Isaaq

"It's an alpha."

So, I just thought this was worth highlighting since it's such a common theme where someone suggests just about anything.

A very large portion of people on this forum seem to think that because the game is in alpha, people shouldn't talk about bugs - or request new things to be implemented because end game easily achievable.

There are two main parts to an alpha - bug fixing and feature implementation.

This means that assuming people aren't telling the dev's their ass holes and crying about bugs, they can't be had a go at for posting about them. I've seen 'This really needs to be fixed' and people replying with 'OMG, ALPHA, SHUT UP' essentially.

That's counter-productive and people SHOULD be talking about bugs and requesting them to be fixed. The devs need to know which people consider the most important and most dire so that they can focus on the ones that affect the most people.

The second point of an alpha is a more tricky one. As I've studied game design - and actively design games as a hobby, I can tell you, the normal development timeline of a game is as follows.

Early Alpha - Very core functionality. Loot systems, combat, storage, basic travel and even basic bases should be focused on. Focus on game breaking bugs and the worse glitches, such as no-clipping zombies (and people.) The functionality should be a priority during alpha because as more functionality is added, more bugs emerge.

Late Alpha -  Generally, at the end of an alpha, all PLANNED content is implemented. The game will still be fairly buggy, but everything planned should exist in the game. The functionality in the game should be at a playable level by this point - meaning that stuff should need no major changes.

Beta - During Beta, the focus is almost entirely on bug fixing and optimization. While things like multi-core servers come under core functionality, there are many other small aspects like perfecting draw distances to make the game run smoother.

During Beta, some features may still be added, but these were not planned from the start.

Final - At this point, the game should be finished. There may still be a few bugs kicking around - and smaller bits of functionality can still be added, so the occasional patch will still be released, but all of the major work is done.

'DLC' style content - In the case of games like DayZ, the community often drives for new functionality to be added. It can be as simple as nerfing or adding new weapons, or as large as entire cities being added to the game. Either way, this stuff can be done after the game is released but again, stuff people expected to be implemented when the game was released should be completely finished long ago.

Minecraft is an exception which people often use. Games like that can afford to be developed completely differently due to the style of the game. DayZ however, does not suit that format. Whatsoever.

So, what's my point here?

When you see someone saying they want tents - or they want vehicles, don't jump up with 'it's an alpha.' Because that's what alpha is for. It's for adding stuff like that, which are ABSOLUTELY core functionality, even if their later-core stuff.

Telling people to shut up with requests because it's alpha stunts the growth of a game. Instead, talk about the features they are suggesting specifically. Improve on them - or explain why they wouldn't work. Everything should be talked about at this point - telling people not to complain about certain things is not what an alpha is for.

Edited for slightly better wording, removed some repetition. May make it a little more concise later.

Edited by Isaaq
  • Like 30

This has been beaten to death already, friend. No amount of rational discussion is going to quiet the hordes. Best to just ignore the kiddies.

• Like 8

Way too fucking long didn't read past the first couple of sentences.

A very large portion of people on this forum seem to think that because the game is in alpha, people shouldn't complain about bugs - or request new things to be implemented because the game gets 'boring' very quickly.

They SHOULDN'T complain about bugs. They should report them, get over it, and move on to finding other bugs. It's an alpha and I don't know why "IT'S AN ALPHA" needed its own entire thread when there are plenty of people that point that fact out in every other thread.

Now everyone give me your beans, rate me 5 beans on my profile to give meaning to my life, and make fun of caterpillars and their obvious disabilities.

• Like 1

"It's an alpha!" is still a viable reply when someone is responding with "It isn't in the game yet because it's an alpha!"; plenty of people have demanded features that are clearly highlighted in the list of planned features; telling them that it's an alpha and those features are coming is an effective, one-post means of politely telling internet newbies to stfu and gtfo.

Edited by Applejaxc
  • Like 3

Your definition of alpha, beta, final and update is really utopian. 

... I just hope, you will be right ;)

Its an alpha.

People should stop making the same 5 threads, see this one, 10 times an hour and instead add to the old ones or start some fresh discussion. Beyond being a bore to read the forums because of this, it shows little more than the people here playing as 'alpha testers' clearly should have listened when they were told repeatedly not to buy the game until full release. Not to mention the point that 'its an ALPHER' is more than adequate to cover 90% of all topics posted.

Edited by RaxUK

Don't worry. I think the devs know how to focus on constructive posts suggesting stuff (even on alpha times) and ignore the other white noise amidst a thread.

