Sign in to follow this  
serenityrick

Damn. Heart racing. (With pics!)

Probably not worthy of a new thread but I'm going to post anyway.

Earlier today I was exploring some of the new areas with a friend. We were at that new area north of Chernogorsk with the tall apartment buildings and he decided to provide overwatch from a somewhat nearby building with a Mosin and a badly damaged scope (great idea!) while I looted the two super markets in Dubky. After a relatively unsuccessful trip I started to make my way back across the field when all of a sudden I heard a very sharp and VERY LOUD crack of a bullet whizzing by my head.

In Mumble I laugh and ask my friend, "Was that you?" (thinking he was just messing with me)

Before he could answer all of a sudden there was a BARRAGE of gunfire from the south. Bullets hitting all around me. I'm yelling "Shit! Shit! I'm taking a ton of fire!" (Pic of initial contact. My friend is on the roof to the northern most building)

sxg5ua.jpg

I turn 180 degrees and look for any cover at all. All I see is that patch of trees and I zig zag my way through them.. all the while bullets are whizzing by my head and hitting the ground all around me. I'm yelling "There's at least two of them! Holy shit for the love of God give me cover fire!"

And he's like "Dude I can't fucking see them. Where are they!?"

While running I hold alt and turn to look behind me and I see one of them crossing the road to try and flank me. "One of them is on the road trying to flank just below you!". At this point my screen is completely washed out and the gunfire stopped after I lose them in the trees. I quickly bandage myself and finish up just as one of them starts firing again. I somehow manage to not get shot despite taking what seems like forever to stand up from a crouching position to retreat back to these apartment buildings:

2e4hreq.jpg

I get into the building and make my way to the 4th floor and look out the window. My friend finally has visual on both of them heading north. It seems as though they gave up the hunt.. but then my friend decides to try and take them out. He misses and they turn around and stay huddled in the bushes just north of my buddy's position. He starts laying down fire to keep them pinned in that location as I make my way to flank:

20b1q45.jpg

I am now within maybe 20 yards of them hiding behind a tree.. unfortunately these guys were very twitchy DayZ players. They would CONSTANTLY move.. back and forth back and forth. They literally did not stop moving. Felt like I was watching someone play Unreal or something, haha. So I slowly made my way up to a bush within just FEET of them and one of them decides to run out into the field. I have a pretty good view of him so I shoot him about 4 times in the chest and he goes down. HIs friend immediately starts back tracking and looking for me. I look back at the first bandit and he's already getting up. He was just unconscience and apparently only for a moment. I put another couple rounds in him and then I have no choice but to assume/hope he died and start worrying about his friend. 

We circle some bushes and I say to him "Hey hey hey.. let's not shoot eachother okay? let's just stop." .... no answer ... he round the bush and I try and put the remaining shots of my clip into him but I only had one shot left.. *clickclickclick*... shit... I try and run away and he puts me down.. seconds later he puts the finishing bullet into my head and I die.

My friend chronicles the conclusion of the firefight over mumble for me as I begin collecting gear from scratch at Chernogorsk.

They make their way into the building and get to the final ladder up to the roof and they start yelling at him to come down.. my friend tells them to come up (lol).. this goes out for about 5 minutes or so and then silence.

My friend was like "Shit.. he's probably ghosting to another server.. let me go and put myself in a corner so they don't flank me".. and he turns around to get a good position and he runs right into the guy... who teleported right behind him (via ghosting to another server) and kills him.

Such a lame ending to an otherwise great encounter.

Long story short... the adrenaline I felt as bullets whizzed by me as I'm being absolutely barraged by gunfire was fucking amazing and the ensuing fight and general encounter was really fun! But overall left a bad taste in our mouths since in the end they ended up "winning" because one of them abused the system rather than just accepting the stalemate. -_-

• Like 19

That was a great experience truly worthy of its own thread. I wish more people used pictures to lay down what was going on like you. I was genuinely excited reading that.

The end made me disappoint and frustrated. Once server hopping is fixed and that is prevented, losers like that won't have much of a choice. You and your friend appear to have handled that well, good job for sticking to your guns. Even though you died you both had a great DayZ moment. This is why I love DayZ.

Edited by Diggydug
  • Like 2

That was a great experience truly worthy of its own thread. I wish more people used pictures to lay down what was going on like you. I was genuinely excited reading that.

The end made me disappoint and frustrated. Once server hopping is fixed and that is prevented, losers like that won't have much of a choice. You and your friend appear to have handled that well, good job for sticking to your guns. Even though you died you both had a great DayZ moment. This is why I love DayZ.

And hindsight is always 20/20.. after seeing how twitchy they were, I should have backed off the flank. My original plan was to hopefully come up behind them and tell them not to move and then tie them up thinking they would be prone, careful and still.. hard to do that when they are running back and forth like chickens with their heads cut off. :P

And unfortunately my friend was a bit too far away to make much of a difference with the Mozin with a broken scope :(

A broken scope is a worthless scope if you ask me, but yes, hindsight reveals all. You did well regardless, it's always different in the "now", and if you're new to DayZ then you seem to be on the right track to handling others. They got the jump on you and you still kept your head. Better than most and they're obviously bad shots if you weren't killed outright.

Probably not worthy of a new thread but I'm going to post anyway.

One of most worthy threads posted so far!

