Sign in to follow this  
TheHappyPeanut

Kill on Sight - Complaining

The problem is that this isn't real life. I've had this discussion with friends. You would do things in DayZ that you would never do in real life. You would never kill someone in real life for a backpack. But in a virtual game, you have nothing to lose, no remorse. It makes it much easier. And using bullets on zombies is a bad idea because 1) it wastes ammunition and 2) attracts other players and additional zombies.

Do you think that "The walking Dead" is unrealistic in realtion to the fears of the protagonists?

*sigh* No "good" reason. Killing a newspawn headed away from you or no where near you with no way of being a threat to you only because you spotted them is Killing On Sight. Determining that guy crouched in the bushes is just waiting for someone to try and enter that building and flanking him then taking him out, is not. Remember, not all spawn points are on the coast now, so you can run into newspawns up in Novy and other towns very easily.

What I am saying is that some of us actually don't go, "Player." and decide to pull the trigger while in the same situations where you stated we do or will. We don't, so saying we do is incorrect.

I disagree with shooting players who are obviously freshly spawned at the coast. I think it's wrong because 1) they have no supplies and 2) you're ruining the session immediately for them. However, once they get further inland or you see that they have supplies, they're fair game. But to make it clear, I don't kill everyone on sight. There are a hundred variables that determine whether or not someone is worthy of being killed. I ask myself these questions:

1) Does this person have supplies on him?

2) If I allow this person to live, what is the likelihood that we will meet again under different circumstances?

To be honest, if a person doesn't see me and doesn't have weapons on him, I'm not going to kill him unless I have no other choice.

No one is saying we don't want PVP. Some of us wouldn't mind if the PVP was not "mindless". In the mod I literally watched a guy running from zombies, stop to shoot a newspawn in Cherno with his Enfield and then get knocked down by the zombies and die. There was no point to the kill and it let the ones chasing him catch up as well as agro'd every other zombie in town onto him so he died... too zombies... in the mod. At that point he should have just logged from embarrassment but I saw his name pop up twice fairly quick and then he was back in Cherno running around. Watched him chase a guy with an axe and just had to roll my eyes and move on with my day.

It's nearly impossible to avoid KoS, if Pvp is active. Maybe you can reduce the KoS mentality.

Also, I really don't know why people call hunting a "sport." It doesn't require athleticism. You hide in a bush or in a box eating beef jerky and then you shoot an unsuspecting animal. A sport implies there is some sort of competition or an ability to lose. Would you call playing tether ball against a person with no arms a "sport"? Ridiculous.

Finally someone said it :)

• Like 1

Except you're better off trying to rob them than killing them on sight since your bullets will degrade and even ruin the items on said victim.

I mean.. if that's your actual motivation and not "hurr durr, let's just kill that guy for the lulz"

It's likely that I would attempt to rob an individual if I had a partner with me at the time, but it's not a risk I'm willing to take if I'm traveling alone.

What else you supposed to do? Avoid the zombies? Rebuild Civilization? Escape the infected zone? Find you missing family? Give me something else to do or to strive for and I'll put off killing folk for entertainment longer. As for the banditos who crack on about how they love making people rage with their KOS and noob shoot gallery. The only people who get upset are new players who don't realise it doesn't actually take much to become dangerous.

Right now? Not much. I spent a day exploring all the new area with a couple friends. It's amazing what they have added and what it looks like is going to be on the map. I am stunned by some of it. But I guess instead of poking into corners I could be sitting on the coast yawning while I shot helpless people and then going, "Damn it Rocket. I'm bored already because I am doing the same thing I did in the mod and expecting it to feel different."

I've never gotten the whole, "Oh I hope I can make this guy cry." attitude. Why?

While everything the OP says is true, I don't think that that's the kind of player people are generally complaining about. The type of KOSer that people complain about the most are guys who will kill try to kill ANYONE they see, no matter what. Even if it's just a new spawn, even if they're running in the opposite direction, or even if they just found him unconcious, treated his wounds, gave him blood, and killed the guy that tried to kill him. No matter what, if they're a player that's not him, they must die. And honestly, I can absolutely see why people complain about this kind of player.

