Sign in to follow this  
alfagamma81

Some kind of food/thirst level indicators should be high priority

Since many people are confused about messages popping up every minute about how bad your stomach or some other organ is feeling. That makes them think that this game has unrealistic demands on drinking and eating.

I myself didnt understand it when i started playing SA and happened to find information after some googling, i was still living the mod and thought that drinking that one soda can is enough to get you full when it's not.

So make those indicators happen soon so people can see exactly how much they "gain hydration" when they take that one sip from a well or gulp this soda can or eat them damn beans   :)

Game balance wise, what's the point in having food/thirst requirements if one can of soda and one can of beans gets you through the day? It's fine as it is. I'd like some kind of "You're slightly hungry, you're hungry, you're very hungry, you're starving" sequential messages.

• Like 2

Before I watched that detailed explanation of how you stomach and body works, I just got annoyed about all those repeating warnings and decided to eat/drink more to stay ahead of my hunger/thirst and soon after I realized that eating a full meal, instead of just taking a bite, worked really well.

There's nothing that prevents players from thinking for themselves.

That's how you learn.

That's how you survive.

• Like 1

I all ways seem to need a drink 5 minutes into the game then no matter how many things I drink I am thirsty till the day I die

(that being said I am really bad at finding water)

Edited by meat pie

Game balance wise, what's the point in having food/thirst requirements if one can of soda and one can of beans gets you through the day? It's fine as it is. I'd like some kind of "You're slightly hungry, you're hungry, you're very hungry, you're starving" sequential messages.

Hey i didnt say one can should make you full did i? 

Agree what you saying there but still personally would prefer graphical presentation over text.

I consume an unrealistic amount of food to stay not hungry, and nobody should be on the verge of starving hours after they eat several cans of beans and pasta. Thirst seems a little less realistic on the other hand for as much running as I do, but then again I drink my fill every time I come to a pump. 

Before I watched that detailed explanation of how you stomach and body works, I just got annoyed about all those repeating warnings and decided to eat/drink more to stay ahead of my hunger/thirst and soon after I realized that eating a full meal, instead of just taking a bite, worked really well.

There's nothing that prevents players from thinking for themselves.

That's how you learn.

That's how you survive.

Slightly patronizing tone you have there.

Yes keep everything hidden and make players read through countless of wiki pages, thats the way to gaming success.

I did see something about them wanting to improve the UI indicators in regards to your characters state of health etc...see if I can find the post.

I all ways seem to need a drink 5 minutes into the game then no matter how many things I drink I am thirsty till the day I die

(that being said I am really bad at finding water)

Once you reach a state of being able to fill your stomach with food and water/liquid, you'll be able to go great lengths of time without the need of replenishment. That being said, If I find a soda even without being thirsty (after having been filled up prior to my journey) I'll just drink it. This means I can be very hands off for the majority of the time I play the game. It also means should I enter a situation where I need to suddenly escape, I can survive out in the middle of no-where for a good amount of time.

But once you get yourself full, after eating and drinking enough to get the "I feel full" prompts, just light management is needed for a mostly carefree experience there-after. When people complain about needing to constantly eat and drink, it is because they are barely just covering their critical need for water/food.

The thirst and hunger indicators are supposedly triggered when you reach a state of like 20-30%. Meaning even if you drink/eat to make those indicators disappear, you'll still be a hell of a long ways away from 100% thirst/hunger (aka no thirst, no hunger).

I tend to eat like 2 cans of food then drink from a well until I'm full and then basically I am good to go after that. It takes a lot of water-well-spamming to get yourself full after eating a can or two. Just keep going until you get the prompt.

• Like 1

Also, when you are full fed and hydrated, you get the "healing" or "healthy" status and from that point, you basically don't need any medical supplies because you regen so fast.

I tend to eat like 2 cans of food then drink from a well until I'm full and then basically I am good to go after that. It takes a lot of water-well-spamming to get yourself full after eating a can or two. Just keep going until you get the prompt.

And that's another thing needing attention. You would assume that person dying of thirst would fill him/herself full with one click from unlimited water source, but that's not the case atm.

IMO, filling myself up leaves me with jack shit to do as a non-KOS player. Run around trying to find other players for hours is getting old fast. I like the fact that being hungry more often drives people into "survival" mode, doing survival things rather than hunt-players mode.

Edited by Thane