thescavenger (DayZ)

day/night cycle

ok so every time i play dayz its always night time no matter what server i go on which is super annoying so can someone please explain the day/night cycle or tell me how to join a server in the day time? 

• Like 1

A lot of servers are having to resort to 24/7 day due to hosters having issues with the day/night cycle settings. You should be able to find these servers in the in game server browser because most are labelling their server names accordingly. Good luck!

I'd like to know where the time is based from, If I log into a server hosted in St. Louis MO USA @ 1:00 am it is just getting light outside, I dont mind the 12/12 day night cycle but cant we get it regionally based by the hosting servers time zone? I hate having to log into a server in Chille to get daytime during my playable hours and suffer horrific ping times. Just joined a New York hosted server and it's daytime while Chicago/St Louis is pitch black darkness. 

Edited by Hand Soloz

Every one can play the game how they want but seriously, playing at night time isn't bad at all. Just turn your gamma and brightness up as well as put clouds on high and HDR on high. Putting on these settings should help a lot if you struggle to play at night time.

But then again they give you a flashlight for a reason

Every one can play the game how they want but seriously, playing at night time isn't bad at all. Just turn your gamma and brightness up as well as put clouds on high and HDR on high. Putting on these settings should help a lot if you struggle to play at night time.

Flashlights make great target indicators IMO

would appreciate it if the servers would list D/L or Nite  in what ever time zone they are in

• Like 1

I'd like to know where the time is based from, If I log into a server hosted in St. Louis MO USA @ 1:00 am it is just getting light outside, I dont mind the 12/12 day night cycle but cant we get it regionally based by the hosting servers time zone? I hate having to log into a server in Chille to get daytime during my playable hours and suffer horrific ping times. Just joined a New York hosted server and it's daytime while Chicago/St Louis is pitch black darkness. 

I play on MO servers and also noticed that daytime is actually from around midnight till noon.  It is pretty inconveniant, so I agree, basing the in game time on the server time is a great idea.

Again, it's the server hoster companies that are having issues setting the server times properly.

For example, my server is hosted in Sydney AU; which is currently GMT+11; but when I login to my server it's night when it should be day. So the fix for this at the moment is to set the server to 24/7 day, I'm not happy about it but it's the best option for the moment. The hoster is telling me that the server box is set to GMT+11 and it is a bug that needs to be addressed and it's not just my hosting company that has this issue. Hopefully I clarified the issue at hand.

I am hoping for a GMT setting for us Admins like the Mod which will help a lot of things.

As for the 12/12 Day/Night cycle... The cycle is actually a real world Day/Night cycle so you will have shorter days in the Winter and longer days in the Summer.

As for the 12/12 Day/Night cycle... The cycle is actually a real world Day/Night cycle so you will have shorter days in the Winter and longer days in the Summer.

Not too many "real world" places that have 12/12 day/night cycle, maybe if you live at the north/south pole? Or maybe the world shifted it's axis during the apocalypse and now every day is an equinox... 

Edited by Hand Soloz

Not too many "real world" places that have 12/12 day/night cycle, maybe if you live at the north/south pole? Or maybe the world shifted it's axis during the apocalypse and now every day is an equinox...

He did say that the days are shorter in the winter and longer in the summer

Why play in the dark at all. What if someone works during the day and can only play at night time. He must use night servers with a good ping? Fuck i hope not. FUCK NIGHT TIME.

1.You sleep at night.

2. Who the F is going to turn on their flashlights?

3. Why bother with gamma making the game black an white when you could just simulate moonlit nights, retaining the color and probably looking f'ing beautiful probably.

4. Not everyone might use gamma, not wanting to cheat or use the ugly shit in the first place. Why spend that much time in black and white

Edited by Thane

I think he meant hours.

Why play in the dark at all.

1.You sleep at night.

2. Who the F is going to turn on their flashlights?

3. Why bother with gamma making the game black an white when you could just simulate moonlit nights, retaining the color and probably looking f'ing beautiful probably.

4. Not everyone might use gamma, not wanting to cheat or use the ugly shit in the first place. Why spend that much time in black and white

"I never want night to exist! I want easy mode daytime!" <-------- This is the poison private hives brought in the mod.

The best ay is for server admins to choose when they want day and night via the location. Without the stupid time abuse we see now.

Edited by ProGamerGov

My response was to your statement made in post #3 and wanted to clarify that DayZ uses real world day/night cycles. And yes, it was meant to be 12hour/12hour day/night cycle but considering you said it first I followed suit.   ;)

Edited by R.Neville

My response was to your statement made in post #3 and wanted to clarify that DayZ uses real world day/night cycles.  ;)

Chernarus is modelled off of October 4th in the real world Chernarus. That means the vegetation, sun position, day and night cycle and everything else was collected from that day. Of course you can change the date things will change realistically.

"I never want night to exist! I want easy mode daytime!" <-------- This is the poison private hives brought in the mod.

The best ay is for server admins to choose when they want day and night via the location. Without the stupid time abuse we see now.

What you call abuse i call SAVING GRACE!

servers that have a lot of people in them are usually day and servers with no ppl are usually night

Chernarus is modelled off of October 4th in the real world Chernarus. That means the vegetation, sun position, day and night cycle and everything else was collected from that day. Of course you can change the date things will change realistically.

Maybe if you use a static day or a custom date(for full moon nights) within the settings. If not static or custom it should follow a real world day/night cycle, according to seasons and also having moon cycles. This of course was in the Mod and I would think in the SA, except the time values in the SA atm seem to be a bit broken.

servers that have a lot of people in them are usually day and servers with no ppl are usually night

Yes, when i was doing my framerate tests for shadow performance (higher fps with it on btw...) I kept trying to enter a low population day server, i couldn't find a single one, they were all night.

I don't want to stop anyone from playing at night if they want, i just don't want it forced on me. I wouldn't play the game.

Edited by Thane