redfirm

Removing chat function sucks for deaff players

Wow, the insensitivity to disabled people around here is disgusting.

Yeah,you all are monsters!We also need a system for deaf AND blind people!And people without arms!

Really,just because i don't want to have something really annoying to help 1 in 1000 playing a game that just isn't for them doesn't mean i don't care for disabled people. If it is easy to implement without bothering people sure,why not,but nothing more.

• Like 1

I have a use for Global Chat and thats only because i do play DayZ with a deaf person. It's the only way we can get in contact until we meet up so we can use direct. They can't use teamspeak simply because they cannot hear me. 

Steam overlay can't be relied on unfortunately but as much as i respect realism and what the game is aiming for i do also see that it should cater for gamers with disabilities but we all know sidechat can get to be rather a pain especially with all the troll's about.

In my opinion players should have an option to select sidechat enabled in the options allowing them to use it or not. Then people can play regardless. 

None is removing chat function, the global chat was not for this game anyway... doesnt matter who, how and what is what. Direct chat is to stay, people that need global chat will find other ways.. some use ts/mumble/vent, those who cant use alternative which is steam etc chat. Its no biggie.

People must realize that you cannot think every people with their issues when you do or design something, always has to see the bigger picture. Maybe they can enable "global chat" to go through steam friend in the same server if they must, then it woudnt hurt other peoples experience.
But they cant do something if 0.5% of the people need something, doesnt matter what the problem is.. hearing, seeing etc... its harsh but it is what it is.

I agree that there should be a solution for deaf players. Global chat is not the way forward at all, not just because everyone finds it annoying, but it would also put said players at a disadvantage. The kind of communication the OP is talking about, I assume is the kind of communication non-deaf people use TS for. Broadcasting tactical information, details of location and stuff to all people on the server is making huge bait out of yourself.

Has anyone checked to see if there is any software out there that would do the trick?

I have a use for Global Chat and thats only because i do play DayZ with a deaf person. It's the only way we can get in contact until we meet up so we can use direct. They can't use teamspeak simply because they cannot hear me. 

Steam overlay can't be relied on unfortunately but as much as i respect realism and what the game is aiming for i do also see that it should cater for gamers with disabilities but we all know sidechat can get to be rather a pain especially with all the troll's about.

In my opinion players should have an option to select sidechat enabled in the options allowing them to use it or not. Then people can play regardless. 

How is the Steam chat unreliable?

How is the Steam chat unreliable?

It can be an issue for some. It sometimes bugs out causing my game to crash. But not just on SA, going back to the mod that i don't use Steam for it just isn't an option,

You can still use direct text chat? I use it all the time. There is no server wide audio chat in the game anyway and it was usually bannable to use it in the mod version on 90% of the servers.

What he said.

There just isn't anything server wide.  But you can still type to those who are local.

It pisses me off so much when someone gets called an insensitive monster because they spoke the truth and were realistic about something.

Some people just can't handle the truth!

• Like 1

Nothing in this thread prior to your post qualifies as "insensitive." I would love to know which posts in particular you're referring to.

Simply being pragmatic is not the same thing as being insensitive. All I've seen thus far is people pointing out that it's very impractical to imagine a game finding a way to cater to deaf players in any and all situations. Right now, video games are almost entirely limited to two senses - sight and sound. You're dealing with a demographic that literally has 50% of the available human interface options; so it seems a little disingenuous to use their situation to discuss the availability of global general chat, especially given that direct chat works just fine and so these deaf players who "literally cannot communicate" actually don't even exist.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 1

Karmas a bitch and its going to bite most of you on the arse!

Why aren't the people in the pro-camp getting any bad karma for wanting to introduce a feature that would bother a lot of people so a only few can have a better experience? Why are the people that want a feature to increase the fun for a few, yet decrease the fun for a vast, vast, vast majority right here?

Seems more like a discussion between deaf people and Rocket, Rocket's already stated he's positively inclined to listen to special needs. It not like it's going to delay the game by several months asking the different team to give this a little consideration, once in a while, though out development.

Umm, they're making valid points about it. Global chat is not going to happen, there are many many many many many communication programs to use (steam overlay to talk to your teammates from far away?), as mean and insensitive as it sounds...sound is a very important part of this game and not being able to hear is going to cause you many other problems (gunshots, zombies, reloads, ect..). It's very hard to justify catering to a very small part of the player base when other things are more important.

How do you even play DayZ if you're deaf? You can't hear someone walking up on you, you couldn't even tell if someone fired a 7.62 bullet right past your head.

Edited by Kingfury4

How do you even play DayZ if you're deaf? You can't hear someone walking up on you, you couldn't even tell if someone fired a 7.62 bullet right past your head.

Shhh, don't give them the idea to introduce sound cues which everyone would use after a while since it would be an advantage.

Hello there

Remember deafness does not equal 100pc no hearing. Just FYI.

Rgds

LoK

Nothing insensitive about pointing out the importance of sound in a game like this imo. Either way, global chat is not the way to go at all. People without hearing disabilities do not have an in game way to communicate with others on the map and have to rely on external software as well. I realize voice communication via, say, Skype is much easier but that is always going to be the case vs typing.

Another game I play is kinda old school isometric turn based blah blah blah. In the suggestion forum one day someone brought up changing the UI color, so colorblind people could see it easier. Once the retard playerbase finally got it through their head that colorblind didn't mean "Only sees in grayscale", the surprising number of people that had a lot of problems seeing green got the option to configure the UI color in the next update.

Point being, it's worth talking about... but I don't think side chat is a good solution. Part of the onus is on the person with the disability for sure, but I have no idea what options are available for deaf people in regards to gaming. I've never considered it.

I'm heavily against Global chat, but I'm all for any suggestion that actually makes sense. Maybe we will get lucky and get some input from someone who actually has a hearing impairment.

What about implementing a "group chat" where you can grp up with your friends for example but just for the chat not for better party play regarding visible benefits.

And about not being able to "hear" as deaf pl where shots came from, google sonic radar.

Another game I play is kinda old school isometric turn based blah blah blah. In the suggestion forum one day someone brought up changing the UI color, so colorblind people could see it easier. Once the retard playerbase finally got it through their head that colorblind didn't mean "Only sees in grayscale", the surprising number of people that had a lot of problems seeing green got the option to configure the UI color in the next update.

Point being, it's worth talking about... but I don't think side chat is a good solution. Part of the onus is on the person with the disability for sure, but I have no idea what options are available for deaf people in regards to gaming. I've never considered it.

I'm heavily against Global chat, but I'm all for any suggestion that actually makes sense. Maybe we will get lucky and get some input from someone who actually has a hearing impairment.

It might just be the assumption that if a developer takes a break from "FIX YOUR GODDAMN GAME" to work on colorblind color schemes for an hour, it will delay all development on everything else permanently.

Well, Dallas. People are often retarded, and it just simply cannot be helped.

If they get upset, it's their problem. Not ours.

:D

Hi.

I don't like global chat either, but in a server I was on last night I could hear people voice chatting with a seriously annoying accent(noway was it direct, nobody was around me). Oddly, their accents made them sound like deaf people. How's that for immersion breaking.

Sure wish I could have global typed a big STFU to them, but sadly my only option was to leave the server.

Regards.

Everyone chatting globally was annoying. Sorry but I dont think you should change the whole game for everyone for less than 1% of players. Direct chat works. 

These kinds of survival games are kinda not made for disabled people. Fun fact, this game is unfair for blind people, why don't we disable the screen for everyone? People without hands can't play this because they can't use a keyboard and mouse, that's unfair, and we must implement a system to auto-walk and aimbot for people who don't have hands.