Kenny Loggin

KOS Hysteria

My theory on why KOS mentality has run rampant in SA.

Almost every player I've run into, face-to-face, has tried to kill me. An approximate number would be 20-1.

I didn't play the mod all the way until the end but played close enough to it to know even late in the mod people weren't playing like this.

Every player I've comm'd with in SA all say the same thing: they've never played DayZ before.

I know vets would say that in the mod as a cover of deception, but I don't think this is the case here.

I'm old enough and played enough of the mod to know the difference. I believe them because of other things they say. They don't know anything about the game and its not an act. This is my experience.

I know the bandits here will probably disagree with me, but thats expected as they are bandits and see through that lense.

But lets say for a second that I'm on to something. Its not surprising to see a KOS mentality with new players as a lot of people play BF/COD/ETC. This game is unique and I would expect people that play those games regularly to not get it.

Solution?

I think its up to us seasoned vets to give unequipped players a break. I'm not saying that bandits shouldn't be bandits, do your thing. But the lot should consider taking a break on the new players. Maybe seasoned bandits should only kill threats, e.g. those with mosin/m4a1's. Just because your a bandit doesn't mean you have to be a murderous lunatic.

Whats happening is this: true bambi's are getting smoked by the boatload with zero gear.

I see dead, pantless bambi's strewn about the streets. I see youtube video's of groups mercilessly torturing bambi's.

Saw one video where all the bandits (in this case, preteens bandits) were laughing as they were debating what torture to use on captive bambi's. Like the trolls in The Hobbit (book). The bambi's sounded northern European and said they were new to the game. Once the deed was done there was a dark silence for a blip (shit got real), followed by gallows humor/laughter. I saw nothing fun or humorous.

Put yourself in their shoes. If you get smoked 10x trying to get geared up in your first experience with the game, your probably going to smoke everyone you see when you get geared up. Its an never ending cycle.

Edited by Kenny Loggin
  • Like 13

They've designed the game for the griefers.

"We'll stop KOS by adding handcuffs, rotten fruit, force feeding and the ability to take blood from other players."

So, do you try and be friendly with a high possibility to be left almost dead, or just kill everyone you see?

I've met a total of 2 players who didn't try to kill me, armed or not. Not counting launch day.

• Like 2

I found your take on the subject to be an amusing read, but it brings nothing new to the table. We can't tell people to play the game a certain way. It's going to be up to the devs to implement new features that encourage a more cooperative style of play if they don't like the current in-game climate. Until that time, don't feel too bad for the Bambis. We all have to lose our innocence at some point. ^_^

I don't recall ever not being shot at in the mod, everyone I ever came across would shoot on sight (not necessarily winning). I don't recall a single friendly (apart from those I knew/met outside of the game). In that respect SA is no different just we don't start with a pistol I have met more people in SA who haven't tried to kill me than I ever did in the mod.

Edited by Nanoha

I found your take on the subject to be an amusing read, but it brings nothing new to the table. We can't tell people to play the game a certain way. It's going to be up to the devs to implement new features that encourage a more cooperative style of play if they don't like the current in-game climate. Until that time, don't feel too bad for the Bambis. We all have to lose our innocence at some point. ^_^

The problem with encouraging a cooperative style of play is that most people already have someone to cooperate with (grief squads certainly do) so adding reasons to cooperate with others doesn't server to reduce KOS.

I am new to the game with no prior experience with the mod, so maybe I can offer some insight from an outsider's perspective.

In my short experience, I would say that 20-30% of people I come across will kill me on sight. While I consider that statistic high, I don't consider it high enough for me to kill everyone I see. As of now, I have only ever killed one person on sight, and I considered them to be a real threat. I walked into one of the buildings at an air strip and found a guy with an M4 drawn looting with his back turned to me. I was fairly sure I would die if he turned around and saw me so close so I blasted him.

Besides that one incident, I always attempt to talk to or avoid everyone I come across, depending on their proximity to me. I realize that KoS is probably a safe bet for any one person and if all I was interested in was keeping my own ass alive then that's what I would be doing. One thing holds me back though; wouldn't it get boring shooting everyone you see after a while? For every ornery asshole I come across, I also meet one good one. I usually offer supplies to anyone I come across and sometimes team up with random people to loot some of the more dangerous places like airfields.

To me, the prospect of potential partnership outweighs the risk of being shot on sight. I have been playing online games long enough to realize that some of the best times and friendships to be had are with random strangers at chance encounters. I feel sorry for those who make a habbit out of KoS because they will not have many of those experiences.

