Sign in to follow this  
TheHappyPeanut

Kill on Sight - Complaining

I fail to understand why people continuously complain about being killed on sight. We are playing a game based in a post-apocalyptic zombie-infested world where food and water are rarities; a game where it can take hours of scavenging to build a somewhat decent supply of resources. You're living in a fairy tale world to believe that you should not be killed on sight, and for multiple reasons.

1) Food, water, and medical supplies are rare. My friend and I barely have enough to keep us alive between each town. If we see someone who appears to have anything we can use, they'll be killed on sight.

2) It's a dog-eat-dog world in DayZ. You're out of your mind if you think I'm going to trust someone who has absolutely nothing to lose by stabbing me in the back. Trusting a stranger in this game is instant suicide. If you're concerned with being killed on sight, avoid survivors at all cost. In a game that took me two hours to establish my character, you're damn right that I'm going to murder you to ensure that you don't pose a threat to me or my partner.

The majority of people who complain about killing on sight would do the exact same thing in the situation they were in; they're just angry that they ended up losing in the situation they were dealt.

• Like 9

The majority of people who complain about killing on sight would do the exact same thing in the situation they were in....

Actually... some of us don't. I don't KOS. I do kill others, but I don't KOS. BTW, KOS means Kill on Sight which means you literally kill players for no reason other than you noticed them. I will frequently spot others and let them go their way. I only take out obvious threats and am more than willing to help someone one even if I'll be super cautious about it the whole time. 

Also... did we really need yet another thread about it?

• Like 7

It's funny how people actually think you can "fix" kill on sight.

There's nothing you can reasonably add to this game that is going to make me not kill you the second I see you. I'm broken, I can't be 'fixed". I like many other people, play this game to kill you.

• Like 2

Then why half of the forum complained when I posted a video of me and my buddy raping fresh spawns on the coast ?  :P

I tried to be the good guy when Standalone started, it seemed there was less KoS but I had to go back to killing everything I see. Kill of be killed.  :rolleyes:

I complained about it once or twice, the I realized that the best resolution is for me to shoot any player on sight that has a firearm in their hand, if their back is to me then I will use direct comms and tell them to drop their weapon etc, but 99% of the time they try to turn around and shoot me; resulting in their death.

Point is, KoS if the person has a gun in their hand, give food and water if the person has only an axe or fists.

Actually... some of us don't. I don't KOS. I do kill others, but I don't KOS. BTW, KOS means Kill on Sight which means you literally kill players for no reason other than you noticed them. I will frequently spot others and let them go their way. I only take out obvious threats and am more than willing to help someone one even if I'll be super cautious about it the whole time. 

"Kill on sight" means to kill upon seeing. That does not mean that you have no reason to kill them. It means nothing more than to kill upon seeing.

Really shooting any player that is armed is what i do but sometimes when you are bored you gotta go for a hunt. Really the people that get KOS unarmed at balota should be the ones to blame.

Balota is like deer bait and the unarmed players are like deer. Don't think like a deer and you wont get shot like one. Think like a human and survive by avoiding that place until you are armed. Get off the coast and stay hidden until you can acquire a weapon someplace up north.

Edited by Holylance

Then why half of the forum complained when I posted a video of me and my buddy raping fresh spawns on the coast ?

:facepalm: Yeah, because fresh spawns are a serious threat.

• Like 10

I fail to understand why people continuously complain about being killed on sight. We are playing a game based in a post-apocalyptic zombie-infested world where food and water are rarities; a game where it can take hours of scavenging to build a somewhat decent supply of resources. You're living in a fairy tale world to believe that you should not be killed on sight, and for multiple reasons.

1) Food, water, and medical supplies are rare. My friend and I barely have enough to keep us alive between each town. If we see someone who appears to have anything we can use, they'll be killed on sight.

2) It's a dog-eat-dog world in DayZ. You're out of your mind if you think I'm going to trust someone who has absolutely nothing to lose by stabbing me in the back. Trusting a stranger in this game is instant suicide. If you're concerned with being killed on sight, avoid survivors at all cost. In a game that took me two hours to establish my character, you're damn right that I'm going to murder you to ensure that you don't pose a threat to me or my partner.

The majority of people who complain about killing on sight would do the exact same thing in the situation they were in; they're just angry that they ended up losing in the situation they were dealt.

3) If you kill me, that's another mag wasted. If this was real life there wouldn't be ammo everywhere. You would save the ammo for the real threat, the zombies. You also wouldn't have the nerves to just kill everyone you see. You would go insane eventually.

I'm pretty sure that if this ever happened in real life, it would be pretty much like The Walking Dead. Most people would be friendly towards other people. If they don't have a reason to end another guys life than "Oh, i could use that backpack", then why bother. Let him go.

• Like 1

Food and water is rare?What game are you playing?On the coast maybe,but if you go north you will finde enough of everything. I doubt that more than 1% of all murders have been because of food. A lotof them are for gear,and most of them just for the lulz or because of paranoia(which isn't a bad thing)

• Like 1

It does not matter if fresh spawns are a threat. People hunt deer for sport and don't particularly care for the meat and you don't see the deer running around with an M4. WE hunt the players for sport because they make it easy for us to do so by being drawn to locations on the coast.

