Darkshader

Killed by a Bug, No more playing for me.

So I've been playing now for a while and been having an amazing time. Died several times at the beginning till I got the hang of it, but I finally managed to go a very long time without dying and had accumulated some great equipment, mostly in prestine shape, good guns, camo, food, and was in great health. Really starting to enjoy myself and looking for action.

Today I logged in and after several hours exploring a remote town for the elusive can-opener, I decided to climb on the top of a big industrial building to get a view of the area for sign of any potential hostiles.

After seeing all there was to see I carefully approached the ladder that led back down. Knowing the danger of falls, I carefully waited for the "use" icon to show on the ladder and pressed it. My screen immedietely showed me rapidly plummeting to the ground and then instantly snapped back up to a brief image of my character on the ladder at the top but the screen went black and said "You are dead."

So I'm dead now, and I fucking didn't do anything other than be victim to a really stupid bug. And considering the perma-death nature of this game, I don't think I'm interested in playing DayZ any more, maybe months from now or a year. But I put some seriously hard action packed, sneaking, and house pillaging man hours into this character... And was very proud of it. VERY PROUD.

Had I died to stupidity, or another players cleverness. That would be ok by me, that's the point afterall.

But to die "correctly" using a ladder.... And to have to start back over from scratch because of it.

That sir, is the end for me, for now.

Best wishes to everyone else. I'll keep my eye on the updates, but won't be returning till that type of thing doesn't happen.

:(

• Like 1

TLDR;

Welcome to the alpha, make sure you submit your bug to further development of this game! After that, get back out there and find another!

• Like 18

So you slipped climbing down a ladder, fell, and broke your neck thus killing you. This never happens to anyone ever.

Just kidding. :P

But seriously, its an alpha. There will be huge bugs. There will be character wipes. Things will change massively without any warning. Just report the bugs and help the devs out.

This is Dayz. Never get attached to your loot, but always be proud of how long you survived (or didn't depending).

Take a break for a few days and give it another go man. Every play session in Dayz is different.

• Like 4

Yeah, to be honest mate what were you thinking when you bought an alpha for a game... it even tells you every time that you open the damn thing up that it is an alpha and that bugs are to be expected, Rocket also said (I'm going to paraphrase) "If you don't want to be part of an alpha test where there will be bugs then do not buy this game yet".

• Like 1

Well, at least you died from something. Twice I have died from simply just moving around. No gunshots, no people nearby... just death.

Another time I log in and I am immediately dead. There is no way someone even saw me because I was pretty much smashed into a cluster of trees and weeds. (I don't log out in unsafe places)

• Like 1

Congratulations, you precious princess.

You think you're the only one who's died victim to bugs? Of course not. I can't even count on one hand the amount of times a similar things have happened to me like this, yet I simply re-spawn and start again.

Suck it up. There was no need to make a thread about this. What more do you want, you're warned every time you launch the game...

I don't understand posts like this. It has to be a troll it really has to. You click "Understand" on a big red message everytime you play this game stating you understand it's an alpha with bugs that will mess up your gameplay. You are either trolling or an idiot of epic proportions.

• Like 1

So a bug caused you to stop playing an alpha where the idea is to test for said bugs.

Definitely refrain from participating in early access in the future if you can't handle bugs in the proper manner.

• Like 4

I don't understand posts like this. It has to be a troll it really has to. You click "Understand" on a big red message everytime you play this game stating you understand it's an alpha with bugs that will mess up your gameplay. You are either trolling or an idiot of epic proportions.

It's symptomatic of the instant gratification generation that can't handle stress, inconvenience, challenges and if someone doesn't give them a gold star and say everyone's a winner.

DayZ has a lot of hype behind it, and well-deserved but we're getting a flood of new players who are used to their twitch shooters and noob tubes and can't comprehend the concept of perma-death.  If they think DayZ is hard they should play some Rogue/Nethack

What do people love the most?

Saying "IT'S ALPHA!!!!"

I know that feel man.

I stay the hell away from ladders and firehouses when i really dont want to die.

Everything everyone has said is correct. It's an alpha, I forgive it for its blemishes. Bugs to be expected. I won't be gone forever, like one of the posters said, I'll give it some time and find myself coming back to help build the game right.

That being said... In the long run, I just hope that these types of things don't happen, far more than I care about additional content being added... Although clearly that is a must. Its not like it takes an hour to get a bunch of good gear and get well situated, it takes a lot of time. A lot of close calls. Near misses. Lucky shots. Hours spent strategically moving from house to house at night. Permadeath wipes all that away. And that takes a certain kind of gamer to handle.

