foamninja

So Restraining . . . not helping

So after some time I have been restrained over a good 30+ times. All as an experiment to see if REAL banditry was making its headway. And it's now time to throw my pennies out to the world on this system. It's a total bullshit waste of time in my opinion. Everytime I was handcuffed/restrained I was robbed yes however after the robbery was done I was just . . . killed. That's it, I died no matter what. I was told I was getting robbed and after they took my clothing and everything I had they would run off. Just to return 10 seconds later to spew a "Hahaha you're such a faggot" and shoot me. Really? I now KNOW I have nothing more you want, I now KNOW I have to start again, and I now KNOW this is the bullshit, more often than not, that will be DayZ. Understanding it's in Alpha stages, and people need their kicks. I know there are people out there that restrain and leave the person be. However in my travels I have yet to run across you and others have given an extremely bad name to you REAL bandits so far for SA. I'm not bitching about KoS, I could honestly ask for that over a REAL un-reasonable killing of a player that LITERALLY has no value to you anymore, or no threat towards you. So I ask you all, what do you think about the restraining system? And before someone get on and says stop bitching? Welcome to the Discussion Forum! Where we discuss things.

• Like 1

I have yet to be restrained but I wholeheartedly agree the community I've experienced so far is largely comprised of immature 14-yr olds that KoS and handcuff everyone with 0 consideration for helping others. Guess it's part of what this alpha is all about and I hope to increase the incentive to play it cool is part of devs' plan. 

I'm not impressed by what most players bring to the game and if I can avoid interaction with others for now, I will.

Killing a restrained guy (unless it's a bandit) is immature idiocy and I seriously hope some kind of karma system finds its way into the game so as to put these idiots in their correct place. 

I have only detained 1 person (successfully) and I let him go, myself and a friend ran into him in the Balota camp inside a tent. We cuffed him, robbed him, cut him lose and let him go.. It was for the better, he had a bunch of stuff for the M4 and had no M4, myself and my friend had 2 new M4's and not much stuff for them.. We left him a lot of his food and other supplies. We were only interested in weapons and ammo at the time.

BTW, handcuff keys are glitched. After you handcuff someone and then unlock the cuffs, the cuffs return to your inventory while the keys are forever destroyed by the server.

This could be a good reason why people are restraining and then leaving people or killing them. Also, handcuff keys are much more rare than handcuffs.. so You probably have a bunch of guys running around with 5 or 6 sets of cuff and no keys for them.

Edited by BLFonsworth

Our group holds people up for their blood, we leave them with a can of food and a pop.

Gosh, i love the restraining system! Handcuffing them then playing sad music over chat.. And as soon as the music stops. 1 bullet it to the head :3

Well, look at this way.

If you´re getting killed, you would´ve been dead with or without restrains in game.

But every time you´re not killed after being restrained, you would´ve likely been dead if they weren´t in game.

• Like 1

lol , leave server then :D

Yes, because the OP and said bandits only play on the one server. 

Otherwise I hope you're not advocating combat logging.

Edit: I would say currently bandits only used handcuffs because your body would disappear after you respawned. Since this is now fixed maybe they'll just shoot you instead. 

Edited by Shaun of the Dead

Why would anyone let themselves be robbed? If your life is only as valuable as your gear than once you lost your gear they might as well have shot you. I cant wait till other mechanics make your life worth more. 

Until then, why comply with those bastards. Go down fighting!

• Like 1

As VictorM said, your life is only as valuable as your gear. Surrender and you definitely lose anything of worth, run/fight and you have a chance to lose stuff of worth (or just combat log, get people moaning so it gets fixed sooner...). If I had a choice between guaranteed losing my stuff to someone else or a chance at surviving I would take the latter and if I did die then all my stuff is wrecked for them anyway.

Never ever let yourself be restrained. In life it's slightly different but once restrained people can do anything to you...

Edited by Nanoha

Why would anyone let themselves be robbed? If your life is only as valuable as your gear than once you lost your gear they might as well have shot you. I cant wait till other mechanics make your life worth more. 

Until then, why comply with those bastards. Go down fighting!

I actually value my characters life more than my gear, it's stupidly easy to get geared up again anyway.

Some of us actually like to play as though our life is more important than just our gear.. Some of us enjoy being able to say "I survived through this.." or "This character has been alive X many days."

• Like 2

Why would anyone let themselves be robbed?

You and Nanoha apparently didn't read past the first word. I said this was an experiment . . .

My group and I restrained a guy at balota (town not AF). He was armed with an axe and he had a pistol without ammo. We took 1 blood bag from him and we gave him food, water and a FULLY LOADED MAGAZINE for his pistol. we left him restrained but overlooking with the scoped mosin to see nothing bad happened to him while he was getting rid of his handcuffs. We left after that

• Like 2

Me and few buddies are trying to setup bandit group to perform non lethal robberies (so handcuffs, taking their pants and leave them).

Every time we try to do this, we have problems to be so mean, so we just chat to the poor dude and leave (except if we are getting shot at first).

Once I gave a fresh spawn FNX with magazine and additional 40+ bullets, since I just found magnum revolver.

Now I guestion myself, if I had created a monster....then again he was really happy, he wiggled for us and wished us happy new year.

That made me feel good.

btw we need friendly players and bandits as well. I just hope bandits will not be much bigger part of player base.

When they put the cuffs in their hand, take out your weapon and say hello.

I think the restraining is fine at the moment. Even if the 'nice' bandits that let you go are few and far between, they're out there. I have restrained someone, taken their blood and a much needed pristine can opener, then left them a can of tuna and a soda and released him to go on his way with my newly filled blood bag.

To contest, I usually hold up a person simply to buy time for me to leave the area,  I don't want any of your gear, I don't want to kill you I just want to know your going to leave me the fuck alone..

Process:

Get in a pickle

Have advantage

hold individual up

have him drop all gear/ maybe just weapon

have him walk away from gear

>>>IF I have cuffs and IF he seems to be an asshole I will cuff him and explain how to escape said cuffs

tell him in 2 minutes he can return to gear and be on his way

retreat and bugout of the current location to one where I can see his gear

head in opposite direction he goes in looking for me or running from me...

effectively avoid said asshole/survivor while not being an asshole myself

WORKS 75% of the time key part is having advantage and keeping it, say it works best with 3 people one can whatch him afar 2 up in his face to show you hold clear advantage and mean buisness.

Failures account for

-Unknown teammates and general lack of situational awarness by me

-language barrier

-failure to comply by subject