prix

DayZ. AMD vs INTEL

So, I've had some problems with FPS in DayZ.

Here are some of my findings. I played with my AMD setup first. Then ripped the computer apart and

put it back together with some old Intel parts I had laying around.

AMD SETUP
SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB SSD SATA/600 TLC
CPU: AMD FX-8350 8 4.0GHz Black Edition
RAM: Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) CL9 1866MHz VENGEANCE PRO
GFX: [!Crossfire!] Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB (Hawaii PRO)
PSU: Corsair RM 850W 80+ Gold
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14CS
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

INTEL SETUP
SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB SSD SATA/600 TLC
CPU: INTEL CORE I5 3570K 3.4GHZ
RAM: Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) CL9 1866MHz VENGEANCE PRO
GFX: [!Crossfire!] Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB (Hawaii PRO)
PSU: Corsair RM 850W 80+ Gold
CPU Cooler: Stock
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z77-DS3H Z77

AMD SETUP FPS
-----------------------
Video setting Custom:
57 FPS (Stock clock. 4.0 Ghz with Turbo Boost 4.2 Ghz)
61 FPS (Overclocked 4.4 Ghz with no Turbo Boost)
63 FPS (Overclocked 4.6 Ghz with no Turbo Boost)

Very Low:   60 FPS (Stock clock)
Low:           40 FPS (Stock clock)
Normal:       -- FPS (Black Screen)
High:          30 FPS (Stock clock)
Very High:  25 FPS (Stock clock)

INTEL SETUP FPS
------------------------
Custom:     68 FPS (Stock clock)
Very Low:   94 FPS (Stock clock)
Low:           63 FPS (Stock clock)
Normal:      50 FPS (Stock clock)
High:          35 FPS (Stock clock)
Very High:  30 FPS (Stock clock)

All settings is tested in 2560x1440 resolution.,
So "Low" means low settings in DayZ with resolution changed to 2560x1440.
Custom are the settings I feel good about. That I would like too use. Basically Low settings with Very High texture quality and some other crap.

Both FPS test are made from sitting in the forest looking at the same-ish view. I was not in the exact same position but tried my best too make it fair.

Anyway, just wanted too share my resaults if anyone was thinking about buying a AMD CPU for playing DayZ.

Oh, and If any of the setups had an unfair advantage it would be the AMD setup. wich the OS was installed on and all the latest chipset drivers and what not installed. Then just replaced motherboard and CPU and still the Intel i5 whooped the AMDs ass with no change in OS or drivers.

Conclusion:

The Intel i5 made the game fun so much smoother. The FX-8350 would go down to 15-19 FPS in cities. But with the Intel i5 FPS does not drop far that low. It will keep the FPS higher in woods and cities. Overall the gameplay is much more fluid with the Intel i5.

Edited by prix
  • Like 3

AMD GPU is the future.

Nvidia is on its last legs :)

I think you smoked something there.

• Like 7

AMD GPU is the future.

The GPUs are same in both rigs. CPU is different.

• Like 2

I love ATI (Screw AMD) for their cheaper alternatives, whilst sometimes releasing some really great stuff (HD4000 series, just to name one), but AMD CPU's are simply a bad idea for a gaming PC, IMHO.

Not trying to start a cpu war, but it's generally accepted that AMD CPU's are inferior to Intel ones, and with the optimisation problems this game has it makes sense it doesn't run the best.

The GPU's, on the otherhand, are equal to and cheaper than their Nvidia equivilents.

(Warning: Poster owns a AMD CPU and is satisfied with it, for the love of god don't reply bashing me about it, I am not out to get people who own AMD hardware)

Edited by Jaginun

AMD GPU is the future.

Not true at all; have some confidence in Nvidia's ability to respond to AMDs recent achievements. If Shadowplay gets some new features (split audio recording, streaming, etc), smart Youtubers will buy Nvidia cards. Nvidia will be known as the standard for recording, which is more important than the standard for FPS.

Not trying to start a cpu war, but it's generally accepted that AMD CPU's are inferior to Intel ones, and with the optimisation problems this game has it makes sense it doesn't run the best.

The GPU's, on the otherhand, are equal to and cheaper than their Nvidia equivilents.

(Warning: Poster owns a AMD CPU and is satisfied with it, for the love of god don't reply bashing me about it, I am not out to get people who own AMD hardware)

I own an AMD cpu and im happy with it infact my whole crew runs amd and we do fine :|

so yeah I dont see why ppl hate on amd anyways

I own an AMD cpu and im happy with it infact my whole crew runs amd and we do fine :|

so yeah I dont see why ppl hate on amd anyways

Well this is PURELY Arma 2/3 Dayz related.

When I play BF4 on that AMD SETUP, i run ULTRA @ 2560x1440 with 75-100 FPS.