Edited by Dark Link
  • Like 1

I disagree with shooting players who are obviously freshly spawned at the coast. I think it's wrong because 1) they have no supplies and 2) you're ruining the session immediately for them. However, once they get further inland or you see that they have supplies, they're fair game. But to make it clear, I don't kill everyone on sight. There are a hundred variables that determine whether or not someone is worthy of being killed. I ask myself these questions:

1) Does this person have supplies on him?

2) If I allow this person to live, what is the likelihood that we will meet again under different circumstances?

To be honest, if a person doesn't see me and doesn't have weapons on him, I'm not going to kill him unless I have no other choice.

Then you are not Killing On Sight. You are, "Killing". I don't have an issue with that.

While everything the OP says is true, I don't think that that's the kind of player people are generally complaining about. The type of KOSer that people complain about the most are guys who will kill try to kill ANYONE they see, no matter what. Even if it's just a new spawn, even if they're running in the opposite direction, or even if they just found you unconcious, treated your wounds, gave you blood, and killed the guy that tried to kill you. No matter what, if you're a player that's not them, you die. And honestly, I can absolutely see why people complain about this kind of player.

Exactly! Spawn on the beach. Someone else spawns and they immediately run at you and raise their fists. To what end? So they can tear up your T-shirt to make the rags they now need because they are probably bleeding from the fight? I've had to fend off those guys though.

Without pvp the game would be boring. Otherwise you don't have to be careful. Imagine: No PvP  -> You can kill all Zombies with shooting on them. Someone hears the shot? No problem because there is no pvp.

So you guys are right. Maybe i am a bit mad after being killed but i do not complain.

Even an unarmed could be a spy or he could find a weapon.

general pvp and kos are two completely different things..

As defined ad nauseum already, killing on sight means you kill indiscriminately for no reason other than to get the rush of killing another player.. you're playing the game like it's a deathmatch FPS rather than a post-apocalyptic zombie survival simulator. Which is fine by the way, that play-style shouldn't be wiped out.. the game has to have villains in that regard.

I have only killed one person so far in the SA and it was because he opened the door of a military barracks I was in right as I was about to leave and I started to shout "whoa whoa put the axe down! put it down!" and he started swinging at me and coming after me so i put like 5 rounds from my handgun into him and killed him. I could have easily just opened fire as soon as he opened the door but I don't want to play that way for 2 reasons:

1) It's uninteresting. The social interaction with a game like this is awesome. Trying to treat another player like another human being rather than another NPC to knock off is interesting to me. shooting first and asking questions later is boring in my opinion.

2) with the new item degradation system, shooting someone will ruin what they have on them.. so if I'm going to try and take their stuff, I'd rather attempt taking them hostage so I don't ruin their beans.

• Like 1

I fail to understand why people continuously complain about being killed on sight. We are playing a game based in a post-apocalyptic zombie-infested world where food and water are rarities; a game where it can take hours of scavenging to build a somewhat decent supply of resources. You're living in a fairy tale world to believe that you should not be killed on sight, and for multiple reasons.

1) Food, water, and medical supplies are rare. My friend and I barely have enough to keep us alive between each town. If we see someone who appears to have anything we can use, they'll be killed on sight.

2) It's a dog-eat-dog world in DayZ. You're out of your mind if you think I'm going to trust someone who has absolutely nothing to lose by stabbing me in the back. Trusting a stranger in this game is instant suicide. If you're concerned with being killed on sight, avoid survivors at all cost. In a game that took me two hours to establish my character, you're damn right that I'm going to murder you to ensure that you don't pose a threat to me or my partner.

The majority of people who complain about killing on sight would do the exact same thing in the situation they were in; they're just angry that they ended up losing in the situation they were dealt.

i fail to see why we need yet another thread on this subject!

Edited by Spikér

general pvp and kos are two completely different things..

As defined ad nauseum already, killing on sight means you kill indiscriminately for no reason other than to get the rush of killing another player.. you're playing the game like it's a deathmatch FPS rather than a post-apocalyptic zombie survival simulator. Which is fine by the way, that play-style shouldn't be wiped out.. the game has to have villains in that regard.