I don't know how many of the dev team worked on the Mod version of DayZ, but I remember reading various suggestions in the early days of DayZ forums, and many of these suggestions actually came in later patches.

They are among us, and they are watching what we're saying.

• Like 2

Way too fucking long didn't read past the first couple of sentences.

They SHOULDN'T complain about bugs. They should report them, get over it, and move on to finding other bugs. It's an alpha and I don't know why "IT'S AN ALPHA" needed its own entire thread when there are plenty of people that point that fact out in every other thread.

Now everyone give me your beans, rate me 5 beans on my profile to give meaning to my life, and make fun of caterpillars and their obvious disabilities.

If you're not going to bother reading what I wrote, I don't care for your reply.

"It's an alpha!" is still a viable reply when someone is responding with "It isn't in the game yet because it's an alpha!"; plenty of people have demanded features that are clearly highlighted in the list of planned features; telling them that it's an alpha and those features are coming is an effective, one-post means of politely telling internet newbies to stfu and gtfo.

I'm not arguing with that. I'm talking more about the people who, whenever anyone says they want anything, they simply reply with 'it's an alpha.' Their suggesting things to be implemented. Their not saying 'This should be in the game already, wtf.' Their saying that they would like something to be in the game - and this is the time for them to do that.

Your definition of alpha, beta, final and update is really utopian. 

... I just hope, you will be right ;)

Well, that's what it was before people started abusing the system... I hope I'm right too in the case of DayZ. So much damned potential, I almost feel like Palpatine every time I open the planned features list.

• Like 1

If you're not going to bother reading what I wrote, I don't care for your reply.

In some cases, brevity is worth a can of bean's weight in gold.

I'll come back to this thread when its in Beta and has more to offer me as a consumer.

• Like 2

There was big square block with loads or writing on it (did you read it)?

There was a big box under it with the words "I understand", Did you click it?

If so then your a gimp, If not then you have nevr played dayz.

My conclusion is Your a gimp!

The issue is there are so many people saying, "I know it's alpha but..." and then go on to COMPLAIN about something that is explained by the fact that the game is in alpha.

People don't know how to have a discussion and be constructive. They only seem to know how to complain about things. I don't see people getting flamed for casually bringing up bugs or asking if anyone else has experienced something. It's people whining and moaning about issues that go without saying.

EDIT: And just to go along with an example you used, we don't need threads with people saying "WE NEED VEHICLES!!!" Obviously vehicles are coming, this has already been confirmed. Quit spamming the forums with useless posts about things that are on their way. BUT if you want to talk about what kind of vehicles there should be for example, or how many, or have discussions along those lines then by all means. "The game needs vehicles" is stupid and pointless.

Edited by AnarchyBrownies
  • Like 2

The issue is there are so many people saying, "I know it's alpha but..." and then go on to COMPLAIN about something that is explained by the fact that the game is in alpha.

People don't know how to have a discussion and be constructive. They only seem to know how to complain about things. I don't see people getting flamed for casually bringing up bugs or asking if anyone else has experienced something. It's people whining and moaning about issues that go without saying.

Just gonna erm...

There was big square block with loads or writing on it (did you read it)?

There was a big box under it with the words "I understand", Did you click it?

If so then your a gimp, If not then you have nevr played dayz.

My conclusion is Your a gimp!

Okay, so he's not being a dick because I'm talking about a bug, but that's the kind of thing I see a lot of. I agree that people who are complaining should stfu. But when people react like him, I honestly couldn't care less what they have to say.

Just because you haven't personally seen it doesn't mean it's not there. I've never seen a Walkie Talkie in game, but apparently they exist.

I wasn't even complaining about the game in this thread - I was telling people to stop crying about people pointing out bugs/requesting features... Yet I've still had people cry alpha over it. I know some have been sarcastic... But emphasis on some.

Edited by Isaaq

People don't know how to have a discussion and be constructive. They only seem to know how to complain about things scream "ALPHER" and dismiss others.

• Like 3

If you want the internet to bother reading what you wrote, you need to write in concise terms.

• Like 2

"It's an alpha."

Shit i never looked at it like that before ;)

Informative post :D For those who don't know..

Just gonna erm...

Go on...

How is a thread from someone saying they want vehicles of any use?

