Sign in to follow this  
hannibaldaplaya

Do not implement features that punish KoS in some stupid karma sort of way!

I keep on hearing people shout, "Add a karma system thing that punishes players for KoS and rewards players for heroism!", and I keep thinking to myself, uh, NO? Why would we want a system that punishes players for their fucking playstyles?

Plus, a "karma" system / whatever would be so difficult for the developers to make, as there is literally NO WAY to figure out if a player legitimately killed someone. Players would get punished for defending themselves!

We do not need features that directly punish KoS. Wait for zeds to be a threat. Then, players will think twice about firing guns as they will fear zeds swarming their position.

• Like 11

Have you actually seen anything like banditskins or heroskins in SA? No - as there aren't any.

Just because some people want to have it doesn't mean it will actually make it to the game.

• Like 1

Who said there is going to be a thing like this in the first place. -_-

There isn't, but idiots are pushing for it everytime they get shot by some guy in Balota.

Have you actually seen anything like banditskins or heroskins in SA? No - as there aren't any.

Just because some people want to have it doesn't mean it will actually make it to the game.

I know, I just want to try to make people aware that no matter how much they push for this shitty karma bandit hero system, it isn't going to get into the game.

• Like 2

I know, I just want to try to make people aware that no matter how much they push for this shitty karma bandit hero system, it isn't going to get into the game.

I didn't want to push you away - however a thread like this will hardly do anything, as many people won't even read it and especially when they think it's a great idea to have something like this ingame, they will just ignore it.

So far rocket has made good decisions to keep it in a style I personally think it fits the world of DayZ. I have faith it will stay that way.

• Like 1

I keep on hearing people shout, "Add a karma system thing that punishes players for KoS and rewards players for heroism!", and I keep thinking to myself, uh, NO? Why would we want a system that punishes players for their fucking playstyles?

Plus, a "karma" system / whatever would be so difficult for the developers to make, as there is literally NO WAY to figure out if a player legitimately killed someone. Players would get punished for defending themselves!

We do not need features that directly punish KoS. Wait for zeds to be a threat. Then, players will think twice about firing guns as they will fear zeds swarming their position.

10/10  Have some beans.

First off, KoS isn't really a problem.  Only if you're trying to get the easy weapon spawns in Balota AF.  Stop trying to do that....go north.  You'll have much more success and peace.

Secondly as OP mentioned, Zeds will be the balancers for large city PvP.  Right now people have no incentive to hold their fire.  When there's a zombie horde between you and the guy with the Mosin on the hill, do you think he's going to ring that dinner bell?  Probably not.

Give it time, this is an early access alpha in it's earliest stages.  In no way is it a complete product, said by Rocket himself.

But jesus man, don't punish players for how they want to play just because you're tired of being killed.  That's just lame and has no place in DayZ.  I've been alive for DAYS.  I've observed several groups of most likely hostile players from afar without them ever being aware of my presence.  Learning to be stealthy and sneak around is part of the game.

Don't play stupid.  And remember that death is a core part of this game.

• Like 1

If you shoot an unarmed player from a distance you should be punished. This isn't a playstyle. It's griefing. There is no sport in killing deer at a petting zoo.

• Like 1

10/10  Have some beans.

First off, KoS isn't really a problem.  Only if you're trying to get the easy weapon spawns in Balota AF.  Stop trying to do that....go north.  You'll have much more success and peace.

Secondly as OP mentioned, Zeds will be the balancers for large city PvP.  Right now people have no incentive to hold their fire.  When there's a zombie horde between you and the guy with the Mosin on the hill, do you think he's going to ring that dinner bell?  Probably not.

Give it time, this is an early access alpha in it's earliest stages.  In no way is it a complete product, said by Rocket himself.

But jesus man, don't punish players for how they want to play just because you're tired of being killed.  That's just lame and has no place in DayZ.  I've been alive for DAYS.  I've observed several groups of most likely hostile players from afar without them ever being aware of my presence.  Learning to be stealthy and sneak around is part of the game.

Don't play stupid.  And remember that death is a core part of this game.

Most of the time I track groups from the shadows, hiding in the tree line, I get bored and just open fire on them and see if I can take the 2 or 3 of them. xD

What players don't realize is that this game would be nothing without PVP. PVP is what makes this game an adrenaline pumping experience, one where you actually get a bit shakey and riled up during a gunfight, where you end up being careful, slow, and quiet with what you do, where you end up becoming fearful of the sounds you hear. Hearing someone on a microphone in a place like Balota is chilling, especially in the camp, as you know that there is someone there and you are in an area where getting ambushed is easy.

