SpetsnazGRU (DayZ)

psychological effects of banditry

I'm with you especially the final sentence. I'm not sure how they'd implement it or if the shaking hands & screen effect thing would work but I agree there's probably something that should change in a character with many murders.

but what if you are cold hard murderer and you just don't care? As the op said 

I could care less about how people choose to play the game.  

contradicts the whole thing. Been in army - have killed. Hands don't shake. Some people get shaking hands from accidentally shooting a rabbit instead of deer. 

• Like 1

I don't think people are complaining mainly about bandits seeing as how without them the game wouldn't be what it is today. I think the main complaint is the Kill on Sight mentality 2/3 of the community has picked up due to boredom ect... This could change when the full game is released but as of now people are tired of being killed with every interaction with another player.

I see.Well I was just suggesting that all these "heroes" band up and protect themselves from the bastard kos'ers, basically. I think you can have a little more control over a situation (granted that you don't put yourself in a bad one) than your giving yourself credit for. How exactly is a kos'er getting te drop on so many people? Not to be rude, but I think they haven't learned to survive.

• Like 1

Thats fine and at least i don't hate people for it. This is why i avoid people completely lol. Its just people are, i guess looking for more than just being killed every time they encounter someone. People also want to have other interactions with nice people and thats what makes memories for people and also makes them want to come back to play more. I can see why being KoS could turn people away but it is part of the game.

Honestly I am getting more mad at people who walk up to someone in a world with no rules on murder expecting not to get shot or killed. Where's your head at?

• Like 1

Honestly I am getting more mad at people who walk up to someone in a world with no rules on murder expecting not to get shot or killed. Where's your head at?

Some people don't realize its a survival game lol. I just stay away from everyone. I was explaining others point of views but when you stay away from everyone then you dont have to worry about it lol.

If this game's goal is to promote semi-realism, I'm not here to bitch about KOSing and all that nonsense, but I feel like this might be an interesting thing to add into the game.  We could add psychological consequences for killing on sight.  In the instance where a player racks up a large amount of bandit kills, they will experience screen blurring,  and unsteady hands.  White or red flashes could be incorporated into the effect, but it would symbolize the deterioration of the mind.  The guilt starting to eat away at the individual's psyche.  To reduce this effect, the player would have to take painkillers at a steady rate or begin to try and do good deeds to redeem their humanity.  By doing good deeds, their humanity would go up and gradually the effects of guilt would subside.  If you're just going to cry in the comments saying, "Get BTR @ the game skrub, 420 yolo. SURVIVA1 0f th3 f1tt35t bro" , you're better off just not commenting. Honestly, I just like the idea of a hardcore survival zombie simulator and I could care less about how people choose to play the game.  

Another horrible idea........ adding consequences to killing people is just plain stupid ...im sorry but it is. How about if i say to you if you become too friendly or are too much of a hero then your screen starts being filled with ponies and rainbows and you cant shoot your weapon at bandits because your too nice and friendly to do such a thing ? yes stupid when we start adding crap like that isnt it ?

Edited by Massicor

This is a bad idea and you should feel bad

Dayz has said they will never do micro transactions. A cool-down period of like an hour or a few hours after you die would be more appropriate

First time i've seen the cool-down idea. We should get a thread going about this. I've always hated that in dayz when you kill someone, their friends can just pick them up and bring them back, or they can run back to their gear, etc. A cooldown would DRASTICALLY change this game in the "right" (opinions.. ) direction.. dying actually means something...

"I'm not here to bitch about it, but definitely want to punish you for doing it. Which is actually far worse."

Psychological problems are a good idea, but not as a "consequence" for what you deem bad behavior. Everyone should be subject to the affects, no matter their actions. Remember, zombies are just sick people. You're murdering random strangers every day.

If zombies were actually a threat to where you had to kill them, yeah then that'd be a decent argument.

First time i've seen the cool-down idea. We should get a thread going about this. I've always hated that in dayz when you kill someone, their friends can just pick them up and bring them back, or they can run back to their gear, etc. A cooldown would DRASTICALLY change this game in the "right" (opinions.. ) direction.. dying actually means something...

