Sign in to follow this  
heminized

Binding a player to one server?

I was wondering if it would be tough to implement binding a player to one server until death or they self respawn?

Just though it would really solve a lot of these server hoping issues.

I know one argument will be people will cry about gear, but come on…this is alpha and it’s going to get wiped anyway.

Just a thought, what are yours?

"but come on…this is alpha and it’s going to get wiped anyway."

Why care about server hoppers? its just a alpha its getting wiped anyway?

I think there are easier ways of stopping server hoppers that will have less of an impact on everyone else who plays the game fairly. Like making it so that loot disappears and doesn't regenerate for 10-15 minutes when a player spawns near it.

I think there are easier ways of stopping server hoppers that will have less of an impact on everyone else who plays the game fairly. Like making it so that loot disappears and doesn't regenerate for 10-15 minutes when a player spawns near it.

Which completely screws it for anyone? Someone goes away for a few hours, logs in in Elektro and everyone in the town doesn't have a loot spawn for 15 mins? Lol

"but come on…this is alpha and it’s going to get wiped anyway."

Why care about server hoppers? its just a alpha its getting wiped anyway?

People blipping in and shooting me in the back in an area I have already secured seems far less annoying to me, than decided to kill myself and respawn due to a server being down or unplayable…

That’s just my take…

Yes in the end it’s all a testing environment and will be wiped, but if you prefer dying to a server hopper and enjoy popping in and out of buildings all day to get loot….rock on.

I think something along the lines of the following might be a viable option;

- player health status, loot, humanity level etc = global persistent

- player location = local persistent

So the location your character finds himself in is only persistent when you log back in to the same server you were in the last time you logged off.

If you log in to a different server from the one you logged out previously, your character will spawn at a random location on the map (not debug forrest though ;) )

Ofcourse I have no clue what so ever if such a distinction between character's specifics can be made

Server offline? Server out of date?

Can't play!

No thanks.

Fair point Sir!

But wouldn't such an offline server pose a problem anyways? Tents or vehicles would be lost to you also.

This simply randomizing a character's location seems less of a problem and yet would prevent server hopping (wrong type of meta-gaming).

Just my two cents. Although it has it's drawbacks, the advantage of such mechanic outweighs the drawbacks, no?

Server offline? Server out of date?

Can't play!

No thanks.

Reading is fundamental:

Respawn.

"I think something along the lines of the following might be a viable option;

- player health status, loot, humanity level etc = global persistent

So the location your character finds himself in is only persistent when you log back in to the same server you were in the last time you logged off.

If you log in to a different server from the one you logged out previously, your character will spawn at a random location on the map (not debug forrest though )"

I like this idea, simply use the current first spawn locations. It could make it easier to meet back with your friends if one dies also.

Why not make it so your bound to server you played on for like x amount of minutes. So whenever you decide to change server you just have to wait like 5-10 minutes ( or whatever number you want ). That would stop server hopping in combat aswell as most of the loot server hopping.

Which completely screws it for anyone? Someone goes away for a few hours' date=' logs in in Elektro and everyone in the town doesn't have a loot spawn for 15 mins? Lol

[/quote']

I'm not talking about loot inside a whole town disappearing because a player spawns there. I'm talking more about loot much closer to a player - i.e. inside the same building. For instance, if a player spawns inside the NW airfield barracks (one of the main server hopper spots) then all loot inside the NW airfield barracks should vanish and not regenerate for 10-15mins.

- player health status' date=' loot, humanity level etc = global persistent

If you log in to a different server from the one you logged out previously, your character will spawn at a random location on the map (not debug forrest though ;) )

Ofcourse I have no clue what so ever if such a distinction between character's specifics can be made

[/quote']

This right here is a great solution. We just have to be careful spawning armed vets next to coastal noobs. Players with loot can have a southern spawn in field just north maybe?

Which completely screws it for anyone? Someone goes away for a few hours' date=' logs in in Elektro and everyone in the town doesn't have a loot spawn for 15 mins? Lol

[/quote']

I'm not talking about loot inside a whole town disappearing because a player spawns there. I'm talking more about loot much closer to a player - i.e. inside the same building. For instance, if a player spawns inside the NW airfield barracks (one of the main server hopper spots) then all loot inside the NW airfield barracks should vanish and not regenerate for 10-15mins.

this has potential for griefing

I can see where your coming from, however; if I have a character on a server, and ths server goes down, I would have to create a whole new character. I'm not nessecarily up for making a whole new character because the servers down.

- player health status' date=' loot, humanity level etc = global persistent

[/quote']

This right here is a great solution. We just have to be careful spawning armed vets next to coastal noobs. Players with loot can have a southern spawn in field just north maybe?

Unfortunately if there was an area that geared up players spawned in you can bet there'd be a ton of Bandits there as well.

Server Specific Character Location is not viable. It solves cross server ambush but makes loot hopping worse.

Loot hoppers would stick their character in certain buildings on each server (Hospital, Barracks, Deer Stands, Supermarket) and easily warp wherever they want depending on the server.

I think it's a great idea, now with vehicles spawning and somewhat working tents a lot of people have decided upon a home server anyway. The only two points I have to enhance this system is: Higher server capacity, which looking at the new patch notes isn't far off and some sort of queue system so you don't have to spam enter.