I have only killed one person so far in the SA and it was because he opened the door of a military barracks I was in right as I was about to leave and I started to shout "whoa whoa put the axe down! put it down!" and he started swinging at me and coming after me so i put like 5 rounds from my handgun into him and killed him. I could have easily just opened fire as soon as he opened the door but I don't want to play that way for 2 reasons:

1) It's uninteresting. The social interaction with a game like this is awesome. Trying to treat another player like another human being rather than another NPC to knock off is interesting to me. shooting first and asking questions later is boring in my opinion.

2) with the new item degradation system, shooting someone will ruin what they have on them.. so if I'm going to try and take their stuff, I'd rather attempt taking them hostage so I don't ruin their beans.

What i wanted to say is that you cannot eliminate the KoS mentality. You can just reduce it by making KoS unattractive. If PvP is active, there will be KoS. KoS is the "bad" part of PvP.

Edited by Blue11

Then why half of the forum complained when I posted a video of me and my buddy raping fresh spawns on the coast ?   :P

Because you don't seem to understand the game, probably. 

• Like 2

I fail to understand why people continuously complain about being killed on sight. We are playing a game based in a post-apocalyptic zombie-infested world where food and water are rarities; a game where it can take hours of scavenging to build a somewhat decent supply of resources. You're living in a fairy tale world to believe that you should not be killed on sight, and for multiple reasons.

1) Food, water, and medical supplies are rare. My friend and I barely have enough to keep us alive between each town. If we see someone who appears to have anything we can use, they'll be killed on sight.

2) It's a dog-eat-dog world in DayZ. You're out of your mind if you think I'm going to trust someone who has absolutely nothing to lose by stabbing me in the back. Trusting a stranger in this game is instant suicide. If you're concerned with being killed on sight, avoid survivors at all cost. In a game that took me two hours to establish my character, you're damn right that I'm going to murder you to ensure that you don't pose a threat to me or my partner.

The majority of people who complain about killing on sight would do the exact same thing in the situation they were in; they're just angry that they ended up losing in the situation they were dealt.

Not saying your wrong because I hate it as well, but you do understand your being a hypocrite by do what is basically the exact same thing.

Also, I really don't know why people call hunting a "sport." It doesn't require athleticism. You hide in a bush or in a box eating beef jerky and then you shoot an unsuspecting animal. A sport implies there is some sort of competition or an ability to lose. Would you call playing tether ball against a person with no arms a "sport"? Ridiculous.

More "man with a bow" vs bear

• Like 1

No one is saying we don't want PVP. Some of us wouldn't mind if the PVP was not "mindless". In the mod I literally watched a guy running from zombies, stop to shoot a newspawn in Cherno with his Enfield and then get knocked down by the zombies and die. There was no point to the kill and it let the ones chasing him catch up as well as agro'd every other zombie in town onto him so he died... too zombies... in the mod. At that point he should have just logged from embarrassment but I saw his name pop up twice fairly quick and then he was back in Cherno running around. Watched him chase a guy with an axe and just had to roll my eyes and move on with my day.

So much for the idiot "hunting" for the lulz...got hunted down himself because he couldn't leave others alone. He clearly had NO reason to shoot the new spawn in fact if i was the guy with the rifle and beeing hunted by zeds i would keep running yelling at the other survivor to do the same. I had such an encounter where a buddy and i shot a player who shot another and he came back for seconds...shot me although we had better equipment than him ( Winchester vs. Makarov LOL ) so he shot me and missed, i didn't expect him to be so stupid to come back, i shot back and nailed him behind a toilet where he tried to run away over a street and i hit his leg and rendered him "less mobile". Of course the shooting drew in zeds and me and my buddy ran away...the guy got zombie raped.

IRL a lot of people don't want to be alone even if they have to build up trust first they would group up otherwise we would never have built a society. There are exceptions thought...those who run into a mall armed with a rifle or kill people in a sadistic...but those are exceptions unlike what happens in the game.