What you fail to remember ...is that when people die they are a new person when they spawn so should be able to loot any dead body ...be it his last characters dead body or someone elses.

Edited by Massicor

No. We don't need a game mechanic to try to get rid of KOS.

I don't know why people (not necessarily the OP but a TON in the mod) think that if you kill people you will have some psychological breakdown.

• Like 2

How about everyone not KOS'ing getting shakes from guilt and anxiety from the extra ammunition they just passed up. They could perhaps suddenly burst out in loud screams and wet themselves while they try to stay hidden in a corner.

Good idea? Thoughts?

If this game's goal is to promote semi-realism, I'm not here to bitch about KOSing and all that nonsense, but I feel like this might be an interesting thing to add into the game.  We could add psychological consequences for killing on sight.  In the instance where a player racks up a large amount of bandit kills, they will experience screen blurring,  and unsteady hands.  White or red flashes could be incorporated into the effect, but it would symbolize the deterioration of the mind.  The guilt starting to eat away at the individual's psyche.  To reduce this effect, the player would have to take painkillers at a steady rate or begin to try and do good deeds to redeem their humanity.  By doing good deeds, their humanity would go up and gradually the effects of guilt would subside.  If you're just going to cry in the comments saying, "Get BTR @ the game skrub, 420 yolo. SURVIVA1 0f th3 f1tt35t bro" , you're better off just not commenting. Honestly, I just like the idea of a hardcore survival zombie simulator and I could care less about how people choose to play the game.  

Edited by Fleetrap
  • Like 1

This is unnecessary. People already have psychological reactions to their behavior. 

We've had two of our junior members stop playing with the Medical Division because they didn't really enjoy what we were doing. 

Imagine this

Imagine it took 5-10 bullets to reliably kill someone (not hits, just fired)

Imagine the average number of bullets a player had at any point was 10-20

Imagine you actually needed bullets for things other than killing players

Hey presto. KoS solved.

Edited by Imbalanxd

See, people talking about this not being realistic really seem to just be attempting to justify their own playstyle.

I'm going to add to the idea a little - and change some wording, but here's how it could work - and be realistic, as well as more fair.

What should be added is an overall sanity system. People spawn with a 'sanity score' slightly below that of a happy and normal person. The sanity system isn't as large a factor as food, water or sickness, but it can still have very bad effects if neglected too much.

So, what affects sanity?

• Eating rotten food - it gives the chance of sickness already, but if you're desperate enough to eat rotten food - and do it on a regular basis...
  • Wearing 'ruined' and 'badly damaged' clothes - Walking around in the harsh winter of Chernarus in shredded clothing isn't going to do anyone a lick of good. Not only should this effect sickness, but people aren't going to be amazing at coping with that either.
  • Spilling food - Yep. You're not going to like spilling food when you open cans with things other than a can opener.
  • Killing Zombies - Zombies are people too! Just gross, angry, evil people... You take a hit on your sanity from killing zombies.
  • Killing people - This one is a little more complex. If you're 'hungry' or 'thirsty,' killing people should not affect your sanity at all - you need the supplies to live. Then, it needs to take into account the method of murder - is it a long range shot? Not very damaging. Neither is a quick burst of machine gun fire. But are you hacking at the fecker with an axe? Yeah. That's gonna mess you up good. Finally, gearing should be taken into account. If you kill someone with military gear, fair enough. Their a threat - probably shouldn't trust them and you might get some useful loot too. If you kill people with very little gear? Yeah. That's gonna damage your sanity.

So, what effect does sanity have?

• Early on, it can be small things - slightly shaky hands, not causing any real problems unless you absolutely suck at shooting.
  • Getting on a little, it can be slightly more noticeable stuff - like blood shot eyes as an indicator for people that this character might be getting a bit desperate. It's fair enough here, I feel.
  • Later on? You get flashes across the eyes, bouts of intense shaking, immobility in the worst cases. Think shell shock.

Now, people may argue a couple of things against this.

First, Psychopaths - Less than 1% of the population are psychopaths. It's not a good argument to use, really.