Edited by Holylance

It does not matter if fresh spawns are a threat. People hunt dear for sport and don't particularly care for the meat and you don't see the dear running around with an M4. WE hunt the players for sport because they make it easy for us to do so by being drawn to locations on the coast.

DEER. It's spelled DEER. FFS.

Edited by SalamanderAnder

I dislike killing on sight, but I never kill on sight. In an apocalypse, if you saw someone with good stuff, would you try and hold them up, or waste ammo and generate noise by shooting them?

Personally i dont play to kill people. I play for the survival aspects more. Interacting with layers can have a lot more reward that killing. Teaming up makes you more effective at....well....everything lol, All my dayz friends are people i met ingame (mostly in the mod) and we now play together a lot. 

I remember the first guy i trusted with my camp location....was so nervous for the first night, but when i logged back on i found like an extra tent up with loot and a new vehicle :) Theres also a bit of satisfaction to helping a newbie gear up then cut them loose on the world. 

The other side of the coin is when (in mod) iv helped a fresh spwan gear up, flown em all over to get military loot, then they shot me for the heli grrrr. Irony is that most of them crashed on takeoff lol. 

Theres up sides to both playstyles, but i just feel bad when i shoot someone for no reason. Also some really cool stuff can happen when your trying to be friendly, and managing to turn the tables on a backstabber is really rewarding :) 

3) If you kill me, that's another mag wasted. If this was real life there wouldn't be ammo everywhere. You would save the ammo for the real threat, the zombies. You also wouldn't have the nerves to just kill everyone you see. You would go insane eventually.

I'm pretty sure that if this ever happened in real life, it would be pretty much like The Walking Dead. Most people would be friendly towards other people. If they don't have a reason to end another guys life than "Oh, i could use that backpack", then why bother. Let him go.

The problem is that this isn't real life. I've had this discussion with friends. You would do things in DayZ that you would never do in real life. You would never kill someone in real life for a backpack. But in a virtual game, you have nothing to lose, no remorse. It makes it much easier. And using bullets on zombies is a bad idea because 1) it wastes ammunition and 2) attracts other players and additional zombies.

Without pvp the game would be boring. Otherwise you don't have to be careful. Imagine: No PvP  -> You can kill all Zombies with shooting on them. Someone hears the shot? No problem because there is no pvp.

So you guys are right. Maybe i am a bit mad after being killed but i do not complain.

Even an unarmed could be a spy or he could find a weapon.

"Kill on sight" means to kill upon seeing. That does not mean that you have no reason to kill them. It means nothing more than to kill upon seeing.

*sigh* No "good" reason. Killing a newspawn headed away from you or no where near you with no way of being a threat to you only because you spotted them is Killing On Sight. Determining that guy crouched in the bushes is just waiting for someone to try and enter that building and flanking him then taking him out, is not. Remember, not all spawn points are on the coast now, so you can run into newspawns up in Novy and other towns very easily.

What I am saying is that some of us actually don't go, "Player." and decide to pull the trigger while in the same situations where you stated we do or will. We don't, so saying we do is incorrect.

Pretty much this. I follow this train of thought. Except I don't help people very often. I tried giving an unarmed survivor water, and he pulled out his fists...

Except you're better off trying to rob them than killing them on sight since your bullets will degrade and even ruin the items on said victim.

I mean.. if that's your actual motivation and not "hurr durr, let's just kill that guy for the lulz"

What else you supposed to do? Avoid the zombies? Rebuild Civilization? Escape the infected zone? Find you missing family? Give me something else to do or to strive for and I'll put off killing folk for entertainment longer. As for the banditos who crack on about how they love making people rage with their KOS and noob shoot gallery. The only people who get upset are new players who don't realise it doesn't actually take much to become dangerous. 

Without pvp the game would be boring. Otherwise you don't have to be careful. Imagine: No PvP  -> You can kill all Zombies with shooting on them. Someone hears the shot? No problem because there is no pvp.

So you guys are right. Maybe i am a bit mad after being killed but i do not complain.

Even an unarmed could be a spy or he could find a weapon.

No one is saying we don't want PVP. Some of us wouldn't mind if the PVP was not "mindless". In the mod I literally watched a guy running from zombies, stop to shoot a newspawn in Cherno with his Enfield and then get knocked down by the zombies and die. There was no point to the kill and it let the ones chasing him catch up as well as agro'd every other zombie in town onto him so he died... too zombies... in the mod. At that point he should have just logged from embarrassment but I saw his name pop up twice fairly quick and then he was back in Cherno running around. Watched him chase a guy with an axe and just had to roll my eyes and move on with my day.

Also, I really don't know why people call hunting a "sport." It doesn't require athleticism. You hide in a bush or in a box eating beef jerky and then you shoot an unsuspecting animal. A sport implies there is some sort of competition or an ability to lose. Would you call playing tether ball against a person with no arms a "sport"? Ridiculous.