smoq2

Randomizing spawn locations? Why not?

My question is, why not make spawning completely random all over the map? Why do we all have to spawn at the cost?

I think that because we all spawn at the coast it encourages some people to just go and kill fresh spawns for fun. It also forces the future loot distribution to have a specific tendency, going from low near the cost, to high-end the more we go inland.

If we had completely random spawns, loot could be random all over the map, as everyone will have even chances.

True, some would would argue that if you would spawn near a military base, it might be unfair, as you get an easy start. But then again, next time you could spawn in deep woods, so it is only as unfair, as the world itself.

Edited by retro19
  • Like 1

It won't be an issue once loot spawning isn't dependent on server restarts.

Patience.

how you imagine that ? ...so if you spawn far away on the north: no cities and food around, what you will do, lol ?

Why not? Look at how many people commit suicide if they dont like their spawn location. That's why not.

When people commit SUICIDE in a SURVIVAL game... something's wrong...

• Like 7

absolutely agree

• Like 1

Top kek.

But I can see OPs point. It is valid, in its own way. Maybe not totally, across-the-map random spawn points. Instead, primarily coastal spawn points with one or two deviations could help. Or perhaps the shuffling of said coastal spawn points closer to even small shanty towns with a guaranteed pack of beans and a general store?

I can imagine, that people can't kill himself by jumping down from somewhere, only to break his legs. And because Zeds as luck would not eat them, then only the saving shot can exempt them from a creeping life. And this they need to beg. That can add to DayZ even more atmosphere..

I think that because we all spawn at the coast it encourages some people to just go and kill fresh spawns for fun.

So? That's the reason people spawn on the coast. They're supposed to be easy to find. This makes the coast a scary, dangerous and volatile and it quickly teaches beachsprouts that step #1 in any long survival story is always the same: successfully get your ass off the coast.

People need to understand that most games start off nice and easy and hold people's hand in the "first level" to teach them how to play the game. DayZ is the opposite. The hardest day in any survival story is Day #1. It's supposed to be that way. It's meant to turn the model on its head. The game starts off brutal, lonely, scary and dangerous so people go "Holy shit!" and get their asses kicked a few times (maybe a few dozen if they're slow learners).

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 2

Screw this ... bad enough we have to worry about server hoppers and ghosters spawning in behind you at any time, no way I would want to have to worry about a new spawn popping in possibly around me at any moment.

• Like 1

Alright. Let's evaluate your suggestion.

People who are spawning can spawn anywhere in the northern cities of Chernarus.

A.) Normal people with gear shoot on sight up north, so that wouldn't prevent KoS.

B.) A fresh spawn runs straight to a military base finds a gun and kills someone who has been looting up north for hours on edge. So that promotes frustration and unhappiness that could make people complain.

But when people come to the shore to kill fresh spawns, they gamble their loot. A fresh spawn could grab an axe and kill the "Bambi-Killer" and then they're set for loot.

Also there isn't a lot of reason for people to kill themselves now-a-days, there is loot everywhere even at Krutoy Cap!

So, this feature would not do ANYTHING in the way of killing fresh spawns.

It would also spoil the story of the fact that fresh spawns were once washed along shore and have to do everything they need to do to survive.

I think that because we all spawn at the coast it encourages some people to just go and kill fresh spawns for fun.

Some have fun... Some save fresh spawns for fun.

It is part of the game that it is important where you are. Anonymous places is one of the last things this game needs.

Edited by NoCheats

It would also spoil the story of the fact that fresh spawns were once washed along shore and have to do everything they need to do to survive.

Sorry but that background story is trash. Almost a month into the game and people keep being washed along the shores of Chernarus ?

What is it ? Groundhog Day ?

• Like 1

The hardest day in any survival story is Day #1. It's supposed to be that way. It's meant to turn the model on its head. The game starts off brutal, lonely, scary and dangerous so people go "Holy shit!" and get their asses kicked a few times (maybe a few dozen if they're slow learners).

Yeah... and that's why most veteran players run like hell to Balota (or the nearest fire station) on respawn, never mind the zeds or the bandits waiting for them.