By the way, I am not against PvP in this game or any other. In fact, it's one of my favorite things. I just believe that there is a time and a place for it and I would hate for myself or anyone I come across to lose their hours of adventure just so some sociopath could sate their bloodlust for a few seconds. They make other games designed specifically for that.

• Like 3

I have run in to like maybe 15 people in the last 2 weeks or so, and I have never been shot at. Am I just extremely lucky to meet just nice guys, or are you guys bad at social interactions?..

I used to snipe at balota because a friend of mine said it was funny.

Got bored easily.

Today I went around and helped 3 guys with opened, 100% filled cans of food, water and medical supplies.

I even did a saline transfusion to an armed guy, that payed back with a LOADED revolver. He dropped it and told me not to pick it up till he told me to. He just went to a safe distance, waved and ran away.

Then I met the jerk that I first gave painkillers and then he shot me in the head.

• Like 7

I have run in to like maybe 15 people in the last 2 weeks or so, and I have never been shot at. Am I just extremely lucky to meet just nice guys, or are you guys bad at social interactions?..

Did they have guns? If those 15 didn't, hard to count those.

I think your on the lucky end and I'll elaborate.

80% of encounters I've had were during solo play.

Several players have run up to me with an axe/wrench/etc out of nowhere and swing for the fences. Another was a lone player, we approach guns down, ask how he is, fists go up---runs over and starts punching and I'm ko'd. I got shots off and got the kill but I didn't iniate.

Bolota control tower, guy comes from down the ladder says Hi the unloads his m4a1 in my chest. Running out of western apts, killed by what appeared to be an invisible player corner camping. Spawn into a supermarket, dead before I get in. Not sure why I was spawning in a supermarket, bad idea for sure.

Northern Cherno, I cross paths with two dfferent players on two different occassions and the both shoot at me missing every single shot (bums).

Running south of Pavlovo with a friend, we see two players runnning north on the road towards us---we cut left, they open fire. We survived.

Fuck 'em. I kill for the good of me and my group. Yesterday EVERYONE got reset and in 2 hours we were fully geared up again. On the process, I had an empty M4 and a loaded Magnum .357, we were on our way to a place with military gear, we found a guy, my friend told him to stop, he didn't, I don't like when things run away from me, I tend to chase them, so we told him that we were friendly and after a while he stopped;

-''Wussup guys''

I shot him in the head. His fault. Should have stopped when I asked him.

I only let a guy go once, because I handcuffed him, killed a newspawn in front of him, and said ''You enjoying this?'', and he responded really calmly about it, saying that he recently began playing and that was the only interesting thing that happened to him so far. My friend gave him a canteen and food, and I gave him directions, and told him to go north and to keep it quiet in cities.

The group I go with often don't like how I murder people and fully geared vets without even giving anyone a chance, but then again, why do we have to trade for example ammo for food? It's as easy as ''Okay, let's trade, I'll give you food'' and as soon as he picks it up and is about to give us ammo I just shoot him in the face and there 'ya go. We have both ammo and food for A LONG TIME.

Weird, I had a completely reversed impression between the mod and standalone, every random player I came across in the mod shot me without saying anything. Only one guy responded with VOIP but even he eventually placed a .50cal round into my face up close because I was obviously such a big threat and had so much high value loot in my coyote backpack. So far in standalone I haven't had to shoot anyone, managed to diffuse situations just by backing off, not aiming the gun at them and talking. One fella was even kind enough to show me where the waterpump was in town (though he was unarmed and I had a gun pointed at him at first, just made sure he didn't do any sudden movements).

Actually I tell a lie, I have shot someone. Heard gunshots near eastern coast, I went down the hillside a bit and what else do I see but three fellas with guns running around shooting at a bunch of players some of which have no pants and none of them have any weapons. Missed at first but placed the second Mosin shot into one of the bandits, made sure he stayed down with a third shot. Couldn't do anything about the other two because server restarted right after that. Gotta do something to keep the rampant savagery in line.

• Like 2

I think I might have a viable solution. 

In an apocalypse, obviously survival is key, but it seems that most games focus on your physical survival.  i.e. eating, drinking, sickness, etc..  But what if DayZ were to have a psychological standpoint on your survival? Obviously coming from a society in which killing other humans is not acceptable, highly frowned upon, and completely against our moral code.  So what kind of impact would killing other humans have on you?  Maybe this is something that could be incorporated into the game somehow.  

I'm not giving anything specific because I just thought of this, but maybe we should try to come up with some ideas for this.  I mean, if I was in this situation, and killed a defenseless person, I would feel terrible, so might other people.  Maybe it really affects you, even more so given that you are hungry and (or) thirsty, and have been running from zombies trying to kill you relentlessly all day. Maybe this causes some sort of mental illness, such as depression.  I'm not really sure how this would affect you in game, but it's still a possibility, and if the threat of your character becoming depressed could deter someone from KoS then maybe it's something worth thinking about.

