Sign in to follow this  
cheetum@gmail.com

How to open a can of food without any tools

See video for demonstration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH2NahLjx-Y

I know its just a game, but the mechanic that requires you to have a tool to open a can is not realistic.  (I'm assuming the reason its in the game is to add realism which makes it all the more perplexing)   In real life any can of food can be opened without a tool using the method in the video above.   All you need is a hard, rough surface like concrete which is all over chernarus.   Personally I feel this mechanic reduces the realism and immersion of the game for me, as its frustrating that I have this can of food, and I know in real life I could open it easily, but in the game I am forced to scrounge for some tool to do it.   I may be in the minority but I don't like this mechanic, as I find it unrealistic, unnecessary, and adds nothing to the game.

Edited by cheetum
  • Like 3

Game is meant to be Authentic not realistic.

Scares me that i clicked that video link and it was half way through as if i have watched it before :o

Game is meant to be Authentic not realistic.

Ok fine.   But still doesn't answer the question on what this mechanic adds to the game.  I don't see how it makes it more authentic either.   I dont even see the point.  Why does it even exist.

At least let me use a wider variety of household stuff to open a can.... I can do it with a spoon.... 

This guy already made a video of it  :P

Ok fine.   But still doesn't answer the question on what this mechanic adds to the game.  I don't see how it makes it more authentic either.   I dont even see the point.  Why does it even exist.

Because it requires that you have a thing to do another thing. That's sort of the whole idea behind games.

Why do I have to have a weapon flashlight to have a flashlight on my weapon?

Why do I have to have a RDS to have a RDS on my weapon?

Why do I need matches to start a fire?

Why do I need a fire to cook meat (not yet though lol)?

These are all analogous to what you're saying. The point of the game is that there are a set of rules that everyone plays by, and you manipulate those rules to achieve the desired outcome. If you don't like the rules of the game, then go find something else to play with all the kids who think hunger and thirst are too hard or the tards who think there shouldn't be pvp.

Because it requires that you have a thing to do another thing. That's sort of the whole idea behind games.

These are all analogous to what you're saying. The point of the game is that there are a set of rules that everyone plays by, and you manipulate those rules to achieve the desired outcome. If you don't like the rules of the game, then go find something else to play with all the kids who think hunger and thirst are too hard or the tards who think there shouldn't be pvp.

At least let me use a wider variety of household stuff to open a can.... I can do it with a spoon.... 

This guy already made a video of it  :P

If they added the spoon trick you guys would come back complaining that it took 60seconds to open your can of beans.

Nah.... i spend too much time in the bush anyway, whats 60 seconds when the nearest village is 30 mins walk away... 

The point isn't that it is unrealistic. So is everything else about just about every game ever. That's because a totally realistic game would be really boring and gay. Instead, games are analogous to real life but with different governing factors to make it actually enjoyable.

So sure, let's give you the ability to open cans with naught but your fists. Or add a spoon to the game, as this would actually be fun to murder someone with. But if we're playing the "everything is just life real life" game:

No more infinite sprinting. Three - four hour walk from Balota to Cherno.

Clearly most people aren't trained in how to use guns, so at spawn RNG decides who can use military weapons (let's be generous and say 10% can). Everyone else can only use pistols and civilian weapons.

Most people aren't in good enough shape to lug around a backpack with 4 300 round boxes, cans of food and soda, etc. Everything now has weight, weight further effects your movement speed, and RNG decides if your character is strong or weak.

Being that you're on the beach and probably wet, and it's russia, you start with mild hypothermia and need to find warm clothes within an hour or so or die.

Also you don't start with a flashlight. Or at least not a full size one. Some people carry little LED keychains, but I don't know any crazy assholes who carry around a mag-light.

And lastly, no more 24/7 daylight on any server ever (this would actually be a benefit...)

That sounds like a realistic (super duper fun!) game. Right?

Edit:

Also for realism's sake, loot never respawns. Ever. If this was real life the first few people into a building would grab most of the good stuff and then it would be gone forever. The sadistic few might even destroy what they can't carry just to make sure no one else can have it. 

For that matter, why are all these people climbing out of the sea? We should have randomized spawns and starting statuses. One person might be a soldier, already has a backpack and gun and is ready to avenge his lady love who was eaten by zombies. Another might be a rich guy with a helicopter. Or perhaps you're a hobo, who starts with some ragged clothing and already has cholera.

Edited by DEOVONTAY MCSLANGA

all of these things are consistent with real life.    What if they add a mechanic that in order to use a weapon you need to find the flashlight attachment.  how does that make any sense?   It doesn't.  Just like it doesn't make sense that I need a tool to open a can in the game, but in reality i can open any can easily without any tool.

Edited by cheetum
  • Like 1

The point isn't that it is unrealistic. So is everything else about just about every game ever. That's because a totally realistic game would be really boring and gay. Instead, games are analogous to real life but with different governing factors to make it actually enjoyable.

So sure, let's give you the ability to open cans with naught but your fists. Or add a spoon to the game, as this would actually be fun to murder someone with. But if we're playing the "everything is just life real life" game:

No more infinite sprinting. Three - four hour walk from Balota to Cherno.

Clearly most people aren't trained in how to use guns, so at spawn RNG decides who can use military weapons (let's be generous and say 10% can). Everyone else can only use pistols and civilian weapons.

Most people aren't in good enough shape to lug around a backpack with 4 300 round boxes, cans of food and soda, etc. Everything now has weight, weight further effects your movement speed, and RNG decides if your character is strong or weak.