After all they have the proverbial 'nothing to lose' mindset. If they're killed, they'll respawn minutes later...

Day #1 in DayZ is a JOKE. People should be scared. They're not. Fail.

Edited by Fabik

Suicides..

Screw this ... bad enough we have to worry about server hoppers and ghosters spawning in behind you at any time, no way I would want to have to worry about a new spawn popping in possibly around me at any moment.

Those are reasons why not.

People will just commit mass suicides to get close spawn where they were killed to get revenge kill with their bambi sprint and fists.

I saw it with 'choose your spawn location option' and it was horrible.

People will just commit mass suicides to get close spawn where they were killed to get revenge kill with their bambi sprint and fists.

Sure. Say you have about 30 different spawn locations all over the map (in forests primarily i guess, it's not about spawning in barracks or AC towers).

I don't like the odds of getting a spawn location that will allow me to MAYBE have revenge.

Killer will be long gone by the time I make it back...

Sure. Say you have about 30 different spawn locations all over the map (in forests primarily i guess, it's not about spawning in barracks or AC towers).

I don't like the odds of getting a spawn location that will allow me to MAYBE have revenge.

Killer will be long gone by the time I make it back...

And people will still commit suicides if they don't get spawn near military loot zone.

And basically getting far north/west will be no achivement or anything since every suicidal bambi can just spawn there.

Edited by Frosti

Why not? Look at how many people commit suicide if they dont like their spawn location. That's why not.

Make it daam near impossible to commit suicide then.

Players need to be forced to explore the map if they don't like their spawn tough learn to adapt.

coastal spawns are the worst thing in the game aside from TPV.

Make it daam near impossible to commit suicide then.

Players need to be forced to explore the map if they don't like their spawn tough learn to adapt.

coastal spawns are the worst thing in the game aside from TPV.

I was a little south from Solnichniy where I saw group of 4 bambies trying (without successs) to commit suicide by jumping from small molo bridge.

When they spotted me they run up to me and were crying and begging me to kill them.

So you will get bambies screaming in direct chat "PLEASE SOMEONE KILL ME!"  every time they get spawn location they don't like.

You will have to remove fists from bambies so they can't help each other commit suicide. But then you will get group of bambies begging bambi with an axe to kill them so they can spawn in other location...

If loot was more randomized (i.e. you could find an M4 in a residence) then random spawns locations would work. This would also help to make people actually fucking explore the map and not congregate into 3 locations. Just make sure higher grade stuff has a very low chance of spawning most everywhere with very slightly increased chances in their respective "homes."

I'm sure lots of people would have a problem with this too cause "it isn't teh realishtick" but neither is having dozens of people just kill themselves so those very same people can teleport to a different location. A new spawn that has no wish to do anything other than suicide is not a survivor.

I was a little south from Solnichniy where I saw group of 4 bambies trying (without successs) to commit suicide by jumping from small molo bridge.

When they spotted me they run up to me and were crying and begging me to kill them.

So you will get bambies screaming in direct chat "PLEASE SOMEONE KILL ME!"  every time they get spawn location they don't like.

You will have to remove fists from bambies so they can't help each other commit suicide. But then you will get group of bambies begging bambi with an axe to kill them so they can spawn in other location...

well with random spawn locations bambis will struggle to find another player at first and more importantly they will struggle to commit suicide.

well with random spawn locations bambis will struggle to find another player at first and more importantly they will struggle to commit suicide.

That is why they will scream over mic in hope that someone will hear them and kill them.

There is a solution to suicides and spawning behind players.

1. "Time block" - The player has to play for X hours before he will spawn in a new location, otherwise he'll keep spawning in the same place.

2. Add spawn locations on the outskirts of cities and towns. There's enough places to spawn in order not to worry about spawn-camping.

Anyway, I do see all of your concerns as valid and I didn't see it that way. However I believe there is still room for improvement in the case of spawning.

spawn-camping.

I still see spawn camping this, spawn camping that, yet I haven't been spawn camped even once.

Conclusion, spawn camping is not game design fault but people who get spawn camped just sux.

Learn to play issue.