Next, dealing with stuff is easier in a post-apocalyptic environment. Sure, some stuff might be necessary - and I've taken that into account. But think about that for a minute... You heard of PTSD and Shell Shock? That thing people suffer after going to war?

During World War 1 and 2, there were millions of soldiers who experienced forms of shell shock and PTSD. The ironic thing here is that, at least for World War 1, most soldiers were enthusiastic to 'go and kick some German ass' and absolutely hated every German soldier. So, assuming they weren't psychos, the majority of them had ill effects from murdering people - and that was on a battle field. How about in a survival situation, where you know that every survivor actually counts, didn't want to go into this, have lost all of your family and friends and are struggling to live?

Unless you ARE a psychopath, you're not going to be immune to anything, psych-wise. I'm not saying 'zomg. If you kill anyone, you have to go crazy.' But stuff should build up over time, damaging your mental health.

I don't suggest any form of sanity system being implemented, however, unless it was possible to take a lot into account. Seriously, it needs to consider so many different factors. However, if something like I suggested were possible - and the devs were able to do a nice bit of balancing, it would not only be realistic, but beneficial to gameplay.

EDIT: Oh, to regain sanity, you can do stuff like be around people for extended periods of time, eat nice, pristine food and fresh fruit, not experience any of the 'hunger,' 'thirst' and 'sick' tabs for a while. After an hour of not having to kill anything, you gain 1 sanity per minute. That kind of thing.

Edited by Isaaq
  • Like 3

And still no is the answer. It all boils down to punishing people for having a certain play style no matter how many words you change or how "realistic" you think it is (which in itself is highly arguable). So just stop already ok.

And still no is the answer. It all boils down to punishing people for having a certain play style no matter how many words you change or how "realistic" you think it is (which in itself is highly arguable). So just stop already ok.

Except punishing people for stuff they do happens in real life too. The game is a simulator - it's meant to be realistic. But, I know that if I went out and started murdering people, it'd fuck me up. I'm not a particularly compassionate person either.

You only argument is 'WE CAN PLAY HOW WE LIKE!!!1!.'

No, you have to play within the confines of reality. It's meant to be a realistic game.

God what the fuck is wrong with you people? It's like crying about PVP in Battlefield/Cod/Shooters/Etc. It's not the people who kill other people who are making the game worse it's people like you,  who believe the game is bad because people do part what the game intends for them to do.

And another thing, by doing this you're forcing the same mindset onto Everyone, not everyone in a real situation would break down crying as they kill a zombie, not everyone will feel bad for killing people especially if it is to survive, heck even people who like killing they aren't going to feel bad or get shaky hands or whatever. Penalizing people for being who they are is a terrible and frankly moronic idea. Psychological effects vary from person to person.

Its meant to be a simulation of an apocalyptic scenario. There is no government to punish people. NO government. Got that. You want to go around punishing people for KoSing others then form a group and do so. No arbitrary system is needed when we have the means to do so ourselves.

I'm a vet. I've killed people. So have many other veterans around the world. Not everyone reacts negatively from having done so. Most vets don't in my experience. "But we're civilians in game!" Guess what happens to people when they leave the military? They become civilians. There is nothing in game that says we are civilians that know absolutely nothing except how to sit on our asses at a desk job and sip coffee while going home to a 2.5 person family and a pet in a suburban neighborhood. Just cause you choose that as the basis for your character back story doesn't mean I do. And that is reality right there.

Edit to include Isaaq quote:

Except punishing people for stuff they do happens in real life too. The game is a simulator - it's meant to be realistic. But, I know that if I went out and started murdering people, it'd fuck me up. I'm not a particularly compassionate person either.

You only argument is 'WE CAN PLAY HOW WE LIKE!!!1!.'

No, you have to play within the confines of reality. It's meant to be a realistic game.
Edited by Zogvarn

You cant just make up some psychological effects :D

Red flashy screen! :P

Some guys doesnt suffer from guilt or remorse. Try to keep it real atleast.