And as painful as that may be, I'm ok with that, like I said, if it had been to my own stupidity or the skills of another player.

I'm just hoping that in the future, in addition to bugs like this not existing, there be some form of recourse other than tough luck to being screwed over for no good reason.

Either that, or this game is only worth short bursts of action like a match of Unreal Tournament. But it can't be worth the dozens of hours of careful survival that its supposed to be, if all that can be taken away like that.

I realize in life you can die from some pretty random things, but I think permadeath by itself is already a big leap from casual gamer to hardcore, playing a game where you can suddenly die from a randomly bad pancreas or absessed tooth... Is a little too big a leap, and too bitter for my tastes. Life has enough of that as it is!

Anyways, break time for some Total War: Rome II... See you all out there at some point. And as always, /salute rocket.

LMFAO - This guy...

1. This is Alpha. You Were Warned.

2. This is a damn Sweet-Alpha. You Were Warned.

3. Go Cry Elsewhere. You Were Warned.

• Like 1

Same thing happened to me after 3 days of exploring the map, no problem there.

i was a bit sad just like you, but did you know what i did instead ?

i run straight back to the said ladder and considering its an alpha i tried again, to identify the bug and "help" fixing it or atleast understand it.

After 3 more deaths this is what i discovered :

Climbing

- after the climbing animation is over keep pressing W

- if u are still stuck in it (2-3 seconds) and press F again u will instantly die

- if u are still still stuck (2-3 seconds) and do nothing u will fall, if its high altitude u will die, if its medium broke leg, if its low take damage and have pain.

- after the climbing animation is over press Z (let your character prone animation finish) and W, this will make your character crawl forward on any bugged ladder.

Going down

- before pressing F, stand straight ( C ) and have nothing in your hands (no weapon).

if u are in Crouch (X) and have a weapon in your hands then press (F) it will throw you forward and fall off the building,

Most of the ladders work. but the above situations happened on the medium high buildings of Dubky and surroundings, factory, construction sites, Electro Power Plant.

The climbing down  "Crouch + weapon +F" is universal though.

These little traps will be fixed dont worry, but untill then always have morphine, painkillers, bandage and a stick to recover.

Edited by Decembrie
  • Like 10

i run straight back to the said ladder and considering its an alpha i tried again, to identify the bug and "help" fixing it or atleast understand it.

Climbing

- after the animation is over keep pressing W

- if u are still stuck in it (2-3 seconds) and press F again u will instantly die

- if u are still still stuck (2-3 seconds) and do nothing u will fall, if its high altitude u will die, if its medium broke leg, if its low take damage and have pain.

- after the animation is over press Z and W, this will make your character crawl forward on any bugged ladder.

Going down

- before pressing F, stand straight © and have nothing in your hands (no weapon).

if u are in Crouch (X) and have a weapon in your hands then press (F) it will throw you forward and fall off the building,

Most of the ladders work. but the above situations happened on the medium high buildings of Dubky and surroundings, factory, construction sites, Electro Power Plant.

These little traps will be fixed dont worry, but untill then always have morphine, painkillers, bandage and a stick to recover.

Very Handy, thank you sir.

• Like 1

Climbing

- after the climbing animation is over keep pressing W

- after the climbing animation is over press Z (let your character prone animation finish) and W, this will make your character crawl forward on any bugged ladder.

Going down

- before pressing F, stand straight ( C ) and have nothing in your hands (no weapon).

Thank you for being constructive rather than QQ'ing like the OP. 

Not really sure we needed to know about this, but at the very least you recognize it's an alpha and you weren't complaining about it. Hope to see you again sometime!

Never had trouble with ladders myself. I just walk up to them really slowly. Had one close call where I almost overshot the ladder but I pressed f in time to catch myself in mid aid. I assumed off the bat that ladders would be buggy. Have yet to die from one, but I have had my character completely deleted for pretty much no reason. I had full end game gear. I wish I died the way you did. I would have someone to blame. Hint: myself. 

Edited by Solopopo

Oh and never get attached to your character, death is a way of life in this game. How would you of felt if you got killed by another player that shows up from you climbing the ladder or from half a mile away from a guy snooping around with a scoped mosin?

10/10

I got trolled.

He got trolled.

Everyone got trolled.

Really though, it sounds like dying to a ladder was the least of your worries. You wanted to climb a thing to scout hostiles? Have fun having zero cover and only a very slow and predictable way to escape. If anyone had walked by, you were dead. And even if they didn't this time, clearly you're new here and you would have gotten shot in a hilariously inept way.

I've died once because of a bug, so what? in many games its happened. and this is alpha so it wont be your last time that it happens. just keep playing!