I was recently in a gunfight at Balota, was only passing through to get to a friend, when I was shot at by an M4A1. Every shot missed, and I got to cover. I had a mosin, and after a bit of nervously waiting for someone to pop out, I realized I wasn't the only one engaged in this. Another player was up on a hill, which I could see, firing at something. I had found myself in a gunfight consisting of 3 players, all hostile to each other. So I shot, and I'm pretty sure I took him down, if I didn't kill him he was probably hurting. The other player got me as I made a dash to get into the nearest house, and my back was sprayed with 5.56mm bullets and I found myself dead. It was quite the experience. Didn't care about my loot, had a lot of fun!

• Like 1

What you don't want to do thought is place too much faith in the zombies. Any good player can escape 5 or 6 zombies. Plus if you have the ammo to Kos, whats stopping you putting rounds into zeds hunting you down?

If you shoot an unarmed player from a distance you should be punished. This isn't a playstyle. It's griefing. There is no sport in killing deer at a petting zoo.

When zeds are polished and more are added, there will be literally NO reason for this karma bullshit.

Players who kill those unarmed will risk their lives by firing off a loud ass round, which will attract zeds to their position, thus making people think about who to engage.

Plus, this is DayZ. You're supposed to be scared of the other players, and you need to always be careful. Just because you got sniped running down Balota airfield or down the road to Cherno doesn't mean someone was being a griefer, it may be due to the fact they kind of want to keep the loot to themselves and are getting rid of you incase you do get armed in the area and pose more of a threat to them.

• Like 2

Most of the time I track groups from the shadows, hiding in the tree line, I get bored and just open fire on them and see if I can take the 2 or 3 of them. xD

What players don't realize is that this game would be nothing without PVP. PVP is what makes this game an adrenaline pumping experience, one where you actually get a bit shakey and riled up during a gunfight, where you end up being careful, slow, and quiet with what you do, where you end up becoming fearful of the sounds you hear. Hearing someone on a microphone in a place like Balota is chilling, especially in the camp, as you know that there is someone there and you are in an area where getting ambushed is easy.

I was recently in a gunfight at Balota, was only passing through to get to a friend, when I was shot at by an M4A1. Every shot missed, and I got to cover. I had a mosin, and after a bit of nervously waiting for someone to pop out, I realized I wasn't the only one engaged in this. Another player was up on a hill, which I could see, firing at something. I had found myself in a gunfight consisting of 3 players, all hostile to each other. So I shot, and I'm pretty sure I took him down, if I didn't kill him he was probably hurting. The other player got me as I made a dash to get into the nearest house, and my back was sprayed with 5.56mm bullets and I found myself dead. It was quite the experience. Didn't care about my loot, had a lot of fun!

And that is what this game is about :)  The intense moments created by player interaction and reaction that really get your heart going.

It all comes down to freedom of choice. The moment you start trying to get other players to play the way you want them to play, you've lost the whole point of the game.

I try to stay away from Balota, especially if I'm alone. I'll go elsewhere for loot, but if I happen to go into Balota and get shot and killed, should I be mad? No. It was my own fault for being careless enough to go there in the first place.

• Like 1

What you don't want to do thought is place too much faith in the zombies. Any good player can escape 5 or 6 zombies. Plus if you have the ammo to Kos, whats stopping you putting rounds into zeds hunting you down?

Say you have an M4A1, a few magazines, and you encounter another player. He doesn't see you. He's looting carefully, his melee is the only thing out, and he doesn't APPEAR to have a gun. The problem is, the town you're in is full of zeds. You've been sneaking through, trying to use your melee quickly and quietly so you don't get yourself attention from another player.

Now, you could fire your M4A1, pump a bullet into this fellows skull, but the shots are going to help the zeds get to you, which is going to end up wasting your ammunition, time, and also reveal your position to other players.

Its a hard choice, isn't it?

• Like 1

If you've survived long enough to gather and hoard that much ammo, why not?  Besides, firing without a suppressor brings MORE Zombies.  You can evade them (speaking of when the AI and bugs are fixed).  But you have to RUN.  And if you watch videos of the mod, when people run from zombies they usually run into MORE zombies.

