybe they could give people force fields or something. Or robot armor. 

But, the problem is, the main goal of DayZ is to survive the zombie apocalypse, and killing other people in case of DANGER, or to SURVIVE, not playing DayZ only for roaming the map looking for any players to KoS and not giving a shit about the whole zombie apocalypse, IT'S NOT A GODDAMN DEATHMATCH GAME.

Every person is always a danger. Killing anyone you meet and don't know is always the best survival strategy. 

People are much more dangerous than zombies, its why its so important to kill them all. 

Every person is always a danger. Killing anyone you meet and don't know is always the best survival strategy. 

People are much more dangerous than zombies, its why its so important to kill them all. 

What I'm saying is, you shouldn't focus on roaming the map and hunting for people and this is your only reason for playing DayZ, you should focus on the zombie apocalypse and surviving it, and then killing people to survive. This unfortunately can't work at this stage of alpha since there is no zombie apocalypse at all, it will get better later I believe

Edited by Gdaddy22

The only way I can interact with my environment is shooting things.

Oh gosh, I hope I'm never stuck in a room with you in real life lol.

Edited by Tara505

KOS will and should always be in the game but it is not the object of the game (well it is if you wish it to be we all play differently).

My only gripe with KOS is when everyone starts to do it gone is any chance of an interesting interaction hell get the jump on the guy you spot first postion yourself so you got the shot instantly if he/she goes you make contact tell them dont turn around ( if they do shoot) this does require watching them for a while to see if they have friends (which is exciting in its own right lol )

Now you have the chance to talk to them get a feel for what they are doing (they may lie to you but again thats an interesting interaction) and go from there.

This idea does not float in areas of high risk say balota most people go there to kill people or get an easy gun (most likely to kill people) in a location like that i usually shot first (although i have had some interesting tense stand offs there).

Im not even against the guys going to spawn towns and running wild killing bambi but how about once you have died from doing that your next character try something different he is a different person try another tactic you may find a play style you like more than blasting in the streets some un or poorly armed guy while screaming trash in direct at them.

I like to grab people and talk to them, of course I'm armed and I make sure I am in control of the situation. Depending wether I need blood or a partner decides wether I handcuff the dude and steal some blood or ask him to come along with us/me.

I never shoot someone for shits and gigs, if my friends in danger or if I am I do. If I see a guy with a gun I do or if there's someone at an airfield or army base I do, only because all these people have a potential of getting a gun.

I don't get why people are like MORE PLAYER INTERACTION OM NOM NOM

He gave you that with the handcuffs and the radios that are coming out.

Wait till there are more zombies. Than people will have to decide wether that person or the zombie is going to bite the bullet.

Edited by Flagella