Sign in to follow this  
wse_jack

Very poor performance on GTX780 SLI amd8350

Not sure whats going on, seems like a lot of people can run this fine, but I have 2 gtx 780s slied together, and an AMD 8350, as well as 16 gigs of ram and I run the game on an SSD, for whatever reason, I cant get more than 25 fps if im looking inland, regardless of if Im inside a house or whatnot.

I mean its unplayable, Even ARMA 3 which runs pretty bad runs infinantly smoother than this. 

The odd thing is turning my video settings down dosent seem to have any effect, Ive tried all the settings...

Is there some sort of glitch or command I need to deal with on this? I know the game is just in alpha, but they said that about arma 3 and the performance never got better.

Define "fine"?

This game runs abysmal for me anywhere near "cities/towns"...

Really kinda upsetting for me, since I was really pumped to try this game. And yes I know it's very early Alpha, so I'm really hoping stuff can be improved.

But I figured my rig would be fine too...

I had just gotten finished with a Witcher 2 playthrough from the Steam Sale... I played that game on basically Max settings never dipping below 60fps. And yes I know this game is more CPU intensive, which again I figured I would be more than fine, obviously not.

If I get anywhere near a city in this game I'm in the 20-30fps range... Which actually gives me a pretty bad headache :( Probably why I've avoided console games since N64.

Edited by PabloFajita

I havent, suppose i could give it a try lol

This is actualy the first time Ive ever had 2 cards before, all in all, not impressed, allmost no performance boost on anything

If I get anywhere near a city in this game I'm in the 20-30s... Which actually gives me a pretty bad headache :(

exactly man, and witcher 2 is probably the most visualy taxing game out there... you know, on my gtx 560 and 9800 gt, I couldent run arma 2 for sh-- either, something in this engine dosent like me, funny thing is, when i had my 9800, I had a totaly different computer than when i got my 560, only i got an amd 8120 on that computer, and now this one, also with a new mobo, has an amd 8350 and a gtx 780... something is amis...

I can play arma 3 cause of all the control smoothing they did, but this one suffers from arma2's epic mouse lag alllll  the way, (not talking about the deadzone... which while poorly done compared to games like insurgency (mod), I actualy like all in all... Im talking about frame rate based mouse lag, ie only when it dips below 40...)

Edited by Guest

Funny thing I've noticed while running Precision overlay in this game like I do with every game...

Out in the wilderness around trees and generally away from big towns, this game will start to use a decent amount of GPU load. For example my EVGA 670FTW  tops off around 40-55% in this game.

Yet the moment you get near a city/town or buildings that GPU load drops to like 20-30%... Turn the camera away from that town/city, the GPU starts to get some load put back on it.

Edited by PabloFajita

Running a single 780gtx and I get 50-60 FPS while running on 1.5 3d resolution.

what are your other specs just curious

780 gtx

16 gigs ram

no ssd

i4770k

no post processing

no ambient occlusion

oop should have been an edit

Edited by Imbalanxd

The thing is, this game isn't optimized so it doesn't run well for anyone, really. People with 550:s telling you it's running fine for them just means they have a different idea of what "fine" is. Chances are, if you have SLI 780GTX, your idea of "fine" is true smoothness and probably never dipping below 60.

I have a 680 and a 3770 and I think the game runs so bad it's almost unplayable (in towns).

I did the inspetor thing and while its only using like 40 percent of my card, (both once i forced it), i still get 28fps average when looking anywhere inland

I suppose, but the mouse lag makes nothing fine, I guess what kills me is that ARMA 3 was in alpha and they said they were gonna optimize it, and it never got done.

Edited by wse_jack

I suppose, but the mouse lag makes nothing fine, I guess what kills me is that ARMA 3 was in alpha and they said they were gonna optimize it, and it never got done.

Ya that kinda scares me at the moment... Since I generally avoid Early Access games, but made an exception with this one.

I'm fine with all the Alpha issues it's the nature of the beast, but I hope those issues STAY in Alpha/Beta, and are resolved by "Release".

Specifically talking about the horrible optimization we have atm...

I narrowed what was eating it, I found the ONLY things that had any change in my FPS was OBJECTS and TERRAIN...

lowering them increased it notably... aa aafx, pp, ao, filtering of anykind, had no change whatsoever....

Hey zed, in a town, on average what FPS do you get with your 780?

EDIT

Scratch that, I get the same FPS I loaded up a server and found that out, It only seemed to improve it in the loading screen.

Edited by wse_jack

I run a SLI setup with 2x GTX780 from Asus.

Performance of my rig varies per server, but is usually around 30 fps in Cherno and between 70 - 140 fps in small towns or the rural area.

The biggest performance increase I noticed is by disabling clouds, additionally running shadows at low or disabled, then disabling MSAA, FXAA & postprocessing.

I would expect to get a smoother experience, especially in cities, but have also read that the Arma engine is CPU bound rather than GPU bound. The game apparently assumes your GPU power is limited and uses the CPU in certain aspects. There are some posts on reddit and probably on this forum as well to bypass certain limitations to the engine.

I haven't really felt the need yet cause the 30 fps is obviously crap and way too low, but doesn't feel too choppy imo.

Edited by DaniWesNL

The game doesn't let you use enough CPU power for the objects and that's why your GPU isn't used much because CPU usage doesn't rise when the power is needed.