DayzForumer

How will flying work? Simulator or Arcade?

Simulator = Fly in Helicopters game made by the studios that help with DayZ.

Arcade: WASD, Q (rise) E (land).

Simulator. For sure. Pweeeeaaase Wocket!

Mabe not as in depth as ToH but something about half way from the Arcade you mentioned and the Sim. 

Simulator. For sure. Pweeeeaaase Wocket!

Mabe not as in depth as ToH but something about half way from the Arcade you mentioned and the Sim. 

I want to start helicopters with first person buttons, interaction, opening doors from the inside, opening windows etc etc. But I don't want to have 100% realistic controls (need to have a joystick just to be able to liftoff because of advanced controls).

• Like 1

I'm fairly sure they'll make it difficult but not Microsoft flight simulator X difficult, I seem to remember seeing somewhere that more difficult helicopter mechanics were potentially on the table.

Hopefully we never find out and they never include helicopters.

Kinda idiotic to think a rag tag group of survivors would not only be able to pilot a helicopter but also provide maintenance.

They should keep motor vehicles and manual forms of transportation such as bicycles. No choppers.

I think they should be difficult because helicopters are such an advantage. 

hmm in all honesty I liked the way they controlled and everything in the mod, they felt very fragile delicate much like a real helicopter... nothing like GTA helicopters where you can basically bump into a building and still fly away... the rotors should clip with the environment so you cant land the helis in tiny clearings in the woods...

in summary, I like the mods controls and feel of the choppers just improve the physics a bit..

• Like 2

Keep it similar to Arma and we're good to go. Be able to pitch, yaw, and thrust correctly. Also, not like 3 second blade spin up. Shouldn't be unrealistically quick, but not so realistic you're sitting there waiting to get blades to 100%...

Kinda idiotic to think a rag tag group of survivors would not only be able to pilot a helicopter but also provide maintenance.

They should keep motor vehicles and manual forms of transportation such as bicycles. No choppers.

its funny you say this because When I first got a heli in the mod I had no idea how to fly it... and I ended up flipping the thing into the ground on take-off... if you are careful enough you can teach yourself to do anything in real life... maybe you cant fly the choppers unless you find a certain flying lesson book or something but I dont think they should take the choppers out completly. even just for the fact that its an incredible rush when you are running through a feild and you hear a chopper in the distance so you have a choice to either try and be seen for a ride or hide your ass in a bush and wait for it to go away for fear of being spotted and possibly shot at.

• Like 1

This does have some sense to it believe me, however seeing as DayZ is open ended with regards to your character, what's to say they aren't a pilot that returned to chernarus at the wrong time.

Going to go out on a limb here and say that as much as Dean might want to make it even more realistic the Arma engine they're using is pretty circumscribed when it comes to vehicles and I wouldn't expect anything new on that front.

But I also do not expect to see the addition of military grade aircraft either. I think by the time the SA gets into beta mode, the M4 we're all getting so used to is going to be a rarer military loot and most of us are going to be using farm/residential civilian weaponry with far more commonality, so I simply don't think we're going to be seeing UH1Y's and fully operational mobile infantry vehicles. That stuff is mostly Arma's area, DayZ is a different kind of game and I expect we'll see that reflected in the vehicles we'll eventually have. But suffice it to say a working bicycle, in where Dean's mind appears to be going, would probably be a bit of a luxury.

Rocket said he was going to put Heli's in but not just anyone can fly it. His ideas for the game were somewhere along the lines of 'If you can't do that IRL, then you can't do it in DayZ' (he was on about hacking security systems on bases if my memory is correct) So to me, that means only a select few people who know how to fly a Heli will be flying them. The rest of the people that try will probably crash and burn

This does have some sense to it believe me, however seeing as DayZ is open ended with regards to your character, what's to say they aren't a pilot that returned to chernarus at the wrong time.

Dayz mod was open ended.

Stand Alone seems to be a taking a more realistic approach.

In such an approach there would surely perhaps be a helicopter or 2 in game but there be no logistics to get it up and running much less in the air.

Dayz mod was open ended.

In such an approach there would surely perhaps be a helicopter or 2 in game but there be no logistics to get it up and running much less in the air.

Another good point, there would probably be at least a few left at airbases that either could not be refuelled to leave with the others or the pilot was mauled at the landing zone, perhaps if they needed to be more thoroughly repaired in such a way that if you repair them "half-arsed" then the heli will either not turn on or crash and kill it's pilot.

I would like to see one or two choppers (maybe one military and one civilian or news chopper) but I think they should be very rare to 1). find the parts or fuel and 2). to actually have a chopper in game. Or randomized across the map so it's not a race to the chopper spawn. If they do go down the route of stats development, maybe a stat required to operate a chopper as well.

even just for the fact that its an incredible rush when you are running through a feild and you hear a chopper in the distance so you have a choice to either try and be seen for a ride or hide your ass in a bush and wait for it to go away for fear of being spotted and possibly shot at.

Yep!

So is respawning? for humans?

Lets step up the realism i say, when you turn on the game, you dont spawn. Your character was actually apart of the 99% civilians who didnt make it and turned into a zombie, so you have a 1% chance of either having your dayz ever work, or you have to keep respawning.

Such realism, many wow. MAN I WOULD LOVE TO PLAY A GAME LIKE THAT, ROCKET PLZ MORE MORE

Edited by Mazzar

So is respawning? for humans?

Thats the thing you dont respawn.

Your character dies he is dead forever. When you "respawn" its a completely new character fresh entirely new experience.

There is no back story to the survivor, for all we know they could be ex military and trained in flight operations.... 

Edited by warjunky1992

Dayz mod was open ended.

Put in a book with instructions on how to fly a helicopter, or can survivors not read too?

Put in a book with instructions on how to fly a helicopter, or can survivors not read too?

We'll how did they find the book ?

Even if they had found such a book how would they have the knowledge to fix and repair a broken down helicopter. Fuel such a helicopter with the special fuel helicopters need and more importantly what survivor in the right state of mind would actually attempt to fly the helicopter.

Helicopters within dayz if it continues to follow a realistic approach simply do not fit in any shape or form.

We'll how did they find the book ?

Even if they had found such a book how would they have the knowledge to fix and repair a broken down helicopter. Fuel such a helicopter with the special fuel helicopters need and more importantly what survivor in the right state of mind would actually attempt to fly the helicopter.

Helicopters within dayz if it continues to follow a realistic approach simply do not fit in any shape or form.

They went in a house, looked at the floor, seen the book on how to fly a helicopter. To fuel and repair the Chopper. Read the book. 

• Like 1

I dislike the book Idea.

I know how to fly Helicopters, yet you are proposing that If I find a working Heli, I cannot fly it until I find some book?

Silly.

And each time I die/respawn I need to find the book again!

I dislike the book Idea.

I know how to fly Helicopters, yet you are proposing that If I find a working Heli, I cannot fly it until I find some book?

Silly.

And each time I die/respawn I need to find the book again!

Nope. You think I want Skyrim skill books? haha. 

This was just to justify how a regular survivor could learn to fly a Chopper, you know how we'd learn how to fly one in the game. If we read about it, we learn.

• Like 1