What i wanted to say is that you cannot eliminate the KoS mentality. You can just reduce it by making KoS unattractive. If PvP is active, there will be KoS. KoS is the "bad" part of PvP.

Exactly...nobody of us dislikes pvp if it is for a reason.

Edited by Enforcer

Bow hunting is quite a sport and I have much respect for anyone who can kill an animal with one. 

At least the animal has a chance there.

Edited by Lady Kyrah

Most people I know KoS because they know eventually there will be a thread with someone crying about it on these forums. 

• Like 1

I'm new to game, hence my post count, and have only been playing for a few days.  According to steam, I've played SA 15 hours.  

In that time, I've gotten more or less fully geared twice.  The first time I logged out, and when I logged back in the next morning- I was naked, and on the beach again, instead of geared and at the NWA where I'd logged.  Bummer.  

In between, I've been blown out of my shoes on or near the beach three times.  Once in Cherno, once in Elektro, and once who the hell knows, because I hadn't even gotten my bearings before some guy with an axe ran up and brained me.  These three experiences have been...formative.  

The second time, is still a work in progress.  I've been black and white for five hours, am sick, and can't find enough food or antibiotics to shake it.  I've had a few running shoot outs, been shot at out of the wild blue yonder with no warning or provocation (without being killed or wounded, thankfully), and I've killed two armed players who were encroaching on my resting place. (Trying to rest off the damn B&W).

Frankly, the idea of being surrounded by a population that contains KoS players makes the game more enjoyable for me.  The thought that at any moment I can be struck down by some guy in a random bush keeps me edgy, paranoid, nervous.  In short, I find it fun.

If it weren't for those guys, what exactly would I have to worry about?  Staving?  Nah.  I think I'd die of boredom.  Right now, I desperately need medication, or enough food & water to start the healing process..  I'm camped outside Zelenogorsk, and know I have a good chance of finding what I need- but I'm reluctant to enter for fear of being clocked by one of the KoS players.  Does that concern me?  Totally.  But it also makes the game worth playing.

Seriously, I'm having a blast.  

Edited by -DMG-Jonesy

If it weren't for those guys, what exactly would I have to worry about?  

You would still have to worry about those of us who will kill you for actual reasons other than, "Just because you exist." :) You might actually get some interaction besides gunfire.

You would still have to worry about those of us who will kill you for actual reasons other than, "Just because you exist." :) You might actually get some interaction besides gunfire.

Of course.  

My last interaction of the evening was running into two gentlemen in the military base hospital just south of Zeleno.  When I spotted them, I could have shot both in the back, but instead I asked over voip if they had any meds.  They spun around and started shooting, all the while yelling "friendly" back at me.  Fortunately, they didn't hit me, and I slunk off into the woods after deciding I was at a tactical disadvantage with my blurred vision, and bolt action.

In the future, I think I'll just shoot them if I find myself in a similar encounter.  

So far the only positive player interaction I've had is with fresh spawns, whom I have nothing to gain from, and who have nothing to gain from me.  We've exchanged pleasantries, and moved on.  Every armed player I've seen has either shot at me, or taken an aggressive stance.  

Still doesn't bug me- I'm loving the tense, death-around-any corner atmosphere.  

Edited by -DMG-Jonesy

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/158935-really-guys/

read. please. read.

KoS is a part of the game. dont like it? i have nothing to say but sorry.

Yes it is. Doesn't mean I have to like playing with retards who spawn next to me on the beach and immediately start punching me to no possible gain. I have no issue with killing. I have an issue with morons who think that because you spotted a player you have to go out of your way to kill someone who is of no consequence and or threat or who camp and shoot bambies as they spawn in. 

• Like 2

Actually... some of us don't. I don't KOS. I do kill others, but I don't KOS. BTW, KOS means Kill on Sight which means you literally kill players for no reason other than you noticed them. I will frequently spot others and let them go their way. I only take out obvious threats and am more than willing to help someone one even if I'll be super cautious about it the whole time. 

Also... did we really need yet another thread about it?

I second this.