kevsta545

The DLC disscusion

I'm quite clueless on how the actual creation of a mod is made so forgive me if I'm wrong. But I thought in dayZ they needed an in game editor. I know rocket plans to create an editor but I don't expect that too happen until the game is finished and isn't buggy yet.

If it follows the same structure as the ArmA games (and there is no reason it shouldn't) then the in-game editor is used only for creating 'missions' in those games. The availible tool suites allow for the creation of content (Buildings, objects, maps, etc.). You'd also have to be v. heavily into the scripting side of things to get everything perfect, but it is do-able.

At its very core (the changes to the RV engine not withstanding), the core game in DayZ is very similar to the existing DayZmod on the ArmA II engine. I'm not stretching out my neck too far to say that anything you can imagine doing in the DayZmod can be done in DayZ.

If it follows the same structure as the ArmA games (and there is no reason it shouldn't) then the in-game editor is used only for creating 'missions' in those games. The availible tool suites allow for the creation of content (Buildings, objects, maps, etc.). You'd also have to be v. heavily into the scripting side of things to get everything perfect, but it is do-able.

At its very core (the changes to the RV engine not withstanding), the core game in DayZ is very similar to the existing DayZmod on the ArmA II engine. I'm not stretching out my neck too far to say that anything you can imagine doing in the DayZmod can be done in DayZ.

but they did a complete new engine so I'm not sure..

but they did a complete new engine so I'm not sure..

Not quite. There are some changes in the engine at it's lowest level, but for the most part it seems to be a hybrid of ArmAII/II and ToH features. I think most of the changes were to the networking code and to bring the hive stuff into the engine itself, rather than scripted as in the mod.

As an example, If you add the DayZ data files to ArmA III as an add-on, the map appears to be pretty much playable, and the items seem to be pretty much intact as well. The player models, however, are screwed, but take them out and use standard ArmA III models and you're good to go.

I may or may not have actually tried this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBp6t2ViE_I or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxabdkU3SLg

Edited by DJPorterNZ

Not quite. There are some changes in the engine at it's lowest level, but for the most part it seems to be a hybrid of ArmAII/II and ToH features.

As an example, If you add the DayZ data files to ArmA III as an add-on, the map appears to be pretty much playable, and the items seem to be pretty much intact as well. The player models, however, are screwed, but take them out and use standard ArmA III models and you're good to go.

I may or may not have actually tried this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBp6t2ViE_I or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxabdkU3SLg

Huh. Interesting stuff. But isn't they're some copy right law against porting the maps to arms 3 or something?

Bf4 gtfo. Kthxbai

what?

Don't

Lose

Cash

I don't think I get it lol.

Huh. Interesting stuff. But isn't they're some copy right law against porting the maps to arms 3 or something?

Probably. I'm working on the assumption that since I own both games and am not telling you how to do this, and definatley not making any money from anything, that it's not going to be worth their while chasing my minimum-wage arse through the courts.

And in all seriousness, the ArmA franchise has survived and thrived on it's mod-ability. Hell, the DayZmod required that to even see the light of day. I'm hoping that Rocket and the Rocketeers (i.e. Dev team) are not going to get too up tight if the modding community want to work with their platform.

Who in the fuck WANTS paid content?

I didn't buy DayZ just so I can pay more later, for stuff that's already available for free on the A2 mod.

Since we're wishing here, I'll jump in.

I'd pay for DLC in a few circumstances.

I'd like to see Namalsk in DayZ again, and I'd pay for it just to support the developers of this map and say thank you for their work. Anyone with the required skill to put a map together and have it play well deserves this at least.

I wouldn't pay for a DLC that only adds a weapon/vehicle, etc. Too much pay-to-win, there! Anything that can give you a material advantage in-game, should have the same chance to be acquired ligitemately by any player, end of.

I don't think we have too much to worry about. Rocket seems to be thinking along similar lines, from what I've been able to infer from his many posts.

Now if he'd only kill this 'hive' idea for servers....

• Like 1

This is not EA it is BI.

so your saying ea is the only company that makes DLC? LOL AND YOU THINK BI HASNT MADE DLC? Funny boy. Combined ops, British military company, cold war assult, many more. Think before you post.

so your saying EA is the only company that makes DLC? LOL AND YOU THINK BI HASN'T MADE DLC? Funny boy. Combined ops, British military company, cold war assult, many more. Think before you post.

And I bought every single one of them.

Mind you, their DLC added new equipment and a single-player campaign in each one. Both of which won't fit into the basic premise of DayZ.

DLC for equipment seems too much like pay-to-win which I hope Rocket won't want to head towards, and single-player campaigns just won't fly in a multi-player game!

DLC would have to be restricted to maps, IMHO. And that could work.

And you missed out PMC and ACR DLC for ArmA II. Not that I'm keeping score ;-)

Edited by DJPorterNZ
  • Like 1

so your saying ea is the only company that makes DLC? LOL AND YOU THINK BI HASNT MADE DLC? Funny boy. Combined ops, British military company, cold war assult, many more. Think before you post.

Real rage issues lol ok w/e I'm not even going to engage a caps lock war with you :)

And I bought every single one of them.

Mind you, their DLC added new equipment and a single-player campaign in each one. Both of which won't fit into the basic premise of DayZ.

DLC for equipment seems too much like pay-to-win which I hope Rocket won't want to head towards, and single-player campaigns just won't fly in a multi-player game!

DLC would have to be restricted to maps, IMHO. And that could work.

And you missed out PMC and ACR DLC for ArmA II. Not that I'm keeping score ;-)

I completely agree. I also bought most of the Arma 2 DLC as I had it before dayZ and hadn't bought it for mods lol. I agree that it should be restricted maps. But I think different maps should have dif vehicles, but you could cross them over in between maps and such.

No DLC and no modding till the game has been final released for atleast 1-2 years.

No ? DayZ isn't battlefield

you people act like battlefield is the only game hat should have DLC. Anyone who read this entire thread would understand what we mean by DLC.

DLC = drunk likeable cat? cause i would pay for that

I'm going to put on my inception mask for a sec here. *zip*

please don't make pointless posts.