Me and my friend were talking about something similar, as in staying sane in a zombie survival game. If you didnt stay sane you could start shaking or hearing zombie or gunshot sounds. To increase sanity you could read or interact with other player. you would slowly lose sanity  just as a general rule( like the film castaway)and if you kill people you lose it quicker could be one example( i know it would affect some people more than others irl). but you know what, i dislike KoS'ers(although they are a big aspect of the game) but thats just me, i play with a stay hidden, avoid players or at least be friendly attitude so i dont like it if i am helping people and i get gunned down, so ya know

Because in reality you probably could bring yourself to kill someone, but you would be faced with mental consequences, examples of this in real life are soldiers who have recieved post traumatic stress disorder, from the harsh conditions, sounds of gunfire, killing people/watching people be killed.

Edited by jasher

God what the fuck is wrong with you people? It's like crying about PVP in Battlefield/Cod/Shooters/Etc. It's not the people who kill other people who are making the game worse it's people like you, who believe the game is bad because people do part what the game intends for them to do.

And another thing, by doing this you're forcing the same mindset onto Everyone, not everyone in a real situation would break down crying as they kill a zombie, not everyone will feel bad for killing people especially if it is to survive, heck even people who like killing they aren't going to feel bad or get shaky hands or whatever. Penalizing people for being who they are is a terrible and frankly moronic idea. Psychological effects vary from person to person.

Yeah, that's right, in real life you can't pick a psychological side effect you like. It picks you. That's why it would be a good starting point if we'd have various psychological drawbacks and certain chances. So for example: if you whitness a massacre very close, you have a chance that your chacter is being traumatized. How this effects your gameplay? How about not being able to shoot at somebody to times? How about blackouts after seeing amounts of blood?

How did it come that so many are defending a playstile like "spawns out of the air, runs to next weapon spawn point or commits suicide, grabs weapon, shots someone, dies, respawns... rinse and repeats" by claiming this would be realistic? Did they play too much games where they constantly respawn in oder to confuse that gamey playstile with realism?

That's being said, in nature, no unhealthy lifestile is being unpunished. Unpredicted psychological consequences in fact is something survivor would have to deal with.

Edited by Ken Bean

implimenting such a consequence for playing this game a certain way is dumb, and very unreal. there'd be no way to distinguish an unprovoked kos from a legitimate defensive kill.

I think we will have to wait until the community of psychokillers (90% of the people on this forum as it seems) is hopefully slowly replaced by people wanting something else from the game.

• Like 2

Not sure what most of you are talking about.

Freedom of playstyle is one thing, being a dick quite another. I would like to see those KoSers pretty well fckd up as they take the fast, lame route to a dubious success.

Without a doubt, 90% of south-coast KoSers are server hoppers who got all their gear by jumping through 500 servers within 3 minutes from spawning. That kind of "playstyle" makes me sick personally.

Server hopping idiotic campers should die for the best of this game.

I say lock chars to a chosen server and only allow change of server after x amount of time on a pretty long logout timeout.

• Like 1

It wont be implemented, as there's a horde of kids that will stand against it, saying that killing someone produces no psychological effects, that you're supposed to kill everything you see ingame, this kind of bullshit.

Most of these kids didnt ever killed even an animal IRL, but seems that they're specialists in human killing to the point that they know that there's no side effects for it.

People have morals, killing someone that doesnt stand a direct threat to you (As all people in the game's scenario would be) should make the character feel guilty, isnt like killing people in war, as those people want to kill you too, your mind processes it like self defense.

For that war vet there, you're only right if you killed a bunch of inoccent civilians when you were deployed on wherever you were, and you wouldnt feel guilty for that.

Edited by lipemr
  • Like 1

People have morals, killing someone that doesnt stand a direct threat to you (As all people in the game's scenario would be) should make the character feel guilty, isnt like killing people in war, as those people want to kill you too, your mind processes it like self defense.

So I'm scavenging for food, water etc.  I'm just trying to survive.  What are you doing scavenging in MY area?  Why are you here?  You're stealing from me!  I must defend myself!

I'm honestly so decked out at this point, that I go on loot runs just to take good items and dump them in the middle of a field or in a bush in the woods to keep them out of the hands of others.  I go so far as to steal the optics from every m4 I find and leave it lying in the middle of the woods.  Remember, the bullet you leave behind will be the one that kills you.