It's an alpha still applies in that you can't expect all the features all at once, which you describe in your post. Who cares if you want vehicles? Why make a thread about it if it's already confirmed that they're coming? Again, if you wanted to talk about specifics regarding the development of cars in the game then that makes sense. But people come up with threads talking about these things ("Takes too long to get around") like they're not going to be dealt with. "It's an alpha, be patient," is completely applicable.

Your example of tents is different because I don't know if tents have been confirmed or not, or whether they just plan to go to a full on base style and ignore tents. So if someone came along and said they want tents (or any unconfirmed feature) then you're right, "It's an alpha" doesn't apply.

And while you can talk about bugs on the forums, there's a place to report them and follow how they're being dealt with. Coming here and complaining about a buggy game is another "who cares?" moment that rightfully generates plenty of "ALPHER" responses. The game's buggy, excellent observation, thank you for contributing this wonderful new thread that no one has made before.

telling people not to complain about certain things is not what an alpha is for.

No. Alpha is not for "complaining." You don't need any bit of education in game development to understand that complaining is reactionary and not constructive. That's an issue with communication. Alpha is for gathering feedback that helps drive the production of a game. You can be negative and critical in a productive way that will generate discussion beyond "It's an alpha." I completely fault the whiners who come on here who bought the game without reading and understanding what they were getting into. 

• Like 1

No. Alpha is not for "complaining." You don't need any bit of education in game development to understand that complaining is reactionary and not constructive. That's an issue with communication. Alpha is for gathering feedback that helps drive the production of a game. You can be negative and critical in a productive way that will generate discussion beyond "It's an alpha." I completely fault the whiners who come on here who bought the game without reading and understanding what they were getting into. 

Not to mention there is proper places for bug reporting, bringing up bugs on the forum isn't going to help a whole lot.

• Like 1

The mod was created almost two years ago, it's still an alpha. Even it was abandoned it should be at least in beta stage... I believe the same thing will happen to SA. So far we can all see that it's not a separate game, created from scratch, but just a mod for ARMA3 which engine is not prepared to run a mmo zombie apocalypse game. Devs are experiencing the same problems Rocket was a year, or year an a half ago. Something completely different was promised, just to remind. Moreover it was promised to be ready and playable a year ago! December 2012! A year later, we still have an alpha... The biggest issue is that even it's a mod it's being advertised as a completely different game which has to be bought separately. In my opinion it's unfair. Honestly I don't believe that this project will be ever completed. I don't know the reasons behind all of this plus i don't want to point fingers, because i have been enjoying DayZ mod since it's very beginning, but clearly there is something wrong with DayZ developing model.

Edited by paney
  • Like 1

The mod was created almost two years ago, it's still an alpha. Even it was abandoned it should be at least in beta stage... I believe the same thing will happen to SA. So far we can all see that it's not a separate game, created from scratch, but just a mod for ARMA3 which engine is not prepared to run a mmo zombie apocalypse game. Devs are experiencing the same problems Rocket was a year, or year an a half ago. Something completely different was promised, just to remind. Moreover it was promised to be ready and playable a year ago! December 2012! A year later, we still have an alpha... The biggest issue is that even it's a mod it's being advertised as a completely different game which has to be bought separately. In my opinion it's unfair. Honestly I don't believe that this project will be ever completed. I don't know the reasons behind all of this plus i don't want to point fingers, because i have been enjoying DayZ mod since it's very beginning, but clearly there is something wrong with DayZ developing model.

Forget all that

A new mask is coming and Im going to look so boss

So, I just thought this was worth highlighting since it's such a common theme where someone suggests just about anything.

A very large portion of people on this forum seem to think that because the game is in alpha, people shouldn't complain about bugs - or request new things to be implemented because the game gets 'boring' very quickly.

Constructive feedback and suggestions are highly encouraged around here. There are numerous thriving threads based on that concept and no, they're not just rabid fanboys yes-manning everything.

It's when the 500th thread of the day complaining about combat loggers ruining your gameplay is posted or when people start critically reviewing the game and asking dumb questions like "why did I just pay 30 bucks for an unfinished game?" Which is stated very clearly on the product page, website and in game...that's when people reply, "it's an alpha."

And a lot of people also seem to forget the point of alpha (see link in my sig) is not to bring you the most enjoyable game experience ever right now but to test the game, provide feedback, report bugs, etc.

I've been in alphas where if all you did is play the game, didn't provide usable constructive feedback and report bugs and instead just complained about some aspect of the game or other players ruining your experience...you actually got kicked from the alpha. I'm not saying they should do that here, but just something to think about.