• Like 4

Things to do in Sweet-Alpha.

1. Gear Up.

2. Kill Players.

2. Kill Players.

2. Kill Players.

2. Kill Players.

2. Kill Players.

2. Kill Players.

2. Kill Players.

The zombie plague is a very specific genera of horror story. And 'keeping it together' is a very real part of any good horror story.

I strongly suggest "Herbert West - Reanimator" By H. P. Lovecraft as a great incite into the living dead and how it can screw with your sanity.

My question is: Since KOS is a very real and traumatically tense situation ingame, shouldn't there be a real ingame consequence to KOSing every player you see?

I can picture this manifesting as nervous twitches, hearing things, seeing things or even a permanent hand-shaking to all aiming attempts. Ooo! And talking to yourself like a man person. Fun, fun! :D 

• Like 3

Fuck 'em. I kill for the good of me and my group. Yesterday EVERYONE got reset and in 2 hours we were fully geared up again. On the process, I had an empty M4 and a loaded Magnum .357, we were on our way to a place with military gear, we found a guy, my friend told him to stop, he didn't, I don't like when things run away from me, I tend to chase them, so we told him that we were friendly and after a while he stopped;

-''Wussup guys''

I shot him in the head. His fault. Should have stopped when I asked him.

I only let a guy go once, because I handcuffed him, killed a newspawn in front of him, and said ''You enjoying this?'', and he responded really calmly about it, saying that he recently began playing and that was the only interesting thing that happened to him so far. My friend gave him a canteen and food, and I gave him directions, and told him to go north and to keep it quiet in cities.

The group I go with often don't like how I murder people and fully geared vets without even giving anyone a chance, but then again, why do we have to trade for example ammo for food? It's as easy as ''Okay, let's trade, I'll give you food'' and as soon as he picks it up and is about to give us ammo I just shoot him in the face and there 'ya go. We have both ammo and food for A LONG TIME.

So basically you're nothing more than a lying piece of shit. You know, you sociopaths are creating this mistrust when you shout friendly but deliberately are lying and the same goes with supplies exchange but you are probably too full of yourself to even comprehend this.

Fuck you 

• Like 10

I think I might have a viable solution. 

In an apocalypse, obviously survival is key, but it seems that most games focus on your physical survival.  i.e. eating, drinking, sickness, etc..  But what if DayZ were to have a psychological standpoint on your survival? Obviously coming from a society in which killing other humans is not acceptable, highly frowned upon, and completely against our moral code.  So what kind of impact would killing other humans have on you?  Maybe this is something that could be incorporated into the game somehow.  

I'm not giving anything specific because I just thought of this, but maybe we should try to come up with some ideas for this.  I mean, if I was in this situation, and killed a defenseless person, I would feel terrible, so might other people.  Maybe it really affects you, even more so given that you are hungry and (or) thirsty, and have been running from zombies trying to kill you relentlessly all day. Maybe this causes some sort of mental illness, such as depression.  I'm not really sure how this would affect you in game, but it's still a possibility, and if the threat of your character becoming depressed could deter someone from KoS then maybe it's something worth thinking about.

No, its been argued already. Just drop it. Do a search for ht e multitude of post concerning the subject if you want to debate it.

The zombie plague is a very specific genera of horror story. And 'keeping it together' is a very real part of any good horror story.

I strongly suggest "Herbert West - Reanimator" By H. P. Lovecraft as a great incite into the living dead and how it can screw with your sanity.

My question is: Since KOS is a very real and traumatically tense situation ingame, shouldn't there be a real ingame consequence to KOSing every player you see?

I can picture this manifesting as nervous twitches, hearing things, seeing things or even a permanent hand-shaking to all aiming attempts. Ooo! And talking to yourself like a man person. Fun, fun! :D

Same goes for you. Just no.

I used to snipe at balota because a friend of mine said it was funny.

Got bored easily.

Today I went around and helped 3 guys with opened, 100% filled cans of food, water and medical supplies.

I even did a saline transfusion to an armed guy, that payed back with a LOADED revolver. He dropped it and told me not to pick it up till he told me to. He just went to a safe distance, waved and ran away.

Then I met the jerk that I first gave painkillers and then he shot me in the head.

Feel sorry for you bro, but that's so ironic!! :D

So basically you're nothing more than a lying piece of shit. You know, you sociopaths are creating this mistrust when you shout friendly but deliberately are lying and the same goes with supplies exchange but you are probably too full of yourself to even comprehend this.