Being that you're on the beach and probably wet, and it's russia, you start with mild hypothermia and need to find warm clothes within an hour or so or die.

Also you don't start with a flashlight. Or at least not a full size one. Some people carry little LED keychains, but I don't know any crazy assholes who carry around a mag-light.

And lastly, no more 24/7 daylight on any server ever (this would actually be a benefit...)

That sounds like a realistic (super duper fun!) game. Right?

Edit:

Also for realism's sake, loot never respawns. Ever. If this was real life the first few people into a building would grab most of the good stuff and then it would be gone forever. The sadistic few might even destroy what they can't carry just to make sure no one else can have it. 

For that matter, why are all these people climbing out of the sea? We should have randomized spawns and starting statuses. One person might be a soldier, already has a backpack and gun and is ready to avenge his lady love who was eaten by zombies. Another might be a rich guy with a helicopter. Or perhaps you're a hobo, who starts with some ragged clothing and already has cholera.

With the exception of the "four hour walk from Balota to Cherno" ....

That is actually EXACTLY WHAT I WAS EXPECTING FROM STANDALONE!!!!!

Read second post, it's a game, if you don't like the rules go play something else.

If I didn't like the game I would go play something else.  I do like the game obviously.   I am just providing feedback, which is what you do when you are alpha / beta testing a game.   The game isn't perfect, and has room for improvement.  This addition to the game doesn't improve the game, and I personally feel the game would be better without it.   Hence I am providing feedback.    Its constructive and worthy of discussion, unlike your reply.

• Like 1

I agree with removing the canopener mechanic; it may be fairly realistic even though the videos above show you don't really need a canopener or any other tool.

I understand what the devs were trying to do, adding the canopener mechanic to add realism. Using the canopener to open the cans is fairly realistic but it does not translate to the game well; it just ends up being frustrating or just extra "micro" that isn''t needed and that detracts from the game.

Managing this small thing "get the can opener or some other tool and then open the beans" doesn't translate into good gameplay, just extra micro to manage.

I do understand where the devs were coming from though and i really think the canopener mechanic is one of those things that had to be implemented to know if it was a good idea or not; one of those things that sounds good on paper but when put in the game and experienced just doesn't add much and kind of detracts from the game.

Edited by theysaid...
  • Like 1

I agree with removing the canopener mechanic; it may be fairly realistic even though the videos above show you don't really need a canopener or any other tool.

I understand what the devs were trying to do, adding the canopener mechanic to add realism. Using the canopener to open the cans is fairly realistic but it does not trainlate to the game well; it just ends up being frustrating or just extra "micro" that isn''t needed and that detracts from the game.

Managing this small thing "get the can opener or some other tool and then open the beans" doesn't translate into good gameplay, just extra micro to manage.

I do understand where the devs were coming from though and i really think the canopener mechanic is one of those things that had to be implemented to know if it was a good idea or not; one of those things that sounds good on paper but when put in the game and experienced just doesn't add much and kind of detracts from the game.

Agreed, you said it better than I did.  I just don't feel like it adds value to the gameplay and isn't necessary.   Maybe not everyone feels this way, just providing my personal experience and feedback

Edited by cheetum
  • Like 1

Well I like the idea of using a can opener or other tool to open tinned food but I also think you should be able to force it open, but lose like 25% of the can or it takes longer to open and makes a lot of noise. Doesn't make sense that you cant force them open if your starving to death, then the can opener would then be a luxury I guess. 

If I didn't like the game I would go play something else.  I do like the game obviously.   I am just providing feedback, which is what you do when you are alpha / beta testing a game.   The game isn't perfect, and has room for improvement.  This addition to the game doesn't improve the game, and I personally feel the game would be better without it.   Hence I am providing feedback.    Its constructive and worthy of discussion, unlike your reply.

Well said.

Agreed, you said it better than I did.  I just don't feel like it adds value to the gameplay and isn't necessary.   Maybe not everyone feels this way, just providing my personal experience and feedback

I think you're right on, it doesn't add anything and given the videos, it doesn't make much sense.

I never knew you could open cans by rubbing them upside down on concrete, pretty cool, easy and useful I must say.

Edited by theysaid...

You can open cans with a Splitting Axe / Fire Axe but you lose some of the contents.

You can also use a bayonett or a screwdriver to open the cans. So there are already other options besides a can opener to get those cans open

It's a gameplay mechanic. Why aren't there threads saying how it's impossible to run the distance we can run or complaining how effective bandages are? No one ever complains how unrealistically fast we open cans and eat...

It's basically artificial "difficulty" that forces you to acquire something to do something. To open cans, you need a tool to do so. This was explained in another post earlier. I don't see the problem.

• Like 2

You're also missing the fact that only half the foods currently in the game require a can opener, and that proportion will be even smaller when they add in hunting. One of the most common foods is canned tuna, to the point that I hardly bother carrying a can opener because I know I can find enough tuna to get by without one.

It adds a fairly minor risk/reward mechanic. If you're really in that tight of a spot that you will starve to death because you don't have a can opener or any of the other tools they gave you to open them then you're doing something really stupid.

Essentially you're asking them to remove something that is nifty and hardly effects the game simply in the spirit of making the game a wrinkle easier for completely retarded people.

• Like 1

If they added the spoon trick you guys would come back complaining that it took 60seconds to open your can of beans.

If they will add spoon it can be used as a weapon. ;)