Yeah it just seems AMD gets a lot of hate people seem to pick a game that the one they wanna make look good plays best on then compares em with that alone giving it a bad name. So ty for adding the whole BF4 thing and giving a great comparison on the 2 in this game and not bashing by adding that it plays fine on another game :D

Edited by Kruger287

Not true at all; have some confidence in Nvidia's ability to respond to AMDs recent achievements. If Shadowplay gets some new features (split audio recording, streaming, etc), smart Youtubers will buy Nvidia cards. Nvidia will be known as the standard for recording, which is more important than the standard for FPS.

Shadowplay already can stream to twitch iirc,  I use the hell out of shadowplay and love it (altho I don't stream) the vid quality is excellent and the performance hit from recording is unnoticable.  And now back on topic, thank you to the OP for doing this test, I had always wondered why so many of the performance problem threads were amd lol (not bashing AMD I know they are quite capable and arma just isn't as AMD friendly).

Edited by SaveMeJebus

The best part is, wich I didn't mention in the OP.

When I was looking at or moving around in a city with the AMD setup it would COMPLETLY kill my FPS.

It would go as low as 15-19 FPS.

Now with the Core I5 i'm looking down at Stary Sobor atm with 50 FPS. That is the real difference.

Just wondering have you clean installed the SSD / OS each time you swapped the system?

How have you ensured that all drivers were up2date?

Edited by Colonel-Wicked

Intel I7 4770K @ 4.2GHZ, Nvidia GTX 780, H100I pcu cooler, Asus Maximus VI HERO mother board,  16 gigs of vengeance RAM 60+ FPS on high in towns.  

btw SSD wont help with FPS just makes you load in quicker.

Intel I7 4770K @ 4.2GHZ, Nvidia GTX 780, H100I pcu cooler, Asus Maximus VI HERO mother board,  16 gigs of vengeance RAM 60+ FPS on high in towns.  

But it already loads so fast !

Just wondering have you clean installed the SSD / OS each time you swapped the system?

How have you ensured that all drivers were up2date?

The SSD used was installed with the AMD parts with all latest drivers.

Then same SSD was used untouched with the i5 system. So if it's unfair it's unfair against the i5.

The only thing that was not running proper on the i5 system was AHCI.

Graphic cards latest firmware.

Motherboard Latest firmware.

Latest graphic card drivers.

Latest motherboard chipset drivers.

Windows 8.1

Everything used is either latest stable or latest beta of everything. Firmwares, Drivers, Operatingsystem.

Hmm I have same CPU as you, but weaker gpu and just 8GB ram,but I find it hard to belive, you got 60+ FPS in Cherno / Elektro with everything on HIGH.

All settings is tested in 2560x1440 resolution.,
So "Low" means low settings in DayZ with resolution changed to 2560x1440.
Custom are the settings I feel good about. That I would like too use. Basically Low settings with Very High texture quality and some other crap.

Both FPS test are made from sitting in the forest looking at the same-ish view. I was not in the exact same position but tried my best too make it fair.

Wish you tested also performance in the cities.

BF4 was and is being optimized heavily for AMD and the mantle release... poor choice of comparison as the game is ass backwards...  it's terribly optimized for intel for mysterious reasons in comparison to amd. Most of the launch issues and crashes were happening with i5 and i7 users from the last couple 2-3 cycles... 

I mean, that game is such a mess, EA is being sued by their shareholders for pushing it out the door and selling stock before hand, knowing it was going to be a dud.

I've been playing on an Intel/Nvidia rig. happily switched a few years back. I'm glad I did.

The old tower is rocking an e6300 o/c @ 3.5ghz with 2gb ram. ATI-x1600pro 512mb video.  windows xp. straight outta 2006. It still works. but not for newer games.

Anyhow its all about personal preference.

Dice was sponsored by AMD when they released BF4. Of course you will get better performance.

Wish you tested also performance in the cities.

Posten a note on that earlier :)

It was about 19 FPS with the AMD Setup.

And as I said earlier, havent tried it that much on i5 setup yet but so far it's where the intel shines even more. 

Looking at Stary Sobor with 50 FPS seeing whole town. This dropped the FPS way low with the FX-8350

Dice was sponsored by AMD when they released BF4. Of course you will get better performance.

I've benchmarked BF4 on the AMD Setup before I took it apart. And did it now on the i5 setup.

Battlefield 4

AMD setup: Avg: 79.588 - Min: 47 - Max: 121

Intel Setup: Avg: 77.085 - Min: 51 - Max: 134

It's not that the FX-8350 is a crap CPU, or that the i5 is so superior. It's just that Arma 2/3, DayZ wont play well with AMD. Has nothing to do with AMD and Dice partnership since Intel will keep just as high frames if not higher in BF4 aswell.

Edited by prix