Manichampionman

Fire Axe only plausible weapon?

Melee all around needs adjustments.  Shouldn't take me 7 swings to kill a lone Zombie with a huge crowbar.

Once Zombies are fixed and increased in numbers, hopefully they adjust the melee system also.  A little for PvP, and a lot for PvE.

• Like 2

The 357 is a definite OHK to zeds. You just gotta survive the task of getting to a milspawn to get one.

Sweet, did anyone hear or read anything about hit detection? That would be extremely helpful if I pick up a bat and have to Mark Maguire on some zombies?

Melee all around needs adjustments.  Shouldn't take me 7 swings to kill a lone Zombie with a huge crowbar.

Once Zombies are fixed and increased in numbers, hopefully they adjust the melee system also.  A little for PvP, and a lot for PvE.

I have to agree, most of the weapons seem unrealistically ineffective. I'm pretty sure If I hit a zombie in the side of the head full force with a pipe wrench the size of my arm elbow deep they're not just going to shrug it off.

i think both axes have similar demage to zombies.

Firemans Axe overall does more damage, and while the damage difference is probably minimal when hitting a player when engaging a zombie only the fire axe has the capability of 1 shotting anywhere on the body.

Edited by CDriVe1335

Hit'em in the head baker. Doesn't matter what melee weap you use they will go down pretty quick.

Sweet, did anyone hear or read anything about hit detection? That would be extremely helpful if I pick up a bat and have to Mark Maguire on some zombies?

Do melee attacks in first person instead of third. The hit detection is fine, its just that 3rd person perspective gives you a distorted view of where the weapon is actually swinging.

Hit'em in the head baker. Doesn't matter what melee weap you use they will go down pretty quick.

I'll test out the theory.  But I'm pretty sure I did this with a baseball bat, crowbar, and pipe wrench on different occasions and they took a beating to go down.

As mentioned above, a pipe wrench the size of my forearm should most definitely clobber a zombie with little trouble.  But i'll definitely test this out.

Weird cause I never had issues with using the crowbar or shovel when i got head shots. Course its a bit hard to make sure they are headshots, but at a minimum you should be able to keep them knocked down to finish them off relatively easily.

I've had one shot kills with the baseball bat when sprinting up behind a stationary zed and whacking him in the head. Wrench seems to take at least two hits.

Are the fire axes the only melee weapon that's a one hit kill on zombies?

The other axe is also one hit kill.

This one have no revealing colours, I prefer this axe. Test the aiming with this axe first, by sneaking on a Zombie. Aimpoint is not the middel.

Edited by NoCheats

I found a .357 in a house on the coast? Sadly, Still looking for ammo, lol

Try behind the counter of petrol stations, sometimes you have to prone. I usually get some ammo or a map that way. Though the maps seem to have glitched and are not showing up.

The other axe is also one hit kill.

Depends on where you hit with the splitting axe, it can take two hits.

• Like 1

Only one hit kill all the time? Yes.

Only one hit kill? No. Splitting axe to the head is (other wise 2).

Only plausible melee weapon? No. I don't even use the fire axe anymore. I prefer the wood splitting axe.

I am sure it will get over hauled but I would like to see it along these lines.

Fire Axe - 1 hit

Wood Axe - 1.5 hit (hit to head 1, body 2)

Knife (hunting, bayonet, kitchen) - 2 (shortest range)

Crow Bar - 3

Pipe Wrench - 3-4 (shorter range though)

Shovel - 4

Baseball bat - 4-5 (with nail spikes 3)

Fire Ext - 5 (last resort)

I'll test out the theory.  But I'm pretty sure I did this with a baseball bat, crowbar, and pipe wrench on different occasions and they took a beating to go down.

As mentioned above, a pipe wrench the size of my forearm should most definitely clobber a zombie with little trouble.  But i'll definitely test this out.

I can agree with this, I was testing as many melee weapons and found that next to the fireaxe the next most effective weapon is your fists.

Adjustments?

Melee needs complete overhaul and needs to be redone from scratch. Melee in DayZ is currently worse than it was in Quake 1 (1996) - it was my assumption this was not possible to do in mod, and was one of the main reasons to push for standalone.

So, in short:

- devastating melee weapons - even a shovel should knock you out if i made a good hit

- fluid melee combat 

- more melee weapons - nearly every household should have a kitchen knife and nearly all rural houses should have wood splitting axes

Fire Axe is the only one I want and that shouldn't be the way. Melee system in the Standalone needs a revamp.

I prefer the splitting axe simply because it doesn't stand out so much, colour-wise. It seems to do fine against zeds for me. Aim it right and headshot.

Are the fire axes the only melee weapon that's a one hit kill on zombies?

Punch them in the head, only takes about 3 or 4 jabs. You start DayZ with literally the best weapon in the game. Effective against zombies, extremely effective against players. Would love to see brass knuckles introduced.

Punch them in the head, only takes about 3 or 4 jabs. You start DayZ with literally the best weapon in the game. Effective against zombies, extremely effective against players. Would love to see brass knuckles introduced.

Punching zombies is definitely not the answer. You start bleeding, then your character forgets how to put a bandage in his hand then you keep bleeding so you start telling him to fucking bandage. 

Punching zombies is definitely not the answer. You start bleeding, then your character forgets how to put a bandage in his hand then you keep bleeding so you start telling him to fucking bandage. 

Zombies get knocked down when punched in the face just like players do. I have killed them in less hits more safely with my fists than I have with any other weapon aside from the fire axe.

circle strafe like Ali and you'll be fine.

Edited by velyse

The 357 is a definite OHK to zeds. You just gotta survive the task of getting to a milspawn to get one.

Sadly almost any shot in any parts results in dead zombie, not only from magnum.

But I have fait that devs will adjust and make zombies more durable, once they fix their AI and clipping.

Also hitting zombie in the torso with fireaxe should not kill them in 1 hit, headshot only should be the bullseye.

Edited by Hombre