Sign in to follow this  
onebadbasterd

Okay here's the problem : Gear Hoarding

Gear.

Yeah , GEAR !

Your gear , my gear , his gear , their gear.

STOP THINKING ABOUT GEAR!

This aint World of Warcraft where you grind for your Gear.

This aint a number game.

This aint a competition for the best gear.

If you guys only play for the gear , then why play?

Get any other shooter and shoot.

DayZ is a ''sandbox'' , you are supposed to create a story , YOUR story.

BUT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

It's easier to just get geared , get killed then go the forums and rage that you lost your gear.

Isnt it?

I just find it hilarious that most the new players think they will survive for 365days without dying and losing their gear.

I dont think that most people really get what this game is about and from my personal experience, people acts like baboons throwing shit at each other.

Until people understand and play not for the gear but for the gameplay and social interactions , then this game is going to be awesome.

Until then the baboons will make this community look bad.

• Like 14

I have absolutely no problem with dying by the hands of a player and losing my gear, but it's absolutely crap that I lose ALL of my gear randomly when a server restarts; with no possible patches in sight for another month or so for a problem that has existed since day one.

I have absolutely no problem with dying by the hands of a player and losing my gear, but it's absolutely crap that I lose ALL of my gear randomly when a server restarts; with no possible patches in sight for another month or so for a problem that has existed since day one.

Dude one word :

Alpha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNsrK6P9QvI

Edited by MSFOneBadBastard
  • Like 4

In DayZ, all you have is gear. Gear and your vehicles, if talking about the mod. No matter how fair or even an engagement it was, people don't like everything being taken from them, so they come here to rave about the injustice of the world.

• Like 2

Okay. Then just play without looting. Just head to the forest and sit there for a couple of hours until you die. Or, you could head to Balota and talk to the other freshspawns.

Hell, I think we should remove loot from servers. It's annoying.

• Like 1

The whole point of an Alpha is to release patches.

There is an extent to which the excuse "Alpha" covers.

Like I said on a previous post, people said "Alpha" for ArmA 3, and that turned out to be a pile of shit. ( I am not calling DayZ a pile of shit, before anybody tries turning the words around, I am using ArmA 3 as an analogy to explain how people always hide behind the word "Alpha" no matter what bug is reported )

Edited by ColinM9991

Anyone new to the game is naturally going to get overly invested in their gear until they hit that breaking point of realizing the fragile state this game puts them in.

This is why 99.9999% of games avoid permadeath and PvP-Looting, because people get stressed over it.

Personally, I was pretty pissed the first time my "fully geared" avatar died, especially when I spent hours hunting the stuff down, but now I'm to the point where I just say a colorful adjective or two, go look out the window for a minute to realize it wasn't really me that just died because I glitched off a ladder, or hit my direct communication key by accident while fighting 4 zombies where my last statement to them was "awasawaawssssawdddd", or shot in the face by a guy with no pants asking for food.

I love how this game has no way of identifying people, no scoreboards for kills, no global messages showing how Tweedle Dee just killed Tweedle Dumb with a screwdriver....

You just survive until you don't.

We don't need posts blasting people for getting upset, the game itself will root them out or make them stronger.

Oh and for those keeping score at home, the only time I used the word "aint" in this post was just then to show that it is possible to do. Please keep your baboon dung to yourselves, thank you.

• Like 6

I died the other day when someone hit me over the back of the head with a fireman's axe. I had loads of gear on me and ammo. Yet I QQ'd on mumble to my friends about losing my can opener :(

• Like 3

Can't say this has ever happened to me but being as it's an alpha, losing my gear due to a bug is one of my last worries.

Cant really hoard gear, the backpacks and clothing have a limited amount of space, once it's filled then your done until you either consume or use the items...

I have lost so much gear but its always fun to start with a fresh spawn and gear up, get my character healthy and interact with friendly players (with a handful of betrayal :P)

The thing is, looting is THE main mechanic of the game, second to that are the survival mechanics. Also humans get attached to gear, its how we work, once we have something, even a can of beans, you feel bad if that is stripped away from you, and especially if the reason is something that feels unfair. Things like glitches, falling off roofs when you didn't do shit, breaking your legs when you step off a 2 inch high wall, or a one shot to the face from a random location. These events feel cheap and unfair and is cause of allot of complains.

You are talking about creating a story? well there isn't much stuff in the form of mechanics to create that story besides, collect gear and survive. We don't have any vehicles to repair, we don't have any tents that you can store loot in, so you feel more at rest when you walk around with a character. We don't have bases that we can build, etc. There are allot of mechanics that are coming, but in its current state, I think its a fair play to go for the loot because without that, there isn't much to dayz at the moment.