Fuck you 

Cry some more..I'm immersed in the game..it's the zombie apocalypse..who knows if that group we're trading supplies with will kill us in the process or after. The newspawns are not to be trusted, 9 out of 10 of them doesn't want our help, they want our gear.

After getting geared up on the north we went back south, where the newspawns obviously are, guess what? If they weren't killing eachother, they were trying to sneak on us and kill us. They didn't make it.

I've been a newspawn, my character got reset or killed by invisible zombies with end-game gear lots of times. I know what to do to get my stuff back without hacking. I'm friendly when I need to be. If someone points a gun at me and tells me to stop, I won't run around like a decapitated chicken like the majority of those shits do.

My attitude in this game brings me nothing but victory and personal in-game benefit for me AND for my group.

Edited by skin_head_army

In regards to the topic of whether or not there should be consequences to cold-blooded-murdering, I can understand both sides. However, I see many people making the argument "this is a survival simulator, people shouldn't be penalized for yada yada yada...". I don't consider this a valid argument because in a true post-apacolypse scenario, you likely wouldn't be going around murdering everyone you see, not if you wanted to live for long. People would band together to hunt YOU down.

That being said, how would you implement repercussions in a way that would distinguish between killing indiscriminately and killing in self defense? Possibly some sort of bounty system as an incentive for other players to track you down if certain requirements are met (such as killing x amount of players in a certain period of time, labeling you a bandit/murderer). It is also difficult to track down who is actually doing the murdering considering there are no names above players heads as in other games and no death messages such as "You were killed by Player12345".

It seems that for the time being people can play this game like it's COD with minimal interaction with other players. As I mentioned before, this playstyle sort of defeats the purpose of the game and I don't quite understand why anyone would want to ruin another player's experience just to satisfy themselves for a few seconds. If that's what you want, you can find it elsewhere and you don't have to spend hours gearing before deciding to murder other players indiscriminately.

• Like 3

Every player I've seen hasn't tried to kill me (I have a gun every time) but only a few times I've been shot but didn't see the person who did it, aka sniped.

I'm Australian and I'm not trying to say that Aussies are the nicest people out but so far I've been fine with running into people. Some people run away when i tell them to get on the floor but I only ask people that to see if they're friendly or not and 9/10 people are.

When I see these threads I kind of see peoples points but let's remember here:

The game is new (people are still getting their first guns and wanting to go spaz with them)

The game gives you lots of freedom to play how you want (bandit, hero, nob etc.)

People don't pay money to be told to use the product a certain way to make others happy (people payed money not to be bossed around by whiners)

Sometimes noobs deserve to be shot, I mean just cause they don't have a gun and they're running around the airfield doesn't mean they can get one.

And please the next person trying to say in an apocalypse people wouldn't start going crazy an shooting everyone. How are we meant to know.

I personally think the problem will be solved once there are loads more zombies, that should force players to either not be retards and not waste ammo on people.

Edited by Flagella
  • Like 2

From what I hear (stories of friends) and see (own experience) stuff seems somewhat civil. More or less. Maybe that's because I roll with a certain group, too. And there's still a lot of death out there.

But guys should realize that you don't always SHOULD do the things you CAN do. You can, but action-reaction. It's still a game. Often, if one wins another loses. You might have some shits n' giggles briefly but could seriously ruin the day of another person. You can. But don't have to. At least, no one, game or otherwise, forces you to do certain things.

Anyway, most of the interesting stuff happens when there's more social interaction than bullets flying left and right. The mix makes the fun, imo. And guys, all the funny (minus pure PVP) videos you see and probably love about DayZ wouldn't be possible if all were to KOS with no exceptions. I like a healthy balance.

I guess verbal / written communication is the first key to less KOS (hence, kill on sight. Not saying less PVP) and more interaction.

• Like 1

No, its been argued already. Just drop it. Do a search for ht e multitude of post concerning the subject if you want to debate it.

Same goes for you. Just no.

What's been argued about it? I did a search and no reasonable arguments came up, just ramblings about CoD kids who want their way and just say no... If you're going to tell me no then back it up.

im not even a bandit and i can understand why they KOS; because theres barely anything to do in the alpha. if you dont like it, stay off unll they roll new features. the game will still be here...

im not even a bandit and i can understand why they KOS; because theres barely anything to do in the alpha. if you dont like it, stay off unll they roll new features. the game will still be here...

They aren't going to magically disappear. They've gotten accustomed to coastal war now. New features will only make them have more KoS fun

Well if getting shot in the face without so much as a word or a gesture is a social interaction, maybe you are onto something...