Sign in to follow this  
ZedsDeadBaby

In my opinion, the current compass is an example of over-design.

Agreed, don't fix it if it ain't broken(old compass was better imo).

Shouldn't that read "Badly Damaged" rather than "broken"?

I can't speak for the old implementation as I never played the mod, but the way it is in the SA is very realistic. You 'shoot an azimuth' by aiming the compass in the direction of interest while holding it steady and away from the body/gear so as to avoid interference. Honestly the animation is very similar to what I would do when in the service. Doesn't have to be that way, but from my perspective, it is very 'realistic.'

This definitely this. Try using a compass at a full sprint or even jogging with any accuracy. Good luck with that. The idea is that you have to put your gun away and focus on the compass anyway or at least that is what I got from this implementation of it.

Lol I'm bout to blow all of your worlds apparently.

All you have to do is keep the compass high in your inventory, like in your shirt. Always keep it open by right clicking it and pressing open.. OMG what's that other option?!

That's right, inspect. Try it out and check out your new high def compass. The best part is you can keep sprinting while doing this.

Try it, you won't be disappointed. When I came into this thread I was like wtf is the problem? Honestly I didn't even know you could look at it in your hands.

Cool, must admit I didn't know this either, thanks.

The current compass is nice but it's ruined because of the slow animation/weapon changing system. When that gets addressed I'll be very happy about it. I really like the feeling that you need to watch it.

• Like 1

Oh what would i pay to have a compass like the one in the game.

Needle points rigidly to north, no wavering at all, not even when running. You can literaly read it in a second.

Nothing interferes with the compass, absolutely nothing. Are you below high voltage powerlines? No problem sir, i´m magial compass who doesn´t give a shit. And that gun you´re carrying, the one that normaly could cause all sorts of errors on my reading, well that might aswell not exist, not a problem sir.

Only downside is that the compass prefers to have two hands touching it, and that´s a small price to pay.

I agree it is a bit slow to take it out and have a look at it. But seriously. There is no problem with it.

Why do people want back the old one? So you can run, gun, and pick a course at the same time? Well, that's just stupid. Sit down, chill the fuck out, look at it for 3 seconds, pick a landmark, move on!

And better textures? The current textures are crisp as fuck. I love it!

• Like 2

haha ya well said OP.

just wait for GPS, you will have to stop, sit down, insert batteries, place in hand, open manual, read directions (in russian), turn on, calibrate, etc..

• Like 1

OP is right somehow. Why do you have to put your gun onto your back when you just want to have a quick view on the compass which can be stored in your trouser's pocket.

Usually I don't like such things just appearing on the screen as if displayed on a HUD. But the thing with packing away your rifle and having to take it back isn't that great as well.

The funny thing to me is that people keep saying that you can put it in your hands and hit space to see it. That has never worked for me.

I can put it in my hands, and obviously I won't be able to see it. I hit space and now I can barely see the edge of the compass, but none of the working parts of it. In order to actually see the direction I have to hit space and alt look down at it. That's what annoys me the most. I don't know if I'm just doing something wrong there, though.

DayZ-2013-12-17-08-41-37-99-1024x576.jpg

If you do not see this with your compass in your hand, press space.

I can't read the degrees for shit... I use them all the time with my squad when in firefights.. I understand and get immersion/realism.. but people need to take a step back and remember this is a video game. If you want real life features.. step outside. I think there are MUCH bigger concerns in dayz than shitting/pissing functions, pulling out your compass and stuff.. it's a video game..

I really don't understand why people have a hard time reading the compass(assuming everyone is making sure to press space), I can quickly glance at it and put it away, I don't need to adjust my view to see the compass.

Unless you mean adjusting from third person to first person to see it, in which case, why argue about realism?(Not to you specifically, just to everyone in here).

What's quickly? holstering and unholstering your rifle alone takes something like 6 seconds (combined). If you're in 3d person perspective than yes, it takes even longer.

