Zascha-Geriko

What, exactly, is the point of this game?

So... I bought DayZ Standalone over the holidays.  And, I must say... it's got some really great highs and some pretty bad lows.  I know it's in Alpha and all, so my question here isn't really related to that.

My question is... what's the point exactly to this game?  I can't really figure out what I'm supposed to be doing or trying to do.  I mean, even after a week of playing, I've pretty much figured out how to keep my character alive, make them healthy, find some guns and stuff, etc... I've died a few times along the way.  I've gotten into some PvP exchanges.  But... am I missing something?

Maybe the thing I'm looking for just hasn't been implemented yet, seeing as it's an Alpha and all.  But I'm really struggling to understand what the grand scheme is.  Am I supposed to be trying to make it to some Heli-vac or am I supposed to find some buddies to rebuild civilization?  I mean, what's the end goal going to be?

I ask this, because the way these servers are set up really kind of boggles my mind.  You've got this huge map, which is great, but then you have BF numbers in them.  And they don't seem to be persistent.  And even if they were, is 40 players really enough to make any sort of persistence within the server something to want to build in?  I mean, I could move my entire clan into the game and take up all of that server space.  This doesn't seem to be enough to give us that MadMax, Walking Dead, post apocalypse, zombie infestation sort of experience.

There has to be more to this planned than just eating, drinking, dealing with bandits, and dodging zombies.  Because the more I think about how awesome this game could be... the more I realize if that's all that is planned, then it appears to be a totally wasted opportunity.  I'm already sort of bored with this rinse and repeat setup.  I mean... if that's all there is... then I've technically beaten this game several times already.

• Like 3

It's a sandbox, the game is what you make it.

• Like 12

There is no end game, no quests or missions, you just have to survive for as long as you can :D

Eventully there will be vehicles, more players, private and public hives where your character is saved, you will be able to build and so much more.

Best thing you can really do is stop now and come back when the game is complete.

• Like 2

No goal, to me this is like playing with lego's, you take what the game give's you and you play with it as such, it is as much fun as you make it out to be.

Edited by Mannyrue
  • Like 2

On some servers  in day Z mod there were custom missions ,basebuilding  etc ! But basically yea u scavange , eat , drink ,keep ur temperature and sicknes at bay ... And ofc meet new ppl ! But be carefull " some of them WANT YOUR BEANS "

• Like 4

If there is no end-game.. there is no beating the game, EVER.. even if you feel like you have.

The point of the game in essence is to survive for as long as possible. There will be other things to do to bide your time, eventually. Since the game is in Alpha there are many things that are not implemented at this stage. So currently there isn't much to do except trying to survive. Watch some of the archived Dev Streams on Twitch to see what is in store for the game.

Also, finding a can opener.

• Like 13

The point of the game is to survive sadly many only enjoy grieving other ppl atm and this probably wont go away till some standards besides death matches get put in.

The point of the game is to survive sadly many only enjoy grieving other ppl atm and this probably wont go away till some standards besides death matches get put in.

This seems to be what I run into a lot.  Currently, I spend a few hours running around trying to find some gear and whatnot.  And then... I've maxed my character out.  So I catch up with some of my friends and we go to Balota to try and rescue new spawns from being ganked by campers.  Sometimes I die, sometimes I don't.  It just depends.  And... that's it.

It's weird too, because once I get to that point - the game suddenly doesn't feel like a zombie survival game.  It just feels like Arma - a soldier wartime simulator with an easter egg hunt keeping you from the action.

Hopefully this feeling will change once it starts moving into Beta and then a finished product.

This seems to be what I run into a lot.  Currently, I spend a few hours running around trying to find some gear and whatnot.  And then... I've maxed my character out.  So I catch up with some of my friends and we go to Balota to try and rescue new spawns from being ganked by campers.  Sometimes I die, sometimes I don't.  It just depends.  And... that's it.

It's weird too, because once I get to that point - the game suddenly doesn't feel like a zombie survival game.  It just feels like Arma - a soldier wartime simulator with an easter egg hunt keeping you from the action.

Hopefully this feeling will change once it starts moving into Beta and then a finished product.

This is why i play games like 7 Days to Die, Dead Rising 3, State Of Decay or even the upcoming Dying light. I mean hell it may not be TO survival like but it FEELS like an actual zombie game with a driven purpose besides just pvping like a bunch of morons.

• Like 1

Uber lewtz clan raids to kill the zombie queen for her Green Hoodie +2

Everyone knows the red hoodie makes you run faster

It's just like real life : pointless, in the end you'll die anyways. Yet I don't want to :P

• Like 1

It's a sandbox, the game is what you make it.

well considering we have no effect on the world around us this is not a sandbox just an open world pvp deathmatch...so i guess the point of the game would be cherno/balota circlejerk and thats all it looks like it will ever be.

sandbox means we can build and alter the world around us...hence the term SANDBOX(you know like what kids play in and make castles)

it really makes me face palm every time you or rocket goes this is a sandbox when it is clearly not a sandbox its just a pvp deathmatch with an open world

Edited by soulesseye
  • Like 6

what is point of game??? :huh:

survive?

don't die?

test moral code find limit what you doing or not doing for preserve existence ;)

use brain and balls for avoid trouble

or when you find trouble DEAL WITH IT

help guys :thumbsup:  :)

murder guys :thumbsup: :ph34r:

help guys by murder other guys :D

murder guys to help other guys

explore world find what you need ^_^

learn to move stealth way like ninja

or run into cherno shout in direct 'COME GET SOME BITCHES!!!'

POINT OF GAME IS THERE IS NO TRUE POINT >:(

IS INFINITE WHAT YOU DOING LIMIT ONLY BY IMAGINATION (if you having)

also what fate having to say ;)

Edited by KoS
  • Like 6

I was playing the mod over the weekend. I found a motorcycle, and went to meet up with my friend. On the way back to my campsite we crashed and the front wheel was badly damaged. We then went to an abandoned factory to find a tire. Inside the factory we upset zombies, and barely made it out with one 9mm round left.

There was no dude standing in one place for eternity with a yellow exclamation mark over his head, constantly needing a tire. I fucked up and ended up needing a tire so I went and got one.

This game is all about needs, and one thing leads to another. One minute you're sneaking into a hospital looking for meds to treat sepsis, and the next you're in a shootout with some bandits, the next you're running from a hoard of zombies with your meds hoping you don't pass out before you can shake them.

• Like 6

Well what you've done so far is basically the outline of what you can do at the moment. When the game is more developed there will be more for you to do. A large part of DayZ is exploring the map, collecting gear, encountering friendlies and bandits and surviving.

The game will become a lot more fun when vehicles, more weapons/clothing are implemented etc. 

• Like 1

There are three prerequisites for winning DayZ

1. Find a Mosin

2. Find a long range scope

3. Find a good camping spot.

Congrats you have won Day Z.

• Like 1