I honestly think people save ammo to kill players, not zombies.  I know I do.  I refuse to shoot zeds in all but the most dire situations.

Regardless, why would we punish players outside the norm of the game with some lame morality system?

Like rocket said..."this it your story".

- no karma, no bandit/hero nonsence, etc.

so why the fuck would they hinder my story??

dont worry people, this aint DayzMod

Say you have an M4A1, a few magazines, and you encounter another player. He doesn't see you. He's looting carefully, his melee is the only thing out, and he doesn't APPEAR to have a gun. The problem is, the town you're in is full of zeds. You've been sneaking through, trying to use your melee quickly and quietly so you don't get yourself attention from another player.

Now, you could fire your M4A1, pump a bullet into this fellows skull, but the shots are going to help the zeds get to you, which is going to end up wasting your ammunition, time, and also reveal your position to other players.

Its a hard choice, isn't it?

A few mags, lets say 2, that still 40 round min, anywhere up to 120. This means that you've got more than enough to put a shot or 2 into the player, and then clear up zombies. With the size of the towns, you can evade easily. 

I don't support a karma system, but it's easier to Kos than risk dying

If you've survived long enough to gather and hoard that much ammo, why not?  Besides, firing without a suppressor brings MORE Zombies.  You can evade them (speaking of when the AI and bugs are fixed).  But you have to RUN.  And if you watch videos of the mod, when people run from zombies they usually run into MORE zombies.

I honestly think people save ammo to kill players, not zombies.  I know I do.  I refuse to shoot zeds in all but the most dire situations.

Regardless, why would we punish players outside the norm of the game with some lame morality system?

Exactly. A system like that is borderline retarded.

Say I shoot someone, because I don't want him looting a building that may have a weapon or ammunition in it. I'm making sure that guy doesn't become a threat, and I'm securing that loot. Should I be punished for making that decision? No.

• Like 1

Karma is a horrible idea imo but i think it would be fun to have some sort of "bounty" system in place.  After all if killing players is what they are looking for, you might as well send other people looking for trouble his/her way.  (I have no idea how this could be implemented or work)

Edited by wordemup

A few mags, lets say 2, that still 40 round min, anywhere up to 120. This means that you've got more than enough to put a shot or 2 into the player, and then clear up zombies. With the size of the towns, you can evade easily. 

I don't support a karma system, but it's easier to Kos than risk dying

You do realize that this is Alpha, and the number of zombies and their pathing and stuff will be increased drastically as time goes on?

The zeds will become more of a threat, trust me.

You do realize that this is Alpha, and the number of zombies and their pathing and stuff will be increased drastically as time goes on?

The zeds will become more of a threat, trust me.

Of course I know it's alpha. I've watched all the devblogs, streams and other information telling me. Plus the huge titles saying its an alpha every time you log on.

No matter how many zombies, they are simply not a threat....

Why would we want a system that punishes players for their fucking playstyles?

Disclaimer: I'm not defending people who want a karma system, I personally play with the intent to kill anything that isn't a zombie and I agree with you that we don't need one I just saw a major flaw in this statement.

A karma system wouldn't punish you for your play style, it would even out the playing field for the two primary playstyles (KoS and carebearing). The KoS mindset has an advantage over the carebear mindset because the KoS player will always get the jump on the carebear. If characters had a way of recognizing this or maybe some sort of resistance to damage due to "heroism" then maybe that would level a playing field, making the initial jump less effective and giving time for the carebear to react and defend himself.

My theory is that everyone plays KoS unless they have no way of killing you in which they start to scream that they're friendly while you have your gun pointed at them.

• Like 1

No matter how many zombies, they are simply not a threat....

As updates are released, zombies will be a fucking threat. Right now they aren't because they are buggy and can be easily taken out with an axe. Your logic is flawed- As time goes on, zombies will become more of a problem that the players will have to deal with. If the developers weren't planning on this, they'd just remove the zombies and make this a gigantic player interaction survival arena.

As updates are released, zombies will be a fucking threat. Right now they aren't because they are buggy and can be easily taken out with an axe. Your logic is flawed- As time goes on, zombies will become more of a problem that the players will have to deal with. If the developers weren't planning on this, they'd just remove the zombies and make this a gigantic player interaction survival arena.

Ok well no need to flame,

But I guarantee that it will be just as easy....