• Like 1

A broken scope is a worthless scope if you ask me, but yes, hindsight reveals all. You did well regardless, it's always different in the "now", and if you're new to DayZ then you seem to be on the right track to handling others. They got the jump on you and you still kept your head. Better than most and they're obviously bad shots if you weren't killed outright.

I think they were pretty far away when they started to shoot at me with their M4s because like I said, the first shot I didn't even hear. I just heard the crack of the bullet as it whizzed by me which is why I thought it was my friend, haha. 

And from what I read on the forums, the M4 is wildly inaccurate at medium to long range in the SA.. But either way, whether they were bad shots or really far away to start,(or both), I'm glad for it so I could survive long enough to enjoy it!

Nice story, I do hope Combat logging/Ghosting is fixed soon  :( . Anyway, enjoy some  :beans:

NICE but yes server hopping whores and the brightness and gama setting tweak for darkness seem to be 2 of the biggest issues for me

TL;DR

Sorry man. I didn't think of the children when making this thread  :(

Edited by serenityrick
  • Like 4

Nice story. I love stories that don't always end with the author triumphing because often the difference between success and failure is tiny and out of our hands. It sounds like you did everything right and things still went wrong.

TL;DR

11-12 paragraphs? Really? Hardly a long story.

Edited by Mercules
  • Like 1

TL;DR

Nobody cares.

OT. Cool story. It fucking sucks that they ghosted, what a cop-out. It's that kind of shit that makes me think "well jeeze, your friend should have just combat logged." Which is a very sad cycle indeed. Can't wait until they fix that.

• Like 2

Nobody cares.

OT. Cool story. It fucking sucks that they ghosted, what a cop-out. It's that kind of shit that makes me think "well jeeze, your friend should have just combat logged." Which is a very sad cycle indeed. Can't wait until they fix that.

Yeah he even mentioned that he had ample opportunity to combat log but we both make an effort not to do that. Hell, when the guy killed me, I stayed logged in at the "you are dead screen" so he could loot my body if he wanted. (although, when you hit esc you can kind of see your dead body and I admit I let my sniper friend know when he was at my body trying to take stuff ;) He wasn't able to get a shot off though)

Good story! I really liked the how you laid out the maps and may use that if I ever get in such a situation.

Sorry man. I didn't think of the children when making this thread  :(

It's alright.

Long story short... the adrenaline I felt as bullets whizzed by me as I'm being absolutely barraged by gunfire was fucking amazing and the ensuing fight and general encounter was really fun!

And this is why I was saying in threads about m4 accuracy (that is to about 100 meters) that it is a good thing for gameplay.

If not 'limited' accuracy all action on that distance would end after 2-3 shots.

• Like 1

I'll just point out that this "great experience" that turned into a "great story" and got OP's "heart racing" is really just a couple of guys trying to KoS him.

But, you know, KoS is totally a major problem that needs to be dealt with or it's going to ruin the game.

Right?

I'll just point out that this "great experience" that turned into a "great story" and got OP's "heart racing" is really just a couple of guys trying to KoS him.

But, you know, KoS is totally a major problem that needs to be dealt with or it's going to ruin the game.

Right?

You have no clue what the motivation of the two players involved was. For all you know they attempted to avoid him and ended up with him right smack in their direction of travel. He had a gun in his hands and basically was a threat headed in their general direction. Yes, they tried to kill him but you and the OP have no clue if they went, "LoL! Player! Shoot Him!" or "Damn, we were going to hit that grocery store. Now he probably has anything that was useful in it. We could try and rob him... oh crap he is coming back this way. I guess we just shoot him."

• Like 3

And this is why I was saying in threads about m4 accuracy (that is to about 100 meters) that it is a good thing for gameplay.

If not 'limited' accuracy all action on that distance would end after 2-3 shots.

And after living through the initial barrage, I completely agree now. I mean they were close enough to hit me once and luckily I wasn't knocked unconscious but still, they had to be pretty far away.. and that should be the risk/reward with firearms in this game. If you want to make sure your bullets count, you should basically have to get closer if you're not using a long rifle.

Prior to this, my same friend and I were just testing accuracy nearby while we both sat on separate rooftops north of Cherno. After reading about everyone in this forum complaining about gun accuracy I said "Okay.. one shot. See if you can hit me at that distance. I'll even post another map of our test:

D5k5Qxy.png

He was using the same Mozin with the "Badly Damaged" scope. Granted it wasn't exactly a record setting snipe or anything, but I fully expected the shot to miss. Instead I hear about .001 second of the shot audio and my screen goes black instantly and I see the words "You are dead."

That seems totally fine to me. It's a long rifle and I was completely still. If he was using an M4, I would expect most shots to miss or barely graze me and that's how it should be.

• Like 1

Right?

You have no clue what the motivation of the two players involved was. For all you know they attempted to avoid him and ended up with him right smack in their direction of travel. He had a gun in his hands and basically was a threat headed in their general direction. Yes, they tried to kill him but you and the OP have no clue if they went, "LoL! Player! Shoot Him!" or "Damn, we were going to hit that grocery store. Now he probably has anything that was useful in it. We could try and rob him... oh crap he is coming back this way. I guess we just shoot him."

Absolutely. I'm not pissed at all that they were trying to kill me on sight.. and I'm certainly not an advocate for trying to get that mentality out of the game.

The only thing I was irked at was the combat logging/server ghosting shit. The encounter legitimately ended in a total stalemate and that's how it should have ended. Instead the player(s) in question felt the need to abuse the current system to end it on their terms.