Edited by EVIL9000
  • Like 1

Gear.

Yeah , GEAR !

This aint a number game.

There is absolutely nothing else to play for right now. No vehicles, no base. Lots of features missing. So seeking gear and a M4A1 is the only goal.

The only quarrel with losing gear for me is when I get killed even though I knew I shouldn't have i.e. I make a stupid mistake and pay the price. Otherwise I don't really care about gear. However that is not to say gear isn't important or should not be cared about at all, as looting is a good portion of the game and without it you cannot survive.

Who really cares about gear when it is so easy to get? Just yesterday i gave my friend M4 (+silencer, bipod, acog & m68, MP buttstock, ris, flashlight and around 6 coupled mags.). He was playing SA for the first time and i knew that i can find Mosin in berezino, which is a way superior gun anyways.

As long as i get healthy status in the first 30minutes, i don't care about anything. Firefighters axes come in plenty, you can literally find multiple in the first town after the shore. That is like the best personal defense weapon there is. Most of the players cannot shoot for a shit with M4 and they mostly miss, and while they are running away and reloading new mag, you can either run away or charge them.

Besides, there is not that many objects to loot anyways, so why do people get stressed over it?

I actually think that at this stage, it is more fun to die for time to time, just so you can start again. Just because once i have all black gear, hunters backpack, gun, food, something drinks and some bandages, i know i can survive for just about as long as i want, but without any goal. 

I've visited all the new places with my friend, and we've had almost every loot there is in the game, so there is not even that going on. North is so dead anyways, seems like server hoppers are the only ones who visit there. I can be standing in middle of NWAF with my middle finger up for hours and i bet that i die because of dehydration faster than i would die by another survivor. 

But the bottom line is that loot is basically worthless at this stage. Ofcourse everything changes when there is a lot more weapons, usefull gear etc. as long as surviving is harder than it is at mod (where you get a water bottle, matches and hatchet and you'll live for ever). 

Edited by csharp
  • Like 1

Gear.

Yeah , GEAR !

My story is am a pristine geared up individual :-)

Gear.

Yeah , GEAR !

This aint a number game.

It's easier to just get geared , get killed then go the forums and rage that you lost your gear.

Isnt it?

I just find it hilarious that most the new players think they will survive for 365days without dying and losing their gear.

I dont think that most people really get what this game is about and from my personal experience, people acts like baboons throwing shit at each other.

Until people understand and play not for the gear but for the gameplay and social interactions , then this game is going to be awesome.

give me a goal exept having the best gear at the moment, their is none untill they give us cars and base building.

Gear.

Yeah , GEAR !

This aint a number game.

Isnt it?

ALL THERE IS IS GEAR AND PVP ATM. I understand its alpha but this is ALL there is right now. If you dont participate in any of these 2 which is about probably 80% of the game atm than it gets rather boring. I know its an alpha but really what else is there atm? lol

I have no problem losing my gear, i'll eventually get it back or better gear, What the OP seems to forget is even in the Mod gear was central to progression and to survive against other players so don't expect any different in the SA, As of right now we are Alphaing the bare bones central mechanics of the game and things will be added progressively. As of right now all there is to do is Explore,Gear Up,Squad Up,Help People,Kill People.

There is no way you or anyone on this forum can stop the whiners from raging about losing thier gear, they'll learn eventually or they go play CoD/BF and then the players who will stick around will help form the game into what the Mod was +more.

hoarding? There's no way you can hoard without some kind of storage. I think you mean "getting overattached to your gear". That being said, I hope they add tents soon, I love hoarding. Basically I always ran around with crap gear because I wanted to stash everything away safely. ^^

Edited by Ratiasu

Gear isn't an issue. You should always be looking to upgrade in one way or another. It just makes sense in an apocalypse scenario. Better gear equals better chance of survival.

I will agree that hoarding is an issue though. It removes the mechanic of losing all your gear. Dieing becomes just an inconvenience instead of a major blow. When you can get killed and be fully kitted out again in 15-20 minutes due to having a hoard of gear stashed away in a tent you get the current situation we have in the alpha (due to easily available gear near coast) and what happened in the mod. Nothing but pvp. 

What I'm hoping is the gear degradation system (worn, damaged, ruined) will not only be based upon use or being hit with a weapon, but will also happen over time. Thus making hoarding not nearly as effective as it was in the mod.

Solution: When you die (if tents are introduced) your tent goes up in flames :D

• Like 1

As others said it before, it is Alpha. You were warned before buying that shit like this might happen what the f**k is your problem?