Sign in to follow this  
Novalis

Removing all loot, adding 3k+ zombies

We absolutely plan to have more zombies. To cope with the current total dynamic entity count of over 10000 we have had to make a great deal of optimizations. If loot is completely removed, we can easily run 4000 zombies in our debug builds. 

Let us all spawn with a pistol, a mag, 50 rounds, a full belly and something to drink and eat - and let the zombie apocalypse break loose.  

Come on DayZ, show us what u got! Wipe the DB and let's do some experimental testing.   :D

Edited by Novalis
  • Like 8

actually sounds like a cool idea to get some real testing done - the real purpose of an alpha not using it as an excuse...

• Like 6

I wouldn't mind loosing my stuff too much, but I can imagine the uproar of the unnecessary wipe and people spawning with guns.

Complaint threads, soo many zombies? No loot to be found? What, have uninstalled & reinstalled game whats happening :'(

Maybe they could launch a couple private hive test servers like this.

But there is actually some people out there thinking this is a complete game to some peoples surprise.

Consider the size of Chernarus, then consider how "apocalyptic" 3000 static zombies would be. Instead of fighting like 3 or 4 as you do now, instead it would be like 10 or 12. Wow.

What is really needed is a smarter mechanism for spawning and maintaining zombies.

• Like 2

I agree with private hive servers running using this method for testing. Would be insanely awesome.

Consider the size of Chernarus, then consider how "apocalyptic" 3000 static zombies would be. Instead of fighting like 3 or 4 as you do now, instead it would be like 10 or 12. Wow.

What is really needed is a smarter mechanism for spawning and maintaining zombies.

If I'm not mistaken there is currently no mechanism for spawning and maintaining zombies at all. Zombies, just like loot, spawn only ones when the server restarts.

Of course spreading 3k zombies evenly over the entire map is useless. Let 2k of them "patrol-roam" between elektro and cherno all the time.  :)

As for the DB wipe, I have the feeling we are facing dozens of DB wipes in the near future. Players who think they are actually equipping their character for the beta or even release phase really should wake up.

However, I just had this idea when I read Rockets post about "easily run 4000 zombies" - I'm not dead serious, but I really wouldn't mind seeing it tested.

I don't think you guys understand that there's still testing going on. Rocket has stated it himself, that there's still closed testing to test new patches before releasing them to public.

These things were done before and they're trying out different things to test serverside performance.

Have some faith - the teams is not just sitting there doing nothing.

I don't think you guys understand that there's still testing going on. Rocket has stated it himself, that there's still closed testing to test new patches before releasing them to public.

These things were done before and they're trying out different things to test serverside performance.

I'm sure we all know that. I took this post to be a tongue in cheek type deal and not really serious. :)

Man people need to lighten up a little bit.

• Like 1

I'm sure we all know that. I took this post to be a tongue in cheek type deal and not really serious. :)

Man people need to lighten up a little bit.

Nah, man - that's just how I come across to people, because I'm German. I sound angry, though I am not. ;)

• Like 2

Shortly before the Christmas break, I seem to remember we were doing some testing on a closed server for something or other and just for shits and giggles (and science!) Hicks decided to double the number of zombies.

Seriously, it was a freaking nightmare. They spot you from miles away, when they aggro they seem to alert others around them, and you can't lose them in/around buildings because they'll just run right through them to get you. It took me nearly an hour to find an axe, because I couldn't loot anything due to the two-mile long conga line of pissed off zombies behind me. :p

Whilst it sounds fun, it was actually kinda frustrating, as it didn't matter how cautious you were, they'd spot you anyway.

+100

get off holidays dev's, lets go lets go lets go.

time to break the servers and give us a product worth $30

Shortly before the Christmas break, I seem to remember we were doing some testing on a closed server for something or other and just for shits and giggles (and science!) Hicks decided to double the number of zombies.

(..) it didn't matter how cautious you were, they'd spot you anyway.

Interesting, did he also temper with zombie awareness and made them somehow aggro more easily or just doubled their numbers?

How many players where on that server and how was the performance? (I hope the answer doesn't violate a potential NDA)

+100

get off holidays dev's, lets go lets go lets go.

time to break the servers and give us a product worth $30

Rocket never stated that the game is currently worth $30.00 matter of fact i saw a post that had rocket's response on it himself...

When asked is the game currently worth it?

Rocket's opinion???

My opinion

For the current game? No

For the price? No (it will stay this price for some time)

To see the game? No (you can watch streams)

To participate in development? Possibly

Overall, I would not recommend it. But I think in a few weeks, it might go from "possible" to "yes" on the last one.

They deserve a holiday I think we all are excited to see them return though 2014 is going to be a great year for DayZ and Rocket's dev team.

Howmany of those entities are god dam books an bibles.. Anyone even read any? Pens / paper? just add a billboard in each town to leave messages on..

I dont really think you understand, this would  be one of the things to do in an Alpha of a game to check if its working. Alpha is there to add new things try them out etc.

Let us all spawn with a pistol, a mag, 50 rounds, a full belly and something to drink and eat - and let the zombie apocalypse break loose.  

Come on DayZ, show us what u got! Wipe the DB and let's do some experimental testing.   :D

Sir, you are either ironic here. Or retarded. I suppose you are just plain retarded.

Howmany of those entities are god dam books an bibles.. Anyone even read any? Pens / paper? just add a billboard in each town to leave messages on..

Im gonna camp billboards and leave a message on it: Surprise motherfucker.

*You are Dead*

Edited by Rissou
  • Like 1

Rocket never stated that the game is currently worth $30.00 matter of fact i saw a post that had rocket's response on it himself...

When asked is the game currently worth it?

Rocket's opinion???

They deserve a holiday I think we all are excited to see them return though 2014 is going to be a great year for DayZ and Rocket's dev team.

thanks im new to the forum and have not yet read that...

i know dude, and to me its worth $30 atm. they had christmas, and near years day to recover, the end...time to give the people some updates.

This is fucking retarded. 3k zombies is nothing on a map this size specially when they aren't respawning as it is. If you want a shitty PVE zombie experience there are loads of mods for Arma 2 that do that and much better than this stupid idea.