Waaa? Compas hit key see tree or landmark in distance run there

I prefer the mechanics of the new to the old onscreen static one.

That space-thing only works when your space-key is bound to "lower/rise" weapon. My "space" e.g. is for turning the head...

New compass is great. Think about it, only thing you really loose is the ability to shoot and see it at the same time. So it takes some time to access it but that's realistic. I couldn't IRL, take a compass from my pocket, take an accurate bearing, and then put it away again in 3000ms. More like 10-20. If you are using 1 hand for compass then you couldn't fire a rifle with one hand anyways.

The funny thing to me is that people keep saying that you can put it in your hands and hit space to see it. That has never worked for me.

I can put it in my hands, and obviously I won't be able to see it. I hit space and now I can barely see the edge of the compass, but none of the working parts of it. In order to actually see the direction I have to hit space and alt look down at it. That's what annoys me the most. I don't know if I'm just doing something wrong there, though.

haveto bein 1st person...

Ok...? I'm not sure how this addresses my issue. I guess I'll have to find a compass in-game and take a screenshot since people aren't understanding my problem.

haveto bein 1st person...

Obviously. When I'm in first person with the compass in my hand and raised by hitting spacebar, I cannot see the compass without holding alt and looking down.

Most of the times i dont even need or have a compas iil just lok up in the sky and watch where the clouds are going and if im right they always will go east and after that its pretty easy to now where all other directions are

I can't speak for the old implementation as I never played the mod, but the way it is in the SA is very realistic. You 'shoot an azimuth' by aiming the compass in the direction of interest while holding it steady and away from the body/gear so as to avoid interference. Honestly the animation is very similar to what I would do when in the service. Doesn't have to be that way, but from my perspective, it is very 'realistic.'

Yes, seems pretty realistic to me. I have extensive map&compas experience being in the army. You can't be running along look down at your compas and get a direction, it won't be stable to give a reading

Ok...? I'm not sure how this addresses my issue. I guess I'll have to find a compass in-game and take a screenshot since people aren't understanding my problem.

Obviously. When I'm in first person with the compass in my hand and raised by hitting spacebar, I cannot see the compass without holding alt and looking down.

Maybe it's your strange FOV bro?

I thought the obvious problem with the compass is the inability to read the numbered bearings very well. Isn't this what the op is partly referring to?

Why five pages of horseshit defining how to hold a compass?

I think it's hilarious the primary complaints are "I used it in combat". I hope all of you making this argument realize that nobody outside of tank crews and naval officers/crews use cardinal degrees to navigate or identify targets. While I won't pretend to have been in the military (because I wasn't) I can safely say with confidence that nobody in the middle of a firefight is going to whip out their compass and point out a cardinal degree to their buddies for targets.

In fact I'm sure most conversations in combat about where targets are go something along the lines of...

"ENEMY SNIPER THIRD FLOOR OF THIS BUILDING *gesture with hand to building*"

"WHICH WINDOW?"

"SECOND WINDOW FROM THE LEFT"

RATTTATATTATATATATATATATATATATATATATAT

For the people complaining about using a compass to actually navigate... Uh yeah, that's how compasses work. You hold them as flat on the horizontal axis of the earth (given that the compass itself is a flat wheel with an arrow pointing upward with magnets that make the arrow or wheel move accordingly) and given that the compasses we've got in game are old timey ones rather than the new fangled military bullshart ones we had in the Mod...

Yeah it pretty much just amounts to "quit your QQing and deal with it".

• Like 2

Theres more to a compass then seeing N/W/E/S there are barrings that in the current system are a pain in the ass to read. they need to change it kind of like 90% of the things in this game at the moment.

Haha I cant wait to see if they make it so you can run around like a lost traveler with the compass out and beat people with it.... I cant be the ONLY one anticipating this?? =D

Oh, sorry. Thought the video speaks for himself. IT IS THE FOV.

Edited by NoCheats